PDA

View Full Version : Don't try this at home

w2amr
12-07-2011, 04:16 AM
We're what they call professionals.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/06/9259533-mythbusters-cannonball-goes-through-nearby-house

W3WN
12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
oopsie

K7SGJ
12-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Can't wait to se the out takes on that one.

W3WN
12-07-2011, 11:50 AM
"Recalculating!"

n2ize
12-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Sounds like Mythbusters shouldn't try it either. Maybe they should change the name of the show to Wallbusters,

NQ6U
12-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Can you say "lawsuit?" Sure, I knew you could.

On the other hand, if it had been my house that they'd put the cannonball through, I would have told them "Just fix the damage, give me a job with you guys and we'll call it even."

kf0rt
12-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Can you say "lawsuit?" Sure, I knew you could.

On the other hand, if it had been my house that they'd put the cannonball through, I would have told them "Just fix the damage, give me a job with you guys and we'll call it even."

I hear they might have an opening for a range safety officer.

W5RB
12-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I hear they might have an opening for a range safety officer.

And a good drywall man.

N2CHX
12-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Heh, I'm surprised this sort of thing hasn't happened already with them. Love the show but some of the things they do are downright batshit. Right up my alley, I want a job with 'em. Dan and I have friends who moved from BUF to SF and are trying to convince us to move. If the climate here keeps screwing with my heart as much as it has been, we may do so.

K7SGJ
12-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I heard the homeowner told em to grab their balls and beat it.

NQ6U
12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Dan and I have friends who moved from BUF to SF and are trying to convince us to move.

My home town. You'd either totally love it or utterly despise it.

NQ6U
12-07-2011, 04:41 PM
By the way, more detail on the cannonball incident is available here (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/06/BA1D1M99V5.DTL). It did more damage than just the pictured hole in the wall.

K7SGJ
12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Been reading some of the news reports about this. It seems the cannonball took a very bizarre and unintended trajectory. Happily, no one was hurt. The damaged property can be fixed or replaced. I just hope this incident doesn't get the "crazies" all riled up and cause problems for the show and those on it. It just demonstrates that even with an abundance of safety precautions and planning, things can still go horribly wrong. Maybe they should do a show called "shit happens".

n2ize
12-07-2011, 11:13 PM
It's a miracle nobody was seriously hurt or killed .I don't understand why a TV show should be permitted to enact stunts with this much of a danger potential. The real question is, why do we need a show like Mythbusters ? This is not peer reviewed science. This is silly reality TV, The reason for crap shows like this is because they are cheap crappy entertainment for the brain dead masses. Gone are the days of real TV shows with talented writers and real drama and/or humour. The shit that passes for entertainment these days really gets me sick to my stomach. All the more reason why I don't own a TV set and I don't want one. No doubt they will get hit with some lawsuits. And hopefully charges of reckless endangerment. Unfortunately since they are a major TV show I am sure even kf they eventually kills someone money, connections, and influence will clear them of any negligence or wrongdoing.

KA9MOT
12-08-2011, 03:40 AM
It's a miracle nobody was seriously hurt or killed .I don't understand why a TV show should be permitted to enact stunts with this much of a danger potential. The real question is, why do we need a show like Mythbusters ? This is not peer reviewed science. This is silly reality TV, The reason for crap shows like this is because they are cheap crappy entertainment for the brain dead masses. Gone are the days of real TV shows with talented writers and real drama and/or humour. The shit that passes for entertainment these days really gets me sick to my stomach. All the more reason why I don't own a TV set and I don't want one. No doubt they will get hit with some lawsuits. And hopefully charges of reckless endangerment. Unfortunately since they are a major TV show I am sure even kf they eventually kills someone money, connections, and influence will clear them of any negligence or wrongdoing.

I agree! Bring back Gilligan's Island and The Gong Show!

700 yards after hitting an earthen berm. That is almost 1/2 mile. Pretty impressive I'd say. Until today I have never been impressed with Mythbuster's science.

W3WN
12-08-2011, 08:42 AM
On the one hand, I'm surprised that something like this hasn't happened before, considering how long Mythbusters has been on the air. It was only a matter of time. It goes to show that despite all the calculations, taking all possible & reasonable precautions and then some... stuff happens.

I'm sure that the show has plenty of liability insurance to cover the situation as well. The homeowner & the minivan owner (where the cannonball landed) will be properly compensated.

Besides, if the show's producers have a lick of sense in them... don't say it... they will make this incident a single-show "special" and discuss what happened and why, how this can happen even to professionals... don't say it... and why you should not try this stuff at home, ever.

On the other hand, look, the show is not hard science, it is entertainment. That some science and some actual learning & "techable moments" get thrown in as well is merely a bonus. Don't expect too much out of it.

On the other hand, our old ways were once new, weren't they?... On the other hand, they decided without parents, without a matchmaker!... On the other hand, did Adam and Eve have a matchmaker?... oops, sorry, must have fallen asleep during Fiddler on the Roof again last night...

NQ6U
12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
if the show's producers have a lick of sense in them... don't say it... they will make this incident a single-show "special" and discuss what happened and why, how this can happen even to professionals... don't say it... and why you should not try this stuff at home, ever.

That would make for a great show but Hyneman and Savage have already said they wouldn't air footage (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/07/BAN31M9Q81.DTL) of the shot that went awry.

w2amr
12-08-2011, 11:39 AM
IMHO the show jumped the shark years ago, I don't even watch it anymore. However, if this is the kind of stuff that will be happening on a regular basis...........

W3WN
12-08-2011, 12:01 PM
That would make for a great show but Hyneman and Savage have already said they wouldn't air footage (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/07/BAN31M9Q81.DTL) of the shot that went awry.That footage will show up somewhere sooner or later. And it might make a great "special" (or part of one) one day, if they ever discuss when things went wrong, and why.

That aside, the important thing is:

They acknowledge the error.
They accepted responsibility.
They will make amends.

There may yet be a lawsuit. (The one homeowner sounded torqued off, but he may calm down. Or, he may not. ) And it sounds like the sherrif's department that runs the range is investigating and will, no doubt, take steps to prevent this from happening again. But so far, they're doing the right thing.

And let's be honest, the publicity will bring renewed interest in the show. Not their intention, of course, but it won't hurt.

n2ize
12-08-2011, 04:10 PM
The thing is, what if someone, or several people, were killed ? All the liability in the world can't buy back a persons life. Apparently they did come pretty close to killing several people, including some children.. I seriously question the need for a TV show to be playing around with anything that possesses this much destructive and lethal potential. Fortunately nobody was killed this time. Next time they may not be so lucky and, as far as next time goes" it's not a matter of "if" but "when". I am sure they can accomplish an entertaining show without having to engage in stuff this dangerous.

W3WN
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm not going to second-guess them. No argument that it could have been a real tragedy, and that they got very lucky.

Hopefully, the next time they perform a stunt on this level, IF they ever do again, it will be done in an area where an accident like this just can't happen.

ab1ga
12-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Hopefully, the next time they perform a stunt on this level, IF they ever do again, it will be done in an area where an accident like this just can't happen.

Or where it won't be noticed, like... Camden!

Or where nobody will mind very much, like... New Hampshire!

KA9MOT
12-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Or where it won't be noticed, like... Camden!

Or where nobody will mind very much, like... New Hampshire!

Mile upon mile of empty desert in California...... I'm surprised they do any of their stunts where people live close by.

kf0rt
12-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Mile upon mile of empty desert in California...... I'm surprised they do any of their stunts where people live close by.

Bingo.

NQ6U
12-08-2011, 08:57 PM

True, but it's a very long way from San Francisco to the nearest stretch of desert. And even then, that desert is not as empty as you imagine it to be.

ka4dpo
12-09-2011, 04:17 PM
I can recall a couple of accidents during military training exercises. One time a DIVARTY group fired a 105 off the reservation at FT Hood, TX. It landed in town and damaged a house. The owners never had to work again.

In another one, the Marine Corps was training out in 29 Palms area. A gunship crew got off level somehow and fired on what they thought was a mockup. It was someones home.... Did quite a bit of damage to the house and vehicles but no one was injured. They no longer have to work either..

W3WN
12-09-2011, 05:13 PM
True, but it's a very long way from San Francisco to the nearest stretch of desert. And even then, that desert is not as empty as you imagine it to be.No matter how empty, barren, or worthless that stretch of desert appears to be, there will be at least one environmental whacko group that will cry foul over despoiling the environment.

KA9MOT
12-09-2011, 05:35 PM
True, but it's a very long way from San Francisco to the nearest stretch of desert. And even then, that desert is not as empty as you imagine it to be.

I know, still they could move something like that to the desert. In 1985 I moved to San Bernardino (long way from SF) to take a job driving dump buckets. I used to off road in the desert. You can go a very long way (miles) before seeing another human of structure.

NQ6U
12-09-2011, 08:44 PM
No matter how empty, barren, or worthless that stretch of desert appears to be, there will be at least one environmental whacko group that will cry foul over despoiling the environment.

Very little of the California desert that's been left in it's natural state is barren or worthless. Except when people have come along and fucked it up for mineral extraction or other use, the desert is actually quite beautiful and full of life.

K7SGJ
12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Very little of the California desert that's been left in it's natural state is barren or worthless. Except when people have come along and fucked it up for mineral extraction or other use, the desert is actually quite beautiful and full of life.

Yep, that's why we live in here. The lakes are nice, the woods are nice, the ocean is nice, but I like my desert. We have lived here all our lives, and we never get tired of it. There is much beauty that many overlook as just arid and lifeless desert. Although we don't get a dramatic and colorful change of seasons like many do, it still has drama of its own. Even after a whole bunch of years out here, we still find things we've never seen before. I couldn't be happy living anywhere else.