PDA

View Full Version : Well, here's what I learned today......

W1GUH
11-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Caution: The following contains old fart medical stuff. If you are offended by this in any way, do yourself a favor and hit your back button now. Thanks for your cooperation.

Ok....here's my condition. The cancer isn't in my stomach, it's in my esophagus. And, it's a type that loves to take a nice, long swim in my blood stream, so the spots on my liver are most probably meta-static cancer - that's its favorite vacation destination. So that's the bad news.

The good news is this type of cancer is very controllable with medication that only has mild side-effects, and my hair ain't gonna fall out yet. And it normally starts shrinking the tumor immediately, so could be that I'll FINALLY be able to chow-down normally soon. And no major surgery for the near-term.

I'm HUNGRY!!!!!!

KJ3N
11-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Pass the man a doobie. ;)

W1GUH
11-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks, I could use one...or two...or three....

K7SGJ
11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Here, take hit from the bong, and I'll bar-b-que up a leg of cow for ya.

ab1ga
11-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Ok....here's my condition. The cancer isn't in my stomach, it's in my esophagus.

If you don't mind answering, I'm curious about the location of the tumor. Did any of your medical team mention a condition called Barret's esophagus?

W1GUH
11-16-2011, 09:31 PM
If you don't mind answering, I'm curious about the location of the tumor. Did any of your medical team mention a condition called Barret's esophagus?

Yes, they did. The tumor is right at the esophagus-stomach junction. IIRC, Barret's Syndrome (I believe the expression he used) was what happens after long-term acid reflux -- it causes the esophagus, which is normally gland-free, to develop gland-like growths that can become pre-cancerous. But I'm on thin ice there -- since I have no history of acid reflux, it didn't apply to me.

As for what causes this, they really don't know. Possibly acid reflux, but the connection isn't really established. And the incidence is so low, it's really hard to characterize.

But funny thing...I was talking to a ham friend earlier and he said he knows two other hams that have developed this in the last year.

W1GUH
11-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Here, take hit from the bong, and I'll bar-b-que up a leg of cow for ya.

I'll take that bong now...hell, be careful, I'm going to BOGART that bong! As for that leg of cow, I'll take a raincheck til the obstruction is gone and I can FINALLY munch out properly! I'll eat he whole damn thing!

Thanks!

W3WN
11-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I'll take that bong now...hell, be careful, I'm going to BOGART that bong! As for that leg of cow, I'll take a raincheck til the obstruction is gone and I can FINALLY munch out properly! I'll eat he whole damn thing!

Thanks!In the meantime, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

And learn CW.

kc7jty
11-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Good luck Paul.

PA5COR
11-17-2011, 02:58 AM
Indeed good luck Paul, you will be in our thoughts here.

W3MIV
11-17-2011, 07:11 AM
We're all pulling for you, Paul.

N8YX
11-17-2011, 07:15 AM
We're all pulling for you, Paul.

Indeed. I find the acid reflux angle (or the lack thereof, in this case) to be somewhat intriguing.

W1GUH
11-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone. That really, really helps!

W1GUH
11-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Indeed. I find the acid reflux angle (or the lack thereof, in this case) to be somewhat intriguing.

Yea, it's prettty much a case of there's no real known risk factors. But funny thing, I was talking to a ham friend about this last night and he knows two other hams to whom this has happened in the past year. Both AM'ers. Does AM cause Cancer?

K7SGJ
11-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Hang in there and keep us posted.

And get a fuckin haircut.

W1GUH
11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Hang in there and keep us posted.

And get a fuckin haircut.

Almost exact quote of a snippet of conversation with the Doctor:

Doctor: "There's a third chemical that can increase effectiveness but at the price of worse side effects. It WILL cause your hair to fall out."
ME: "Well, whatever it..."
Doctor: (interrupting) "Hang on there. You've got great hair, it's unique and part of you. Losing it would be a whole lifestyle change. No need to go that route yet."

So there! :neener:

And far be it from me to go against Doctor's orders!

K7SGJ
11-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Never mind......................

NQ6U
11-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Good luck, Paul—Beat the Reaper!

BTW, I was was going to tell you to get a haircut but Eddie beat me to it. You LSD-smoking hippie.

K7SGJ
11-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Good luck, Paul—Beat the Reaper!

BTW, I was was going to tell you to get a haircut but Eddie beat me to it. You LSD-smoking hippie.

That don't make him ALL bad.

KC2UGV
11-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Well, at least you got good news too :) I'm glad to hear you wont be needing the "hair loss" meds at this time :)

W3MIV
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, at least you got good news too :) I'm glad to hear you wont be needing the "hair loss" meds at this time :)

Why? Seems he has enough to spare.

W1GUH
11-17-2011, 12:54 PM
It's MINE...all MINE! ;)

ab1ga
11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Yea, it's prettty much a case of there's no real known risk factors. But funny thing, I was talking to a ham friend about this last night and he knows two other hams to whom this has happened in the past year. Both AM'ers. Does AM cause Cancer?

Now you know of three other hams with Barrett's Disease; the change from stomach to esophageal cancer in your reports hinted that the lesion must be at the junction of the two, and Barrett's Disease, while itself not cancer, seems to be correlated with a particular form of esophageal cancer. My GI dude told me that while esophageal cancer isn't at the top of the cancer charts, having Barrett's Disease increases the risk to the level of colorectal cancer.

I was also surprised when I found out that my lower esophagus had formed what is essentially a stomach lining, since I never had what I thought was acid reflux. Then when I thought about it I remembered a period of some time during college when I was constantly bothered by the feeling that I had swallowed a brick, and a general tightness in the chest. Cardiac health was fine, but this was before GERD was the affliction du jour and everybody started popping Prilosec.

I have never run AM, but I am told that I have great hair, inherited from my father. :) Can't say anything about my cancer status, because complications prevent a biopsy from being performed, and I've to arrange for some new-fangled optical identification techniques they've been playing with at MGH. Best of luck to you, we're all pulling for our favorite hippie, and maybe the weather at NEARFest will be better in the spring.

W1GUH
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
"...hinted that the lesion must be at the junction of the two,..."
exactly where it is, so until the oncologist looked at it it could have been either.

"Now you know of three other hams with Barrett's Disease,"

Don't know if they had the Barret's thing or not. I know I didn't or don't. No telling how I got it.

KJ3N
11-17-2011, 03:38 PM
It's MINE...all MINE! ;)

http://www.animationartwork.com/artwork/imagery/l.mine%20mine%20mine.jpg

W1GUH
11-17-2011, 03:44 PM
^ ^ ^

:rofl:

Thanks!