PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of Pearl Harbor

W3WN
12-07-2011, 08:05 PM
On his way home tonight, Jim WB4GCS mentioned on the repeater...

...yes, my club members actually talk to each other on the club repeater during the commute hours...

...that earlier today, there was a ceremony honoring Pearl Harbor veterans, including his dad, Al AC4KU. KDKA-TV was there filming it, and Jim was hoping that they'd put a few seconds on the air.

They did more than that. They did a 4 minute story on it, featuring Al. Turns out that he says he is the person who fired the first shot at Pearl Harbor, 70 years ago (about 20 minutes before the sneak air attack, at a mini-sub trying to infiltrate the harbor. He sunk it)

On top of that, in the coverage there was also a short clip of Jim (who is himself a retired US Navy captain) talking about how proud the family was of his dad.

In a word: Cool!

I'm hoping that KDKA will post the story on their web site. If they do, I'll post the link. Ditto if it shows up on YouTube or a similar video service.

(And if you haven't already done so today, a moment to honor the memory of all those who served in that terrible conflict isn't a bad idea.)

K7SGJ
12-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the post. As I recall, the USS Ward was the ship that sunk that sub. That was an amazing story in and of itself. Tell them both, thanks for their service.

W3WN
12-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the post. As I recall, the USS Ward was the ship that sunk that sub. That was an amazing story in and of itself. Tell them both, thanks for their service.
Here's the link: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/12/07/pearl-harbor-survivor-recounts-day-of-infamy/
And, yes, he served on the Ward.