PDA

View Full Version : "Last Man Standing" December 13th

W3WN
11-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Now, I haven't had an opportunity yet to watch Tim Allen's new sitcom, Last Man Standing. But I'm going to make it a point to watch the December 13th episode.

I understand that one of the ongoing sub-plots is that his character is a ham. His shack is going to be displayed in this episode.

How do I know this? A little birdie told me... and that little birdie is Randy George N3ZK. Randy has a little side business making wood call sign plaques, which has really taken off. Anyway, the show ordered the a call sign plaque for the "shack" from Randy, and he's been told that that's when it's going to be prominently displayed.

I don't know if they've mentioned in the show the character's "call," so I don't feel right revealing it. But it's not a valid Amateur call, although it appears to be one, and it contains a little in-joke.

N8YX
11-26-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't know if they've mentioned in the show the character's "call," so I don't feel right revealing it. But it's not a valid Amateur call, although it appears to be one, and it contains a little in-joke.

Is RG8U on the bands again? :chin:

K7SGJ
11-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Now, I haven't had an opportunity yet to watch Tim Allen's new sitcom, Last Man Standing. But I'm going to make it a point to watch the December 13th episode.

I understand that one of the ongoing sub-plots is that his character is a ham. His shack is going to be displayed in this episode.

How do I know this? A little birdie told me... and that little birdie is Randy George N3ZK. Randy has a little side business making wood call sign plaques, which has really taken off. Anyway, the show ordered the a call sign plaque for the "shack" from Randy, and he's been told that that's when it's going to be prominently displayed.

I hate those birdies. They can make copy so difficult.

If it's like any of his other sitcoms and stuff, I will be waiting with bells on. Not literally, of course.

W3WN
11-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Is RG8U on the bands again? :chin:It's CQ WW weekend, so I'm sure. :mrgreen:

I will say this much... it's an Experimental Service call. So that tells you it's a 2x3 and the suffix starts with "X".

W3WN
12-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Did I just hear someone grunt "More Power!" ??

By the way, figure out the "in joke" yet?

KG4CGC
12-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Time and network.
Thanks.

NQ6U
12-12-2011, 01:30 AM
By the way, figure out the "in joke" yet?

Does it have something to do with "ex-Tool Time"?

W3WN
12-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Does it have something to do with "ex-Tool Time"?Very, very close. Right show, wrong match for the letters.

Hint: What was the name of the main character?

W3WN
12-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Time and network.
Thanks.
The show is on Tuesday evenings on ABC, normally 8 - 8:30 PM EST. My understanding is that this is going to be on tomorrow night; promos for the show are indicated 2 episodes, so I don't know offhand which one it will be on.

I'm going to be taping it. I have to, we're going to be at a STH event for the Pirates. Dem's the priorities in my house...

N8YX
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
What's the rig in the pic - the ubiquitous Binford 2000?

NQ6U
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Very, very close. Right show, wrong match for the letters.

Hint: What was the name of the main character?

Tim Tayor! Had to look it up, had forgotten his character's last name.

W3WN
12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Tim Tayor! Had to look it up, had forgotten his character's last name.You are CORRECT sir!

The ARRL gave it away though: http://www.arrl.org/news/em-ham-radio-in-hollywood-em-comedian-tim-allen-stars-as-radio-amateur-on-new-tv-show

W3WN
12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
What's the rig in the pic - the ubiquitous Binford 2000?ICOM 9100. But I like your answer better.

KC9ECI
12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
What's the rig in the pic - the ubiquitous Binford 2000?

Please!

W3WN
12-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Personally, if they could do it, I'd love to see a Binford Tools commercial show up, say in the background or while the characters are watching the toobus boobus.

What the heck, they had a "The Santa Clause" reference last week (Tim Allen's character making fun of the notion of him ever wearing a Santa suit... get it? Yeah, it was pretty lame.)

But it may be a legal issue that prevents them from doing so. They might be required to pay royalties, for example. Union/Guild rules...

NQ6U
12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
ICOM 9100. But I like your answer better.

Good choice, though. The IC-9100 is a very nice rig. I like the fact that the crew installed several antennas up in the flies of the sound stage so the real hams can use it to make QSOs during downtime.

Jeff K1NSS
12-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Just saw the ARRL release about the show, so decided to embark on a little experiment. Sent the producer John NN6JA a Dash! mug and T shirt with our compliments, on the chance we might score a little product placement -- that is, if the Mystery Antenna, Golden Ham Radio Badge, and MFJ Miracle Tower Pills and ten thousand other bits of ham related merchandise already on his doorstep don't get a casting call. First hurdle to clear is whether or not he accepts delivery of the package. Will keep youse posted.

W3WN
12-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Just saw the ARRL release about the show, so decided to embark on a little experiment. Sent the producer John NN6JA a Dash! mug and T shirt with our compliments, on the chance we might score a little product placement -- that is, if the Mystery Antenna, Golden Ham Radio Badge, and MFJ Miracle Tower Pills and ten thousand other bits of ham related merchandise already on his doorstep don't get a casting call. First hurdle to clear is whether or not he accepts delivery of the package. Will keep youse posted.Someone was kvetching over yonder about NN6JA's address not being listed on said site. I suspect that this might be why.

Of course, anyone with half a brain would just look up the address on the FCC's ULS database, or on Vanity Hq. or the ARRL link to the FCC, of AE7Q's database, or Buckmasters, or...

Jeff K1NSS
12-13-2011, 12:47 PM
anyone with half a brain would just look up the address on the FCC's ULS database, or on Vanity Hq. or the ARRL link to the FCC, of AE7Q's database, or Buckmasters, or...

I resembled that remark. Does a guy who plays fast and loose with our old fat humorless ham stereotype, portraying us with the presentable likes of Tim Allen, deserve respectful privacy? I dunno man, you get on the old fat humorless tiger, you better be ready to ride.

NQ6U
12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I hope Allen's character is using a Gotham Vertical.

Jeff K1NSS
12-13-2011, 01:16 PM
That would be a nice touch, but I'd want to know his motivation. If pure, he'd use a Gotham vertical because he wanted something for almost nothing, along the lines of Xray glasses. If too cute by half, he'd use it for retro cred. I'm troubled that his office/shack is awfully neat, not that there's anything wrong with that. I'd feel better if I knew that somewhere there was a garage filled with a Bridge Mix of ceramic tube sockets, dried-out electrolytics, odd knobs missing setscrews, a ball of old dial cord big as a small weather balloon and wayback numbers of Popular Electronics laced with more mold than a warehouse full of blue cheese.

N8YX
12-13-2011, 01:19 PM
It would be funny as hell if Tim Allen somehow became licensed then showed up here. Joe Walsh, for that matter.

W3WN
12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Has anyone actually gotten a QSL card from Joe Walsh?

Or is this another Martin Brandeux situation? (Am I spelling that right? Marlon Brando's alter ego)

I know there are some famous hams you can get cards from... I have quite a few from Joe Rudi NK7U, for one. But I've never heard of anyone getting a card from Joe. Then again, I've never heard of anyone asking him for a card, either.

WØTKX
12-13-2011, 02:25 PM
I have talked to "plain old Joe" on the air a few times, when I used to check into the Ten Tec net.

Once we had a long rag chew with Bob Heil and a few others after net... it was great fun as the majority of us in that ragchew were "audiophools". When I mentioned I loved the old purple and blue Heil HM-1000 sound board that I used to use for live shows... we shared a lot of giggles about old 60's and 70's gear. Like the Echoplex and stuff and stuff...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/low-end-theory/196912d1286592895-heil-sound-hm-101-hm1000-5.jpg

KC9ECI
12-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Has anyone actually gotten a QSL card from Joe Walsh?

Or is this another Martin Brandeux situation? (Am I spelling that right? Maron Brando's alter ego)

I know there are some famous hams you can get cards from... I have quite a few from Joe Rudi NK7U, for one. But I've never heard of anyone getting a card from Joe. Then again, I've never heard of anyone asking him for a card, either.

Not being a sports fan, I had no clue who Joe Rudi is. Checked my log and I've logged his call a few times, probably in contests. A quick google search and I found a nice article talking about him and his ham radio at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/06/25/watn.rudi/

And now I know.

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I missed the show!

kf0rt
12-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Not being a sports fan, I had no clue who Joe Rudi is. Checked my log and I've logged his call a few times, probably in contests. A quick google search and I found a nice article talking about him and his ham radio at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/06/25/watn.rudi/

And now I know.

Ummm... Nice station, station...
http://www.nk7u.com/

kf0rt
12-14-2011, 08:07 AM
I missed the show!

With any luck, got it DVR'd here. (Tuesday is NCIS night, afterall)

W3WN
12-14-2011, 08:54 AM
I missed the show!Actually, no, you didn't.

The producers told Randy that it was supposed to air last night. But the ARRL article (posted on Monday) says "mid January." So the network must have changed the scheduling on this episode.

I spent a good hour after we got home from the Pirate's STH event last night going through the tape. Then I went and looked at the League's article. *doh!*

But, the night wasn't a total loss. I learned that Brad Lincoln loves to drink Long Island Iced Tea... and Daniel McCutchen likes to tease my daughter. Now if they can just pitch next year...

KC9ECI
12-14-2011, 04:41 PM
If you missed it, simple enough to fix: http://www.hulu.com/last-man-standing

Speaking of the Last Man Standing, in the 10M contest thread there was some discussion of the demise of the PSK Deathmatch...Last Man Standing sounds like a good name for an Island sponsored weekend PSK rumble.

K7SGJ
12-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Last Ham Typing?

Jeff K1NSS
12-17-2011, 08:58 PM
LMS Product Placement Update: Gratuitous Dash!Mug and t shirt have shipped to producer NN6JA. Could wind up there with Seinfeld's cereal boxes or at the bottom of some dumpster down on Alvarado Street by the Pioneer chicken stand.

ref. Carmelita by Warren Zevon, as in:

I hear Mariachi static on my radio
And the tubes they glow in the dark...

From Excitable Boy to Lawyers, Guns and Money, WZ had a way, eh? Perhaps my favorite WZ line sung the praises of a London Werewolf -- And his hair was perfect.

NQ6U
12-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Warren Zevon was a master lyricist who, IMHO, never really got the respect he was due.

WX7P
12-17-2011, 11:26 PM
And his hair was perfect.

(rest) Ut!

N8YX
12-18-2011, 09:07 AM
How was I to know she was with the Russians too?

kf0rt
12-18-2011, 09:12 AM
LMS Product Placement Update: Gratuitous Dash!Mug and t shirt have shipped to producer NN6JA. Could wind up there with Seinfeld's cereal boxes or at the bottom of some dumpster down on Alvarado Street by the Pioneer chicken stand.

ref. Carmelita by Warren Zevon, as in:

I hear Mariachi static on my radio
And the tubes they glow in the dark...

From Excitable Boy to Lawyers, Guns and Money, WZ had a way, eh? Perhaps my favorite WZ line sung the praises of a London Werewolf -- And his hair was perfect.

Never knew that was a Zevon tune. Best rendition by none other than Linda Ronstadt, tho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rky1XdRnHYI

K7SGJ
12-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhh how I loved to watch her perform in the bars of Tucson when I lived there. Never returned my phone calls. The bitch.

Jeff K1NSS
12-18-2011, 10:23 AM
How was I to know she was with the Russians too?

http://youtu.be/rjZm-LYgW2I (http://youtu.be/rjZm-LYgW2I)

just the best

kf0rt
12-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhh how I loved to watch her perform in the bars of Tucson when I lived there. Never returned my phone calls. The bitch.

Okay. NOW I'm envious. :)