PDA

View Full Version : Almost Striking Out

n2ize
11-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Last night was my night for coming close to a strikeout, Strike one occurred at around 8:30 pm as I stepped onto a Brooklyn bound subway train amidst a crowd. Now sooner do i step on that I hear a woman nearby saying" did anyone lose a cell phone ?". I turn and look and sure enough she's holding my cell phone that had apparently fallen from my pocket. I thank her for returning it and am thankful it was not lost. Strike two occurred about two and a half hours later I am at a nightclub. I buy a drink, pay for it, got to put the change in my wallet and viola', now I discover my wallet is gone. That sense of anxiety, misery, despair starts to creep over me. Not only is my wallet gone but, with no money, no id, no credit cards, etc. I am going to have one hell of a time trying to get home with no money, no nothing.. Not to mention having to cancel cards, replace lost id's, etc. All this is going through my head as I am frantically scouring the dark floors amidst the crowd standing at the bar and moving about. Just when I had about given up hope some guy who was standing nearby with his wife or girl friend walks up to me and asks "did you lose this ?". Sure enough, there is the wallet, with all the money, cards, and everything still inside. He said he found it on the floor.

So, around that time I figured, I had better highball it back home before strike three comes along and I strike out. Just one of those bad nights where everything turns out well. :)

W1GUH
11-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Wow. What a night! So sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted, but at least you got your stuff back. You also point out a fact off life about life in NYC that goes completely against the "popular notion." It's a city where by and large the people really care about each other and will help out anytime they can. I, too, lost my wallet in a restaurant. Went through the whole process of getting a new driver' license and cancelling my credit cards. After going through that I went back to the restaurant to see if it turned up, and it had. And pretty much untouched except that somebody had stuffed the high-value stuff in a place where they weren't readily visible.

This can be a great, human city with a heart as "big as all outdoors."

OTOH, dropping a $100 bill where you've no chance of finding can hurt! Don't carry big bills anymore.

Glad it worked out, John.

n2ize
11-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Wow. What a night! So sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted, but at least you got your stuff back. You also point out a fact off life about life in NYC that goes completely against the "popular notion." It's a city where by and large the people really care about each other and will help out anytime they can. I, too, lost my wallet in a restaurant. Went through the whole process of getting a new driver' license and cancelling my credit cards. After going through that I went back to the restaurant to see if it turned up, and it had. And pretty much untouched except that somebody had stuffed the high-value stuff in a place where they weren't readily visible.

This can be a breat, human city with a heart as "big as all outdoors."

OTOH, dropping a $100 bill where you've no chance of finding can hurt! Don't carry big bills anymore.

Glad it worked out, John.

Yes, it certainly breaks the sterotype of NYC being a cruel, brutal, and uncaring place. A lot of people think that the NYC attitude is, "if he;s stupid enough to lose it I'm smart enough to keep it" or, "to hell with the person that lost...(item)". But it's not like that at all. The majority of New Yorkers do care and will do the right thing and will reach out to help someone in trouble. It was not the first time I, or someone I know, lost a wallet or other item and had it returned intact with nothing stolen, damaged, or removed. On the contrary the one time I lost my wallet in my closely knit upscale suburban community (where all the nice people are supposed to live) I never got it back and I know for certain someone had to have found it. So yeah, NYC people can be very considerate. They many not greet you and say hello (if we did that in a busy place like NYC nobody would get anywhere) but there are a lot of good decent honest people who will do the right thing and help should the need arise.

W1GUH
11-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Right on, John! :agree::cheers:

n2ize
11-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Right on, John! :agree::cheers:

(Taking a bow)... Thank you.

NQ6U
11-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Your benefactors were probably visitors from New Jersey...

kb2vxa
11-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Uh oh, here go the border wars again. (;->) Ain't it funny how Neew Yawakaz have a bad rep but don't seem to live up to it, I've never had less than a good experience any time I visited "the city".

NQ6U
11-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Uh oh, here go the border wars again. (;->) Ain't it funny how Neew Yawakaz have a bad rep but don't seem to live up to it, I've never had less than a good experience any time I visited "the city".

Same here, actually, I just couldn't resist the NJ joke. I've had a great time every time I've visited NYC. In fact, I seriously considered moving there at one point.

W3WN
11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Last night was my night for coming close to a strikeout, Strike one occurred at around 8:30 pm as I stepped onto a Brooklyn bound subway train amidst a crowd. Now sooner do i step on that I hear a woman nearby saying" did anyone lose a cell phone ?". I turn and look and sure enough she's holding my cell phone that had apparently fallen from my pocket. I thank her for returning it and am thankful it was not lost. Strike two occurred about two and a half hours later I am at a nightclub. I buy a drink, pay for it, got to put the change in my wallet and viola', now I discover my wallet is gone. That sense of anxiety, misery, despair starts to creep over me. Not only is my wallet gone but, with no money, no id, no credit cards, etc. I am going to have one hell of a time trying to get home with no money, no nothing.. Not to mention having to cancel cards, replace lost id's, etc. All this is going through my head as I am frantically scouring the dark floors amidst the crowd standing at the bar and moving about. Just when I had about given up hope some guy who was standing nearby with his wife or girl friend walks up to me and asks "did you lose this ?". Sure enough, there is the wallet, with all the money, cards, and everything still inside. He said he found it on the floor.

So, around that time I figured, I had better highball it back home before strike three comes along and I strike out. Just one of those bad nights where everything turns out well. :)I hope you at least bought that guy a drink, and did something equally nice for the lady who found your phone (or at least offered). I would have done that.

Just goes to prove, though, that there are decent, honest people in the world. Even in NYC. [That's not a wisecrack, remember, I've been there. OK, maybe a little one...]

W3WN
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Your benefactors were probably visitors from New Jersey...Hey! I resemble that remark! :evil:

n2ize
11-21-2011, 07:38 PM
I hope you at least bought that guy a drink, and did something equally nice for the lady who found your phone (or at least offered). I would have done that.

Just goes to prove, though, that there are decent, honest people in the world. Even in NYC. [That's not a wisecrack, remember, I've been there. OK, maybe a little one...]

Well, there was not much I could have done for the lady on the subway, except offer her my thanks. Well, I guess I could have offered her out for a date for dinner or a night out on the town but under the circumstances a sincere thank you was probably most appropriate. As for the gentleman was the bar yes, I should have offered to buy him a beer or a drink but, at the moment I was so thrilled and that came as an afterthought.

kb2vxa
11-21-2011, 09:23 PM
"In fact, I seriously considered moving there at one point."

Maybe you never heard the phrase it's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there? (;->)

I t'ink about-a mama, she used to say:
What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect.
What-a you t'ink you do? Why you look-a so sad? It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a place
Ah, shaddap-a you face.

KK4AMI
11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Does New York still have Tailors? You need to get your pockets fixed or zippers put in to hold your stuff! :)

W1GUH
11-21-2011, 10:04 PM
'vza:

Maybe you never heard the phrase it's a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there? (;->)

Actually, it's the opposite case...."New York is a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here."

Read that in a Look or Life article sometime in the mid-sixties, and it rings very, very true.

n2ize
11-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Does New York still have Tailors? You need to get your pockets fixed or zippers put in to hold your stuff! :)

Of course. There are some very fine tailors here.. Some very fancy and expensive and some very excellent and moderately priced.

n2ize
11-21-2011, 10:21 PM
'vza:

Actually, it's the opposite case...."New York is a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here."

Read that in a Look or Life article sometime in the mid-sixties, and it rings very, very true.

Both a great place to live and a great place to visit.

NQ6U
11-21-2011, 10:31 PM
'Actually, it's the opposite case...."New York is a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here."

Seriously, that's what I always say about San Diego. I mean, after you've seen the Zoo and spent a day at the beach, then what?

n2ize
11-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Actually I would prefer to live in Paris more than NYC or anyplace else in the world. I am a Parisian at heart.

W1GUH
11-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Actually I would prefer to live in Paris more than NYC or anyplace else in the world. I am a Parisian at heart.

I always felt that way. But every Parisian I've gotten to know in NY has said that New York is better. I KNOW I'd LOVE Paris and France in general -- but I understand what they're saying. Probably doesn't have that certain special something that's here in NYC.

n2ize
11-22-2011, 04:38 AM
I always felt that way. But every Parisian I've gotten to know in NY has said that New York is better. I KNOW I'd LOVE Paris and France in general -- but I understand what they're saying. Probably doesn't have that certain special something that's here in NYC.

True... We have that special something...Bloomberg. And before Bloomberg , Rudy. Those Parisian only wish they could have had 8 years of Rudy followed by 12 (or maybe 16) years of Bloomby. ;)

W3MIV
11-22-2011, 06:28 AM
Anyone who would pick NY over Paris has likely never been to Paris.

PA5COR
11-22-2011, 07:04 AM
I've been to Paris several times, the real one in France, but not New York USA, does that count? :mrgreen:

W1GUH
11-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Anyone who would pick NY over Paris has likely never been to Paris.

Oh? Parisians have never been to Paris? Interesting conclusion there.

Maybe you missed the statement, "Parisians who grew up in Paris have personally expressed a preference for New York."

Crap. Can't make a link work. I refer you to post 19.

W3MIV
11-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Maybe you missed the statement, "Parisians who grew up in Paris have personally expressed a preference for New York."

I didn't "miss" the statement; I "dismissed" the statement. I can cite dozens of people I know who are native Niew Yawkahs who fled the place. So what?

I have spent time in both cities. Paris did not earn its nickname, "City of Light," for naught. It is the most beautiful city in the world. Thirty days on Broadway or the Avenue of the Americas cannot compare with five minutes on the Champs Elysees or a two-minute stroll along the banks of the Seine.

W1GUH
11-22-2011, 07:59 AM
I "dismissed" the statement.

So you're calling me a liar, eh? Or the good people I've known from Paris? Or are you prejudiced against New York? Or anybody who disagrees with you?

Paris may be beautiful visually, but New York is beautiful in all ways, down the very core of its soul. Bet you never lived here, have you? If that's the case your opinions are uninformed about its beauty.

W3MIV
11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
So you're calling me a liar, eh? Or the good people I've known from Paris? Or are you prejudiced against New York? Or anybody who disagrees with you?

Bit of an overreaction, wouldn't you say? I called no one a liar; I merely underscored the personal unreliability of mere opinion. Some people have taste for sugar, etc, etc?

Paris may be beautiful visually, but New York is beautiful in all ways, down the very core of its soul. Bet you never lived here, have you? If that's the case your opinions are uninformed about its beauty.

How many times have you been to Paris? How much time have you spent there?

W3WN
11-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Both a great place to live and a great place to visit.Having grown up in the region, and having made frequent visits to NYC during my misspent youth...

A great place to visit. I wouldn't want to live there. YMMV, VWPBL(STn).

But to each their own.

W1GUH
11-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Bit of an overreaction, wouldn't you say? I called no one a liar; I merely underscored the personal unreliability of mere opinion. Some people have taste for sugar, etc, etc?

How many times have you been to Paris? How much time have you spent there?

No, no overreaction except maybe in your own mind. To "dismiss" a statement is a severe dis-respect of whoever made the statement. I would NEVER "dismiss" something you say because I disagree with it. I'd state my disagreement and ask for more detail about why you feel/think as you do. I might learn something. That is, up to the point where viscous personal attacks start happening.

To "dismiss" a statement sometimes means the the "dismisser" feels that he/she is omniscient and has no use whatsoever for alternate viewpoints, and is is too set in his/her ways to ever consider growing as a person.

W3WN
11-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Ah, c'mon guys. No need to fight. Paris is not for everyone. Neither is NYC. Look on the bright side though, neither is Philadelphia. Or Cleveland.

(And I've been to Philadelphia. And Cleveland.)

NQ6U
11-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Ah, c'mon guys. No need to fight. Paris is not for everyone. Neither is NYC. Look on the bright side though, neither is Philadelphia. Or Cleveland.

Toledo, on the other hand...

W3MIV
11-22-2011, 10:32 AM
I note my questions remain unaddressed.

To wit, "How many times have you been to Paris? How much time have you spent there?"

n2ize
11-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I like NYC for the drugs. But I am sure Paris has good drugs too.

KK4AMI
11-22-2011, 06:21 PM
(And I've been to Philadelphia. And Cleveland.)

As a decent "Picks" burger, you should never admit that

KK4AMI
11-22-2011, 06:26 PM
I have been to both New York City and Paris. Both are great cities, but I find both to have been ruined by "TOURISTS." Paris especially is crawling with Eastern European tripledecker tour buses and big hairy women with animal print dresses, dyed orange hair, babushkas and mustaches. I therefor resolved to do my part by not showing up as a tourist and ruining a perfectly good city.

W3WN
11-23-2011, 09:06 AM
As a decent "Picks" burger, you should never admit thatMe? Decent? Don't you know better by now?

No, remember that I'm not from around here, I'm a native of NNJ. You're not considered a "native" until everyone who knew you moved here is gone. It's been not quite 30 years, and that goal is still a long way off...

Spent two years with the family in a suburb, well kinda, of Philthydelphia. Of course, I did take my FCC 3rd Commercial there, before the office moved out to Langhorne.

And I had no choice about the trip to the land of the burning Cuyahoga. My old boss got married, and she insisted on the venue. Besides, the closest AES is in Wickliffe, which is just outside of Browns-land.

W3WN
11-23-2011, 09:07 AM
I have been to both New York City and Paris. Both are great cities, but I find both to have been ruined by "TOURISTS." Paris especially is crawling with Eastern European tripledecker tour buses and big hairy women with animal print dresses, dyed orange hair, babushkas and mustaches. I therefor resolved to do my part by not showing up as a tourist and ruining a perfectly good city.What are Browns & Bengals fans doing in Paris?