PDA

View Full Version : Potato Chips

n2ize
12-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I remember back in the early 60's when Lay's came out with Barbecue chips. They seemed like Da BOMBA... They were really hot. Anyone remember the early days of falvoured commercial chips ?

W3MIV
12-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I remember when both potato chips and pretzels were sold in five-gallon cans. The chips sure held up one hell of a lot better than they do now in bags stuffed on the shelves by truck drivers with hairy forearms.

W4GPL
12-03-2011, 07:14 PM
http://colorado.doortodoororganics.com/product_picts/phpuOeqen
Best potato chips, ever.

NQ6U
12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
truck drivers with hairy forearms.

I resemble that remark. And I remember when chips came in great oaken barrels and we had to walk six miles barefoot through the snow (uphill both ways) to get 'em, too. Kids these days have it too easy with their fancy "barbeque" chips. No wonder this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

kf0rt
12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
We spend close to $1,000 a month on groceries here at the ØRT hotel (really). And I'm the driver on nearly every trip to the store.

What I know about potato chips: A ten pound bag of potatoes is pretty cheap. Slice 'em and fry 'em in a totally automated process and a 1 pound bag of Lay's costs almost five bucks (about the same as that ten pound bag). A one-pound bag of frozen french fries is the same deal (and they always come out soggy). That's a huge profit for a bit of processing and packaging.

Never much cared for the flavored stuff. Stuck my hand in a bag of Lay's looking for a small handful this week and my daughter said "you know those are vinegar and garlic, right?" I said "Watch me eat just one."

Seriously carb challenged these days; try to avoid the stuff.

K7SGJ
12-03-2011, 08:44 PM

NQ6U
12-03-2011, 08:46 PM

Which reminds me: what the hell has happened to our barkeep?

kf0rt
12-03-2011, 08:57 PM

I miss Charles.

ab1ga
12-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Still walkabout. Cornered him on the Zed, told him I was still waiting for that drink. He seemed in pleasant spirits, (pun not originally intended, but what the hell), but did NOT say anything about returning. Told him he was missed, by more than one.

W5GA
12-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Bet you can't eat just one.

HUGH
12-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Here we have a language variation. My chips look like this:

http://cdn2.wn.com/pd/98/a9/e249876c60c59e98514382d4738e_grande.jpg

and these are crisps:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6CFHY0FsTiAYN05QVr0n9Nf7eLW7Rg pYvGdt-K-AbQvy14vHbDKWfx8YijA

NQ6U
12-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Here we have a language variation.

How's that old truism go? That England and the U.S. are two countries separated by a common language?

W1GUH
12-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I remember when both potato chips and pretzels were sold in five-gallon cans. The chips sure held up one hell of a lot better than they do now in bags stuffed on the shelves by truck drivers with hairy forearms.

I remember those. Well, I remember the can, but I believe by the time I was aware enough, they'd stopped that practice. But my father collected random hardware in one of these:

http://www.antiquemystique.com/images/8532_jpg.jpg

I believe that New Era was a pre-cursor to Lay's.

Man, that image brings back memories!

n2ize
12-04-2011, 08:25 PM
These are great in cans. And well aged.

http://www.sevengraylands.com/brain/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/survival-cracker.jpg

W1GUH
12-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Might need those! Does it say when they expire?

W5GA
12-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Does it say when they expire?
40 years ago.

K7SGJ
12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
40 years ago.

You ought to see the cheese.

W4GPL
12-04-2011, 09:43 PM
There's nothin' mo' betta than gov't cheese.

W3WN
12-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Might need those! Does it say when they expire?
40 years ago.
You ought to see the cheese.
Executive Officer Martin T. 'Marty' Pascal (http://forums.hamisland.net/name/nm0001705/): Jesus, Buckman! This stuff's been on the Stingray since Korea! This can expired in 1966!
Seaman Buckman (http://forums.hamisland.net/name/nm0132637/): [tasting contents of can] What's the matter sir? It still tastes like creamed corn.
Executive Officer Martin T. 'Marty' Pascal (http://forums.hamisland.net/name/nm0001705/): Except it's - DEVILED HAM!
Seaman Buckman (http://forums.hamisland.net/name/nm0132637/): Now that would be a problem.

W3MIV
12-05-2011, 11:03 AM
When I took over my resident office in 1965, I had C Ration boxes that were labeled 1954. When we went into the field, we were not supposed to open those C Rations -- they were to be husbanded against need. We were to make use of whatever field mess might be available, which meant none for a detached MI team. (Remember, this was in '65 and resupply problems were not so simple as now, and we faced the largest concentration of hostile armor the world had ever known just the other side of the Fulda Gap.)

We ate the rations and I brought the empty cartons back to my HQ supply point; of course, the supply sergeant and the supply officer both pitched a hissy fit. I left with rations dated 1960. After the next filed problem, I turned those empty cartons in and was issued rations that were only a year old.

If a can is not swollen or oozing, it is likely OK. I believe that most stuff now labeled "Best if used by..." is so annotated as a bullshit scare tactic to get one to throw it away and buy another. It is not the same as "Sell by..." or "Use by..." which are appended to perishables.

W3MIV
12-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Anybody remember the Chunky bars packed in C Rations that bore a camou wrapper?

K7SGJ
12-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Ate plenty of Cs, but never saw the camo wrappers. Could I interest you in some ham and lima beans?

W3MIV
12-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Ate plenty of Cs, but never saw the camo wrappers. Could I interest you in some ham and lima beans?

I remember ham and limas very well. Never had to worry about constipation, that's for sure. The Chunky in our packs was labeled as an "Energy Bar," but bore a tiny Chunky logo just above the ingredients list (nuts, raisins and chocolate). Some of the earlier packs had a Hershey bar with almonds instead of the Chunky. Mostly they were older packs and the chocolate bars had been heat streaked, often so badly you just threw it away.

There were also cans containing about three hardtack biscuits and a small can of "plastic cheese" (which drove the troops bananas because they could never understand that "plastic" meant spreadable) and a similar can of hardtack biscuits and a jam or jelly, usually grape. I also remember green beans in some kind of tomato sauce in some packs and another that I thnk was supposed to be meat balls. Three cigarettes, a tiny opener, a packet of toilet paper, sugar (that was often hard as a rock), phony creamer powder and coffee.

What we didn't want to eat, we buried; all I had to do was bring the empty cartons back to the supply room and listen to a long, ration of shit. It was worth it.

K7SGJ
12-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Yep. I still have a few P38 can openers. The ham and scrambled eggs (powered of course) wern't too bad, and the pork slices weren't bad either. If the cooks weren't lucky enough to have the garbage cans with the heaters (which we used to heat the Entre), the manifod on our duece and a halfs worked just fine, if you didn't leave it on too long. I do remember the hockey puck rolls and jam. For drinks we had either a lemonade sorta thing, or an add water and heat chocolate drink by Hersheys. The smokes (hard as a rock and foul as hell) often found their way into trading or gaming stakes. Had a few K rations that were really bad. Eating dirt was an improvement over them.

W3WN
12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Heat oil in a small pan. Add a touch of garlic for flavoring if desired. Not so hot that the oil burns.

Slice a potato, very thin.

Add slices to hot oil, turn once or twice as desired. Remove when fully cooked. Salt as desired.

Add a touch of dill weed to the slices prior to cooking for additional flavor.

For a slightly smoky flavoring, do this over a charcoal grill. Cover grill while cooking except to turn the potato slices (and anything else grilling).

W3MIV
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
The ham and scrambled eggs (powered of course) wern't too bad, and the pork slices weren't bad either.

I forgot about the pork slices, which in our packs were like Spam. Key around the top edge, and there were four slices in goo.

I lived in the lap of luxury. I had a six-man hex tent for a team of two. We also had a diesel fired Mountain stove that chased out the German winter. Trouble was, we were constantly on the go and rarely had time to set up a proper camp. It was too visible, anyway, so we almost always rolled the bags out in the open.

We were equipped with the "new" M-151 utility vehicle, which was one of the worst POSs Uncle Sugar ever bought. Damn things would roll over in a heart-beat, and went through wheel bearings like other vehicles went through fuel. Worse, due to the number of fatal accidents then taking place (around the clock it seems) USAREUR issued a flat prohibition against canvas on any M-151 other than the MPs.

Some fun memories to look back forty-five years; tweren't always fun at the time.

K7SGJ
12-05-2011, 02:53 PM
They also forgot to put suspension in the M151A1, too. Hit a bump and your spine would compress a few inches.

W1GUH
12-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Heat oil in a small pan. Add a touch of garlic for flavoring if desired. Not so hot that the oil burns.

Add slices to hot oil, turn once or twice as desired. Remove when fully cooked. Salt as desired.

For a slightly smoky flavoring, do this over a charcoal grill. Cover grill while cooking except to turn the potato slices (and anything else grilling).

Sounds delicious!

K7SGJ
12-05-2011, 02:57 PM

I have a mandolin slicer that I can adjust for very thin slicing. I use it to slice the spuds, and then do the oil in the cast iron skillet thingy. Poblem is, I seem to eat them all as they come out of the pan. Never tried the dill, but will. I sometimes use garlic salt on them, or for BBQ flovor, I sprinkle a bit of BBQ rub over them whlie they are a little "wet" after frying. Damn. Think I'll go make a few right now. Good stuff on a brisk day.

HUGH
12-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Some ideas for you including chips (crisps) made from root vegetables:

Tyrrells Crisps

Lightly Sea Salted
Sea Salt & Cider Vinegar
Mature Cheddar & Chives
Sweet Chilli & Red Pepper
Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
Sunday Best Roast Chicken
Ludlow Sausage & Mustard
Worcester Sauce & Sundried Tomato
Honey Roast Ham & Cranberry
Naked (No Salt)
Sour Cream & Roasted Garlic

Vegetable Crisps

Beetroot, Parsnip & Carrot Crisps with a pinch of Sea Salt
Parsnip Crisps with Black Pepper & Sea Salt
Beetroot Crisps with Sea Salt

Furrows Potato Crisps

Sea Salted Furrows
Mature Cheddar & Pickled Onion Furrows
Sea Salt & Vinegar Furrows

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/9/2163/zx655.jpg

W1GUH
12-05-2011, 03:33 PM

What kind of potatoes are best for this?

W3MIV
12-05-2011, 03:39 PM
What kind of potatoes are best for this?

As my maternal grandfather, Timothy Michael Hurley, would have pointed out with a wry smile, "Irish" potatoes, of course.

W3WN
12-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I have a mandolin slicer that I can adjust for very thin slicing. I use it to slice the spuds, and then do the oil in the cast iron skillet thingy. Poblem is, I seem to eat them all as they come out of the pan. Never tried the dill, but will. I sometimes use garlic salt on them, or for BBQ flovor, I sprinkle a bit of BBQ rub over them whlie they are a little "wet" after frying. Damn. Think I'll go make a few right now. Good stuff on a brisk day.
Same problem here. If I make them on the stove, they go as fast as each batch cooks. At least when I do them on the grill, they get served with the chicken... except, of course, that the wife has to "test" each batch to make sure they're "OK"

W3WN
12-05-2011, 04:14 PM
What kind of potatoes are best for this?I usually use Idaho white potatoes (baking), as that's what we keep in the pantry. But I've done it with New and Red potatoes as well with equally good results.

Oh, I prefer to use Corn oil instead of a generic/blended one. But I've also started to use Olive oil from Aldi's for most cooking, I think it has a lighter taste. Haven't tried it with this recipe yet, but I do like the olive oil better when I do home fries (shred or chop the potatoes, cook until done. I usually add chopped up onion, peppers, and sometimes zuchinni for additional taste).