PDA

View Full Version : DX sniper tactic

N7TDK
11-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Have finally discovered how to beat the "big guns" in the pile-ups. Lately in the mornings after I wake up I tune to 10 meter (usually CW) on a clear freq. Then I read my book and drink my coffee until I hear a station come on and call CQ. So, I'm first in line to get him. When I've tried to get DX stations who've been parked on a freq for awhile I don't get in too often. 73, Bill (xe1/n7tdk) in Cuernavaca Mexico

KC2UGV
11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
It would work for me, if I could actually function in the morning prior to the third cup of coffee lol But, at least you got a system going. Now, work on your antennas :)

KC2UGV
11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Oh, and welcome to the Isles here :) Just noted you are on post #2 :cheers:

N8YX
11-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Unless you've got a really good antenna and automated station which can "hold" a frequency for hours on end, the S&P method is undoubtedly the best way to rack points up. Another trick is to make use of dual VFOs or a slaved receiver/transceiver setup: One stays tuned to the frequency of the DX which you gotta have, while the other prowls the band finding new stations to work. An RX/TRX configuration works best here as you can run the audio from each into the different channels of a pair of stereo headphones and listen to both frequencies at once. Use HRD or a similar rig control program (or Icom's CI-V master/slave functionality) to make the individual components track each other.

w3bny
11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I took a hint from a dx hunter of mine and put an xyl voice on my voice keyer. "they yl..the yl..again?" Kids supposedly work even better!

N8YX
11-15-2011, 02:20 PM
I took a hint from a dx hunter of mine and put an xyl voice on my voice keyer. "they yl..the yl..again?" Kids supposedly work even better!

Member of our old radio club was married to a Costa Rican senorita who (in addition to being a licensed amateur) was fluent in several languages, including Spanish. Put her on the 20M phone station, rotate the antenna southward and rack up points...

N7YA
11-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Ive never had a big gun station, gotta be sneaky sometimes too.