PDA

View Full Version : About medical care greed....

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 10:20 PM
FWIW, and in my personal case it's worth a LOT....

Just got the statement from my medical insurance company (Cigna - Open Access Plan) where it detailed what was billed, what the Dr's office negotiated with Cigna, what was covered, and what was not, and I was very, very pleased with what it said. There were no surprises, and, it could be that all I have to pay are the co-pays I already paid. And, even if that's not true, what I owe is < $100. That's for an office visit, exam, the endoscopy, and the anesthetist.

What I'm saying is that there is no evidence of any greed on the part of the Dr's office, nor is there any bureaucratic fumbling or meddling on the part of Cigna.

Now that I'm completely involved in health care up to my neck, it's really nice to see this. And, obviously a relief.

Just sayin'...it's not all that bad at all.

WØTKX
11-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Glad it worked out for you so far. Cancer Sucks.

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Sure does. But it really helps, big time, when the caring by medical professionals is real. That's what I've seen so far, and what I've been assured I'll find at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

NA4BH
11-08-2011, 11:20 PM
You are in the process of meeting some of the very best friends you ever had. I have NEVER seen an Oncology group not care, truly and personally, for each of their patients. The departments are seemingly from another time period, back when people actually cared for one another. I hope you enjoy your new family, Christmas is just around the corner and they are your biggest present. Best to you.

kc7jty
11-09-2011, 01:00 AM
You can be billed years after a service.

W1GUH
11-09-2011, 08:01 AM
You are in the process of meeting some of the very best friends you ever had. I have NEVER seen an Oncology group not care, truly and personally, for each of their patients. The departments are seemingly from another time period, back when people actually cared for one another. I hope you enjoy your new family, Christmas is just around the corner and they are your biggest present. Best to you.

Very good to know. Thanks!

W1GUH
11-09-2011, 08:01 AM
You can be billed years after a service.

Yea, the proverbial other shoe dropping.

KC2UGV
11-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I am glad things are thus far working out. Here's to more good fortune soon :)

W1GUH
11-09-2011, 09:48 AM
I am glad things are thus far working out. Here's to more good fortune soon :)

Thanks, Corey

ki4itv
11-09-2011, 09:49 AM
FWIW, and in my personal case it's worth a LOT....

Just got the statement from my medical insurance company (Cigna - Open Access Plan) where it detailed what was billed, what the Dr's office negotiated with Cigna, what was covered, and what was not, and I was very, very pleased with what it said. There were no surprises, and, it could be that all I have to pay are the co-pays I already paid. And, even if that's not true, what I owe is < $100. That's for an office visit, exam, the endoscopy, and the anesthetist.

What I'm saying is that there is no evidence of any greed on the part of the Dr's office, nor is there any bureaucratic fumbling or meddling on the part of Cigna.

Now that I'm completely involved in health care up to my neck, it's really nice to see this. And, obviously a relief.

Just sayin'...it's not all that bad at all.

I'm stilled disturbed by the fact that there is obviously ample room for price negotiation in the cost of medical care. There is something inherently wrong with the idea that people pay different prices for identical care and that the greater financial burden is placed on those who can afford it the least, only because they couldn't afford to hire a profit center to fight over every penny billed.

Savings? Hardly. The prices for care are artificially inflated with the expectation that the actual collected payment will only be a percentage of what was originally billed. A shell game that disproportionately effects the poor and lower middle classes.

K7SGJ
11-09-2011, 02:54 PM

This is a true statement. When we went down this road, we found the oncology Dr's, Nurses, and support staff went way above and beyond anything we had ever seen. Even to this day, I've never been around any medical professionals that were more caring and more willing to give of themselves. They will spoil you. All the best.

W1GUH
11-09-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm stilled disturbed by the fact that there is obviously ample room for price negotiation in the cost of medical care. There is something inherently wrong with the idea that people pay different prices for identical care and that the greater financial burden is placed on those who can afford it the least, only because they couldn't afford to hire a profit center to fight over every penny billed.

Savings? Hardly. The prices for care are artificially inflated with the expectation that the actual collected payment will only be a percentage of what was originally billed. A shell game that disproportionately effects the poor and lower middle classes.

Thanks for that. I hear every word and really agree, and obviously I'm very lucky to have good private coverage. IMHO, the way health care is provided to those less fortunate is outright inhumane and immoral. For the millions who have lost their jobs, the company should cover those who lost their jobs for at least a year or two, not this immoral "tough shit, bub, you don't work here no mo, so your life is expendable."