PDA

View Full Version : Sweepstakes Phone 2011... How'd You Do?

W3WN
11-20-2011, 07:31 PM
I know KB3LIX was on, I worked him.

Put in a part time effort, between one thing and another (but I did get the doors sanded and refinished!)

265 QSO's, 42,400 points, and most importantly...

80 sections... my first ever clean sweep in SS!

All with 100 W out from a Ten-Tec Omni VI+ & Butternut HF6V on 10 - 40, Tec-Tec Corsair II & Inverted "L" on 75.

Anyone else (of those that operated the contest, of course)?

WØTKX
11-20-2011, 07:48 PM
I did very well, because I ignored it.

NQ6U
11-20-2011, 07:57 PM
I did very well, because I ignored it.

Same here—contests are the ebil. Haven't had a radio on at all in days, been working on rebuilding the power supply for the T-4X instead. I'm just about ready to test it to make sure I didn't put the red wire where the green wire should have gone but assuming it works, then I'll find out at last if the transmitter works.

KJ3N
11-21-2011, 01:04 AM
I actually broke down and tried SS for the first time. The goal was 80 sections in 80 Qs.

Wound up with 80 Qs, but only 78 sections. Missed KY and SB.

KY? Seriously? WTF?

Same thing with SB. Of all the CA stations I heard, couldn't find one from Santa Barbara that was running a frequency? WTF?

Maybe if I had spent more than 12.5 hours in the chair? :dunno:

KB3LIX
11-21-2011, 08:54 AM
I didn't put in that much time this weekend as I just wasn't "in the mood"
Saturday.

I was in the hospital from last monday until friday.

BUT,
Sunday,
I figured that it was time to get back in the swing of things.

80m...49
40m...65
20m...28
15m...36
10m...31

Total: 209
Sections: 72

Missed VT, NLI, KY, SB, SF, UT, WI & BC

For a limited effort, I'm satisfied.

SWEEPS was good for me, it put me back on track.

W2NAP
11-21-2011, 09:24 AM
where I was going to go do this, well other things came up so I just slept all weekend.

W3WN
11-21-2011, 11:32 AM
I didn't put in that much time this weekend as I just wasn't "in the mood"
Saturday.

I was in the hospital from last monday until friday.

BUT,
Sunday,
I figured that it was time to get back in the swing of things.

80m...49
40m...65
20m...28
15m...36
10m...31

Total: 209
Sections: 72

Missed VT, NLI, KY, SB, SF, UT, WI & BC

For a limited effort, I'm satisfied.

SWEEPS was good for me, it put me back on track.NLI was tough this year. I didn't snag him until late on Sunday. BC was earlier on Sunday. The rest of that group I got overnight on 40 or 75 SSB. There were two or three stations on from the USVI (NP2B comes to mind) , and I heard them on 10 late Sunday morning. I've heard some other grousing that SB was tough this year, there were some packet spots to the effect, but there were at least two guys on.

I was shocked to hear not one, but two VE8 stations in the Northern Territory on. Used to be you could count on VY1JA for the NT contact, but J has been less active for a variety of reasons. Still, I've never worked a pure VE8 before. (I did once work someone on an IOTA trip, but that was a VE8/ which isn't quite the same thing, and that wasn't in SS anyway). Got one of them, never could break the pileup on the other (and I wasn't trying to hard anyway)

WMass was easy this year, EMass was very tough (my next to last section). Usually it's the other way around. Almost didn't get RI for my last one; W1XX was running a small pileup on 7199.5, and a pair of pig-farmer types plopped down right on top of him to "teach them damn contesters a less" (and never mind that W1XX was on before they showed up on 7200, I was listening) and drove him off the air. Then I heard an ND1 (IIRC) with a low number on 75 just before I called it quits. Got him on a couple of calls. The ham running W3YA (who I know casually from Pa QSO) was in the same pile-up, Mark told me later that he didn't get that RI but another one showed up a little later on. He only missed one... VE2. Go figure, this year the "tough" ones were easy, and the "easy" ones were tough...

KJ3N
11-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Missed VT, NLI, KY, SB, SF, UT, WI & BC.

It's somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one who had troubles with SB & KY.

W3WN
11-21-2011, 09:58 PM
You know, taken out of context... nah, I won't go there...

KJ3N
11-21-2011, 10:23 PM
You know, taken out of context... nah, I won't go there...

YOU are a very sick man.

ki4itv
11-21-2011, 11:38 PM
and that's why we like him.

I haven't done the first contest this year...guess I'm in a lull. or became a lul.

WX7P
11-22-2011, 06:19 AM
I know KB3LIX was on, I worked him.

Put in a part time effort, between one thing and another (but I did get the doors sanded and refinished!)

265 QSO's, 42,400 points, and most importantly...

80 sections... my first ever clean sweep in SS!

All with 100 W out from a Ten-Tec Omni VI+ & Butternut HF6V on 10 - 40, Tec-Tec Corsair II & Inverted "L" on 75.

Anyone else (of those that operated the contest, of course)?

You swept with only 265 Q's? Impressive. Get that man a coffee mug!

I thought I did pretty well with 40 sections and only 107 Q's. I should have tried harder.

WX7P
11-22-2011, 06:30 AM
NLI was tough this year. I didn't snag him until late on Sunday. BC was earlier on Sunday. The rest of that group I got overnight on 40 or 75 SSB. There were two or three stations on from the USVI (NP2B comes to mind) , and I heard them on 10 late Sunday morning. I've heard some other grousing that SB was tough this year, there were some packet spots to the effect, but there were at least two guys on.

I was shocked to hear not one, but two VE8 stations in the Northern Territory on. Used to be you could count on VY1JA for the NT contact, but J has been less active for a variety of reasons. Still, I've never worked a pure VE8 before. (I did once work someone on an IOTA trip, but that was a VE8/ which isn't quite the same thing, and that wasn't in SS anyway). Got one of them, never could break the pileup on the other (and I wasn't trying to hard anyway)

WMass was easy this year, EMass was very tough (my next to last section). Usually it's the other way around. Almost didn't get RI for my last one; W1XX was running a small pileup on 7199.5, and a pair of pig-farmer types plopped down right on top of him to "teach them damn contesters a less" (and never mind that W1XX was on before they showed up on 7200, I was listening) and drove him off the air. Then I heard an ND1 (IIRC) with a low number on 75 just before I called it quits. Got him on a couple of calls. The ham running W3YA (who I know casually from Pa QSO) was in the same pile-up, Mark told me later that he didn't get that RI but another one showed up a little later on. He only missed one... VE2. Go figure, this year the "tough" ones were easy, and the "easy" ones were tough...

I'm astounded that SB would be a tough section. Geography is fickle, I suppose. Actually, I didn't work SF or any of the SoCal stations, which is weird. There's usually a zillion SF stations on but I don't recall hearing any this time.

You are absolutely correct about the "tough" stations. I worked VE8EV with one call with my crappy antenna setup on 15 and W7NPN worked him later on some other band. I also worked all the small flyovers (ND, SD, NB, WY etc) almost right away. Wyoming was all over 40 meters, as was AK and PAC. BC was really loud here. OTOH, I missed the SoCal stations, as mentioned, and KY.

W3WN
11-22-2011, 02:44 PM
You swept with only 265 Q's? Impressive. Get that man a coffee mug!

I thought I did pretty well with 40 sections and only 107 Q's. I should have tried harder.To be honest, I probably won't bother. I have spare coffee mugs coming out of my a... ears.

The first 5 or 6 years that Pa QSO offered one (for working 100 + Q's) I got one, plus tons more.

I am going to have a word with N3ZK and see if he can do something appropriate in a wall plaque. It won't be "official" but so what?