PDA

View Full Version : For the First Time in 16 Years...

ka8ncr
11-24-2011, 09:40 AM
I will enjoy Thanksgiving with my family as opposed to having to work. I have never had Thanksgiving dinner with my youngest son.

Never underestimate the power and benefits of going back to school, even as an old fart.

Happy Thanksgiving!

ki4itv
11-24-2011, 09:45 AM
The Thanksgiving table is traditionally a trap one wishes to avoid in our family.
Congratulations on both accounts!

W3MIV
11-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I had to run out for a few last-minute items (empty ground ginger bottle! and no whupped cream) and I found to my very pleasant surprise that the Mars grocery store -- a small local chain -- was closed for the holiday. Not so the Safeway, of course.

Brings to mind when I was a kid and even the gas stations, bakeries and druggists closed at noon or one on T Day. Everything else was shuttered. And Sundays, too. And they wonder why the family has been disintegrating?

K7SGJ
11-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I had to run out for a few last-minute items (empty ground ginger bottle! and no whupped cream) and I found to my very pleasant surprise that the Mars grocery store -- a small local chain -- was closed for the holiday. Not so the Safeway, of course.

Brings to mind when I was a kid and even the gas stations, bakeries and druggists closed at noon or one on T Day. Everything else was shuttered. And Sundays, too. And they wonder why the family has been disintegrating?

I agree with your statement on families these days. I can remember when stores closed at 5 or 6 on weekdays and Saturday, and were closed on Sundays. On holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc., about the only thing open were hospitals. If you forgot something, you'd better hope one of the neighbors could loan it to you. And, that's another thing missing these days. Borrowing a cup of sugar or something from a neighbor. Hell, neighbors used to borrow cars and all kinds of stuff back then. Neighbors would care for the neighborhood kids like they were their own, and kids were very safe from predators, too. Seems like most folks don't even know their neighbors any more, much less care about them. That has a lot to do with why we moved to the boonhills.

ka8ncr
11-24-2011, 06:38 PM
I was pleased to see the backlash on Target's plan to open at midnight tonight for shopping.

Corporate America has little respect for the worker.

K7SGJ
11-24-2011, 06:54 PM
But a helluva lot of respect for $$$

WØTKX
11-25-2011, 05:58 PM
http://corporate.familydollar.com/CorporateImages/News Room/Photos/Logos/FDLogoTag_WhiteBackgfound.gif

N8YX
11-26-2011, 09:38 AM
The Thanksgiving table is traditionally a trap one wishes to avoid in our family.

Ours was spent on a 5-hour bicycle ride, then dinner at a good friend's/fellow ham's. We both consider our host to be more family than actual family, and there's a lot less drama involved.

n2ize
11-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree with your statement on families these days. I can remember when stores closed at 5 or 6 on weekdays and Saturday, and were closed on Sundays. .

Not if you lived near a Jewish neighborhood as I did. Lots of stores and open air street market vendors were open on Blake Ave.Brooklyn Sunday morning,. After church you could head over there and buy a dozen hot rolls, a box of hot apple charlottes, groceries, appetizers, etc. if you needed anything from the hardware store you could grab it. But after 12 noon or 1:00pm they were all closed. But if you headed into my area a few blocks away which was mostly Italian and German no stores were open at anytime Sunday.

kf0rt
11-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Not if you lived near a Jewish neighborhood as I did. Lots of stores and open air street market vendors were open on Blake Ave.Brooklyn Sunday morning,. After church you could head over there and buy a dozen hot rolls, a box of hot apple charlottes, groceries, appetizers, etc. if you needed anything from the hardware store you could grab it. But after 12 noon or 1:00pm they were all closed. But if you headed into my area a few blocks away which was mostly Italian and German no stores were open at anytime Sunday.

Blimie & Herman Schreiber's place still closes on Saturday. Open on Sunday, tho.

WX7P
11-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Congratulations on both accounts!

Heh. No kidding!

WØTKX
11-26-2011, 02:20 PM
The Jewish Deli brunch after Sunday Mass was a habit I grew up with...

K7SGJ
11-26-2011, 02:23 PM

And here I thought only Catholics did the habit thingy. Who knew?

WØTKX
11-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Huh? I am still a Catholic by baptism.

I would shuck the "habit" of being an Altar Boy, then go have a nice lox and cream cheese omlette mit bagel.

ki4itv
11-26-2011, 03:13 PM

No Jewish Deli's in rural MS, so we usually had to go eat with the Protestants
We did have a 30 minute head start on parking and table arrangements though. .:yes: