PDA

View Full Version : Why Americans Are Getting Ginormously Humongously Larger-Sized

PA5COR
11-30-2011, 01:01 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/30/1040708/-WHY-AMERICANS-ARE-GETTING-GINORMOUSLY-GARGANTUAN?via=siderecent

Europeans might be less fat, but the trend is there too...

Small cut from the article:

1. You can now buy a motorized ice-cream cone that spins so you don't have to lick it, you just stick out your tongue. That’s why I was going to call this “ARE WE GETTING EVEN FATTER AND LAZIER?”
2. Dieting is almost impossible in America now. The Outback Steakhouse has cheese fries that are 2,900 calories. We are supposed to have 2,000-3,000 calories a DAY, not as an appetizer.
3. I read a Jamba Juice has almost as many calories as a Ben & Jerry's, so I went back to the Ben & Jerry's.
4. Kentucky Fried Chicken has a new sandwich which uses fried chicken as the bread. I might as well have the gang kid behind the counter shoot me in the head.:shock:

KB3LAZ
11-30-2011, 02:47 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/30/1040708/-WHY-AMERICANS-ARE-GETTING-GINORMOUSLY-GARGANTUAN?via=siderecent

Europeans might be less fat, but the trend is there too...

Shrimp that comes in the oil in which it was fried almost as if a stew, fried bacon on a baguette covered in oil, oil and garlic mushroom soup (its not really a soup but it sure looks like one), etc...Sure olive oil is better for you than butter but don't drink it. Heh idk about all of Europe but I learned in Spain that the food is just as bad for me as what I get here. Unless ofc I am cooking for myself. Most of the time I do. Now, one thing I can say is that I love the ability to buy every ounce of my food fresh with no preservatives.

...oh...and raw ham...its not an acquired taste it is food for those without taste. :P

PA5COR
11-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Can't remember when i was the last time at Mc Donalds or another fast food chain.
We like to do home cooking, meaning i cook 5 to 6 out od 7 days the wife takes care of the other day ;)
For decades ago i cut back on salt, use more spices and fresh produce.
The wife lost 40 ponds over the years, and i'm within the safe line according my doc, and i like to keep it that way.

;)

KB3LAZ
11-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Can't remember when i was the last time at Mc Donalds or another fast food chain.
We like to do home cooking, meaning i cook 5 to 6 out od 7 days the wife takes care of the other day ;)
The wife lost 40 ponds over the years, and i'm within the safe line according my doc, and i like to keep it that way.

;)

Ive lost 81 lbs or so. Its the damn tapa bars that are gonna get me when I get back to Spain. Pilar likes Tapas every Saturday after going to the market.

K7SGJ
11-30-2011, 07:25 PM

;)

I'll bet the fish are pissed.

W1GUH
11-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Shrimp that comes in the oil in which it was fried almost as if a stew, fried bacon on a baguette covered in oil, oil and garlic mushroom soup (its not really a soup but it sure looks like one), etc...Sure olive oil is better for you than butter but don't drink it. Heh idk about all of Europe but I learned in Spain that the food is just as bad for me as what I get here. Unless ofc I am cooking for myself. Most of the time I do. Now, one thing I can say is that I love the ability to buy every ounce of my food fresh with no preservatives.

...oh...and raw ham...its not an acquired taste it is food for those without taste. :P

Raw ham? Where was that mentioned...couldn't find a reference in the link or any where.

Can you say trichinosis?

K7SGJ
11-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Trichinosis

W1GUH
11-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Sure you can.

W3MIV
12-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Trichinosis from pork is mostly a thing of the past in most of the Western world. Modern husbandry has pretty much eliminated the scourge, and most cases in Europe or the US occur as the result of eating under-cooked game -- especially bear -- or under-cooked pork that was raised by "home" farmers and not commercial hog farms. Feed is especially important and is probably the primary contributor to the development of trichinosis in hogs, and the worst cases are among those animals raised on scraps and refuse.

Of course, the steady reduction of USDA and FDA inspection standards and staffing in recent years may see a resurgence of problems, as we have seen with the ludicrous numbers of e. coli infections in recent times.

KB3LAZ
12-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Raw ham? Where was that mentioned...couldn't find a reference in the link or any where.

Can you say trichinosis?

It wasnt mentioned. None of it was mentioned in the link. It is all from personal experience. Raw ham (sometimes not raw but rather cured) is often served in Spain at small tapa bars. Though in most it comes either with a tapa or a pintxo(pincho for the Americanized spelling) on very hard chunk of bread and is cured with salt. However there are more than a few places that server it raw...and let me say...EWW!

That aside, most tapas and pintxos are very delightful. And I have to admit that jamon is rather good. It is kind of like bacon but prepared like cured beef. Just saying, when its raw its not so good lol.

W1GUH
12-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Albi..thanks. It jangled a few of my remaining brain cells that I'd vaguely heard that someplace. Still, not gonna run out for bacon sushi!

Thank, LAZ. There's a restaurant near me that serves Spanish food and some of their food is delicious!

NQ6U
12-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Trichinosis from pork is mostly a thing of the past in most of the Western world. [...] Of course, the steady reduction of USDA and FDA inspection standards and staffing in recent years may see a resurgence of problems, as we have seen with the ludicrous numbers of e. coli infections in recent times.

Yes, but are you not reveling in your new-found freedom from government intervention handed down to you by St. Ronald, patron saint of the RWN?

KB3LAZ
12-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Albi..thanks. It jangled a few of my remaining brain cells that I'd vaguely heard that someplace. Still, not gonna run out for bacon sushi!

Thank, LAZ. There's a restaurant near me that serves Spanish food and some of their food is delicious!

http://mortdeganarestaurante.blogspot.com/search/label/Montaditos

Local place.

Some more things to look at. I will be spending a lot of time in Alcoy come march (It is Pilars birth place).

http://www.alcoiturisme.com/gastronomia-alcoyana/gastronomia-alcoyana.php
More than just food on this site, its worth checking out.

K7SGJ
12-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Local place.

Some more things to look at. I will be spending a lot of time in Alcoy come march (It is Pilars birth place).

I gained 10 lbs just looking at some of the stuff on that menu. It looks really really good.

PA5COR
12-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Yummie!

KB3LAZ
12-01-2011, 04:39 PM
I gained 10 lbs just looking at some of the stuff on that menu. It looks really really good.

Lol yes. Spain probably isnt the best country to go to for weight loss. But zucchini burgers are likely better for you than hamburgers and they are yummy.

W3MIV
12-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Forgive me if I point out that Seppuku is a better alternative than a zucchini burger.

W4GPL
12-02-2011, 07:25 AM
"3. I read a Jamba Juice has almost as many calories as a Ben & Jerry's, so I went back to the Ben & Jerry's."

That's a choice. Jamba Juice has plenty of low calorie options. I get a juice smoothie several times a week that is well under 300 calories and it's got lots of nutritional value too. It's not economical, but it is healthy. :P

KB3LAZ
12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Forgive me if I point out that Seppuku is a better alternative than a zucchini burger.

Hum and people say I'm weird.

KB3LAZ
12-07-2011, 08:32 AM
"3. I read a Jamba Juice has almost as many calories as a Ben & Jerry's, so I went back to the Ben & Jerry's."

That's a choice. Jamba Juice has plenty of low calorie options. I get a juice smoothie several times a week that is well under 300 calories and it's got lots of nutritional value too. It's not economical, but it is healthy. :P

I have a smoothie every morning in place of the latte that I used to have. I normally make my own. Strawberries, bananas, and yogurt. Caloric intake is minimal.

n2ize
12-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I am probably gaining weight because I eat supper very late at night. I eat at 11:00pm or midnight (sometimes even 1:00am) and then I crash out on a full stomach.

W1GUH
12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Read recently, maybe hearsay, but that just might be a myth. Don't really know. I DO know how great it is to crash on a full belly!

NQ6U
12-09-2011, 09:30 PM
It's a matter of Marxian dialectic. We're just trying to to bring the lumpenproletariat to life.

K7SGJ
12-09-2011, 09:55 PM
It's a matter of Marxian dialectic. We're just trying to to bring the lumpenproletariat to life.

Probably give you a nasty case of polydactylism.

I just knew I'd get to use that today.

n2ize
12-09-2011, 11:02 PM
I have a smoothie every morning in place of the latte that I used to have. I normally make my own. Strawberries, bananas, and yogurt. Caloric intake is minimal.

What exactly is a "smoothie" ?

KC2UGV
12-09-2011, 11:47 PM
I am probably gaining weight because I eat supper very late at night. I eat at 11:00pm or midnight (sometimes even 1:00am) and then I crash out on a full stomach.

It's simple calories in must equal calories out.... That's all.

KB3LAZ
12-10-2011, 02:55 PM
What exactly is a "smoothie" ?

Kind of like a milk shake but using fruit rather than ice cream. Often times ice or yogurt is used rather than milk. Alternative spelling would be smoothy.

Edit: Heavy cream really works the best to make a fruit smoothie.

W7XF
12-11-2011, 05:36 PM
<snip>...oh...and raw ham...<snip>

YOU CANNIBAL!!!!! :rofl:

W7XF
12-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Local place.

Nom-Nom!!! :)

HUGH
12-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Someone told me today that the average American eats 36 Kenyans. She didn't explain that too well as I am sure cannibalism wasn't intended.

KB3LAZ
12-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Someone told me today that the average American eats 36 Kenyans. She didn't explain that too well as I am sure cannibalism wasn't intended.

Roflmao

W2NAP
12-23-2011, 04:32 PM
here I am 29 5ft 10in about 160. I can eat what ever I want. key is.. I just dont sit around all day watching tv or playing on the computer. im not so lazy that I have to get into a car just to go somewhere 1/2 mile away. (ive seen people that live a block away from the station will drive that block and back just to get a pop) I walk it.

when I was 6,7,8,9,10,12 years old. we may of only had 1 or 2 kids in class that were porkers. now i see kids that young that are as wide as they are tall.. finding a skinny chick around here is like hitting the lotto. they are rare dont see them very often. and in collage season. the ones you find usually aint from here.

KB3LAZ
12-23-2011, 04:42 PM
here I am 29 5ft 10in about 160. I can eat what ever I want. key is.. I just dont sit around all day watching tv or playing on the computer. im not so lazy that I have to get into a car just to go somewhere 1/2 mile away. (ive seen people that live a block away from the station will drive that block and back just to get a pop) I walk it.

when I was 6,7,8,9,10,12 years old. we may of only had 1 or 2 kids in class that were porkers. now i see kids that young that are as wide as they are tall.. finding a skinny chick around here is like hitting the lotto. they are rare dont see them very often. and in collage season. the ones you find usually aint from here.

You would get one hell of a workout here if you were to walk to the store 12 miles away. As for where I am when in Spain, cars are USELESS! We take the stairs out of the flat and everything is right there. Markets, shops, bars, tapa bars, pintxo bars, you name it. The nice thing is that the design of the city is brilliant. Its large like NYC but not as screwed up. I dont have to drive around the whole city to get to point A 5 feet away, lol.

Note, Spain is wonderful and very rich in culture not only of their own. There is a lot of Spanish, British, Valencian, Italian, and French cultural influences just down the block. I suppose that the states are similar but everything has a American twist on it. I guess that it seems so different simply because it is new to me. Its like seeing everything for the first time, much like looking through the eyes of a child.

W2NAP
12-23-2011, 04:44 PM
You would get one hell of a workout here if you were to walk to the store 12 miles away. As for where I am when in Spain, cars are USELESS! We take the stairs out of the flat and everything is right there. Markets, shops, bars, tapa bars, pintxo bars, you name it. The nice thing is that the design of the city is brilliant. Its large like NYC but not as screwed up. I dont have to drive around the whole city to get to point A 5 feet away, lol.

Note, Spain is wonderful and very rich in culture not only of their own. There is a lot of Spanish, British, Valencian, Italian, and French cultural influences just down the block. I suppose that the states are similar but everything has a American twist on it. I guess that it seems so different simply because it is new to me. Its like seeing everything for the first time, much like looking through the eyes of a child.

around here you can get to a station pretty much in under 1 mile. but these people that could easy walk there.. they get in the car and drive there and back... and of course they are porkers.. lot of them big enough to drop the car 1/2 a foot when they get in.

PA5COR
12-23-2011, 04:56 PM
With 23 million bycicles on 17 million peeps you can guess what most people here do for short distances up to 6 miles or so.
The supermarket is 700 yards away, has postoffice selling tobacco, distilled and most things you want in daily life.
Center of the small city is 3 miles away, so no need to take a car and have to look for a parking space, the bycicle is lots faster.

@ LAZ, have fun there in Spain ;) been there, got the T shirt.

HUGH
12-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Good on you, we may be lucky, I eat to capacity with no effect but restrain the intake if I go walking as it always involves a hill climb.

Horrors that we were, the fatties always had the proverbial p**s taken out of them, now they are the norm.

Enjoy your Christmas and a Happy New Year.

HUGH
12-24-2011, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=PA5COR;395052]With 23 million bycicles on 17 million peeps you can guess what most people here do for short distances up to 6 miles or so.
The supermarket is 700 yards away, has postoffice selling tobacco, distilled and most things you want in daily life.
Center of the small city is 3 miles away, so no need to take a car and have to look for a parking space, the bycicle is lots faster.[QUOTE]

I always enjoyed visiting the Netherlands especially the food. I recall walking into Eindhoven centre and sitting outdoors in one of the restaurants listening to a rock band in the square, then there was camel racing down one of the side streets. Always something to entertain you!

I only had one near miss with a bicycle, the charming young lady on the bike was most amused especially when I mentioned "repatriation of corpse".

Enjoy your Christmas and Happy New Year.

PA5COR
12-25-2011, 04:59 AM
Thanks Hugh, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you ;)

For a stranger visiting us and specially in a bigger city the number and way bicycles drive can be '" challenging " to cross our streets.
Sometimes even for us who are used to it ;)