PDA

View Full Version : Via Con Dios Curiosity

K7SGJ
11-24-2011, 07:34 PM
How cool is this. The technology amazes me, the cost on the other hand doesn't

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/nov/24/mars-rover-curiosity-nasa-planet?newsfeed=true

NQ6U
11-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey, $2.5 billion is about what the DoD spent on air conditioning in Iraq last year. I'd much rather see my tax dollars go into something like this.

ki4itv
11-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Space waste, I'm good with that. Beats the shit out of killing our contemporary peers.
If we were to be honest about this we would all agree that eventually, our children's, children's, children's children might have a home when the heavens finally do rain down on us. I can hardly think of anything more human than self-preservation through exploration. It IS what we do.
Disagree with me on this, and I will disagree with you, mainly because you're a self centered selfish 'tard.
But that may just be the way you are. Unthinking Bastard.

kc7jty
11-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Pre bashing on not even sure of my position yet?
Vaya?

ki4itv
11-25-2011, 02:08 AM
A preemptive strike.
If you will...

ki4itv
11-25-2011, 02:09 AM
BTW. I am right.
:yes:

ki4itv
11-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Still luv ya'
But I am right.

ki4itv
11-25-2011, 02:21 AM
right fucked up...and correct in my opinion.
Geeeez. Thought y'all would know me by now.
Frankly, I'm offended.

kc7jty
11-25-2011, 03:20 AM
good weed in the thanksgiving hood?

ki4itv
11-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Not so offended now.
Just bored.

ki4itv
11-25-2011, 03:40 AM
I was bored all fucking day.
Never know what to do when I have a day off anymore.
No worries, that should be enough.

PA5COR
11-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Must be thhe winter blues....

kf0rt
11-25-2011, 07:07 AM
And that's why they call it the blues.

K7SGJ
11-25-2011, 07:24 AM
I was bored all fucking day.
Never know what to do when I have a day off anymore.
No worries, that should be enough.

You can always spend a little time separating the seeds from................oh....never mind.

W3MIV
11-25-2011, 07:28 AM
We still luv ye, Trey. Go out and explore somethin'.

And STFU for a while.

;)

K7SGJ
11-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Pre bashing on not even sure of my position yet?
Vaya?

Thank you.

W4GPL
11-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Selfishly, I love this sort of thing. So spend baby, spend.. and tax too! :P Space travel is inspirational, creates thousands of jobs, and gives us a better understanding of who we are. $2.5 billion is a drop in the bucket; hopefully NASA and JPL's budget is considerably larger than that.

W3MIV
11-25-2011, 07:57 AM
I feel strongly both ways. I strongly support spending in a quest for knowledge, and the $2.5B budget is bupkes in comparison with the defense budget. Indeed, it is a tiny, tiny fraction of NSA's budget alone. Any jobs, however, will mostly be in defense-related industries, thus of little benefit to most of us. Worse, the present roster of RWAs now thumping the tub against spending would seek to raid existing social programs for the funds rather than render any of the massive amounts of fat on which the Pentagon floats.

Probably academic in the end. Expanding human knowledge once stood higher among Republicans than it now does, especially given their excessive attachment to religious zealotry as well as voodoo economics. Of course, the congressional districts in which the budget will be spent likely will be the final determinant.

W4GPL
11-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Any jobs, however, will mostly be in defense-related industries, thus of little benefit to most of us.I take issue with this single point. United Space Alliance, though a partnership between Lockheed and Boeing does benefit thousands of 'average Joe' types in Florida, Alabama, and Texas. I personally know several people who work for USA. Yes, Lockheed and Boeing are defense contractors, but there is still a positive economic impact for many rural communities. Without the space program; east central Florida would be a ghost town, as well as Huntsville, and parts of Houston.

n6hcm
11-25-2011, 08:20 AM
this is awesome ... we got such awesome value out of the last mars rover and i can only hope this one does as well. the government does plenty of chit i don't like--this is something i do like.

ki4itv
11-25-2011, 08:27 AM
We still luv ye, Trey. Go out and explore somethin'.

And STFU for a while.

;)
yea, no shit.
Off to work I go...no sleep, big smile.
You'll have that. Thanks for putting up with me.

BTW, spend on exploring. It is human nature, and one of the greatest things we can do for ourselves.

W3MIV
11-25-2011, 08:30 AM
I hope you're right, Jeff. I strongly support remote exploration*, but I confess that I remain very skeptical about how such programs will be funded as we move forward in increasingly more difficult times.

(*I might strongly support manned exploration if I could populate the crews of the few extra-solar system missions with some of the RWAs now haggling over purse strings.)

I take issue with this single point. United Space Alliance, though a partnership between Lockheed and Boeing does benefit thousands of 'average Joe' types in Florida, Alabama, and Texas. I personally know several people who work for USA. Yes, Lockheed and Boeing are defense contractors, but there is still a positive economic impact for many rural communities. Without the space program; east central Florida would be a ghost town, as well as Huntsville, and parts of Houston.

ab1ga
11-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Aye, there's the rub: if we do find a new Eden among the stars, who gets to go, or who has to go? If our big blue marble is in imminent danger of going Pfft!, then you can bet the seat of your pants it won't be on board.

W3MIV
11-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks for putting up with me.

A sense of humor makes you easy up with which to put.

W1GUH
11-26-2011, 01:26 PM
It's always good to see new unmanned probes go up there. Good, and surprising that we've still got the will to do it. A lot of it seems to go unnoticed until launch is imminent, then there it is....been spending on this for years pretty much unheralded.

As far as who will get to go to "New Eden", didn't Dr. Strangelove make that very clear?

Go, Curiosity, Go.

[tougue in cheek]

And export that nuclear power to other planets! Heck, it's already on the moon!

K7SGJ
11-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I hope you're right, Jeff. I strongly support remote exploration*, but I confess that I remain very skeptical about how such programs will be funded as we move forward in increasingly more difficult times.

(*I might strongly support manned exploration if I could populate the crews of the few extra-solar system missions with some of the RWAs now haggling over purse strings.)

It'd take a big god damn ship, and I doubt if there is enough propulsion in the whole universe to get it out of earths atmosphere.

W3MIV
11-26-2011, 01:56 PM
It'd take a big god damn ship, and I doubt if there is enough propulsion in the whole universe to get it out of earths atmosphere.

So long as it crashes where it will hurt no innocents, it still will serve my purposes.

K7SGJ
11-26-2011, 02:01 PM
You truly are a visionary.

W3MIV
11-26-2011, 02:02 PM
You truly are a visionary.

Yeah, Carl Sagan with a big f*cking attitude. ;)

kf0rt
11-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Surely it could be self-propelled!

K7SGJ
11-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Oh, I get it. A shit drive. Why yes, that could work.

And don't call ..........never mind.

ab1ga
11-26-2011, 02:48 PM
I'll buy that for a quarter.

NQ6U
11-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Surely it could be self-propelled!

You've heard of ion drive, why not moron drive? It could work...

n2ize
11-26-2011, 08:07 PM
What's the point ? This thing will go up there, take some pictures and the conspiracy theorists will swear NASA is hiding a civilization of people on Mars.

kf0rt
11-26-2011, 08:32 PM
You've heard of ion drive, why not moron drive? It could work...

Glenn Beck alone has enough gas to propel us into the next century. Or galaxy. Your choice. Don't expect it to smell like roses, though. ;)