PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a 3D TV yet?

W1GUH
11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Prices are coming down and I read raves about 3D TV.

kf0rt
11-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Don't have one, but I've seen the demos at Costco.

Pretty impressive. That red/green stuff never worked on me, but 3d TV works. Not sure I'd get much use out of it, though.

W1GUH
11-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks. Tried to see a demo at Best Buy but it wasn't working. Prolly saved some money...I'm such a 3D aficionado that I might have violated my usual "wait...the price will come down" rule of thumb.

IMHO, it's about damned time 3D became mainstream. The technology is really pretty simple.

kf0rt
11-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Vann's has a 40" Samsung on Black Friday pre-sale for a kilobuck, free glasses included:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/462551349/samsung-un40d6400

I can see how this would be a lot of fun with action and animation, but I don't seem to watch much of that.

W3MIV
11-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I guess it is the wave of the future, but I can't get myself past Bwana Devil and House of Wax.

NQ6U
11-20-2011, 06:38 PM
I thought all TVs were three-dimensional.

K7SGJ
11-20-2011, 07:18 PM
We've had a Samsung 3D for about a year. It's awesome. Some of the movies, especially the animated ones from Pixar, are unbeliveable. It blows me away when a butterfly appears to fly right past your nose. We only watch a half dozen or so 3D movies every year, mostly because the there aren't a whole lot of 3D movies available,yet. I just ordered some NatGeo 3D stuff like one about flight, and one about dinosaurs. When we bought it, we got a 3D bluray player, 4 Sherik movies (1 in 3D), and two pair of glasses.

I think the biggest drawback is the price tag on additional glasses, and the lack of 3D material at the moment, but that is slowly changing. The TV has a great HD picture in 3D as well as 2D. With some of the bargins coming up in the next few weeks, I'd highly recommend going 3D, it's a hoot.

W3MIV
11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
I can at least agree that Samsung's current LED models are the best I have found. I have a 55" (less than 1" thick) that is superb at 1080 and as cool as a cucumber. Alas, I am a fan of old Brit TV mysteries (Frost, Morse, Barnaby, etc) and only watch stuff on Netflix (though the xyl watches all kinds of bullshit on FiOS TV).

On the other hand, I have a Samsung Blue-Ray disk player with WiFi and all the other features that is one of the worst bits of junk I have suffered. It's end is getting nearer and nearer. It quite suddenly freezes when streaming online stuff and will respond to no other button than the power switch. Reboot and start from scratch -- then try to FF to find where you were in a movie or show when it fell into the wormhole.

n6hcm
11-20-2011, 10:34 PM
i'm not sure i ever will. there's not enough content now, and they're too expensive. plus, my flatscreen tvs are hardly old.