PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watching Vietnam in HD on the History channel?

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Especially Vietnam veterans. Real? BS? Or what?

Looks very, very good from where I sit.

kc7jty
11-09-2011, 04:12 AM
I was hoping McCain would have won potus, then we could have gone back in and got the god damned job done.

w0aew
11-09-2011, 06:11 AM
I was hoping McCain would have won potus, then we could have gone back in and got the god damned job done.

Did we ever figure out exactly what that job was?

Or why?

W1GUH
11-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Now we need a reason for mass murder?

W5GA
11-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Did we ever figure out exactly what that job was?

Or why?
Red skeer, nothing more.

WØTKX
11-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I can't watch it. I'd have flashbacks, and wake up on the road to Winnipeg.

kb2vxa
11-09-2011, 07:44 PM
How can something be shown in HD when it was never filmed in HD to begin with? Oh, maybe if HD stands for Hellish Death. Mah fellow Amercuns, ah come to you taniaht with ah hevah heart and the latest body count.

WØTKX
11-09-2011, 08:04 PM
It's "Vietnam in HD" not Vietnam in HD. Capiche? :dunno:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/11/08/history-channel-special-vietnam-in-hd-shows-war-in-excruciating-detail/

BTW, I will trust FOX News regarding this type of news. :omg:

I guess. ;)

Following the success of its Emmy-winning series, “WWII in HD,” the History Channel’s new documentary focuses on one of the most controversial chapters in U.S. history: the conflict in Vietnam.

Culling thousands of hours of uncensored footage from war correspondents and never-before seen film shot by soldiers on the front lines, “Vietnam in HD” follows firsthand accounts of veterans who served during the conflict in Vietnam.

The footage has been converted into state-of-the art HD, so at times it feels as if one is watching a movie shot in 2011. But the footage is all too real. In often emotional testimony, men and women who served their country during the conflict remember some of Vietnam’s most infamous battles.

W3MIV
11-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I can't watch it. I'd have flashbacks, and wake up on the road to Winnipeg.

It is another glorification of war as imperial policy, not as defense of a threatened nation. A vicarious thrill for them who have no experience with either military idiocy or imperial policy at first hand. I'll pass.

kf0rt
11-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Haven't seen any of it so far, but I'd be interested in how well the film -> HD conversion turned out.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 08:26 AM
How can something be shown in HD when it was never filmed in HD to begin with? Oh, maybe if HD stands for Hellish Death. Mah fellow Amercuns, ah come to you taniaht with ah hevah heart and the latest body count.

Because film was much more "HD" than regular TV, so "In HD" it's like watching the projected film on a big screen.

kf0rt
11-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Today's broadcast HD is scarcely 2 megapixels. Most film is capable of more than that (even in 1969).

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
It is another glorification of war as imperial policy, not as defense of a threatened nation. A vicarious thrill for them who have no experience with either military idiocy or imperial policy at first hand. I'll pass.

Understand that 100%. But where you talk about "glorification" and "vicarious thrill" (I'm sure both are very valid from one point of view), I would talk "This is history...this really happened." Since that was such a massively complex era of history, IMHO, any look at it from a new direction adds to the body of knowledge, opinion, folklore about that era and perhaps the day will come (but I'm not holding my breath) when somehow some sense is made of it. Not just the war, but all that was happening then. And where it has led.

kc7jty
11-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Dow lets you do great things.

NQ6U
11-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Dow lets you do great things.

So does Sandoz. Better living through chemistry.

kb2vxa
11-11-2011, 11:10 PM
That was DuPont's slogan.

NQ6U
11-12-2011, 01:06 AM
That was DuPont's slogan.

I know, but Sandoz developed a little thing called lysergic acid diethylamide so I think it fits them much better.

suddenseer
11-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I know, but Sandoz developed a little thing called lysergic acid diethylamide so I think it fits them much better.It is no little thing. It has provided me with hours of cheap entertainment.

kc7jty
11-13-2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/images/lsd_01.jpg

kb2vxa
11-13-2011, 06:07 PM
You can build a lot of things in an Altoids tin but you may consider relabeling it afterward.

W1GUH
11-14-2011, 11:00 AM
It is no little thing. It has provided me with hours of cheap entertainment.

It could be argued that it offered hours of "definitely NOT cheap" entertainment to many who weren't fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to experience it first hand. I'm speaking of that wonderfully creative period of rock that was co-incident with acid. The list of bands and music that were apparently influenced is "long as your arm", and contained, IMHO, some of the greatest moments in music and poetry.