PDA

View Full Version : My name is Jeff, and I'm an Amazon [Prime] addict.

W4GPL
11-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Anyone else use Amazon Prime? http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/

I've setup subscriptions for all sorts of things, all my daily toiletries, cleaning supplies, cooking accessories.. I get a constant stream of packages from Amazon and I bet I'm saving thousands of dollars a year. 2 day shipping, instant movies, lots of Kindle books.. If they'd ship me food, I'd never have to go anywhere other than work and home again. :)

WØTKX
11-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm not that bad (yet), but yea, I like Amazon Prime.

If I don't "need it right away", I get it from Amazon.

W3MIV
11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
There's nothing like saving lots of money by spending lots more money.

I think.

:doh:

But in answer to the original interrogative, yes, I am a prime account at Amazon.

W4GPL
11-18-2011, 05:35 PM
There's nothing like saving lots of money by spending lots more money.

I think.Ha. I sincerely am buying things I would otherwise buy at the grocery/drug store. Soap, razors, etc. If I plan everything accordingly, I'll never have to go into another Walgreens as long as I live. :P

kc7jty
11-18-2011, 05:47 PM
What!!?? No freebies at Costco? The Madhava agave nectar is a rip. Under $14 for Wholesome brand at Costco.

http://www.amazon.com/Marie-Sharps-Green-Habanero-Pepper/dp/B0000DG56O/ref=prime_typ_click_picks?pf_rd_p=1270926702&pf_rd_s=bottom-1&pf_rd_t=8101&pf_rd_i=PPS_HOME&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QTV79HC62K6GZZFWN6A

(http://www.amazon.com/Marie-Sharps-Green-Habanero-Pepper/dp/B0000DG56O/ref=prime_typ_click_picks?pf_rd_p=1270926702&pf_rd_s=bottom-1&pf_rd_t=8101&pf_rd_i=PPS_HOME&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QTV79HC62K6GZZFWN6A)Holy Christ! Sells here at an oriental grocery for 1/3 that price.

PA5COR
11-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Nope.
If i see something tempting i go sit in the corner and wait till the urge is gone, now that saves a lot of money!!
Pity the wife isn't so clever....

W4GPL
11-18-2011, 05:59 PM
What!!?? No freebies at Costco? The Madhava agave nectar is a rip. Under $14 for Wholesome brand at Costco.

Holy Christ! Sells here at an oriental grocery for 1/3 that price.Yeah, not everything is a deal. You have to be smart about it. For example, I bought bought my soap that I typically pay $7.50 for at the grocery store or Walgreens, I got it for $6.25 on Amazon (free shipping) and it'll be here Monday. And I set it up to ship the same soap to me every two weeks until I tell it not to; I adjust the frequency depending on how often I need stuff(s).

It should be noted that I can't drive right now, so having stuff shipped to me is a major plus.

WØTKX
11-18-2011, 06:00 PM
You're a mind reader Bill... I compare Amazon to Costco, but it's better. I really need to investigate the toiletries and sundries angle. Maybe Food? I started by buying music and movies as downloads. Who needs a Blue Ray when you can download HD files?

Then, I started buying tools and electronics from them. Panavise and accessories where very competitive. Those little "Class T" audio amps that I've posted about. Bluetooth headsets and AV cables too. I may buy a cell phone from them, if I don't go with Cricket.

It's a good thing, at least while our infrastructure lasts. :chin:

W3MIV
11-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Ha. I sincerely am buying things I would otherwise buy at the grocery/drug store. Soap, razors, etc. If I plan everything accordingly, I'll never have to go into another Walgreens as long as I live. :P

I wuz jess twistin' that ol' donkey's tail, Jeffie. ;)

W3MIV
11-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Being devoted to Amazon Prime does not equate with being a sloppy or inattentive shopper.

Last night I elected to replace an old shaving brush holder, something that neither the Costco nor the local pill counters stock -- yet I had my choice ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous on Amazon. I used "one-click" and it was supposed to be shipped two-day routing. It arrived today.

I could easily have paid more than $19.95, and almost any online supplier would happily add another seven or eight bucks and ship it out to me after the weekend.

Best of all, it is not a blind buy -- such as one might encounter on eBay (notorious for hawking counterfeit Gillette Fusion cartridges). If something is amiss, Amazon stands behind their vendor. So far as I am concerned, it's a great deal.

kf0rt
11-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Never knew they had scheduled buys.

Just checked, and I've ordered 13 times from Amazon this year and it looks like about half of those went to affiliate sellers. Got a free month, so we'll see. :dunno:

kc7jty
11-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah, not everything is a deal. You have to be smart about it. For example, I bought bought my soap that I typically pay $7.50 for at the grocery store or Walgreens, I got it for $6.25 on Amazon (free shipping) and it'll be here Monday. And I set it up to ship the same soap to me every two weeks until I tell it not to; I adjust the frequency depending on how often I need stuff(s).

It should be noted that I can't drive right now, so having stuff shipped to me is a major plus.

I buy unscented soap by the case, 48 per. Get free shipping cause it's always over $25. Case lasts me 4+ years.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/grisi-neutral-bar-soap/ID=prod6036381-product

(http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/grisi-neutral-bar-soap/ID=prod6036381-product)Looks like the price is up. $1 each last time I bought last year.

W4GPL
11-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Same here, unscented. I'm always amazed how much better I smell when I use unscented-everything. Laundry soap, bath soap, hand soap. I don't need to smell artificial to not smell. I do use a pretty mild cologne, but at least that's a single scent of my choosing.

W4GPL
11-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Never knew they had scheduled buys.Me either until a couple of months ago. The scheduled buys usually come with a 15% discount, though you're not obligated. If you change your mind, you still get the 15% -- I'm not sure how long they'd let you get away with canceling your schedules though.. I've been pretty honest about it, I haven't taken the discount unless I expect to actually get it every X days/weeks.

I'm seriously getting a single package a day delivered to me at work.. it's quite nice.

kc7jty
11-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I discovered the Grisi Natural (Neutro in Spanish) while in Mexico (it's made there). It is an extremely high quality no bullshit bar soap. The only problem with buying it online is it will pick up the hoard of other smells in the warehouse and in shipping.
I can't use regular soap with chlorinated municipal water. The two give me a skin rash. The Neutral is no problem with the city water.

Completely "fragrance free" bar soaps are extremely hard to come by in this country. Here is another:
http://www.kirksnatural.com/barsoap.html
(http://www.kirksnatural.com/barsoap.html)(beware there is a scented and unscented version)
What kind of unscented (actually it has to be termed "fragrance free" to be 100% unskunked) do you get?

W4GPL
11-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Interesting. I don't use any bar soaps. I use liquid 'bath wash' and liquid hand soap.. I find that bar soap makes my skin too dry, especially in the higher altitudes.

kc7jty
11-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Mebbe I should try a liquid, what do you use?

W4GPL
11-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Tom's of Maine, I use their toothpaste too.

ka8ncr
11-19-2011, 10:52 AM
You need to be part of Amazon Vine; they ship you free crap and you write reviews on it.

N8YX
11-19-2011, 01:12 PM
I've started to look at Amazon's offerings in the tool department...specifically, bicycle shop equipment. For those familiar with the Park line of tools, you know they're not cheap - yet Amazon usually has most Park stuff for approximately half of what most other mail-order outfits charge.

'DSG and her partner in grime 'XTF are frequent Amazon fliers - cleaning supplies, yard and garden equipment, you name it.

W1GUH
11-19-2011, 03:33 PM
You might say I've got Amazon-envy. I can't use Amazon regularly because UPS service here is so bad I just can't use Amazon. And when I do order something from them (last one was a set of blue willow dishes that are excellent) I've got to take a day off work to receive the package.

Sure wish they'd ship USPS. Believe it or not, USPS's service is outstanding!

W4GPL
11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
I have most everything shipped to my office..

kc7jty
11-19-2011, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyzVUxnyIGo

n6hcm
11-20-2011, 04:46 AM
I have most everything shipped to my office..

i used to do that with stuff i wanted quickly but the loading dock drew the line at the monthly shipment of canned cat food.