PDA

View Full Version : The Ham, the Headphones, the Horror

Jeff K1NSS
11-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Think you've heard everything? Wait until you hear of DX drowned out by Giant Sumatran Earwigs! Don't miss this harrowing personal account, presented by Dash!Reports, your Ham Radio News Hound...where else but Dashtoons! www.dashtoons.com (http://www.dashtoons.com)

NQ6U
11-11-2011, 12:00 AM
By the way, the correspondent for this harrowing personal account is a denizen of these shores.

Jeff K1NSS
11-11-2011, 01:11 AM
If Operator X emerges from the shadows, we can't be responsible for crowds of reporters, cameramen and fleets of satellite trucks, never mind the moon-suited CDC guys, garlands of yellow police tape, National Guard units and mobile Hawk missle batteries in case the earwigs rapidly mutate from Giant Sumatran to SuperGiant Sumatran earwigs. Then again, it could be a springboard to seat on the couch at Fox and Friends.

WØTKX
11-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Is Operator X related to Robert X. Cringely? :lol:

ki4itv
11-11-2011, 09:00 AM
That's it! No more headphones while I'm talking to these creeps. :lol:

Jeff K1NSS
11-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Operator X has emerged from the shadows.

Jeff K1NSS
11-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Surprised nobody on this Funway mentioned the earwigs' distant relation.

WØTKX
11-11-2011, 10:36 AM
http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickenshadow.jpg

Psychically, I'm very well endowed. ~ Lamont Cranston

K7SGJ
11-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I saw a documentary on Startrek about a distant cousin of the earwig. Seems they really do mess with the brain. Evidently these didn't have a lot to mess with between the David Clarks. :lol:

W3WN
11-11-2011, 11:26 AM
By the way, the correspondent for this harrowing personal account is a denizen of these shores.I noticed. :evil:

I think that tale might be just what my Decmber newsletter will need. With, naturally, full accreditation to the source. As long as both the correspondent and the reporter don't mind.

Jeff K1NSS
11-11-2011, 11:37 AM
W3WN,as long as my anonymous source KJ6BSO agrees, you're welcome to use the story. BTW, any toons and stories in Dashtoons' Gallery you're always welcome to mine for ham newsletter/website fill, no need to ask, just copy and paste.

ki4itv
11-11-2011, 12:22 PM

We usually let Ron do that. He's late.;)

on edit:
Whoops! missed his entrance...always refresh page before inserting foot, right?

W3WN
11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I saw a documentary on Startrek about a distant cousin of the earwig. Seems they really do mess with the brain. Evidently these didn't have a lot to mess with between the David Clarks. :lol:Well, it did have to do with Chekov.

W3WN
11-11-2011, 01:47 PM
W3WN,as long as my anonymous source KJ6BSO agrees, you're welcome to use the story. BTW, any toons and stories in Dashtoons' Gallery you're always welcome to mine for ham newsletter/website fill, no need to ask, just copy and paste.Thanks, that's good to know. But I like to ask anyway.

Jeff, I know you know this, but I don't think a lot of people realize just how much work goes into a decent newsletter. I try very hard to keep it interesting, and I'm always keeping an eye open on various web sites for items that would make good articles.

Last few months, I've even used posts from a certain ramen-consuming drama queen located, ah, off-shore, as a "lighter side" humor article. [Fortunately, the posts used did not include the usual off-topic side commentary about the more intimate details of said person's spouse.] I just wish I could find similar radio-related stores here in the Island! [That's what's called a HINT, gang]

Jeff K1NSS
11-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I just wish I could find similar radio-related stores here in the Island! [That's what's called a HINT, gang]

I second that. What I'm looking for, aside from harrowing first person accounts, are radio/food/drink related contributions to Dashtoons' Feedline department, especially with pictures and recipes, with emphasis on, but not restricted to cuisine at ham club socials. Play it straight, have fun, closeups of green Jello salad, troughs of Ziti, local/regional ethnic favorites, it's all good, so long as it's G-rated, not mean, not libelous, and not brazenly celebratory of intoxication -- which might sound no fun at all, but Dashtoons.com is pledged to uphold the Good Boys' Radio Relay League Code of Insufferable Purity. What shack snacks do you and hams of your acquaintance prefer? Field Day beverages? No need to write anything beyond names and calls, but let 'er rip if ya like and the more pix the better. Get out your fingerpaints, your Crayolas, your fancyass English watercolors. What's in it fer you? We'll pay in Dash!Books and Dash!Bone signed and numbered ceramic dogbone insulators. Not for nothing, food for thought. All them holiday parties comin' up!

NQ6U
11-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I noticed. :evil:

I think that tale might be just what my Decmber newsletter will need. With, naturally, full accreditation to the source. As long as both the correspondent and the reporter don't mind.

You have my permission, Ron. I suggest including Jeff's lead-in and epilogue which I think are better than the story itself.

NQ6U
11-11-2011, 10:13 PM

I got it, Compadre. Don't walk into that great sandstone building.

WØTKX
11-11-2011, 10:16 PM
The headphone helmet requires moar shielding. It's a conspiracy. ;)

http://totcycle.com/storage/tin%20foil%20hat.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=12 92574067235

N8YX
11-12-2011, 07:26 AM
One man's earwig is merely another man's trout bait. :whistle:

K7SGJ
11-12-2011, 11:44 AM
One man's earwig is merely another man's trout bait. :whistle:

Sounds kinda fishy.

Jeff K1NSS
11-12-2011, 04:18 PM
One man's earwig is Hair Club For Men's worst nightmare.