PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful announcement

W5GA
11-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Get out your Dec. 2011 issue of QST , and turn to page 67. Heathkit is returning to the amateur radio kit market!!! WOOHOOO!!!!

kf0rt
11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Very interesting...

Amateur Radio kits are simple to complex to maximize skill levels and operational levels. We are developing new kits now based on your recommendations. Please check back for updates and product launches.

http://www.heathkit.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123&Itemid=242

Wonder how long it'll be.

N8YX
11-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Give Elecraft and DZKit some real competition and you'll pique my interest.

K7SGJ
11-09-2011, 05:03 PM
There's some good news. I don't get QST anymore, so anyone know if they are just going foward from here, or will they be doing any support on old stuff? And, of course, are they still in Benton Harbor?

W5GA
11-09-2011, 05:46 PM
According to the QST blurb, they say initially they'll be doing accessories like dual watt meters, antenna tuners (something like the SA 2060A I hope) and the Cantenna. I'd really like to see an updated SB-220 with a better power supply. Another want would be a band decoder with both sourcing and sinking outputs, a multi port antenna switch the decoder would drive, maybe an antenna analyzer.

KC2UGV
11-10-2011, 07:30 AM
I hope they do a number of tube rigs... Hunting down those things can be painful, and given my lack of knowledge with tubes; I'm very wary of buying used. And, refuse to try and get one shipped.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 08:07 AM
I hope they do a number of tube rigs... Hunting down those things can be painful, and given my lack of knowledge with tubes; I'm very wary of buying used. And, refuse to try and get one shipped.

Be wary, but buy. In a lot of respects tube circuits are much simpler and easier to troubleshoot and fix than what you usually do. Lots of times just a visual and olfactory inspection will pinpoint the bad components. A handbook plus maybe a license manual from the early 60's -- usually pretty easy to find -- will have all the info you need, plus...the number of hollow-heads here will be more than happy to answer your questions. Hollow-state shit if FUN as hell, and some of those radios are superb!

Yea, I can dream that Heathkit will re-market the Apache and Chippewa 4-400 amp, can't I?

W3MIV
11-10-2011, 08:15 AM
I doubt if the initial offerings will be high-dollar kits with what amounts to restricted appeal -- such as tube rigs or amps. I see the potential mostly for educational kits with supplemental application to a "new" station. We who were staunch devotees of the Wizards of Benton Harbor (and of EICO and Allied and Lafayette) are now in the minority, and it is a diminishing minority at that.

I wish them all the success in the world, and I have bookmarked their site with hopes of finding something more than "maņana" on offer.

KJ3N
11-10-2011, 09:17 AM
I'd really like to see an updated SB-220 with a better power supply.

Wishful thinking, my friend. Like Albi, I just don't see tube "anything" in the cards. Now, or ever.

K7SGJ
11-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Years ago, I worked part time for a ham shop as well as the local Heath store for extra $$. The majority of the Heath stuff I worked on were kits that were butchered when put together. I hope they do some basic kits that will allow people to learn some basic stuff before they try to tackle the more complex. I kept telling the store manager that they should hold a short (free) class on Sat mornings to teach basic soldering and a few other things that would go a long way to helping the new builder achieve success. But nooooooooooooooo

Over the years I built a metric shitload of Heathkit's, and never had a bad component or didn't work first time around. They were marvelous. I did have a few that were short a part or had a wrong value resistor or cap, but those were easily found when laying out the components prior to assembly. I sure hope Heath is successful in their return. It will be interesting to see their offerings.

W5GA
11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Wishful thinking, my friend. Like Albi, I just don't see tube "anything" in the cards. Now, or ever.
Prolly true, but "updated" could include solid state, no?

kf0rt
11-10-2011, 09:41 AM

Under "audio kits" the Heathkit site says:

For those that want the pure sound from tubes with the latest technology. We are developing new kits now based on your recommendations.

NQ6U
11-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I will buy something from them as soon as they market a kit that I can use. I built my first Heathkit in 1968 and would love to see them back in the ham radio kit business again.

K7SGJ
11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Since this will undoubtedly increase the sale of solder, I think I'll buy a fews shares of solder stock.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Ah....the catch. Will heathkits still come packed with 60/40 solder?

I've still got solder left from one of my last Heathkits.

BTW...I've built a kit from Ramsey Electronics and (http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/)found their kits to be every bit as good as Heathkits. Dunno why more people aren't aware of them.

kf0rt
11-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Ah....the catch. Will heathkits still come packed with 60/40 solder?

I've still got solder left from one of my last Heathkits.

BTW...I've built a kit from Ramsey Electronics and (http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/)found their kits to be every bit as good as Heathkits. Dunno why more people aren't aware of them.

I got one of these:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM10C

It says: "Tunable anywhere in standard FM band... 88 to 108 MHz" Sort of. You get to pick a frequency and the transmitter drifts around that spot. Can't expect much for $45, I'll grant you, but that thing's about worthless.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I bought an already-built version of that with the synthesizer & it was just fine. Also got their FM antenna & it was well-made and worked good. The kit that I personally have almost finished (the application disappeared and so did my motivation -- but I'll finish it somday!) was the deluxe FM100B (http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM100B). The manual, organization of the parts and the parts themselve may as well been from Benton Harbor.

suddenseer
11-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Good deal! A long time ago, in a galaxy....heck. I was broken into the hobby by building a HOT WATER 16. I iwsh now that I did not give it away to a new novice that left town, and did not return it to me as part of the deal. FB OM CUL DE N8TB.

W5GA
11-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I will buy something from them as soon as they market a kit that I can use. I built my first Heathkit in 1968 and would love to see them back in the ham radio kit business again.
I think I'll buy something from them even without an immediate use, just to help drive the point home that there is demand.

kf0rt
11-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I bought an already-built version of that with the synthesizer & it was just fine. Also got their FM antenna & it was well-made and worked good. The kit that I personally have almost finished (the application disappeared and so did my motivation -- but I'll finish it somday!) was the deluxe FM100B (http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM100B). The manual, organization of the parts and the parts themselve may as well been from Benton Harbor.

Yeah, I imagine the synthesizer might fix it right up. As I recall (it's been a few years), the kit was very well done.

Another place worth checking out is Far Circuits: http://www.farcircuits.net/ Not exactly a kit place -- they sell the PCB's for a number of "homebrew" projects, so you typically get the board from them and buy your own components from Mouser or a place like that. They have boards for a lot of magazine article projects and the prices are very reasonable. Built a remote coaxial switch from one of their PCB's several years ago (QST article) -- works great.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I imagine the synthesizer might fix it right up. As I recall (it's been a few years), the kit was very well done.

Another place worth checking out is Far Circuits: http://www.farcircuits.net/ Not exactly a kit place -- they sell the PCB's for a number of "homebrew" projects, so you typically get the board from them and buy your own components from Mouser or a place like that. They have boards for a lot of magazine article projects and the prices are very reasonable. Built a remote coaxial switch from one of their PCB's several years ago (QST article) -- works great.

For completeness, this follow-up. The FM25 (http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FM25B) lacks the "Precision active low-pass "brick wall" audio filter" that's in the deluxe model. So you couldn't plug a cheap CD player into it, the extraneous highs from the CD made the transmitter go totally nuts! It was fine when plalying a tape through it, tho'.

W3WN
11-10-2011, 02:05 PM
There's some good news. I don't get QST anymore, so anyone know if they are just going foward from here, or will they be doing any support on old stuff? And, of course, are they still in Benton Harbor?The web site says that the corporate offices are in St. Joseph, MI. How far is that from Benton Harbor?

And not to be a spoilsport, but strictly speaking, Heathkit was the brand name, the old company was Heath. This new entity, however, is called Heathkit Educational Systems. I guess it's actually a spin-off from the original, sometime in the past?

KG4CGC
11-10-2011, 02:13 PM
ramsey kits do what they are supposed to do but the radio kits leave you guessing. Guessing what frequency you are tuning. I built the 10m FM receiver, the shortwave receiver, FM transmitter 10C, 20m direct conversion receiver and a couple of others. I would have been willing to pay more if they included a way to track the frequencies as they are tuned.
I'd like to build a receiver that covers AMBCB that has even a simple frequency read out, dial or led's, I don't care. One that also has good selectivity and sensitivity and can be aligned with a DMM or other simple means not requiring a scope or other specialized equipment.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 02:39 PM
ramsey kits do what they are supposed to do but the radio kits leave you guessing. Guessing what frequency you are tuning. I built the 10m FM receiver, the shortwave receiver, FM transmitter 10C, 20m direct conversion receiver and a couple of others. I would have been willing to pay more if they included a way to track the frequencies as they are tuned.
I'd like to build a receiver that covers AMBCB that has even a simple frequency read out, dial or led's, I don't care. One that also has good selectivity and sensitivity and can be aligned with a DMM or other simple means not requiring a scope or other specialized equipment.

You couldn't make a tuning scale to slip behind the knob?

And I gotta proselytize...

"...not requiring a scope...."

IMHO, an application that "requires" a scope is a GOOD thing. A 'scope is one of the most important and useful pieces of equipment a ham can own. It can tell you in a split-second glance what would otherwise take a LOOONG time, or be impossible otherwise.

And a lot of ham applictions don't require a fancy 'scope. Lots of things hams do can be done with even the simplest, most basic and cheapest of 'scopes.

Please to explain why "requiring a 'scope" is undesirable?

OK...stepping off the :soapbox:

KG4CGC
11-10-2011, 02:48 PM

IMHO, an application that "requires" a scope is a GOOD thing. A 'scope is one of the most important and useful pieces of equipment a ham can own. It can tell you in a split-second glance what would otherwise take a LOOONG time, or be impossible otherwise.

And a lot of ham applictions don't require a fancy 'scope. Lots of things hams do can be done with even the simplest, most basic and cheapest of 'scopes.

No, you could not simply slip a dial behind a knob and expect to know where you are.

You have a scope? Great. Now for everyone else out there who does not own one .....

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 03:21 PM
No, you could not simply slip a dial behind a knob and expect to know where you are.

You have a scope? Great. Now for everyone else out there who does not own one .....

About point #1....you can't set a radio for, say, 7200, tune it in, and mark a dial for that, then repeat at some usable interval? Or are you saying it's not at all repeatable so even if you DID to that it wouldn't do any good?

Point #2...Scopes are out there, and for cheap. Not sure I'm really clear about the tone of that last statement.

KC2UGV
11-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Because a decent scope + probes costs about the same as two DC-to-Daylight rigs...

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Because a decent scope + probes costs about the same as two DC-to-Daylight rigs...

Uh-uh. There's plenty of 'scopes out there that will do yeoman service in a ham shack for cheap. I picked up a Phillips 10Mhz dual-channel 'scope at a hamfest for $35. I've seen others in the same price range. The most expensive one I've seen was an excellent condition and complete Tektronix 465 for $250. For a general guide, check out what's happening in this regard on eBay.

And if anyone can't get to a hamfest, PM me next seasion. I'll be happy to look for one for you.

KG4CGC
11-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Not sure I'm really clear about the tone of that last statement. Check your treble.

The tuning on a Ramsey SW receiver had a varactor diode for main, front panel tuning. To change bands, so to speak, you needed to turn a ferrite slug in a can on the board.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/manuals/SR1.pdf

kf0rt
11-10-2011, 07:17 PM

"Decent" is the operative word here, but you're right. Out-of-cal scopes aren't real expensive, so you can play for "cheap." I've got an old Tek here (forget the model) that I bought on fleaBay for about $200. It does what I need, and I can't remember where I put it.

Let me know if you need a good place to buy probes and I'll look it up.

The used test equipment market is rife with good deals.

KG4CGC
11-10-2011, 07:48 PM
OK. You could put something behind it and mark off stuff on it, once you've figured out where you were. FWIW, I don't like that.

n2ize
11-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Be wary, but buy. In a lot of respects tube circuits are much simpler and easier to troubleshoot and fix than what you usually do. Lots of times just a visual and olfactory inspection will pinpoint the bad components. A handbook plus maybe a license manual from the early 60's -- usually pretty easy to find -- will have all the info you need, plus...the number of hollow-heads here will be more than happy to answer your questions. Hollow-state shit if FUN as hell, and some of those radios are superb!

Yea, I can dream that Heathkit will re-market the Apache and Chippewa 4-400 amp, can't I?

Most of my rigs you can troubleshoot by turning them on and look for where the smoke and the sparks are coming from... can't get simpler than that.

W7XF
11-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Question is:

Will Heathkit also supply a way-back machine to revert my eyeballs to 15 yrs old?????? :roll:

N7YA
11-15-2011, 05:17 PM
If Heath is smart, they will realize most hams are curmudgeony old nostalgics and if they introduce a line of ham gear...it must be affordable...that is tube and looks old-timey. They will have, if nothing else, die hard product loyalty for the remainder of the old geezers lives.

By the way, my first rig was an HW-8 kit. I traded it, half finished, for some crap i didnt need because i sucked at business dealings in my teens.

kf0rt
11-15-2011, 08:28 PM
If Heath is smart, they will realize most hams are curmudgeony old nostalgics and if they introduce a line of ham gear...it must be affordable...that is tube and looks old-timey. They will have, if nothing else, die hard product loyalty for the remainder of the old geezers lives.

By the way, my first rig was an HW-8 kit. I traded it, half finished, for some crap i didnt need because i sucked at business dealings in my teens.

They need to be careful.

From what I'm reading, they plan to offer some tube-based audio gear; maybe the ham stuff will follow that path.

Meantime, I have serous doubts that they can compete with the solid-state boys. Got two 5.1 audio systems in regular play here and they both just work and use late-model Yamaha receivers. Nostalgia? I need to get back on the air, but bought a used Drake C-line some time ago and found that it was a pain in the ass to use compared to a Kenwood TS-570 or even an Icom IC-7000. The Drake stuff WAS my nostalgia; many fond memories, but in 2000+, it isn't fun like it was when I was a kid.

Maybe if I was retired... But that'd be a bad business plan for Heath.

N7YA
11-16-2011, 07:16 AM
I agree. I dont think they will be able to compete at all with the K3's and 817's out there, but they can certainly notch out a margin market for themselves based on reputation alone. Granted they maintain what it was that got them the good rep to begin with.

K7SGJ
11-16-2011, 09:24 AM
I agree. I dont think they will be able to compete at all with the K3's and 817's out there, but they can certainly notch out a margin market for themselves based on reputation alone. Granted they maintain what it was that got them the good rep to begin with.

I agree. I sorta see Heath marketing station accessories, test equipment, ac/dc/radio learning kits, stuff for the home and auto, and maybe returning a few legacy radios with some technological refinements. What with all the cell phones, computers, sms, skype, and all the more modern means of communication, I don't see too many youngsters being awe inspired and thus interested in building a ham radio. Sadly, the current mentality seems to be that it is faster to just go buy whatever you want, and use it right now. If it doesn't work, exchange it for another. No skill or thought required. I would think that the real market for Heath will end up being existing hams, and late middle age and older; even then, it seems no one has the time needed to build, test, use, and appreciate something they have built with their own hands. I think those of us that do are a dying breed. :(

N7YA
11-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately, i must agree. At the risk of sounding like an OF at 45 yrs, this change is very real. Its a common fact that generations will change, and the previous one (going back to time immemorial) will kvetch and moan about how everything is going to hell, "kids these days, BAH!", and the like. But its true now more than ever, and its not just kids. Our society as a whole has run right into its own wall. Technology is not the culprit, but it most certainly is an accomplice. We can hide behind screen names and attack without recourse, we have gotten fatter and more indignant. Kids only go to school 3 days a week now and theres no emphasis on what they actually learn. Not to mention, theres no place for artistic endeavors or creativity in schools now...thats all been cut. Theres definately a trend of division and arrogance happening right now that is very dangerous to a healthy society.

So using our brains and tech know-how to build something is more of a rebellious act than the norm these days. While the majority says "uh, why not just use your cell phone", including many hams, the kit builders and antenna tinkerers must now reply with "no, ill be different and do it myself...i actually enjoy it".

Ive been very careful not to fall into the old guys mantra of "All of todays music is crap!", "They dont make 'em like they used to", etc. Because not all of todays music is crap, and many things are made FAR better than they used to be. The exception is ourselves. We have fallen behind in quality control and we just dont give a shit. Its sad that a person who chooses to follow a clean path, work hard and hangs on to decent values (not sexist, racist 'values' like the old days), and remains patiently vigilant on a simple path without drama or immediate payoff, is the one who is the oddball.

THIS is why i would wholeheartedly welcome back Heath kits! Certain things just need to have a small place reserved for them for those who might try to explore the world outside the packaged, processed glitterbox of a master planned society.

W2NAP
11-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Unfortunately, i must agree. At the risk of sounding like an OF at 45 yrs, this change is very real. Its a common fact that generations will change, and the previous one (going back to time immemorial) will kvetch and moan about how everything is going to hell, "kids these days, BAH!", and the like. But its true now more than ever, and its not just kids. Our society as a whole has run right into its own wall. Technology is not the culprit, but it most certainly is an accomplice. We can hide behind screen names and attack without recourse, we have gotten fatter and more indignant. Kids only go to school 3 days a week now and theres no emphasis on what they actually learn. Not to mention, theres no place for artistic endeavors or creativity in schools now...thats all been cut. Theres definately a trend of division and arrogance happening right now that is very dangerous to a healthy society.

So using our brains and tech know-how to build something is more of a rebellious act than the norm these days. While the majority says "uh, why not just use your cell phone", including many hams, the kit builders and antenna tinkerers must now reply with "no, ill be different and do it myself...i actually enjoy it".

Ive been very careful not to fall into the old guys mantra of "All of todays music is crap!", "They dont make 'em like they used to", etc. Because not all of todays music is crap, and many things are made FAR better than they used to be. The exception is ourselves. We have fallen behind in quality control and we just dont give a shit. Its sad that a person who chooses to follow a clean path, work hard and hangs on to decent values (not sexist, racist 'values' like the old days), and remains patiently vigilant on a simple path without drama or immediate payoff, is the one who is the oddball.

THIS is why i would wholeheartedly welcome back Heath kits! Certain things just need to have a small place reserved for them for those who might try to explore the world outside the packaged, processed glitterbox of a master planned society.

1. 99.9% of music today is crap (and im 29)
2. Kids these days wouldnt know a damn tube if it bit them on the bum
3. Damn kids need to stay off my lawn.

N7YA
11-18-2011, 05:09 AM
1. Well, the majority of music that we hear on tv and the radio is crap because the really innovative stuff is way off in left field where it can languish in "you aint making me big bucks on a sure hit"-land...have to go searching for it, but its there.
2. But...but...but...cellphones!
3. Lawn is too much work...i have rocks and a tree.

W2NAP
11-18-2011, 05:15 AM
1. Well, the majority of music that we hear on tv and the radio is crap because the really innovative stuff is way off in left field where it can languish in "you aint making me big bucks on a sure hit"-land...have to go searching for it, but its there.
2. But...but...but...cellphones!
3. Lawn is too much work...i have rocks and a tree.

10 years ago I always had a radio on the rock stations ether Q95 or X103 today I havent had a FM radio on in about 3 years. if i wanted to listen to crap, and have commercials shoved down my neck every 3 minutes id watch tv. I rarely listen to any music anymore..

cellphones the new DUI, i kinda wish honestly someone would drop a SS jammer off at every cell phone tower in the country just to annoy everyone.

to many trees here... to much grass as well.. id rather just have dirt

KC2UGV
11-18-2011, 08:31 AM
1. 99.9% of music today is crap (and im 29)
2. Kids these days wouldnt know a damn tube if it bit them on the bum
3. Damn kids need to stay off my lawn.

Kids know what a tube is... They use a series of them every day :)