PDA

View Full Version : Knight Star Roamer

w2amr
12-07-2011, 05:30 PM
I finally got around to repairing the little Knight Star Roamer receiver that I bought at a yard sale last summer for 8 bucks. After a clean up, I had to re string the dial cord. When the receiver was turned on it just hummed. Tests indicated the 4 section paper electrolytic filter cap wasn't doing anything but taking up space on the chassis. I replaced it with 4 new caps. I also replace the old selenium rectifier with a new 1N5408 diode. Then I hit all the pots and switches with Deoxit D5. I have been DXing the AM broadcast band with it hooked up to my inverted vee. It's amazing such a simple design can work so well.

K7SGJ
12-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Man, that cleaned uo nicely. It is amazing how well the old radios work. Good job.

NQ6U
12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Nice job! I can only pick out two new caps, though.

W1GUH
12-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Lookin' good! Thanks for the pix.

w2amr
12-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Nice job! I can only pick out two new caps, though.The 33 @ 160 and 47 @ 50 are pretty small.

W3WN
12-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Very nice!

Jeff K1NSS
12-08-2011, 01:02 AM
Nice Star Roamer! Some older bros from the family album.

Jeff K1NSS
12-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Do you wanna Roam the Stars, Span the Space, Master the Span, or Hop the Ocean? I built an Ocean Hopper in 6th grade,my first shortwave receiver, and went for the complete coil kit. Notice the Long Wave plug in coil is 79 cents vs 65 cents for the others. If you wanna hear those frantic international distress calls, you gotta pay the piper, not to mention the coil winder with Litz wire patience. While the top of the line Span Master was futuristically tempting, I confess the O-Hopper's baroque trap door and retro plug in coils caught my eye something wicked. The vanilla Space Spanner gave you budget bandswitching, but... I do recall the Spanner being the spotlight project of a later iteration of the Boys' Book of Radio & Electronics, which represented some supplemental instructions if ya got in a jam, but....it was about as spacey as Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon, without the flat out Captains Courageous old school swashbuckle of the Hopper, goofy name and all.

$2.00 down. Anyone buy any of these on time?

W1GUH
12-08-2011, 04:21 AM
I've got a copy of that Allied catalog I got on eBay, complete with order forms. Always wondered what would happen I I ordered on on the time payment plan today? Would the original order form have special properties in it that would transport back to the day? And I'd get the treasure by return mail?

w2amr
12-08-2011, 06:02 AM

N8YX
12-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Almost makes me want to run out and buy an SB-303/SB-310 pair.

Almost.

Good job, George!

W1GUH
12-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Almost makes me want to run out and buy an SB-303/SB-310 pair.

Almost.

Good job, George!

Stay away from the solid state LMO.

W3WN
12-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Do you wanna Roam the Stars, Span the Space, Master the Span, or Hop the Ocean? I built an Ocean Hopper in 6th grade,my first shortwave receiver, and went for the complete coil kit. Notice the Long Wave plug in coil is 79 cents vs 65 cents for the others. If you wanna hear those frantic international distress calls, you gotta pay the piper, not to mention the coil winder with Litz wire patience. While the top of the line Span Master was futuristically tempting, I confess the O-Hopper's baroque trap door and retro plug in coils caught my eye something wicked. The vanilla Space Spanner gave you budget bandswitching, but... I do recall the Spanner being the spotlight project of a later iteration of the Boys' Book of Radio & Electronics, which represented some supplemental instructions if ya got in a jam, but....it was about as spacey as Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon, without the flat out Captains Courageous old school swashbuckle of the Hopper, goofy name and all.

$2.00 down. Anyone buy any of these on time?Back in my Novice days, I had a Space Spanner. I honestly don't recall now how I came up with it, but I think I bought it a the annual auction the old Livingston (NJ) ARC W2MO had as their annual fundraiser. I had a lot of fun listening to it.

When we moved from NJ to PA, of course it came with us, but didn't work as well (I'm sure the antenna at teh time had a lot to do with it), and I foolishly canabalized it for another project one day.

One day, I'll pick up another one, just for nostalgia's sake.

K7SGJ
12-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Nothing works as well when taken from NJ to PA.

Jeff K1NSS
12-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Nothing works as well when taken from NJ to PA.

Hah! Post Jersey traumatic stress...

"and I foolishly canabalized it for another project one day."

Lotta that went on. One always kept a predatory eye on one's radio herd, watching for signs of weakness, decline, a certain melancholic dishevelment indicating the device in question had outlived its purpose, whatever its prior utility, novelty, or sentimental value. Be great to put a frame around that moment, when, in one's mind's eye, a childhood electronic friend suddenly looks like a dirty old Merc on blocks, begging for release and reincarnation as a warbley one tube Hartley oscillator destined to make space noises on 20 meters.

W3WN
12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Nothing works as well when taken from NJ to PA.Not true! When it comes to corrupt and self-serving politicians, PA has NJ beat hands down.

W1GUH
12-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Hah! Post Jersey traumatic stress...

"and I foolishly canabalized it for another project one day."

Lotta that went on. One always kept a predatory eye on one's radio herd, watching for signs of weakness, decline, a certain melancholic dishevelment indicating the device in question had outlived its purpose, whatever its prior utility, novelty, or sentimental value. Be great to put a frame around that moment, when, in one's mind's eye, a childhood electronic friend suddenly looks like a dirty old Merc on blocks, begging for release and reincarnation as a warbley one tube Hartley oscillator destined to make space noises on 20 meters.

Amen! My first receiver was an AR-3. It suffered an undeserved fate when I finally got a "good" receiver. Today, AR-3's are rare at hamfests. Haven't seen one in decent condition for a looooooooooog time. This might explain it. I'd LOVE to have one now.

R.I.P, trusty AR-3. Hated it for a few reasons. Looking back, probably the BEST entry-lever novice receiver out there, especially with the QF-1.

n2ize
12-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I finally got around to repairing the little Knight Star Roamer receiver that I bought at a yard sale last summer for 8 bucks. After a clean up, I had to re string the dial cord. When the receiver was turned on it just hummed. Tests indicated the 4 section paper electrolytic filter cap wasn't doing anything but taking up space on the chassis. I replaced it with 4 new caps. I also replace the old selenium rectifier with a new 1N5408 diode. Then I hit all the pots and switches with Deoxit D5. I have been DXing the AM broadcast band with it hooked up to my inverted vee. It's amazing such a simple design can work so well.

Wow, that sounds exactly like what I have going with my dad's old tube Zenith portable that I am fixing. I replaced the selenium rectifier and now I am replacing the 4 section electrolytic condenser with 4 new electrolytic condensers. I also replaced all the other wax paper caps with modern day orange drops.

w2amr
12-10-2011, 04:13 AM
Wow, that sounds exactly like what I have going with my dad's old tube Zenith portable that I am fixing. I replaced the selenium rectifier and now I am replacing the 4 section electrolytic condenser with 4 new electrolytic condensers. I also replaced all the other wax paper caps with modern day orange drops.It's only a matter of time before the old selenium rectifier fills your shack with toxic stinky smoke when it gives up.:ugh:

n2ize
12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
It's only a matter of time before the old selenium rectifier fills your shack with toxic stinky smoke when it gives up.:ugh:

It already started to happen. I powered uip the radio on the bench and wasn't getting any voltage to the tube filaments. A minute later I noticed a very foul odor. I thought that a mouse or rat or something died behind the bench and was rotting.Then I noticed smoke coming from the selenium rectifier and the wirewound series dropping resistor was glowing red. I don't think the selenium rectifier was bad but it was looking right into a short, perhaps the 4 section filter cap that followed it. That's why there is a silicone rectifier in its place now.and the 4 section filter condenser is being replaced with 4 new electrolytic s. Once I get it rewired up correctly (knock on wood) the thing should play...I hope.

w2amr
12-10-2011, 03:06 PM
It already started to happen. I powered uip the radio on the bench and wasn't getting any voltage to the tube filaments. A minute later I noticed a very foul odor. I thought that a mouse or rat or something died behind the bench and was rotting.Then I noticed smoke coming from the selenium rectifier and the wirewound series dropping resistor was glowing red. I don't think the selenium rectifier was bad but it was looking right into a short, perhaps the 4 section filter cap that followed it. That's why there is a silicone rectifier in its place now.and the 4 section filter condenser is being replaced with 4 new electrolytic s. Once I get it rewired up correctly (knock on wood) the thing should play...I hope.You should have it made now.

KG4CGC
12-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Good work. those things have been going for well beyond their value on ebay last couple of weeks.

w2amr
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Good work. those things have been going for well beyond their value on ebay last couple of weeks.Yeah, I don't think I'll lose any money on it.:-D

K7SGJ
12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
FWIW when you replace a selenium with a silicon, there is an increase in voltage due to the better efficiency of the silicon rectifier. The old tube radio probably isn't too fussy about a little higher voltage, but the capacitors won't be as tolerant because of age and some manufacturers used to use components that were right on the ragged edge of voltage specs. You just may want to keep an eye on it for a bit prior to letting it go unattended.

Some of the old VTVMs used a selenium stack in them, and when replaced with silicon, the 6AL5 or whatever it had in it would get very active and monophonic causing bizzare readings. The plate resistor had to be changed a bit and the unit recalibrated, but it was progress.

n2ize
12-10-2011, 06:37 PM
You should have it made now.

I hope so. These old tube portables were very cramped for space and it's easy to miss something or make a mistake. You get dizzy following the schematic and then trying to find the component in the chassis. Fortunately I have all the old schematics, etc. It's actually much easier to work on my old Viking2 or Valiant than this thing.

Oh and guess what I noticed. Somebody had a wrong tube in one of the sockets. So now I have to order an extra tube. I need an 1LN5. Antique Radio has them for about $4.60/ea.

n2ize
12-10-2011, 06:41 PM
FWIW when you replace a selenium with a silicon, there is an increase in voltage due to the better efficiency of the silicon rectifier. The old tube radio probably isn't too fussy about a little higher voltage, but the capacitors won't be as tolerant because of age and some manufacturers used to use components that were right on the ragged edge of voltage specs. You just may want to keep an eye on it for a bit prior to letting it go unattended.

Some of the old VTVMs used a selenium stack in them, and when replaced with silicon, the 6AL5 or whatever it had in it would get very active and monophonic causing bizzare readings. The plate resistor had to be changed a bit and the unit recalibrated, but it was progress.

Well, I replaced all the wax condensers with modern poly condensers rated at higher voltages. But I'll still keep an eye on it. Also the voltage increase can take its toll on the 1 volt filaments so I am going to experiment with a higher value series resistor and drop the value down gradually until I am at the correct voltage.

Earlier versions of this particular portable used a tube rectifier. In this version the chasis is drilled for the rectifier tube but they never installed it. They went with the selenium rectifier instead.

Yeah, I have some old test equipment that has selenium rectifiers inside.

kf0rt
12-10-2011, 11:03 PM
In a way, the 'Roamer launched a lot of stuff here. My Dad built one back in the 60's and I spent a lot of time listening to it. No doubt heard my first shortwave broadcast on that box. Nephew lays claim to it now, and I'm certain it still works and is in good hands.

Brings back some fond memories.

K7SGJ
12-10-2011, 11:28 PM
I always thought it would be neat to turn on one of my old receivers and hear the same stuff that came out of the speakers back in the day. (cue the twilight zone music) It never ceases to amaze me how the sight or sound of something can transport me right back to a specific time and place many many years ago. I guess I'm amazed cause I can't remember yesterday.

n2ize
12-11-2011, 04:47 AM
I always thought it would be neat to turn on one of my old receivers and hear the same stuff that came out of the speakers back in the day. (cue the twilight zone music) It never ceases to amaze me how the sight or sound of something can transport me right back to a specific time and place many many years ago. I guess I'm amazed cause I can't remember yesterday.

Well, one way to do it would be to grab hold of an old recording of a broadcast from the 1930's - 1950's, play it through a very low power AM transmitter, and tune it in on the old radio. Not quite the same as going via the "Twilight Zone" but it will work.

WØTKX
12-11-2011, 11:51 AM
We had one of those in our Jr. High Radio club. I remember bringing in my Globe Patrol regenerative RX to try them out together. Was pretty shocked that the Globe Patrol played so well against it, especially with weak signals. The Star Roamer was much easier to use, as the tuning dial wasn't so "touchy".

W1GUH
12-11-2011, 12:06 PM

The essence of vintage radios, IMHO. Ill never forget the sounds that came out of the AR-3 my dad built and then was my novice receiver. The hams, of course, but the most vivid memories are of teletype -- the distinctive sound without the BFO turned on, or the sound of Russian Jamming. The Russian jamming always sounded to me like a wind band playing a long, sustained chord. In my 7 year-old mind I thought that that's what the "band" switch and the "band" tuning was talking about!

KD5FRE
02-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Dug out my old Star Roamer that I put together on me and wife's 1st wed anniversary(48 yrs ago)..I've hauled that sucker everywhere we lived..sometime along the way it stopped working so I just set it aside..I'm starting back in Ham hobby and it was in cabinet where I stored my old ham gear..Looked it up on web and saw a bunch of folks got old ones going..so I ordered some new caps to replace the single one..they came in yesterday and I'm going to start working on it in am..

K4PIH
03-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Had a Span Master as a kid. My uncle (couldn't change a light bulb) bought the kit and totally f'd the build. If I remember it right he plugged it in and turned it on and immediately found his dumb ass on the floor. Threw it in a box and brought it over and said here nephew you can have it! My dad (a freaking electronic genius) took a look at it and told me unsolder every thing and cut out what you can't. Dad basically r e-file the parts list from his many parts boxes and erased all the check marks from the manual and told start from scratch. Took me about a week after homework but it fired up first time. It was a regenerative set and not superhet so it took some practice to tune. Wish I still had it would remind me of dad.

kb2vxa
03-05-2015, 10:14 AM
It's nice to see a classic so easily restored and looking like it just came out of the box. AM BC DXing was my first love when I got my first radio, an "All American 5" in a Bakelite cabinet and discovered far away stations between the locals at night. That's when every city had its own local "flavor" so I recognized familiar ones and they IDed with their call letters every half hour. Oh the frustration when just as the ID started they went into a fade! Then the FCC dropped that requirement and we were left with duplicated and confusing logos, add satellite driven robots duplicated in every major market, I gave up. Wouldn't it be nice like an episode of The Twilight Zone with the old guy listening to Fibber McGee and Molly and Gang Busters on his antique radio? That Knight would take me back to the glory days of AM rock and roll. <sigh>

The circuit reminds me of my first shortwave receiver, a chassis I scrounged from a B&W TV, record player and radio combo, the radio had AM and SW on it. Without an RF stage the pentagrid converter fed the LO signal back into my 50ft wire antenna making a mess of the TV in the living room when I tuned above 18mc so I had to stay below it when the parental units were watching. Somehow I still prefer megacycles, now it makes mega Hertz in my head. So now does Mike R. Farad ride his Megahertz to do the wild thing with Milli Amp at ground potential by a flowing current? It sure ruined The Sex Life Of An Electron!

WØTKX
03-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Stop eating those mushrooms from Headly O' Possum. :mrgreen: