PDA

View Full Version : Colt has commenced manufacturing the mustang again

kc7jty
11-13-2011, 01:19 AM
My piece just lost $200 in value, unless full stainless has any draw?

W5GA
11-13-2011, 08:09 AM
My piece just lost $200 in value, unless full stainless has any draw?
Most of them were, so not really.

W3MIV
11-13-2011, 08:23 AM
When it comes to the 9mm Kurz, I am a Walther PPK fan.

W5GA
11-13-2011, 08:44 AM
All the examples I've handled had horrid triggers. Pretty, though.

PA5COR
11-13-2011, 08:48 AM
I hate 9 mm handguns, what's wrong with a decent .357 Magnum load? in my Desert Eagle or S&W 686 they work fine, thank you.
Much more choice in reloading as well :)

W5GA
11-13-2011, 08:52 AM
I hate 9 mm handguns, what's wrong with a decent .357 Magnum load? in my Desert Eagle or S&W 686 they work fine, thank you.
Desert Eagles are orders of magnitude harder to carry, as is the 686.

W3MIV
11-13-2011, 09:17 AM
All the examples I've handled had horrid triggers. Pretty, though.

It's not a target pistol, that's for sure. As a carry pistol, it's hard to beat; very concealable and ultra-reliable. Over the usual range one could expect to need it, it offers more than sufficient accuracy and the cartridge will do the job -- if that "horrid" trigger actually has to be pulled.

I still prefer a wheel gun. My trusty 2.5" Diamondback in its shiny (still) black Bucheimer "duty holster" remains my fave after all these years. Good ol' .38 Spl with 125 JHP will carry the day unless you find yourself in a war, which in my experience is very unlikely. No +P need apply.

N8YX
11-13-2011, 09:36 AM
When they start manufacturing the Anaconda again, let me know.

W5GA
11-13-2011, 09:46 AM
The chances of Colt making revolvers again are slim and none, slim just left town.

KK4AMI
11-13-2011, 09:47 AM

I had two Anacondas in 45 Colt and 44 Mag. To be truthful I got rid of them and kept my Ruger Redhawk. IMHO the Anaconda was not made as well as any of the other snake guns. I do have a Python Target in 38 SPC and a Diamondback in 22RF.

My carry is a Stainless Steel American Derringer in 45 COLT/410 Shotgun with 4 inch barrels. I load it with Blackpowder which makes a great smoke screen as well. :) It also has a horrid trigger which makes me feel safe I won't shoot my Hoo-Hoo off if I carry in my pocket. I use the 10 ft and center of mass rule

W5GA
11-13-2011, 09:54 AM
It's not a target pistol, that's for sure. As a carry pistol, it's hard to beat; very concealable and ultra-reliable. Over the usual range one could expect to need it, it offers more than sufficient accuracy and the cartridge will do the job -- if that "horrid" trigger actually has to be pulled.
All true, I just don't like the transition from DA to SA.

I still prefer a wheel gun. My trusty 2.5" Diamondback in its shiny (still) black Bucheimer "duty holster" remains my fave after all these years. Good ol' .38 Spl with 125 JHP will carry the day unless you find yourself in a war, which in my experience is very unlikely. No +P need apply.
And it will serve you well, that's a really nice gun. My current normal carry is one of these in its Iver Johnson guise:

kc7jty
11-13-2011, 01:51 PM

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/In-hand.jpg

(mine is full stainless, this one shown is the aluminum alloy)

It's a cute little sucker though. I bought it as an investment about 20 rears ago and never fired it.
I must admit I'm not thrilled with SA. Have a 1911 A1 too.

kc7jty
11-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Wish I had my Ruger, 6", security 6, 357 wheel back (the ol lady got it in the divorce so I could keep the Ford van we had) I paid $139 for it in 1978 at the local supermarket in Idaho. The sales receipt had broccoli and hamburger listed along with the gun.

Here's the 4" version:
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/handguns/usa/revolver/1287756828.jpg

W3MIV
11-13-2011, 03:35 PM
The new Rugers with the shock-absorbing polymer grips are sweet shooters. They are far from target revolvers, but they are strong and utilitarian workhorses. I like .357 for its versatility (being able to shoot both Specials and Mag loads, like the .44 which will gobble Specials as well as the artillery rounds), and I used to shoot regularly a 686 Power Port which was superbly accurate at 25yds, but a bit hard to keep in the black at fifty.

I loaded .38 Spl loads in .357 cases to keep the bullet at the forcing cone in the chamber, but lead wadcutters would load the damned compensation space with lead and it was a pain to keep clean. Dropped it in favor of a classic 6" Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece in glossy black, with target hammer spur and trigger.

I should add (by way of edit) that I still have a 1911 that I built on a Fillipino frame. One of the most astonishing guns I have ever found for $350 retail (at the time). The lockwork was truly awful, but the fit of frame, slide and barrel was as tight as any Les Baer I have shot. Swaped out all the internals for Jim Clark components, but added an original wide-spur hammer (1911 pre-A1) just for the halibut. I no longer shoot the Big Boy, however, and he just sits locked away and pining for a match.

Nowadays, however, I limit myself to .22 RF for competition. I shoot a Walther GPS and, so far, I have managed to hold onto my NRA Expert classification. I will be shooting an indoor sectional at York and Adams in Abbottstown this February. I prefer CCI Standard or Aguila SE fodder in the GPS, though I will often shoot higher velocity stuff in my Rugers.

N8YX
11-13-2011, 04:16 PM
I had two Anacondas in 45 Colt and 44 Mag. To be truthful I got rid of them and kept my Ruger Redhawk. IMHO the Anaconda was not made as well as any of the other snake guns. I do have a Python Target in 38 SPC and a Diamondback in 22RF.

Their Custom Shop would be up to the task of addressing any build quality issues, though I tend to agree with your choice (Ruger). 'DSG currently shoots a scoped Super Blackhawk Hunter in 45 Colt, although she would love to lay her mitts on the Redhawk Hunter - but may be in for a bit of a search, as ~200 were made in 45 Colt.

When I grab a wheelgun or three for myself it'll be in the form of a Super Redhawk - 9 3/8" 44 Mag and 454 Casull (the latter being somewhat rare) and maybe a 9 3/8" 480 Ruger setup...though I might consider the more common 7 3/8" version.

W3MIV
11-13-2011, 05:21 PM
When I grab a wheelgun or three for myself it'll be in the form of a Super Redhawk - 9 3/8" 44 Mag and 454 Casull (the latter being somewhat rare) and maybe a 9 3/8" 480 Ruger setup...though I might consider the more common 7 3/8" version.

Don't forget to order spare lanyards.

PA5COR
11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Walther GSP .22 LR for target shooting.
Never carry a gun, so that is no problem too ;)
Add the US M1 .30 Carbine ( 1944 production) which i bought never fired from the police here when they went for the 9 mm H&K.
Fun thing to shoot at our indoor range at 100 meters.
Sold the S&W 629 classic DX .44 Magnum to my brother in law, won all competitions with it, so it got boring.

Still have 1000 new, once fired Lawman brass for it...

NQ6U
11-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Albi, where do you buy your standard-velocity .22LR cartridges? They shoot the best in my little Ruger 77-22 bolt action rifle but I'm down to my last box and I can't find them anywhere locally.

W3MIV
11-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Albi, where do you buy your standard-velocity .22LR cartridges? They shoot the best in my little Ruger 77-22 bolt action rifle but I'm down to my last box and I can't find them anywhere locally.

Alas, Carlo, I am in Maryland and you are in the sainted Land of Wonder. I buy mine at an outlet in PA -- it is about a three hour drive each way. I usually buy in bulk due to the fluctuation in supply of target stuff -- um, make that AFFORDABLE target stuff. At present I have about 17,500 rds of CCI Standard in the armory. Last buy ran about $235 per case (5k) for paper pack. Plastic pack costs a lot more (and you can't shoot the boxes). I should point out (by way of edit) that I get together with a bunch of other targeteers and we buy a dozen cases or more at a time and send a truck up with cash money.

You might try Graf & Sons here (http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/378?). They list the plastic pack. Aguila standard velocity stuff is excellent (made in ol' Mayheeco). Graf is in MO and they are a very reliable outfit.

W3MIV
11-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I should also point out that the Aguila target stuff is Eley primed.

NQ6U
11-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Albi. I'm not able to shoot often so five hundred or so cartridges would last me a while.

Also, while we're sort of on the topic, does anyone here have experience with the the .17 HMR? Not that I'm going to buy one any time soon but it seems like it might be a lot of fun to shoot.

W5GA
11-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Also, while we're sort of on the topic, does anyone here have experience with the the .17 HMR? Not that I'm going to buy one any time soon but it seems like it might be a lot of fun to shoot.
Not directly, but my esteemed elder brother says it's instant death on coyotes to about 75 yds. I do know that the Savage comes with an atrocious trigger. I made one better for a customer, got it down in the 2 1/2 pound range, but it took about an hour and a half of work with the trigger stones to get there. Nice little shooter after I was done.

W3MIV
11-14-2011, 07:22 AM
And it will serve you well, that's a really nice gun. My current normal carry is one of these in its Iver Johnson guise:

Friend of mine had a Star 1911 variant in .45ACP that was a fine and serviceable pistol. Tight enough for excellent accuracy, though not a target gun, and very nicely blued.

I once owned a Browning BDA in .380ACP, but that sucker bit worse than any original 1911. It was also a double-stack, and I do not like the added thickness. Otherwise, it was a nice pistol. All of the double-action first pull types have heavy, draggy triggers. The alternative is to carry a single-action like the 1911 in condition one readiness, but I have safety concerns about that choice (all of which are admittedly debatable). I believe the Glock to be a far better choice, but again they are thick and don't have the best triggers around -- though it is foolish to compare a defense handgun trigger to a target trigger, IMO.

I sometimes think, were I to opt to carry, I would choose my Model 1873 with the hammer down on an empty chamber. Other, perhaps, than the sound of a Mossberg 500 slide working, few bits of music rival that quick series of characteristic clicks that announce the hammer moving into battery on a Peacemaker. Too, I believe there is something especially awe inspiring about staring into that yawning bore -- sort of like standing in front of the Point of Rocks tunnel and seeing that headlight rushing at you.

Maryland, alas, considers its citizens to be expendables. Our state constitution was stripped of all gun rights when Lincoln's legislature (ours was still locked in Fort McHenry) promulgated a new constitution without gun rights. Instead of a "shall-issue" law, we have a Gilbert-and-Sullivanesque system that protects the politicians and their favored flunkies but strips John Q nekkid in the street.

kc7jty
11-14-2011, 12:12 PM
http://wikimapia.org/p/00/01/60/22/27_big.jpghttp://cdn.visiontoamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Barbara.jpg?0673a6
************************************************** *************************************sister nogunsforyou buster

http://progressivepatriots.com/images/barbaramikulski.jpg http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/Kakiboo/JEREMY.jpg

W1GUH
11-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Desert Eagles are orders of magnitude harder to carry, as is the 686.

Yea, but the intimidation effect is awesome. Saw a LEO carrying one in his holster at Pt. Cabrillo, CA, a few years ago. Looked like a freqin' hip cannon!

NQ6U
11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I was thinking of another Point of Rocks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_of_Rocks,_Wyoming), one where I spend two days snowbound in an 18-wheeler when the Wyoming DOT closed down I-80. Real fun place, that one.

kc7jty
11-15-2011, 02:25 AM
I was thinking of another Point of Rocks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_of_Rocks,_Wyoming), one where I spend two days snowbound in an 18-wheeler when the Wyoming DOT closed down I-80. Real fun place, that one.
At least Ms Mikulski (Jeremy the Boob) has no jurisdiction there.