PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be MIA for a while....

W1GUH
11-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Gotta go to Urgent Care for an urgent procedure (endoscopy & stent placement). Don't know for how long; depends on how soon they can schedule it.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'll miss you when I'm gone.

Paul

W3MIV
11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Good luck, Paul, you hard-headed so and so. Wish you all the best and a swift return.

KC2UGV
11-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Good luck mate! Wishing a swift exit from the facility, and a swifter recovery :)

PA5COR
11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Good luck and speedy recovery Paul, don't let the doctors grind you down.

KK4AMI
11-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Best wishes and a speedy recovery. Try and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

W3MIV
11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
...don't let the doctors grind you down.

Come back fast and let us handle it for them. ;)

suddenseer
11-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Enjoy the good drugs!! You should be back on the air tonight.

N8YX
11-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Best of luck to you, and have a happy T-day.

kc7jty
11-22-2011, 02:00 PM
That shouldn't be a big deal, GL anyway.

KB3LAZ
11-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Good luck.

K7SGJ
11-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Good luck, Paul. Hurry back, you'll be missed.

BTW On your way back home, stop by the fuckin barbershop.

rot
11-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Good luck on the deal.
Shot of Wild Turkey and a "To your health" chant from rotspace.
rot

ab1ga
11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
While they're in there, have them lay on a coating of underbody protection. Just stay away from that Ziebart stuff, that's all.

NQ6U
11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Good luck, Paul. Don't forget to drop a few hundred micrograms about 45 minutes before the procedure.

KA9MOT
11-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Damn Paul.....Sorry to hear you're not doing well. Best wishes to you and Good Luck! We'll see you when you get back.

w2amr
11-24-2011, 05:01 AM
All the best Paul

ki4itv
11-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Best wished Paul and keep that great attitude!
Then get back here pronto!

W1GUH
11-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm back home now, everything went just fine. But the procedure wasn't the "piece of cake" I was thinking. Laid me flat for about 24 hours, but recovery now is quick, and I CAN EAT!!! YIPPEE!!!

Don't EVER want to be in a hospital again, and this was one of the best. The Doctors and Nurses were all great, so was my second roommate, but there was absolutely nothing to do but try to sleep. Went up a tree with boredom. I was perfectly ambulatory and really wanted to leave for a walk...but didn't even ask. Maybe I should have? Well, they were true to their word -- if I could eat solid food today they said I'd be home and here I am. And feeling better by the minute, actually, so I should cheer up quickly.

Thanks again for all the nice supportive words, with a special thank you to you, Albi.

ab1ga
11-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Okay, I gotta know...

How does the hospital turkey dinner taste?
Can you eat stuffing or just mashed potatoes?
Pumpkin pie or apple pie?

Good to have you back and 73,

W3MIV
11-25-2011, 03:08 PM
The best TU for me is having you back, Paul.

NQ6U
11-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Good to see you back, Paul! We're all glad you are feeling better. Now, about that haircut...

w2amr
11-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Great news.

ab1ga
11-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Good to see you back, Paul! We're all glad you are feeling better. Now, about that haircut...

Never mind the hair, Delilah, it's what kept him strong and able to come back so soon.

K7SGJ
11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Glad to hear it went well, Paul. Yes, hospital boredom sucks. Shoulda set up an HF station in the room. As for an antenna, there's another thread about the "big black dick", and I'm just certain you could have gotten someone to help you erect it. Probably a different department.

WØTKX
11-26-2011, 02:21 PM
You were gone? ;)

W1GUH
11-26-2011, 03:41 PM
You were gone? ;)

Only in person. Not in spirit. Starting to feel better today, AND, I can eat and drink perfectly normally. There's hope!

Again, thanks for all the love and support, guy, that's worth everything to me.

'ga:

Never mind the hair, Delilah, it's what kept him strong and able to come back so soon.

Just what my oncologist said! In almost as many words...

Doctor:
"There's a third chemo that will cause your hair to fall out.."

Me: (interrupting)

"Well, whatever it takes"

Doctor (interrupting):

"Hold on there. You've got great hair, it's unique and part of your lifestyle. No need to affect that til we know we need to."

Ya just HAVE to love a doctor like that!

ab1ga
11-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Doctor: "There's a third chemo that will cause your hair to fall out.."

Me: (interrupting)

"Well, whatever it takes"

Doctor (interrupting):

"Hold on there. You've got great hair, it's unique and part of your lifestyle. No need to affect that til we know we need to."

Ya just HAVE to love a doctor like that!

That depends on whether it was some jealous male doctor or a hot female doctor. :)
And I still want to know if you had hospital turkey on Thanksgiving.

W1GUH
11-26-2011, 05:37 PM
That depends on whether it was some jealous male doctor or a hot female doctor. :)
And I still want to know if you had hospital turkey on Thanksgiving.

Oh, no, I as in no condition to eat. But I DID get to be with the wonderful family of my roommate, if only because I could hear them and smell the turkey. Sorta, kinda like a family T-giving dinner. Probably helped that I couldn't understand their Spanish, but it sounded very pleasant. And, sadly, he's in worse shape than I am.

ab1ga
11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh, no, I as in no condition to eat. But I DID get to be with the wonderful family of my roommate, if only because I could hear them and smell the turkey. Sorta, kinda like a family T-giving dinner. Probably helped that I couldn't understand their Spanish, but it sounded very pleasant. And, sadly, he's in worse shape than I am.

Oh well, I'll have to keep searching for data on hospital turkey then.
That's too bad about your roommate. I'll wish him all the best too.

W3MIV
11-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Oh well, I'll have to keep searching for data on hospital turkey then.
That's too bad about your roommate. I'll wish him all the best too.

I know a few hospital turkeys, but if I name them I am liable to be sued.

ab1ga
11-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I know a few hospital turkeys, but if I name them I am liable to be sued.

That would require a doctor and a lawyer to work together, a Black Swan event for me if ever there was one.

W3MIV
11-26-2011, 07:16 PM
That would require a doctor and a lawyer to work together, a Black Swan event if ever there was one.

Not if there were money involved!

ab1ga
11-26-2011, 07:18 PM
You're right, Black Swans do seem to be drawn to money, don't they?
(Just finished the book, and now I think my cat has feathers.)

K7SGJ
11-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Speaking of lawyers

These two lawyers have been starnded on a small island in the middle of nowhere for years. One day, while picking some coconuts to eat, the one lawyer yells down to the other "hey, I see a girl floating toward the island". The other says "aw bulshit, there's no way". But sure enough, the beautiful girl washes up on the shore. They drag her up the beach, and they see she has no clothes on, no jewelery, no nothin. The one lawyer puts his head down by hers, and although she is unconsious, he feels her warm breath on his face. He exclaims "she is alive". The other one says "God she is so beautiful. You want to screw her?

The first lawyer says "out of what"?

W1GUH
11-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Further speaking of doctors and lawyers.....

A big pharmaceutical wanted to test the efficacy of their erectile dysfuntion drug. The focus group was half doctors and half lawyers. After trying the drug for the proscribed period of time, they brought the group together to hear the results.

The doctors reported some improvement in their performance.

The lawyers all stood up straight.

W1GUH
11-30-2011, 05:35 AM
Probably start chemo this morning. I'm pretty sure the doctor is going to certify me A-1 Fit for Treatment. Sure hope so. I've recovered well from last week and eating a LOT! Feel strong and ready, so here goes...

Borrowing from FDR, "I've got nothing to fear but fear itself."

Cheers!

KA9MOT
11-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Good Luck Paul. I know chemo can be tough. We'll be pulling for ya!

K7SGJ
11-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Good luck Paul. Hope the side effects are minimal. Let us know how you do.

BTW Why don't you wait till tomorrow for the haircut.

NQ6U
11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Hang in there, Paul, and best of wishes to you.

W1GUH
11-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Here I am, back from chemo. There was a lot of waiting while the pharmacy got the good stuff together, but that was good -- I managed to eat a HUGE lunch -- biggest meal I've had in a couple months. That tasted GOOD! Plus, the infusion takes a while. But it was all comfortable -- no problem at all. Guess I'll know in an hour or two what kind of side effects I'm going to have; but so far, so good. Of course, I'm flying on anti-chemo-side-effects pills (One's a steroid. Rats, there go my chances to make the Yanks next year!), and of course I'm in a very good mood.

But most of all, it's SO good to start getting stuff that'll make me better. Probably not well, but well, well under control. And the anxiety of not-knowing what this is like is over. Think I'm gonna sleep WELL tonight. Woo-hoo!

As always, thanks a million for the encouraging words -- they mean everything. Keep 'em coming.

Oh, and I could lose my hair (make some of you happy! <-- kidding) after all. The thing is, all the side effects of what I'm getting are only possibilities. Whether or not they happen is unknown til you try it. Remind any of you of the sixties? AND I'm doing it legally!

Think that's it for now. Again, thanks!

Paul

PA5COR
11-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Hair grows back, health is more important...
Keep your chin up Paul, good to see the treatment is not having a bad effect on you.

Hang in there, nag us when you have the time and will to do so ;)

W1GUH
11-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Hair grows back, health is more important...
Keep your chin up Paul, good to see the treatment is not having a bad effect on you.

Hang in there, nag us when you have the time and will to do so ;)

Only if you promise to nag me back! Will do, Cor, but mostly, thanks for the nice words.

KB3LAZ
11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Here I am, back from chemo. There was a lot of waiting while the pharmacy got the good stuff together, but that was good -- I managed to eat a HUGE lunch -- biggest meal I've had in a couple months. That tasted GOOD! Plus, the infusion takes a while. But it was all comfortable -- no problem at all. Guess I'll know in an hour or two what kind of side effects I'm going to have; but so far, so good. Of course, I'm flying on anti-chemo-side-effects pills (One's a steroid. Rats, there go my chances to make the Yanks next year!), and of course I'm in a very good mood.

But most of all, it's SO good to start getting stuff that'll make me better. Probably not well, but well, well under control. And the anxiety of not-knowing what this is like is over. Think I'm gonna sleep WELL tonight. Woo-hoo!

As always, thanks a million for the encouraging words -- they mean everything. Keep 'em coming.

Oh, and I could lose my hair (make some of you happy! <-- kidding) after all. The thing is, all the side effects of what I'm getting are only possibilities. Whether or not they happen is unknown til you try it. Remind any of you of the sixties? AND I'm doing it legally!

Think that's it for now. Again, thanks!

Paul

Glad to hear that you are still in good spirits. Hope this keeps things under control for you. You and yours are in my thoughts.

W1GUH
11-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words, 'LAZ.

There's a silver lining. I just looked up "ideal weight" with google-fu, and, lo and behold, I'm not too skinny at all, in fact I'm right in the "sweet spot." 'Course, this is a question for my doctor, but nevertheless it's a relief to find this out. Needless to say, this is not the recommend way to lose weight.

Come to think of it, when I was so hungry and feeling way too skinny, one of the people who weighed me said, "Your weight's good." Guess this makes me un-American?

K7SGJ
11-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Glad things went well. The fact your in good health helps alot. Don't let yourself get over tired and run down; just keep on keeping on, and keep us informated.

W1GUH
11-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Absolutely will.

PA5COR
12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Come to think of it, when I was so hungry and feeling way too skinny, one of the people who weighed me said, "Your weight's good." Guess this makes me un-American?

Better watch it before they deport you to the EU.....

W3MIV
12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Better watch it before they deport you to the EU.....

If they do, Paul, gimme a call and I'll carry your bags. Cor'll put us up. ;)

W1GUH
12-01-2011, 02:55 PM
We all should be so lucky...

PA5COR
12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
We use only 3 bedrooms of the 4 so if you can live in the spare bedroom that is outfitted as shack, you're welcome ;)Bonus, FT 2000 D and 1 kW to play with and some reasonable antenna's But they will force social security and social healthcare upon you :-| ;)

W1GUH
12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
The two of us? Oh, yea, now there's a good idea! :-D Probably couldn't even fit both our hard heads in there at the same time! But if Albi brings his single-malt collection...just maybe.

PA5COR
12-01-2011, 04:38 PM
There's the attic with 754 square feet, not used ;)

W1GUH
12-01-2011, 04:39 PM
That'll do! I"l be there this weekend. You comin', Albi?

K7SGJ
12-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I think he's just breathing hard.

W1GUH
12-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for that visual.

W3MIV
12-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Spent some time under the tiles in a Dutch garret during the winter of... well, let's just say it was more than forty years ago. Damned cold and plenty drafty. Once was enough for that. Little town on the border named Losser.

Nuff said 'bout that.

W1GUH
12-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Hey thanks! I get the ham shack!

PA5COR
12-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Times changed a bit since that.
Double glazing, wall isolation, floor isolation and all that modern comfort did it's entry here in the Netherlands since the late '70's ;)
Losser, man, could you find a more backyard town here? ;)