PDA

View Full Version : What time do you eat dinner ?

n2ize
12-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I generally eat dinner after 9:00pm, often around 11:00pm or even midnight. Anyone else eat very late dinners ?

K7SGJ
12-09-2011, 09:08 PM
4pm to 6pm usually. In bed by 8pm or so on weeknights.

NQ6U
12-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Between 6:00 and 7:00PM usually.

KC2UGV
12-09-2011, 10:22 PM
I generally eat dinner after 9:00pm, often around 11:00pm or even midnight. Anyone else eat very late dinners ?

That isn't dinner. That's supper.

Dinner occurs from 4PM until 6pm. Dinner is the final meal of the day, following dinner.

n2ize
12-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Wow, 4:00-6:00pm... I have to start planning my dinner (or supper) earlier.

WØTKX
12-09-2011, 11:02 PM
My work hours are currently 12PM to 11PM. So, yea, I eat late.

KC2UGV
12-09-2011, 11:25 PM

"I don;t dine. I take sup at 9..." - Dracula

PA5COR
12-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Between 19.00 and 21.00 hours.
( Left over from France dining time)

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 11:25 AM

How continental! :agree:

About 7. And more and more, the OF "early bird special" age!

N8YX
12-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Small meals - 5-6 - every day, about 3 hours apart. Whenever I'm hungry. Might be earlier; might be later...

KK4AMI
12-10-2011, 12:56 PM
1730 to 1800. Trained that way by my Father who expected dinner and family on/around the table when he got home from work!

NQ6U
12-10-2011, 01:13 PM
1730 to 1800. Trained that way by my Father who expected dinner and family on/around the table when he got home from work!

You haven't eaten in 211 years?? No wonder you're so grumpy. Go have yourself a nosh.

HUGH
12-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Around 1800 (hours that is, not the year).

KB3LAZ
12-10-2011, 02:51 PM

No, just tell them you are a European trapped in an Americans body. Its the one thing that is strange to get used to. I used to have dinner at about 5pm, now I have dinner at 11pm. Then again many Americans plan their dinner on a day that starts at between 6-8 am. (mills etc starting work normally around 7 and offices at 9.) In Spain at least (cant speak for the rest of Europe) most work days start between 9am-12pm. Ofc this means that breakfast shifts up in time therefore lunch and dinner shift in time as well.

On the other hand, my father eats dinner at 10 am as he works 3rd shift.

n2ize
12-22-2011, 06:11 PM
It that time of the year when i start going for 2:00-3:00 am dinners.

N8YX
12-22-2011, 07:43 PM
We just ate.

Mexican.

At our favorite little non-chain restaurant. :yes:

KG4CGC
12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
It that time of the year when i start going for 2:00-3:00 am dinners.

You live in Nuw Yawk. You can eat any time you want.
Here in the South, if you're a true Southerner, for breakfest you eat fried eggs sunny side up or or a little cooked on the top too. Sausage and bacon. Grits and biscuits with gravy made from the bacon and sausage fat copiously poured over your biscuits.
For lunch you eat a ham sandwich on white bread, usually two with mayonnaise, bacon and salt. A brine pickle and fried potatoes or potato chips if you're in a hurry.
At dinner time you sit down to a meal of fried pork chops, mashed potatoes with pork gravy and butter, a few boiled green beans with gravy, biscuits and for dessert either bear claws or pie and ice cream.
Coffee with breakfest. Coke with lunch. Sweet iced tea with dinner. Milk with dessert.

W1GUH
12-22-2011, 09:12 PM
"Sausage and bacon. Grits and biscuits with gravy made from the bacon and sausage fat copiously poured over your biscuits."

Now there's a breakfast! Shoney's buffet!

"At dinner time you sit down to a meal of fried pork chops, mashed potatoes with pork gravy and butter, a few boiled green beans with gravy, biscuits and for dessert either bear claws or pie and ice cream."

You left out the greens, always with the pork in 'em. And corn bread!

"I'M HUNGRY!!!" But...outta luck; Sector R and all.

As for dinner time? OF's sometimes have to plan that around their pill schedule!

K7SGJ
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
"Sausage and bacon. Grits and biscuits with gravy made from the bacon and sausage fat copiously poured over your biscuits."

Now there's a breakfast! Shoney's buffet!

"At dinner time you sit down to a meal of fried pork chops, mashed potatoes with pork gravy and butter, a few boiled green beans with gravy, biscuits and for dessert either bear claws or pie and ice cream."

You left out the greens, always with the pork in 'em. And corn bread!

"I'M HUNGRY!!!" But...outta luck; Sector R and all.

As for dinner time? OF's sometimes have to plan that around their pill schedule!

For some, all the pills ARE dinner.

W1GUH
12-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Ayup!

KG4CGC
12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeup, cornbread, made in a hot cast iron skillet in a wood fired potbellied oven.
Or coal, the closer you get to West Virginia.

ki4itv
12-23-2011, 11:49 AM
That isn't dinner. That's supper.

Dinner occurs from 4PM until 6pm. Dinner is the final meal of the day, following dinner.
where I come from "dinner" is served at the same as lunch would be. The main difference being what you eat it with...lunch, is eaten with your hands, while dinner would require silverware.
Typically, I eat very late.

W1GUH
12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
As I recall from HS Spanish class, in Spain es custumbre to take a long lunch, like 3 hours, for dinner and siesta, then work late. After that go out "promenading" for supper. Sounds like a wonderful custom. Especially that siesta mid-day. This OF always gets very sleepy just after lunch.

KB3LAZ
12-23-2011, 04:35 PM
As I recall from HS Spanish class, in Spain es custumbre to take a long lunch, like 3 hours, for dinner and siesta, then work late. After that go out "promenading" for supper. Sounds like a wonderful custom. Especially that siesta mid-day. This OF always gets very sleepy just after lunch.

From what I ave experienced this is true but only on days that you do not work. Example: Pilar will have a hefty lunch with friends, head home for a nap, get up and continue her day. This is not feasible during a work day. Lunch on average is 1 hour. Often times it is the same here. A former boss once told me "You know you have a shitty job when you only get a half hour lunch".

Basically how it breaks down is tiny breakfast, huge lunch (normally in multiple small courses), and mid size dinner. Normally my in-laws to be break lunch up into two-three meals over a few hours. More often than not we eat five times a day not three.

Best advice for you if you wish to mingle in Spain without looking like a tourist. Do NOT order paella for dinner. Sure fire way to stick out like a sore thumb. Paella for lunch, tapas for dinner.

Though as a side note, HS Spanish is normally based on Mexican culture not Spanish. One of my best friends being from Mexico and my bride to be from Spain I can tell you the cultures have very little in common.

W1GUH
12-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Though as a side note, HS Spanish is normally based on Mexican culture not Spanish. One of my best friends being from Mexico and my bride to be from Spain I can tell you the cultures have very little in common.

I had a twinge of maybe I was confused. Thanks for the clarification.

And Mmmmm tapas. Going to a Spanish food place for Christmas Eve. Gonna munch on Spanish food all night! And not a taco in sight!

n6hcm
12-23-2011, 08:11 PM

that depends on where you grew up. where i grew up (the bronx) castellano was taught with the puertorriqueño flair (although one of my profesoras was a madrileña so we'd get both sides). since i've only ever spoken spanish in spain and in east harlem this flexibility has served me well.

suddenseer
12-23-2011, 08:35 PM
I eat dinner when I can remember to. I usually only have a handful of something. I have to go to bed on an empty stomach, so I try to eat the last meal of the day before 6:00 pm. I am like Fred, I graze 5 times a day with a meal being something I can fit in one hand.