PDA

View Full Version : Space heater for the shack!

KA9MOT
12-05-2011, 12:15 AM
A few years back I was working on a very part time basis for a local Chrysler dealer as a driver. I would go to various auto auctions around the country or other dealerships and pick up vehicles. Every once in a while I'd get a run that was a little different. This is a story of one of those trips that was a little different and leads to my new loaner space heater that will be arriving on Tuesday.

John (The dealership owner) called me about 9PM on a very cold winter night (2007 maybe 2008 ) and asked me if I could make an overnight trip to Wisconsin. I'm not one to turn down a road trip and since everything I did for John payed well I told him I could. When I got to the dealership, John and another guy (Dean) was waiting on me and John had a new Chrysler van warm and toasty and ready to go. Dean had sold John a Dodge Truck on eBay and had delivered it thinking he could get a rental car and drive it back to his home in the Madison, WI. area. Unfortunately, Dean had arrived in our small town long after the car rental place had closed, so I was asked to drive him home.

The trip started out with the usual small talk and expanded to other things in short order. The topic of Ham Radio came up (I'd brought along my Kenwood TM-d700a and APRS setup), and Dean told me he used to be a Ham with a Novice Ticket but had gotten out of the hobby. We talked for hours about the hobby, new rules, and how much I enjoyed the hobby. We talked about other stuff too...cars etc.

A few months later I received a PM on "DA ZED" from Dean. Based on our conversation he had decided to get back into the hobby and he was granted the vanity call K9QB. What a blast. I was very happy to hear this news. We have kept in touch via email and have had 1 QSO.

Anyway, Dean knows I had to sell all of my equipment and he knows I have been trying unsuccessfully to borrow a rig. He bought a Kenwood TS-130S on QTH and was going to loan it to me, but the rig arrived DOA. So, he has decided to send me his perfect Heathkit HW-101 with speaker and PS.

I'm so freakin excited about this! I had a HW-101 that I gave away that I absolutely loved, and here lately I've been thinking about how good that big old green monster would look at my operating position, and was very sorry I gave it away (I gave it to a new ham, who traded it off). Now, temporarily I'll have another!

WOO-HOO!

W1GUH
12-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Woo-hoo is right! Great story.

KA9MOT
12-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Woo-hoo is right! Great story.

I thought so. Kinda cool how things sometimes work out.

W1GUH
12-05-2011, 02:44 AM
You said it. Enjoy!

KC2UGV
12-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I love hearing stories like this :) Gives me hope for mankind.

K7SGJ
12-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Excellent story and outcome. When you're ready to spark it up, post some times and freqs.

NQ6U
12-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Very cool, Steve!

W3WN
12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Very cool indeed.

N2CHX
12-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Nice!

PA5COR
12-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Congrats !

Though my Yaesu FT 2000 D will use max 750 watts in full output as well.... ( 200 watt AB or 75 watts Class A)...

WØTKX
12-05-2011, 02:33 PM
You gotta make a Lego faceplate for the Hot Water 101. :mrgreen:

KA9MOT
12-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Congrats !

Though my Yaesu FT 2000 D will use max 750 watts in full output as well.... ( 200 watt AB or 75 watts Class A)...

That'll warm the shack nicely. A more efficient space heater.

KA9MOT
12-05-2011, 04:44 PM
You gotta make a Lego faceplate for the Hot Water 101. :mrgreen:

LOL!

He is shipping it with FedEx today.

KA9MOT
12-08-2011, 04:50 AM
And it arrived yesterday. It has some problems, but I'll get them worked out in short order.

PA5COR
12-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Looks like you have your weekend priorities set now ;)

Good luck!!

W3WN
12-08-2011, 12:12 PM
I miss my "classic" station.

When I was a Tech, I'd gotten my hands on an HW-100, but wasn't quite happy with it; it had had some problems at a club Field Day, which were probably more related to the environment at the time. So I ended up working out a trade with then-KC3CL (now K3SK), who needed a smaller rig. He got the '100, I got an HT-37 & an SX-101A. I already had an SB-301, ended up selling the SX-101A for more than I paid for the '100... I wouldn't do that now, but at the time, I needed the $$$.

So when I finally got on the air for real, so to speak, it was with an HT-37, SB-301, and a little Dentron Jr. Tuner & a "ham" Lafayette SWR bridge.

Over time, the originally '37 smoked a power transformer, it's replacement got sold when I was out of work; the SB-301 got loaned out, came back DOA, and was sold off; the Dentron was loaned to a student of mine who joined the Peace Corps, took it to 6Y with him, and never came back. The SWR bridge I still have; it's one of the few pieces of my old WN2 shack I have left (along with a J-38 straight key my Boy Sprout troop gave me, and an Ameco AC-1 transmitter), and I've since picked up another Dentron Jr. Tuner.

One of these days, I'll get my hands on another HT-37. Too bad that they've become "collectors" items now, they used to be plentiful (the power transformer usually smokes, though, it just doesn't hold up after 50 years), and another SB-301.

In the meantime, though, I have a Swan 350 station to rehab. Complete with mobile PS, and several matching accessories...

KA9MOT
12-08-2011, 04:49 PM
My brother (The former KA9MOT) gave me his old Novice Station, a HT-37 and SX-101. I had my oldest carry it in the house for me. He carried both (You know how heavy that HT-37 was), the receiver on top, and dropped them in the laundry room. I could have killed him. Did you know that is real glass covering the dial on the SX-101? It breaks :(

W1GUH
12-08-2011, 04:52 PM
'WN:

In the meantime, though, I have a Swan 350 station to rehab. Complete with mobile PS, and several matching accessories...

Something to while away the time on the way to Dayton next year!

KA9MOT
12-09-2011, 10:16 PM
OK, I figured out that this rig only oscillates in the USB mode. It's a place to start.....