PDA

View Full Version : Installing XAMPP

N1LAF
12-03-2011, 09:31 PM
XAMPP is an integrated server package of Apache, mySQL, PHP and Perl (the AMPP in XAMPP) that all run from a removable drive. Everything is pre-configured and ready to go just by unzipping or installing it.

http://portableapps.com/apps/development/xampp

I just downloaded and installing this software bundle... let's see if it really works...

Apache 2.2 service is starting...

N1LAF
12-03-2011, 09:41 PM
XAMPP appears to be up and running...

W4GPL
12-03-2011, 10:24 PM
*cringe*

Why.. on.. earth? Just install Linux in a VM or something..

I know most F/OSS guys really hate on Windows -- I don't. I don't give a crap what people want to use for their operating environments. But there are just so many more efficient ways of achieving the same goal.

Edit: Windows 'hosting' environments is such an afterthought.. it's remarkable it even runs, much else well..

N1LAF
12-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I have my reasons, and do not want to get into an OS pissing war.

Most computers run Windows.

I thought this would be a neat idea to run a web server from a USB stick. I also want to run phpBB3 from the stick too, just because.

I can take this with me, and run from another computer or system - portable..
I have some ideas, I want to try them out.
Gives me a platform to learn new things, like pHp...

WØTKX
12-03-2011, 10:41 PM
The new Windows 8 Server is pretty cool, been messing with an eval version.

Our IT department is diving headlong into Hyper V, and it's really helped them out.

KC2UGV
12-03-2011, 11:12 PM
*cringe*

Why.. on.. earth? Just install Linux in a VM or something..

I know most F/OSS guys really hate on Windows -- I don't. I don't give a crap what people want to use for their operating environments. But there are just so many more efficient ways of achieving the same goal.

Edit: Windows 'hosting' environments is such an afterthought.. it's remarkable it even runs, much else well..

To be fair, development work with webapps is often times more convenient with a local install, which doesn't have too much pain involved in setup/teardown.

LAMP can be a pain in the arse to completely clean out of a Linux install (Since it drops libs all over, which aren't removed by most package managers).

I use WAMP2 as a dev platform sometimes. Especially the portableapps version (It does in fact, run in Linux too, using WINE).

kf0rt
12-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Got the okay last week to play with Linux Embedded at work. Seriously; no deadlines or agendas for a bit, and I've only dabbled with Linux.

Wish I was a kid again, but this could be fun. Ordered a couple of these:

http://www.advantech.com/products/PCM-3343/mod_645A1E17-167A-4476-B253-CA4CF2E19428.aspx

KC2UGV
12-03-2011, 11:14 PM
The new Windows 8 Server is pretty cool, been messing with an eval version.

Our IT department is diving headlong into Hyper V, and it's really helped them out.

I haven't had a chance to play with Hyper V, as my shop uses grown-up hypervisors (ESX and VIO); so Hyper V hasn't made much headway here (Although, I've heard nothing by good from it, and it has drivers in the Linux kernel as of 2.6.23)

N1LAF
12-03-2011, 11:54 PM
This is turning into a bad project. Cannot get XAMPP to work right. Problem in working with the Windows firewall. Looks like I'll have to scrap this program...

KC2UGV
12-03-2011, 11:57 PM
This is turning into a bad project. Cannot get XAMPP to work right. Problem in working with the Windows firewall. Looks like I'll have to scrap this program...

Bear in mind, portableapps are supposed to work on ANY machine. However, software running servers never plays well in that scenario (Servers assume you are a sysadmin).

N1LAF
12-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Cannot get it it to work right, MySQL is not running as the program think it is, or something stupid.

I got XAMPP to work on an older computer, but not this one....

Crappy

KA9MOT
12-11-2011, 08:30 PM
XAMPP appears to be up and running...

DOH!!!! I tried to click the "X" in the top right corner of your image to close the window.......Jeez! :oops:

WØTKX
12-11-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.mogmachine.com/xampp-vs-mampp/