PDA

View Full Version : Island statistics...

W1GUH
12-01-2011, 12:41 AM
There's this line at the bottom of some pages:

"There are currently 43 users browsing this forum. (1 members & 42 guests)"

When I see it there are usually mucho guests browsing. Any numbers on how many "guests" we have?

W4GPL
12-01-2011, 01:26 AM
The term "guests" is pretty generic. Guests are any unidentified entity.. A guest can be a random user, a regular HamIsland participant who hasn't yet logged in, or may simply be an automated search engine 'bot' trolling the website for content. The guest statistic is far from accurate and should be generally discounted..

W1GUH
12-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Thanks!

W3WN
12-01-2011, 06:13 AM
The term "guests" is pretty generic. Guests are any unidentified entity.. A guest can be a random user, a regular HamIsland participant who hasn't yet logged in, or may simply be an automated search engine 'bot' trolling the website for content. The guest statistic is far from accurate and should be generally discounted..Our $.99 special then?

N7YA
12-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Hell, if its not random bots, lets give em show, boys!

K7SGJ
12-01-2011, 08:27 AM

Fembots?

N8YX
12-01-2011, 08:59 AM

Fembots?

"Why don't you loosen up your bullets or something?"

Nevermind; wrong movie...:shifty:

NQ6U
12-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Fembots?

We need more of those here.

WØTKX
12-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Statistically, an Island is surrounded. :mrgreen:

W3MIV
12-02-2011, 06:56 AM
But, no man is an island...

W4GPL
12-02-2011, 06:58 AM
Our $.99 special then?Sounds a little pricey, especially if you factor in the gross tonnage of The Island membership. ;) There's lot of volume around here..

NQ6U
12-02-2011, 09:47 AM
But, no man is an island...

With the possible exception of Hajji Rudi, of course.

W5GA
12-02-2011, 09:52 AM
With the possible exception of Hajji Rudi, of course.
I thought he morphed into a helicopter?

W3WN
12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
But, no man is an island...With the possible exception of Hajji Rudi, of course.I thought he was an island all to himself?

Damn it, now I'm getting a craving to go out and get a taco at lunch time.

NQ6U
12-02-2011, 10:10 AM
I thought he was an island all to himself?

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make.

So, just fire up the APU on your Bell 47, use your obsolete Motorola radio to bring up the phone patch on your local repeater and call in a take-out order.

W3WN
12-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm old-fashioned. I would never order take-out over an autopatch.

Besides, why let everyone else know where the food is? I can think of at least four free-loaders who would suddenly decide to remember that I'm their friend...

K7SGJ
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM

An isthmus, perhaps.

W1GUH
12-02-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm old-fashioned. I would never order take-out over an autopatch.

Besides, why let everyone else know where the food is? I can think of at least four free-loaders who would suddenly decide to remember that I'm their friend...

"I'm old-fashioned. I would never order take-out over an autopatch."

WTF? Using a autopatch IS old-fashioned by now!

K7SGJ
12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
It's a good tool to check to see if your cell phone is working.

W1GUH
12-02-2011, 05:46 PM
It's a good tool to check to see if your cell phone is working.

Very cool. You can have a conversation with yourself to entertain those listening!

W4GPL
12-02-2011, 05:54 PM
There's a guy on the local 220 repeater who calls his wife every day on the auto patch. I know for certain he has a mobile phone.. :dunno: Just like to air his business in public, I guess. ;)

W3WN
12-02-2011, 06:11 PM
"I'm old-fashioned. I would never order take-out over an autopatch."

WTF? Using a autopatch IS old-fashioned by now!Ain't that the truth!

When I lived in State College, there were a few of us who would get together during lunch a couple of times a week at the Roy Rodgers restaurant on West College Avenue. We'd have a variety of HT's on us, and it was almost a given that at some point during the gathering, someone would bring up the autopatch on the 146.76 machine. Without fail, you'd see a half dozen hams reach for their HT's, turn up the volume, and proclaim (almost in unison) "It's Showtime!"

W1GUH
12-02-2011, 06:24 PM
There's a guy on the local 220 repeater who calls his wife every day on the auto patch. I know for certain he has a mobile phone.. :dunno: Just like to air his business in public, I guess. ;)

The only car telephone call I heard, back in the day of the old fashioned ones (1962) , went like this. Some guy was calling a bar...

"Is [girl's name] there?"

"Yea"

"Tell her to go f herself."

"I don't know...wearing those tight pants and all."

n2ize
12-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Ain't that the truth!

When I lived in State College, there were a few of us who would get together during lunch a couple of times a week at the Roy Rodgers restaurant on West College Avenue. We'd have a variety of HT's on us, and it was almost a given that at some point during the gathering, someone would bring up the autopatch on the 146.76 machine. Without fail, you'd see a half dozen hams reach for their HT's, turn up the volume, and proclaim (almost in unison) "It's Showtime!"

Interesting. When I was in college I was the only person who had an HT or knew what it does. And I never brought it to school anyway,.

WX7P
12-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Back in 1984, there was a guy in the Bay Area who was running a plumbing business using a phone patch on 220. All day long the repeater would say "Call for KG6..", it was his wife calling him with jobs and questions. Even on 220, that didn't last...

W3WN
12-03-2011, 03:21 AM
Interesting. When I was in college I was the only person who had an HT or knew what it does. And I never brought it to school anyway,.
Did I say I was in school? At the time, I was one of the managers of the Burger King... this happens when you run out of money...

W7XF
12-03-2011, 11:59 PM

Hello.

I am an island, all to myself.

And this island is full of tacos!

kb2vxa
12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
"Back in 1984, there was a guy in the Bay Area who was running a plumbing business using a phone patch on 220. ... Even on 220, that didn't last."

It must have something to do with using Amateur Radio for pecuniary interests.

No man is an island but an island is Man.

VE7DCW
12-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Hello.

I am an island, all to myself.

And this island is full of tacos!

This obsession with Rudy really must come to an end .......

The image of black helicopters and rougue APU's will be forever tarnished ..... :rofl:

ab1ga
12-04-2011, 08:19 PM
This obsession with Rudy really must come to an end .......

The image of black helicopters and rougue APU's will be forever tarnished ..... :rofl:

Show some respect... he's going to be the VP candidate on the GOP ticket once the party gets rid of the pretenders they have now.

VE7DCW
12-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Show some respect... he's going to be the VP candidate on the GOP ticket once the party gets rid of the pretenders they have now.

The fact is that Rudy is still out there somewhere ........ somewhere ..... somehow when you least expect it we'll be confronted by the word that will freeze us solid in our tracks ........ "hello" ...... :omg:

K7SGJ
12-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Very cool. You can have a conversation with yourself to entertain those listening!

Problem is, everytime I try that, some asshole answers.

W1GUH
12-05-2011, 11:27 AM
I noticed that! :-D

VE7DCW
12-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Hmmmmmm ...... i'm not a paranoid type,but ....... damn chinese Baidu spider filled 4 "visitor" pages with up to 83 crawlers visiting the Island at one time here on Sunday night! .......dayum!!! prelude to invasion :chin:

KG4CGC
12-19-2011, 02:46 AM
Hmmmmmm ...... i'm not a paranoid type,but ....... damn chinese Baidu spider filled 4 "visitor" pages with up to 83 crawlers visiting the Island at one time here on Sunday night! .......dayum!!! prelude to invasion :chin:http://chineseseoshifu.com/blog/new-baidu-user-agent-baiduspider.html

NA4BH
12-19-2011, 09:26 AM
An isthmus, perhaps.

We now check the PH of all inbound tacos?

K7SGJ
12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
We now check the PH of all inbound tacos?

Unless we can find someone dumb enough to be the official Island Taster. But then, that's what the thread's about anyway, more or less, kinda sorta.

W4GPL
12-21-2011, 07:25 AM
For what it's worth, I have taken steps to attempt to block the Baidu Spider. Many members have expressed concerns and there's really no benefit to them crawling our site.

NQ6U
12-21-2011, 09:53 AM
I can understand you wanting to block the Baidu Spider—people in China would probably have access to the Island blocked anyway so why have it consume your bandwidth—but, just out of curiosity, what were the concerns people were expressing?

K7SGJ
12-21-2011, 10:06 AM

ad4mg
12-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I can understand you wanting to block the Baidu Spider—people in China would probably have access to the Island blocked anyway so why have it consume your bandwidth—but, just out of curiosity, what were the concerns people were expressing?
Mainly concerns over bandwidth usage. Jeff explained it well ... the Google crawler probably uses just as much bandwidth, but its method appears less intrusive.

I agree that the Chinese government probably has this site blacklisted, so why let the spider crawl all over the place for nothing? A shame that the Chinese people don't have the rights we so often take for granted.

W4GPL
12-21-2011, 05:59 PM
I can understand you wanting to block the Baidu Spider—people in China would probably have access to the Island blocked anyway so why have it consume your bandwidth—but, just out of curiosity, what were the concerns people were expressing?Relatively unfounded paranoia. :) If anything, it just clutters up our 'who is online' page.. and that's annoying. If their bot was multi threaded and honored sessions, we wouldn't see so many of them.