PDA

View Full Version : To shave, or not to shave...

W3MIV
11-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Didja ever wonder why there are so many razors on the market? I mean, how much difference could there really be in shaving hair? Sit a while, and I shall tell you the differences.

I first shaved back in the 1950s, in the age of Gillette Blue Blades and “safety” razors from which you unscrewed the handle to separate the two-part head to change the blade. Shaving was a savage practice, at best – a bloody, sunrise ritual for most of us. It is well that Nature reserves the beard for manhood, since it took a man to face those thin sheets of blued steel. Two edges, one shave. The first use was rugged enough, but to try to get a second shave out of a Blue Blade was asking for disaster. Mayhem. Men with cheeks adorned with myriad bits of toilet tissue were an unremarkable sight in those days.

I well remember the flash of admiration I felt when, rummaging in our old medicine cabinet on Lyndhurst Street, I chanced to notice the stub of an ancient Blue Blade peeking out of the slot in its back. In those prehistoric times, medicine cabinets routinely included a slot in the back into which one fed the used razor blades, which fell into the dead space between the wall studs back of the cabinet. The sudden realization that the Old Man had filled that slot to capacity in the fifteen years he had lived in that house was sobering. What a blood trial those fifteen years must have been! Even with his leather cheeks and bull neck. He met his Maker clean shaven, and with a long list of Purgatory credits gained at that old porcelain sink every morning.

When I first came back from Germany forty-four years ago, I brought a wonderful straight razor with me. The ritual of shaving with it was a long and tedious chore that was, somehow, made into a delightful way to spend an hour each morning. Stropping the blade. Whipping up the lather from the shaving mug. Wetting the face with hot water and brushing on a thick layer of creamy lather. Then came the actual shaving, which was best done with great care, and never without a few nicks here and there, especially around the chin – a tough area fraught with dangerous curves. A pre-moistened styptic pencil was a must.

Alas, that ended when I bobbled the razor one morning picking it up from the sink to shave. It dropped to the tile floor, and it shattered into three pieces. Couldn’t afford to replace it at that time, so I grew a beard. Kept the beard for several years, but as my career changed over time, it became a hindrance in some professional circles. Off came the beard, but the moustache I retained for some time longer. Along the way, I discovered those marvelous BIC disposable razors and relied on them for several years, but the freight of shaving soap and mug and a handful of razors was a drag as I traveled more and more. Tried using canned shaving lather, but the pressurized cans don’t always travel well in checked baggage – a hard lesson to learn the hard way. Finally opted for shaving cream in a tube.

Then I discovered the minimal virtues of the electric razor. I essayed a crop of them before settling on a Norelco with the three round shaving heads. It was compact, and it had a small wall wart that recharged it or acted as power during charging. It was great, despite the occasional painful pinch, but it did not give a close shave. Convenience was now to be measured in shirt collars. After a few years, I tried a Braun unit that had a complicated “station” to clean and charge the machinery between shaves. It was far less portable, but I was travelling less and the charge lasted for more than a week of shaves. It was also more expensive, since I had to replenish regularly the siliconized alcohol cleaner it used to refurbish the blades. It cost more, but it shaved a tad closer than the Norelco. Collars lasted a bit longer, too.

Retirement brought a vast change to most routines, but not to that of shaving. True, one could opt out for a day or two before the pain of spousal pressure pushed one back to the sink, but that is a temporary respite at best. And a brief one, too. The real difference that retirement made was in the time that one could devote to any particular routine. The choice was now entirely mine; there was no grand societal requirement to present myself before the taps at precisely 0600 every morning. I was free to set my schedule. Free to choose my weapons. Free to joust with my follicles at my leisure. Heady stuff, this.

I had recently chanced upon my old shaving brush, resting unnoticed for the past couple of decades in back of a bathroom cabinet. The prime silver badger was still in perfect condition, but the ivory plastic handle had a nasty split. Replacing a first-class shaving brush in today’s market would cost a C-note or more, for even the lowest grades of gray badger run at $30 and up. Hog bristle, bleached and dyed to look like silver badger, is cheap, but hog bristles are shorter and stiffer than badger. They will not lather so well, nor will they last so long. The only choice was to repair the old brush or spring for a new one. JB Weld to the rescue.

I carefully cut out the margins of the split, using a carbide bit in a Dremel tool to assure that no soap scum or other contaminants would interfere with the bond of the epoxy. The dull gray scar on the yellowing ivory adds an ugly kind of beauty, sort of like one of those dueling scars that were marks of distinction in a long-gone age. Fitting. A tool of the past should bear a visual link with the past.

The restoration of the brush impelled a Rube Goldberg-like process. I found myself being fed along a complex track, one metaphorical collision after another, leading inexorably away from the habits ingrained over the past decades. In another dusty corner, I discovered a shoe box of old shaving stuff that some unremembered sense of frugality had caused me to set aside years ago. It had traveled from house to house, ending up in the back of a bathroom cabinet when I moved here twenty-five years ago. In it were a brace of old bottles of Old Spice, both cologne and aftershave, and a Gillette “Speed” safety razor that had lain untouched for at least thirty-five years. It was a “clam-shell” style, with a twist-knob at the base of the handle to open the top. Unsurprisingly, there was also a packet of stainless blades, two or three of which remained unused inside, an old shaving mug with no soap, and some other odds and ends. Never one to let wisdom intrude on a decision, I opted to give the old Gillette a try.

Soap was the problem of the moment. On many occasions in the past, I had cupped a bar of Ivory in my palm and rubbed up a workable lather with the brush. It was, however, far from ideal; too little fat or something, for the lather is really too thin to work well. Somewhere in the back of my brain a dim warning bell chimed. Not having scraped a sharp blade across these cheeks in decades mandated a measure of caution. I cast about for a solution. I finally settled on a bar of my wife’s bath soap, one of those body lotion-laden brands that boast the ability to soften oyster shells if used daily. I was too tightly gripped by nostalgia, and plunged ahead heedless of all. Though somewhat thicker than Ivory, the lather will still a bit too penurious to satisfy, yet I could not stop myself. Fortunately, I still had the styptic pencil – those things last forever it would seem – so I was able to staunch the loss of blood safely.

The shave was anything but comfortable. In fact, it was brutal, savage. But it was far closer than any electric had yet managed. The splash of the ancient Old Spice was bracing (to say the least), but despite the obvious torture, I was hooked. I felt different. I felt refreshed. The end effect was as different as the process; I had never experienced the satisfaction I now felt when I had used the electric razor. It was art, craftsmanship, a deeply personal interaction with me that separated the ritual from the mere machine. Shaving is more than just the removal of hair from the face. It is an existential statement. A manifesto of being.

And thus began a quest for new tools.

W3MIV
11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
One speaks glibly of “sticker shock” when on the topic of automobiles or snow blowers or trilby hats, but that of razors puts that shock on a whole new level of magnitude. I felt like a Woody Allen character awakening after a millennium’s nap. The “razors and shaving” gondola at the local Rite Aid was a sharp slap to an already minced cheek. The technology of the razor has attained incredible complexity. Blades have become “cartridges,” and now contain up to six individual blades in a single interchangeable head. What to choose? How to decide?

The prices ranged from the ridiculous to fantastic. Ten dollars would buy a razor handle for most of the boutique models, but the blade cartridges were laughable. It is the old “ink-jet” game revisited in tonsorial expendables. Catch the sucker with a cheap handle, accoutered with pliant grips, ergonomic shapes and bejeweled with bright splashes of color. Then skewer them as they sacrifice dermis on an altar of economy. Rogues one and all, whether foreign or domestic, Gillette, Shick or BIC. With today’s environmental protocols and priorities, the disposable razors smell somewhat of irresponsibility. Yet, the beard grows though the income may not. Decisions, decisions.

I liked the look of Gillette’s “Fusion,” with its clever little trimmer blade tucked furtively in its edge. Yet, four dollars per cartridge – a sale price bruited in an obnoxiously yellow counter tag – seemed too extravagant. Skin, after all, grows anew under all but the most savage attack while the pocketbook is replenished far more sparely. It was then that my eyes stumbled across an unheralded brand: M5 Magnum. The current sale price, declaimed by a similarly jaundiced banner, was only six bucks and it included two blade cartridges. Better yet, replacement cartridges – each boasting the five scimitars capped with clever trimmer, and alleged to inter-swap with Fusion sets – were on sale for seven dollars the pack of four. In a trice, the deal was done. I was now the owner of an M5 Magnum razor, replete with a plastic travel case in which cartridge carriers could be inserted.

I am loathe to gush, but I cannot still the urge to sing. My first shave with this orange and black Excalibur in polymer and maybemetal was a thrill to be shared. I wiped it this way and that, upwards and downwards, crossways and awry. Hither, thither and yon, with careless abandon, I charged round the curves of an aged chin, swooping impulsively down the hollows of my wattle and careering back up my throat like a falcon with a prize. I wielded the edge as a hockey stick. At the finish, the washcloth betrayed no ruddy traces of blood. No nicks. No scrapes. No errors. Smooth as the proverbial baby’s butt. Even the splash of Old Spice brought forth a smile instead of a wince. Oh, lotion! Where is thy sting?

The irony is that I no longer wear tight collars and ties.

kc7jty
11-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I shaved last at about 10 years past and remove the crop with battery operated clippers every 2 months or so. The same interval as my hair cuts which I absolutely refuse to spend more than $10 on.

suddenseer
11-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Shaving my face is not allowed in my religious practice. My legs look good however.

W3MIV
11-06-2011, 03:22 PM
This thread is a memorial to the late Mr Rooney.

suddenseer
11-06-2011, 04:28 PM
One of my favorite atheists.

NQ6U
11-06-2011, 04:45 PM
A good trick for getting a close shave with any blade: hair conditioner. No need to spring for the expensive stuff, buy a bottle of the cheap store brand and apply it before shaving. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, then apply whatever shaving soap you prefer. You'll get the smoothest, closest shave you've had since the last time you had a barber apply his straight razor to your chin.

BTW, pro-quality shaving gear and consumables are available at any real beauty supply store. I buy my shaving soap there—since my XYL is a licensed cosmetologist, I let her pick it up and get a 40% discount.

suddenseer
11-06-2011, 05:25 PM
When I do shave my face, I use my grandma's lye soap. It makes those whiskers stand at attention. I just opened my last cake of her precious lye soap. I use it to shower, and clean my hands. My mom, and I have made a pact to make a big batch of her soap, as we have her kettle, and recipe.

WØTKX
11-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Try Astro Glide? Just sayin'. :mrgreen:

N7YA
11-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Shaving my face is not allowed in my religious practice. My legs look good however.

:lol:

n2ize
11-06-2011, 07:17 PM
My Dad swears by electric razors. I can't stand them. I shave the way my grandfather shaved. I use the old fashioned "wet shave". First and foremost I don't use shaving cream. I use shaving soap. I have an vintage badger brush with a celluloid handle. I use a shaving mug and either "Williams Mug" shaving soap or "Colgate" shaving soap. Yes, shaving soap is still readily available today and far superior to shaving cream and far more economical. On average a bar of shaving soap lasts me over 6 months. Nothing like a hot towel over my face and then whipping up a nice lather from the soap and then properly dabbing it over the face via the brush in preparation for the shave. Now I have a confession to make. Of late I have been using a modern Gillette "Fusion" razor. But only because I have been too lazy to learn to properly sharpen and strop the straight razor. I am also looking for an old fashioned double edge blade handle so I can use the good ol "Blue Blades" or their modern equivalent.

K7SGJ
11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Albi, as I read you piece, it was narrated in my head by the guy that did "A Christmas Story". (You'll put your eye out, or in this case your chin) Thanks for the read, I did enjoy it.

As far as shaving goes, it's just a quick touch up with the electric for me. I've had a full beard since I got out of the Army, close to 40 years now. My wife and kids have never seen me clean shaven, and barring a medical necessity, or being drafted again, they never shall.

ETA I also remember those double edged blue blades. Pure punishment. I think they were developed by a woman in retaliation to the guy who invented the bra.

W5GA
11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Albi, get one of these, your cartridge bill will be cut by 3/4.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Personal___Shaving_Supplies___Disposable_Razor_Sha rpener___36731#36731

W5GA
11-06-2011, 11:17 PM
John, for you

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Personal___Shaving_Supplies___Traditional_Safety_R azor___30601?Args=

KC9ECI
11-06-2011, 11:35 PM
John, for you

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Personal___Shaving_Supplies___Traditional_Safety_R azor___30601?Args=

I tried one of those once...nearly lost all my blood. In all fairness my blood at the time was mostly rum...

W3WN
11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
A great yarn Albie, as was the follow-up.

The last time I shaved my entire face was the afternoon of 29 February 1979. Why do I remember that date? It was the day (well, evening actually, I was supposed to work 4 PM to close) that the new full-owner of Burger King #606 fired me. (One partner bought out the others who co-owned stores with him, one by one). Turned out to be nothing personal, he proceeded over the next week to fire the other assistant manager & head manager, and brought in his own people.

I've had a beard or goatee in some form or another ever since. To my mother's ever discomfort, but I think I look better with it, and I'm the one who sees this face in the mirror every day.

FWIW, these days, I shave the sides daily with a Fusion. About once a week or so, I use a Braun cordless to trim the goatee & mustache and keep them looking neat. Preferred the full beard, but the realilty is that once the sides went from brown to white, you couldn't really tell if it was there or not, so why bother?

n2ize
11-08-2011, 06:52 AM
A great yarn Albie, as was the follow-up.

The last time I shaved my entire face was the afternoon of 29 February 1979. Why do I remember that date? It was the day (well, evening actually, I was supposed to work 4 PM to close) that the new full-owner of Burger King #606 fired me. (One partner bought out the others who co-owned stores with him, one by one). Turned out to be nothing personal, he proceeded over the next week to fire the other assistant manager & head manager, and brought in his own people.

I've had a beard or goatee in some form or another ever since. To my mother's ever discomfort, but I think I look better with it, and I'm the one who sees this face in the mirror every day.

FWIW, these days, I shave the sides daily with a Fusion. About once a week or so, I use a Braun cordless to trim the goatee & mustache and keep them looking neat. Preferred the full beard, but the realilty is that once the sides went from brown to white, you couldn't really tell if it was there or not, so why bother?

Isn't the Fusion great ?? Blades are expensive but they generally last me a very long time. I would still like to get back to the straight blade but I need the stone and the strap.

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Isn't the Fusion great ?? Blades are expensive but they generally last me a very long time. I would still like to get back to the straight blade but I need the stone and the strap.

And a LOT of practice? Sometimes I'm tempted to get a pro shave at a barber. Maybe someday I'll do that. What's that like?

But....ahem...on the subject of shaving....I'd rather be thinking of another gender shaving a different part of the anatomy. I've got do deal with male face-shaving regularly; one of those necessary evils to get over with as quickly as possible and then not think about til the next time.

OTOH...it's true that nobody notices anymore when one has a few days' growth. Hell, it's such an "in" look and goes either unnoticed or actually LIKED! Saves on the razor bills.

n2ize
11-08-2011, 08:36 AM
And a LOT of practice? Sometimes I'm tempted to get a pro shave at a barber. Maybe someday I'll do that. What's that like?

In the old days the barbershop is where many men went to get a shave. From what I have been told many of them used to give a really good, quality clean shave. Sadly in today;s fast paces world getting a shave at the barber faded away. Nonetheless, next time you pass by a barbershop stop in and give it a try. You might be very glad you did.

W3MIV
11-08-2011, 09:09 AM
There are damned few barbers who will do shaves anymore. I know of none where I am. Takes too long.

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 09:17 AM
For a while, it was trendy, don't know if it still is. Of course, trendy = expensive!

K7SGJ
11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
When I was 17 or so, my grandfather took me to his Barber. The guy was an Italian, and older than dirt. I climbed into the chair and he proceeded to cut my hair. He did a nice job. Then Grandpa said shave him. He wrapped this thick hot towel around my face and let it set for a while. During this time, I could hear him banging his brush around the soap mug. He pulled off the towel, lathered up my beard, such as it was at 17, and pulled out the straight razor. A few quick strops, and off he went. Afterward, a quick splash of Bay Rum, and I was done. I have never had a shave as close or a smooth as that one. The guy was an artist. If I ever decide to shave off my beard, I will treat myself to a professional shave by a old master, if I can find one.

W3MIV
11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
For a while, it was trendy, don't know if it still is. Of course, trendy = expensive!

You may still find shops in major metropolitan business centers (i.e. Manhattan, Boston, San Fran, Chicago, etc) and in some expensive hotels where a shave is still on offer, but it will be expensive. Very expensive. And it will take more a half-hour if done properly. Try the Capitol Barbershop in DC -- if you can get in, of course.

KC2UGV
11-08-2011, 09:32 AM
There are damned few barbers who will do shaves anymore. I know of none where I am. Takes too long.

I have one right across the street, and up until a couple of years ago, I would go there twice weekly to get a shave and a cut. Price was right ($7), and he insisted on giving me a "Military Discount" (I told him I wasn't in anymore), so I added another $4 as a tip.

I stopped going there because he is hitting 75 now, and his hands shake like crazy. I grinned and bore it, until it got frightening.

I still go for the hair cut, because you can not screw up a bald shave. I razor it when I get home myself, though.

Sad. I really enjoyed going there, from the age of 3. I swept up the shop on weekends for a dollar, and was bringing my kids there too. He lost his only son in Vietnam, and up to that, he was expecting his son to take over the shop :(

W3MIV
11-08-2011, 09:38 AM
And, John, you never, ever take a stone to a straight razor. You use the canvas strop charged with an abrasive if you must correct the edge, then strop with leather. If more than that is needed, the razor should be sent to a professional. Disaster looms with the least irregularity. Cutting oneself with a straight razor is bigger than a wince and a flag of toilet tissue.

Most straight razors in use commercially today are replaceable blade models. My own barber is one of the few who still has a lather generator next to his chair, and he still insists on shaving around my ears and down the back of my neck. He owns a wonderful collection of fine German and Swedish razors, but uses the throw-away blade type for work.

The other six barbers in Sal's shop do not go past the finest clipper head.

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Just remembered something. Probably a bunch of us have been shaved with a straight razor. I remember when the barber (any barber) would finish the hair cut, he'd shave the back of my neck with a straight razor. Used to be a standard part of a haircut. That includes W8BQG (Bald Queer Guy). GREAT ham, great person, lousy "ham hair cuts." But who cared - he was a delight to know.

'MIV:

Try the Capitol Barbershop in DC -- if you can get in, of course.

I was just down in DC last Friday - a trek to see the Air and Space Museum - and that's one city where one visit is all I need for at least 10-20 years. Guess it'd be kind of posh to get a shave there, provided, as you say "I could get inl." But I'd probably find the clientele just a tad distasteful!

Nope, no more "Shave and a haircut, two bits!"

(Except when closing a CW contact!)

Dit DiDi Dit Dit (response) Dit Dit

[edit]

Beat me to it, Albi...

My own barber is one of the few who still has a lather generator next to his chair, and he still insists on shaving around my ears and down the back of my neck.

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 10:45 AM
I have one right across the street, and up until a couple of years ago, I would go there twice weekly to get a shave and a cut. Price was right ($7), and he insisted on giving me a "Military Discount" (I told him I wasn't in anymore), so I added another $4 as a tip.

I stopped going there because he is hitting 75 now, and his hands shake like crazy. I grinned and bore it, until it got frightening.

I still go for the hair cut, because you can not screw up a bald shave. I razor it when I get home myself, though.

Sad. I really enjoyed going there, from the age of 3. I swept up the shop on weekends for a dollar, and was bringing my kids there too. He lost his only son in Vietnam, and up to that, he was expecting his son to take over the shop :(

"I still go for the hair cut, because you can not screw up a bald shave. I razor it when I get home myself, though."

How DO you shave the top of your head? I have a hard enough time with my face and I can see that fully in the mirror.

Thought a lot of guys used Nair, or somthing like that.

Also, who uses Witch Hazel as an aftershave lotion? Had a barber in Boston who did that and I got hooked. LOVE it as an after shave.

KC2UGV
11-08-2011, 10:51 AM
"I still go for the hair cut, because you can not screw up a bald shave. I razor it when I get home myself, though."

How DO you shave the top of your head? I have a hard enough time with my face and I can see that fully in the mirror.

Thought a lot of guys used Nair, or somthing like that.

Also, who uses Witch Hazel as an aftershave lotion? Had a barber in Boston who did that and I got hooked. LOVE it as an after shave.

I use one of these now:
http://www.headblade.com/

I (http://www.headblade.com/) used to use a regular safety razor, but was constantly nicking my scalp, where I'd leave a very hot towel on my head until it cool to quench the bleeding (Head wounds bleed profusely).

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 10:58 AM
I use one of these now:
http://www.headblade.com/

I (http://www.headblade.com/) used to use a regular safety razor, but was constantly nicking my scalp, where I'd leave a very hot towel on my head until it cool to quench the bleeding (Head wounds bleed profusely).

Thanks! Might need one of those myself. I KNOW I'd have nicks all over my scalp if I tried a regular razor.

n2ize
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
And, John, you never, ever take a stone to a straight razor. You use the canvas strop charged with an abrasive if you must correct the edge, then strop with leather. If more than that is needed, the razor should be sent to a professional. Disaster looms with the least irregularity. Cutting oneself with a straight razor is bigger than a wince and a flag of toilet tissue.

Most straight razors in use commercially today are replaceable blade models. My own barber is one of the few who still has a lather generator next to his chair, and he still insists on shaving around my ears and down the back of my neck. He owns a wonderful collection of fine German and Swedish razors, but uses the throw-away blade type for work.

The other six barbers in Sal's shop do not go past the finest clipper head.

Thanks for the advice. I learned something new. Yes, I would need to learn to properly use the canvas and leather to properly strop the blade.I guess it would pay to spend the extra money and buy a very good quality blade and plan to have it professionally sharpened from time to time.

W3MIV
11-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the advice. I learned something new. Yes, I would need to learn to properly use the canvas and leather to properly strop the blade.I guess it would pay to spend the extra money and buy a very good quality blade and plan to have it professionally sharpened from time to time.

Here's just one place to start. You might want to order Lynn Abrams's CD.

Look here (http://www.royalshave.com/).

n2ize
11-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Here's just one place to start. You might want to order Lynn Abrams's CD.

Look here (http://www.royalshave.com/).

Thanks. Looks like they have some nice stuff. I just ordered a safety razor from them. Eventually I hope to be ordering a straight edge blade.

n2ize
11-08-2011, 01:13 PM
And, for a bit of shaving nostalgia... How are ya fixed for blades ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyAFQTkDj0

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I'll have to wait til later to see/hear that one, but is it "Look Sharp/Be Sharp March" by Mahlon Merrick? Man, that song MEANT great sports on TV! I really miss it.

Accoriding to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_Cavalcade_of_Sports#Theme_music), there's a YouTube of it.

Then there was the Gilette commercial that didn't play very long...maybe becuause it was kinda wierd?

It was an ad for their "4 grades of safety razor." Before they were adjustable, Gilette sold 4 (or maybe 3) razors for different kinds of beards. The jingle was sung by a guy with 4 (or 3) heads in 4 (or 3) part harmony. It was catchy, but kinda wierd to watch! I'll hafta look on YouTube for that one, too.

K7SGJ
11-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I'll have to wait til later to see/hear that one, but is it "Look Sharp/Be Sharp March" by Mahlon Merrick? Man, that song MEANT great sports on TV! I really miss it.

Accoriding to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillette_Cavalcade_of_Sports#Theme_music), there's a YouTube of it.

Then there was the Gillette commercial that didn't play very long...maybe because it was kinda weird?

It was an ad for their "4 grades of safety razor." Before they were adjustable, Gillette sold 4 (or maybe 3) razors for different kinds of beards. The jingle was sung by a guy with 4 (or 3) heads in 4 (or 3) part harmony. It was catchy, but kinda weird to watch! I'll haft look on You Tube for that one, too.

Yeah, the Gillette look sharp, feel sharp, be sharp jingle always meant that boxing was on. Grandma loved it and rarely missed a bout. Die hard Yankee fan, too.

W3WN
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Shaving Cream
Be Nice & Clean
Shave Everyday
And You'll Always Look Keen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyNca5ZEuEQ

kf0rt
11-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Shaving Cream
Be Nice & Clean
Shave Everyday

Burma Shave

K7SGJ
11-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Of all the drunks
that drove on Sunday
some were still
alive on Monday
Burma Shave

or something to that effect. That's the only one I can remember. I'd much rather see those come back instead of all the billboard BS advertising that keeps getting worse and worse. Can't hardly see the countryside in town anymore.

W3MIV
11-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Can't hardly see the countryside in town anymore.

That's probably because it's in town, which ain't countryside, capisce?

K7SGJ
11-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Townside. I stand erected.

W3MIV
11-08-2011, 04:58 PM
[Wish I could stand erected... sigh]

n2ize
11-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Shaving Cream
Be Nice & Clean
Shave Everyday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyNca5ZEuEQ

What a load of shhhhhaving cream !!

n2ize
11-08-2011, 05:16 PM

When I was in grammar school I was in the school orchestra (I could play a wicked violin) and I was in the choir. Why they put me in the choir I'll never know, when I sing the moose tend to migrate down from Canada. In any event when we were practicing choir for the Christmas Holiday concert we were standing in a row singing and the choir teacher she walked up to me and said, ... "stand erect young man !!". Well, wish I could oblige ya Maam...

WØTKX
11-08-2011, 07:28 PM
http://wtfcontent.com/img/130210329902.png

W3MIV
11-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Oooh, David, I looovvve your Maynard.

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 10:06 PM
When I was in grammar school I was in the school orchestra (I could play a wicked violin) and I was in the choir. Why they put me in the choir I'll never know, when I sing the moose tend to migrate down from Canada. In any event when we were practicing choir for the Christmas Holiday concert we were standing in a row singing and the choir teacher she walked up to me and said, ... "stand erect young man !!". Well, wish I could oblige ya Maam...

"...I was in the school orchestra..."

Did they teach you that the violin is tuned G-D-A-E, and to help you remember that, did they teach you "Go Down And Eat"?

They did in my grade school. Imagine hearing 4th and 5th graders reciting "Go down and eat!"

NA4BH
11-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Did they teach you that the violin is tuned G-D-A-E, and to help you remember that, did they teach you "Go Down And Eat"?

They did in my grade school. Imagine hearing 4th and 5th graders reciting "Go down and eat!"

Plenty to eat at the "Y".

W1GUH
11-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Pity we were too young to have a clue. But the teachers?

n2ize
11-09-2011, 04:17 AM
That's probably because it's in town, which ain't countryside, capisce?

Oh an back to shaving for a minute. My bathroom cabinet has one of those razor slots for disposing of the old safety blades. So I can start filling the wall behind the cabinet with old blades.

K7SGJ
11-09-2011, 02:30 PM
You'll cuss yourself the day you have to take the medicine cabinet down and you cut your fingers, veins, and arteries all to hell. Don't ask how I would know that.

kf0rt
11-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Never could understand why they call 'em "safety" blades.

W3MIV
11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Never could understand why they call 'em "safety" blades.

Try a straight razor and you could find that answer very quickly -- just before you pass out from loss of blood.

kf0rt
11-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Try a straight razor and you could find that answer very quickly -- just before you pass out from loss of blood.

Ah... Guess I was looking at it from the other end of the millennium. :lol:

n2ize
11-09-2011, 06:30 PM

No, we just learned to tune the strings GDAE

ki4itv
11-09-2011, 06:41 PM
A SHAVE

THAT'S REAL

NO CUTS TO HEAL

A SOOTHING

VELVET AFTER-FEEL

n2ize
11-09-2011, 06:45 PM
John, for you

yeah, I ordered myself one yesterday. Should get it in a week or so,

W3MIV
11-09-2011, 06:48 PM
The prime problem that plagues the "safety razor" is the crucial importance of a consistent angle of blade to the skin. This is not easy to maintain, especially as one begins navigating around all the curves and corners of a face. That is the supreme advantage offered by the new style razor cartridges, such as the Fusion and the Mach3. The blade edges are fixed firmly in the cartridge, and so long as it is kept flat against the skin, the angle is maintained at optimum. One can vary the angle of the handle to suit the needs of reaching various parts of the face and neck without risking a disastrous change in the angle of the blade edge against the skin.

The other issue with the "safety razor" is the blades themselves. They are somewhat thicker than the new strips that form the edges in the cartridges, and the metallurgy in use today is vastly superior to that of the Blue Blade, which is what I first learned to shave with. Carbon steel and subject to rapid deterioration of the edge from both abrasion and corrosion. Micro-nicks quickly render the edge into a kind of saw blade. Even the newer stainless steels that replaced the Blue Blades break down very rapidly in comparison with what we now take for granted.

When Gillette invented the Blue Blade, it set a standard that everyone around the world instantly began to copy. The size and punch pattern became an international standard for razor blades. Gillette learned that lesson the hard way, and they now interchange with no other razors -- you can buy handles from lots of vendors, but the blade cartridges only from Gillette. Indeed, you cannot fit a Fusion cartridge on a Mach3 razor. It is a bigger ripoff than ink cartridges for printers.

n2ize
11-09-2011, 06:56 PM
The prime problem that plagues the "safety razor" is the crucial importance of a consistent angle of blade to the skin. This is not easy to maintain, especially as one begins navigating around all the curves and corners of a face. That is the supreme advantage offered by the new style razor cartridges, such as the Fusion and the Mach3. The blade edges are fixed firmly in the cartridge, and so long as it is kept flat against the skin, the angle is maintained at optimum. One can vary the angle of the handle to suit the needs of reaching various parts of the face and neck without risking a disastrous change in the angle of the blade edge against the skin.

The other issue with the "safety razor" is the blades themselves. They are somewhat thicker than the new strips that form the edges in the cartridges, and the metallurgy in use today is vastly superior to that of the Blue Blade, which is what I first learned to shave with. Carbon steel and subject to rapid deterioration of the edge from both abrasion and corrosion. Micro-nicks quickly render the edge into a kind of saw blade. Even the newer stainless steels that replaced the Blue Blades break down very rapidly in comparison with what we now take for granted.

When Gillette invented the Blue Blade, it set a standard that everyone around the world instantly began to copy. The size and punch pattern became an international standard for razor blades. Gillette learned that lesson the hard way, and they now interchange with no other razors -- you can buy handles from lots of vendors, but the blade cartridges only from Gillette. Indeed, you cannot fit a Fusion cartridge on a Mach3 razor. It is a bigger ripoff than ink cartridges for printers.

Yes. But I must admit. The Fusion cartriges last very long. I have one on their right now that I have been using for months. It is finally starting to go dull and i'll probably change it after another shave or two. But so far I am impressed with how long they last.

Well, in another week or so I'll be experimenting with the old safety razor. This is certainly going to be interesting and a nice trip down nostalgia lane.

I am also amazed at the price of good badger shaving brushes. They start at around $25.00 and go up well over $100 - $200. Mine is a really old one with an authentic celluloid handle. The badger hair still looks brand new.

W3MIV
11-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Well, in another week or so I'll be experimenting with the old safety razor. This is certainly going to be interesting and a nice trip down nostalgia lane.

Start with a dry face and lay the razor head against your cheek so that the blade edge is not in contact. Slowly, very slowly rotate the razor down as you slide it down your cheek. When you feel the edge touch your skin, memorize that angle of the handle to your skin. Maintain that angle as you shave, and you will have the greatest chance of success. Styptic pencil is a good thing to have handy.

I don't mean to seem too pessimistic, but I was just spearminting with a Gillette Speed 3 that bought sometime in the mid-sixties. I used a new stainless blade, and by the time I had wiped the last traces of lather away I had sprung about three thousand souls from Purgatory. Boy does the Old Spice light you up when you have shaved away as much epidermis as I sacrificed to nostalgia.

I am also amazed at the price of good badger shaving brushes. They start at around $25.00 and go up well over $100 - $200. Mine is a really old one with an authentic celluloid handle. The badger hair still looks brand new.

I hear you. I have the same prime, silver-tip badger that I bought in a PX in Germany. The plastic handle had split, so I used good ol' JB Weld. They will outlast boar bristle if taken care of. Wash it out thoroughly after use and hang it upside down to dry. They sell, of course, over-priced brush rack for that purpose, but they are worth it.

Good luck. I hope your experience is far better than mine. Safety razors are still very much in vogue in Europe, and Merkur is probably the best of the lot.

K7SGJ
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Yes. But I must admit. The Fusion cartriges last very long. I have one on their right now that I have been using for months. It is finally starting to go dull and i'll probably change it after another shave or two. But so far I am impressed with how long they last.

I'll send you a roll of toilet paper to use for blood control while you get the hang of the new safety razor. The styptic pencil will stop the bleeding a little quicker, but the tp will get you more sympathy from the gals, and a few jeers from the guys.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 08:18 AM

"I am also amazed at the price of good badger shaving brushes. "

Yea, so was I. But once you have one, the soap cost is negligable. If fact, you don't really need fancy soap. Any ol' cake of soap will do. But even the fancy soaps are cheap. May cost a lot for a piece of soap, but it'll seem to last forever. I did manage to find a badger hair brush for about $10.00 once upon a time. It was fine except the "bristley" part came out of the handle. But that was easy to fix, til I indulged myself with a fancy brush. And a brush will last a life time.

And, I guess nobody else uses Witch Hazel as an after shave? Give it a try. It's got a great, stimulating scent, and feels really good on your face. Learned about that when a barber in Boston used it on the back of my neck after the shave after a haircut. He'd put the Witch Hazel on and then swing a towel around to creat a breeze. That was SO NICE!

W3MIV
11-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Yes, witch hazel is a delightful aftershave. It is also cheap. However, I am addicted to Old Spice, having used it faithfully since my Old Man left a full bottle in the old medicine cabinet more than fifty years ago. Since I have only returned to wet shaving over the past few weeks, my current supply of buoy-shaped bottles are still marked "Shulton, Inc., Wayne NJ" -- I think that outfit was bought out by P&G. I especially like the Old Spice Postshave Conditioner, which is no longer made.

Ordinary soaps are not good to use regularly. As you correctly note, a shave soap seems to last forever, so why be cheap about them? Van der Hagen is a Texass outfit that makes an excellent series of shave soaps that are carried in drug stores for a couple of bucks. They work well. Also, Williams is still on the market.

As for the brush, prime badger will last a very long time under daily assault (I often had to shave twice in the old days -- now I can get away with looking like Yasser Arafat if I choose to ;) ), so it is worth the extra price. It will outlast boar bristles as well as outperform pig hair on your face. Cheap drugstore brushes are almost always boar or a mixture of mostly boar.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Old Spice! Love it, too - never use any deoderant except theirs. The comfort aroma of being about 4 or 5 years old and smelling it after daddy got done shaving is too powerful to resist. My lastest stick says on the back, "If your grandfather hadn't used it, you wouldn't exist!"

Literary reference to shaving....

In Updike's "Rabbit is Rich" (if you haven't read the Rabbit series, it's just GREAT!), Rabbit is in the bathroom of a friend's house and is doing the usual "checking out the medicine cabinet." First, he notes the "ubiquitous blue and yellow hemerroid tube", then spots an aerosol can of shaving cream. He thinks to himself that he always considered that to be a frivilous expense, since "any ol' soap" and a brush works as well.

I've always liked Caswell-Massey stuff. Probably isn't really anything special - just the cache' of the name and maybe the scent.

K7SGJ
11-10-2011, 09:12 AM
"I am also amazed at the price of good badger shaving brushes. "

Yea, so was I. But once you have one, the soap cost is negligable. If fact, you don't really need fancy soap. Any ol' cake of soap will do. But even the fancy soaps are cheap. May cost a lot for a piece of soap, but it'll seem to last forever. I did manage to find a badger hair brush for about $10.00 once upon a time. It was fine except the "bristley" part came out of the handle. But that was easy to fix, til I indulged myself with a fancy brush. And a brush will last a life time.

And, I guess nobody else uses Witch Hazel as an after shave? Give it a try. It's got a great, stimulating scent, and feels really good on your face. Learned about that when a barber in Boston used it on the back of my neck after the shave after a haircut. He'd put the Witch Hazel on and then swing a towel around to creat a breeze. That was SO NICE!

The ones made from bad badgers are a lot less expensive.

W3MIV
11-10-2011, 09:34 AM
If you want cachet, Paul, go to Crabtree and Evelyn (pronounced, "eeeev-a-lin) and check out their sandalwood shaving soap, available in a rosewood bowl at $22 or as a plain cake at $9. If you get to be included in the one-percent, this is the only route to take. Their prime badger is over $100. I like to visit their shop just to inhale.

NQ6U
11-10-2011, 10:17 AM
If you want cachet, Paul, go to Crabtree and Evelyn (pronounced, "eeeev-a-lin) and check out their sandalwood shaving soap, available in a rosewood bowl at $22 or as a plain cake at $9. If you get to be included in the one-percent, this is the only route to take. Their prime badger is over $100. I like to visit their shop just to inhale.

I like to visit one of California's medical marijuana dispensaries for the very same reason.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 10:30 AM

"bowl" and "plain cake" are good news. Alternately with C-M, I used their shaving cream that came in a tube...but didn't like the "tube" part. I WILL check them out. Matter of fact, it's time for another bar of patchouli soap.

Sad note... the Caswell-Massey shop that had been in the Inter-Continental hotel here closed sometime in the last year. And before that I had a conversation with a lady who worked for C-M where I learned that they're it tough financial straits. Damn shame. They were such a great old school and even old world shop to browse in.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 10:33 AM
The ones made from bad badgers are a lot less expensive.

Yea, and how come Minnesota gets all the glory. Why not a Wolverine brush?

W3MIV
11-10-2011, 10:35 AM
I like to visit one of California's medical marijuana dispensaries for the very same reason.

But in C&E, the only thing burning is my ardor; the salesgirl is a knockout, and a real sweetheart with a sense of humor (be still my dysrhythmic heart!). I am surprised that I have not yet bought a couple of cases of their soaps.

K7SGJ
11-10-2011, 11:15 AM
But in C&E, the only thing burning is my ardor; the salesgirl is a knockout, and a real sweetheart with a sense of humor (be still my dysrhythmic heart!). I am surprised that I have not yet bought a couple of cases of their soaps.

Perhaps she would lather you up sometime? Don't know till ya ask, ya know?

W3WN
11-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Plenty to eat at the "Y".Well, since you put it that way...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k

W3WN
11-10-2011, 11:39 AM
You'll cuss yourself the day you have to take the medicine cabinet down and you cut your fingers, veins, and arteries all to hell. Don't ask how I would know that.I don't have to. I had the same thing happen when I replaced the medicine cabinet at the house I had with the ex.

Not only was that loads of fun, but the new cabinet was slightly bigger than the old one, so I had the honor, priviledge, and plesure of trying to trim 2x4's and nor wreck the wall plaster in the process.

W1GUH
11-10-2011, 11:54 AM
And if you're into refurbishing old Pullman sleepers, be wary of the same thing. Those used razor blad slots just went into the structure of the car.

W7XF
11-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Albi...there's an app for that xD It's called VIAGRA xD

n2ize
11-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I use Williams Mug(R) shaving soap. Lightly scented, plenty of shaving lather, readily available at my local drug store and best of all the price, 99 cents per cake. And one cake of that soap lasts a very long time.

W3MIV
11-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Williams is a good choice, and at less than a buck it can't be beat. Keep us apprised of your progress, John. Don't chuck the Fusion in the recycle bin. ;)

n2ize
11-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Williams is a good choice, and at less than a buck it can't be beat. Keep us apprised of your progress, John. Don't chuck the Fusion in the recycle bin. ;)

Equally good is the regular Colgate shaving soap too. And price wise about the same. Usually I buy Williams, but if they don;t have Williams I buy the Colgate. The funny part is when i go into a store and I ask a clerk where they keep the shaving soap. They look at my puzzled and they point out shaving cream. One time a young kid (early to mid 20's) pointed out the shaving cream. I spotted the soap and I grabbed a box and said, this is what I was looking for. He admitted he had never heard of it before. He asked me how does it work so I told him about the mug, the brush and how his great great grandpa probably used the soap. He was intrigued and even said he was going to give it a try one day.

I'll probably continue to use the Fusion most of the time. But I'll see how that safety razor goes. If I can manage it I may use the old safety blade from time to time. But I in no way, shape or form expect it to be anywhere near as convenient or easy to use as the Fusion. The Fusion is an all round great razor... definitely a great product.

n2ize
11-10-2011, 02:57 PM
http://www.williamsmugsoap.com

n2ize
11-11-2011, 07:40 PM

Just to keep you posted I went to the local drugstore and bought a pack of Wilkinson Classic double edge safety blades. They were the only brand they had. Cost me $1.69 for 5 blades. Now I am awaiting the razor handle. This is going to get interesting. :)

KG4CGC
11-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Just shaved with one of those 3 bladed disposables. I think I eeked the last possible shave out of it. Disposable and almost $8 for 4 of them, used to be $7 for 5. Can't get away from the cost. Could try Nair and a butter knife. Will a stool softener work?

W3MIV
11-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Supermarket here had Shick 3-blade disposables in a twelve-pack for $8. I tried them and they're pretty good. No idea how many shaves you can eke out of each since that always depends upon the beard, shaving medium, skin chemistry, etc.

In terms of cost-per-shave, it is the daily consumables that I object to. Seems most of the shelves are stocked with aerosol cans of gel and lather that average a couple bucks per can. The cheapest, amusingly, are the brand retreads that bring a smile to my countenance: Barbasol and Noxzema at the head of my smile list (ahh, the mammaries!). Still in all, that stuff is where the money drains. You would get the most efficiency out of a razor using a straight razor, and that despite having to lay out a couple C-notes for an outfit, provided, of course, you have sufficient years left in you to amortize the cost. ;)

NQ6U
11-12-2011, 11:45 AM
You would get the most efficiency out of a razor using a straight razor, and that despite having to lay out a couple C-notes for an outfit, provided, of course, you have sufficient years left in you to amortize the cost. ;)

Of course, you have to take the cost of styptic pencils and toilet paper into account as well. Always wanted to try a straight razor, though.

W3MIV
11-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Of course, you have to take the cost of styptic pencils and toilet paper into account as well. Always wanted to try a straight razor, though.

The learning curve is not as steep as it is painful. As with the safety razor, it is all in the management of the angle to your skin -- which is even more crucial with the straight than with a safety. You don't have to be Michelangelo or Einstein to graduate from barber school. I have a nephew who couldn't pour piss from a boot, even with video instructions, and he made it. You could do as they do and practice shaving balloons.

Keep the edge at the correct angle as you slide nervously round that chin and down the tender curves around the adams apple and you have it made. Maybe. Hence the marvel of these new multi-blade flexible head razors that track your skin, staying flat while the blades are kept at the proper angle.

KG4CGC
11-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Supermarket here had Shick 3-blade disposables in a twelve-pack for $8. I tried them and they're pretty good. No idea how many shaves you can eke out of each since that always depends upon the beard, shaving medium, skin chemistry, etc.

In terms of cost-per-shave, it is the daily consumables that I object to. Seems most of the shelves are stocked with aerosol cans of gel and lather that average a couple bucks per can. The cheapest, amusingly, are the brand retreads that bring a smile to my countenance: Barbasol and Noxzema at the head of my smile list (ahh, the mammaries!). Still in all, that stuff is where the money drains. You would get the most efficiency out of a razor using a straight razor, and that despite having to lay out a couple C-notes for an outfit, provided, of course, you have sufficient years left in you to amortize the cost. ;)I suffered a terrible shaving accident at the end of a Shick product. Damn thing took out a swath of skin on my face 1.25x1.5 inches wide and it bled for a long, long time. The blade head assembly was apparently of poor structure and I have never used another Shick (shit) product since.

kf0rt
11-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Neckties and shaving both remind me of formalities I'd rather not endure and as a result, don't.

Fascinating discussion, however.

NQ6U
11-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Neckties and shaving both remind me of formalities I'd rather not endure and as a result, don't.

To be perfectly honest, I'd prefer not to shave—it's a downright barbaric practice to scrape one's face with a piece of sharp steel. However, my beard grows in rather haphazardly, with numerous gaps and firebreaks and I can't stand the way it looks so I'm forced to perform the daily devotion to saints Cosmas & Damian.

Neckties, on the other hand, don't bother me at all.

ki4itv
11-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Nor I. Though I do wear shoes more than I used to.

kf0rt
11-12-2011, 01:48 PM

I'm trying to think of the last time I had fun wearing a necktie.

Hmmmm....

Well, that was interesting.

W7XF
11-12-2011, 01:52 PM
To be perfectly honest, I'd prefer not to shave—it's a downright barbaric practice to scrape one's face with a piece of sharp steel. However, my beard grows in rather haphazardly, with numerous gaps and firebreaks and I can't stand the way it looks so I'm forced to perform the daily devotion to saints Cosmas & Damian.

I agree, Pope Carlo.... I can't shave more than once every 3-4 days, unless I want my face to look like Walmart hamburger. I've tried them all...and believe it or not, I have the most luck with the super-cheapo single blade disposable!! Close shaves, and no hamburger face!!!

And, I have haphazard beard too... it was 40 before I could grow a decent goatee!!!!!

W3MIV
11-12-2011, 01:53 PM
I suffered a terrible shaving accident at the end of a Shick product. Damn thing took out a swath of skin on my face 1.25x1.5 inches wide and it bled for a long, long time.

You should have applied for admission to Heidelberg University. Dueling scars were once all the rage. I can well understand being leery of the brand, which is owned by the same folks who own Wilkinson Sword.

I actually enjoy shaving in the morning, especially now that I am retired and can take all the time I want without guilt or pressure. These new five-blade wonders (whether Fusion or M5) make a big difference in both comfort and closeness. Never could get close with an electric; could always feel stubble, and my neck could substitute for 60-grit sandpaper.

There is something deeply nostalgic about it, I guess. I will resort to a cream only for travel use, since the brush and mug become very cumbersome on the road. Nivea makes a good one that is easily obtained in most druggists, but it is somewhat pricey (of course). Little bit does, however, go a long way. I take about a half hour or more to shower and shave. I shave at the sink because I can't see in the shower even with one of those suction-cup mirrors lots of folks affect in the shower. I want light when I am wielding sharp edges. Contrary to what some believe, the Fusion blades can cut you, especially the Fusion Power. Sidle the thing instead of moving straight ahead and you likely will be in for a stinging surprise. Fortunately, the cuts aren't real deep, but there could be up to five of them, all bleeding copiously!

A steaming hot wash cloth to wipe away the last remnants of the lather, a bracing splash of Old Spice Classic aftershave -- the good stuff -- and I am ready for damn near anything. ;)

I wore a full beard for ten or twelve years, but found it more of a PITA than shaving. My hair is very curly (Irish genes) and pure white; I keep the head short (old military habit, I guess) so it stays somewhat straight and manageable, and now sport only a "British" mustache, well managed (hate soup strainers). XYL hates it, but they never seem to figure that ignoring it would yield a far better chance of seeing it paid out than complaining about it.

Neckties I avoid.

n2ize
11-12-2011, 02:09 PM
This is the razor I ordered

http://www.royalshave.com/p/401-121-00/timor-butterfly-safety-razor-satin-chrome.html

They had it on sale last week for $16.00. It arrived in the mail today. Made on Germany, came neatly packed in a box along with a "starter blade". It has a nice look and the feel of the razor is nice. It's got some nice weight to it, seems nicely balanced and, with a good sharp blade,the weight alone should add enough shaving pressure for shaving. I haven't given it a try yet, I am going to give it a try later on.

(http://www.royalshave.com/p/401-121-00/timor-butterfly-safety-razor-satin-chrome.html)

n2ize
11-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Okay, I said I'd keep you posted so, here goes. I tried the razor a few minutes ago. I put a brand new Wilkinson double edge safety blade in the razor, whipped up some lather with the old badger brush, put a few hot towels over my face, then applied the lather and, very carefully and very slowly started using the razor. I used minimal pressure (basically the weight of the razor itself is enough) and tilted it just enough of an angle so it would cut the beard. Immediatly I noticed a very different feel than I get with the Fusion. You can feel this razor cutting the beard as you stroke it along your face. I also had to be very careful to maintain proper angle and above all, go slow. You don't run this thing along your face fast and press down like with the modern cartridge razor. Also, I quickly learned that you don;t shoot for quick and clean (down to the bare skin and beyond) beard removal in one swoop. I found it best to shave an area, re-apply some fresh lather and go over the area again, each time clearing off more beard. With these razors you keep your face well lathered, use extremely gentle pressure, and be patient and go slow. This method is not for a quick one minute shave.

The end result ?? Well I was quite impressed. I got a nice clean shave out of this thing. No cuts and no blood. Not as smooth and close as my Fusion but pretty darned good nonetheless. I would say, not bad for my first try. I'll definitely use this thing from time to time.

All in all I have to give the Fusion a higher mark. You can't beat the smoothness and closeness, and convenience of the Fusion. Still, the old fashioned safety razor scores high. I am quite impressed...

W3MIV
11-12-2011, 05:05 PM
^^I nominate you for the Order of Silver Blade, John. BZ!

K7SGJ
11-12-2011, 05:07 PM
What!? No Blood? You're not doing it right.

n2ize
11-12-2011, 05:30 PM
What!? No Blood? You're not doing it right.

Beginners lick maybe ? I am sure with continued use I'll eventually score a DING here and there.

K7SGJ
11-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Beginners lick? Now I know your doing it wrong. But you might want to try it on the chicks.

n2ize
11-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Okay, now the question I have is, how long (many shaves) does a safety blade last ? Are they good for 1 or 2 shaves ?

NQ6U
11-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Okay, now the question I have is, how long (many shaves) does a safety blade last ? Are they good for 1 or 2 shaves ?

Depends. How high is your pain threshold?

K7SGJ
11-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Ask Mr. Owl....................oops, never mind.

W3MIV
11-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Your face will be the judge. Depending upon your skin chemistry and your beard, you may be able to wring a few shaves out of each edge. You will know when you hit the limit. The old Blue Blades deteriorated quickly, being easily rusted carbon steel. Stainless tends to hold up better.

The drag will increase, and you will sense that the blade is pulling hairs rather than slicing cleanly through them; you will begin acquiring nicks as corrosion and wear gradually pit the edge. You will know when the end comes.

n2ize
11-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Okay, I'll take all that into consideration. It's just that I am liking this razor. All metal stainless steel it's got weight, body and "real feel" to it. Not like those plastic cartridge razors I've come accustomed to. Reminds me of my Dad's all brass safety razor. Holding this razor in my hand is like holding a quality firearm.. A tool that was well built to do a job properly

W3MIV
11-12-2011, 08:41 PM
That is all nostalgia, John, though I don't begrudge your sentiments or make light of them. The world has changed, and materials science has created far better tools for the work to be done. Like it or not, polymer rules. Even those "quality" firearms today are substituting more and more polymer for metal, and achieving better and better results.

kc7jty
11-12-2011, 09:24 PM
http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/19/19.gif

KG4CGC
11-12-2011, 10:10 PM
After being a dedicated Gillette man since 1989, I purchased a 3 pack of BIC 4 blade disposos. Will give it a shot. Still comes out to $2 a stick.

W3MIV
11-13-2011, 08:13 AM
I have come to understand that, while number of edges is an important advantage, the flexible shaving head is the principal technological benefit of the new wet-shaving systems. The difference is incredible.

Gillette Fusion cartridges sell for an average of $4 each, sometimes higher. The best price for Fusion cartridges I have found was at Costco where they are selling fourteen cartridges, packed with a free Fusion Power razor and extra cartridge, making a total of fifteen cartridges and razor for $45. That's $3 per shaving head.

Cheaper yet is the Magnum M5, which is being hawked by Rite Aid as their "Renewal" razor. Four cartridges are about $8 average (they seem almost on permanent sale) and the razor handle with two cartridges goes for $7 and change. That's $2 per cartridge. I have used one and I cannot tell the difference between it and the regular Fusion -- though the trimmer blade set in the edge is on a very different angle from the Fusion's trimmer.

I don't know how many shaves each cartridge is capable of providing. I am currently at eight on a Fusion cartridge, and I suppose I will begin to feel the erosion as the little strip of aloe and bupkes dissolves away. I must confess that the Fusion Power handle is a great idea -- a real advance in both comfort and efficiency. Never thot I'd ever stand up and pay kudos to Gillette, but there it is. Amazingly, for the company that invented "proprietary" non-interchangeability, any Fusion cartridge will fit the new Fusion Power razors. Of course, the offer a higher priced cartridge labeled the "Fusion Pro Power" or some such bullshit, but they all have the same mounting. Not so with other Gillette products. Mach3 will not fit Fusion, which amuses me that so many other companies around the world invested in producing high-end Mach3 razor handles (ivory and sterling and exotic woods, etc) have tooled up to try to hawk what is essentially yesterday's top line. Schmucks, goniffs and schlemiels all.

I wish, of course, that the Magnum M5/Renewal cartridges would fit the Fusion Power handle, but if I can wring a dozen or more shaves out of a single Fusion cartridge, I can live with a shave for two bits. Too bad I can't get the haircut tossed in, but that's another story.

n2ize
11-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I wish, of course, that the Magnum M5/Renewal cartridges would fit the Fusion Power handle, but if I can wring a dozen or more shaves out of a single Fusion cartridge, I can live with a shave for two bits. Too bad I can't get the haircut tossed in, but that's another story.

Fusion blades last me a very long time. However, i don't shave every day. I have a Fusion blade that has been going strong for several months. That color strip or whatever has long worn off and the thing still gives a great shave. It is only now starting to need replacement. I have some extra cartouche's around here somewhere.

However, now that I am into retro shaving and the rule of the rigid straight safety blade.

W1GUH
11-14-2011, 08:32 AM
All this time and nobody's mentioned Gem blades?

W1GUH
11-14-2011, 08:33 AM
http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/19/19.gif

Whoa! For a minute I thought Mack was back!

W3MIV
11-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Whoa! For a minute I thought Mack was back!

Nah. He carried a knife.

W1GUH
11-14-2011, 09:01 AM
With never a trace of blood.

W3MIV
11-14-2011, 10:01 AM
^:clap:

n2ize
11-14-2011, 11:49 AM
All this time and nobody's mentioned Gem blades?

Probably the reason was because we were talking mostly about the double edged type blades. If I remember correct Gem made/makes single edge type blades. But yeah, Gem was a popular brand from a ways back.

w3bny
11-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Meh...bunneh joined the "winter fluff club" two years ago and I havent looked back!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/Bunnieman/Photo_111710_002.jpg

And for touch-ups...I use a Braun.

K7SGJ
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I think I saw that face on the Post Office Wall.

NQ6U
11-14-2011, 09:23 PM
I think I saw that face on the Post Office Wall.

Better there than a dark alley somewhere.

n2ize
11-15-2011, 10:36 AM
I had another go at shaving with the old fashioned safety razor this morning. I used regular Williams shaving soap. It worked out great. I got a very beautiful smooth and close shave. I would say the shave I got from the safety razor this morning is just about as good if not as good as the Fusion razor. No facial irritation, no cuts, no blood. Just a nice clean, smooth, close shave.

At this juncture I am going to stick with the safety razor as my main shaver. And, under 2 dollars for a pack of blades it's quite a bargain. I'll keep the Fusion around and maybe even use it from time to time. But so far I like the safety razor, it does an excellent job and is extremely cost effective.

w3bny
11-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Honestly, when I was shaving I am so happy with my Braun electric. No bites, no nicks, cuts super close smooth as a baby bunniesbottom.

W3MIV
11-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Honestly, when I was shaving I am so happy with my Braun electric. No bites, no nicks, cuts super close smooth as a baby bunniesbottom.

I used one for about ten years. It was the best electric I ever used, without a doubt. I also liked the cleaning station idea, in that it kept the heads clean and lubed and recharged the beast quickly. Over those years, however, the cleaning solution (which seems to be an alcohol-silicon mix of some sort) deteriorated the razor's plastic case near the shaving head. The paint wrinkled and it looked like all hell, but did not seem to inhibit function. Replacing the head every year or so added about $40 to the cost, and the cleaning fluid ran $10 for two tanks at Wally's. I originally paid somewhat more than a hundred bucks for it new, and I recently saw the new model at Target for an astonishing $250! All that aside, my only complaint was that it never gave me a close shave. My neck felt like sandpaper no matter how many times I ran over it with the beard mower, nor what direction I chose for my course.

It was fast and convenient, however. At that point in my life, fast and convenient was important. Now, however, I don't mind taking a half-hour to shave in the morning. Indeed, I enjoy the ancient ritual -- the hot water, the hot lather, the smells, the bells -- oops, that's another bit of missed nostalgia. ;)

I agree, however, that the Braun is the best I tried. I did try a Remington many years ago. Chewed my face as it went. I also tried the Norelco system with three round heads. OK, but not even as close on me as the Braun.

YMMV.

WØTKX
11-15-2011, 03:44 PM
I use a Norelco triple head. It's not baby bunneh butt smooth, but it's close enough for government (literally) work. It's comfy, and fast. The (h)edge trimmer on the side works great for sideburns, beards and mustaches. Used to scrape my face every morning for years with a white collar coat and tie gig. Not needed any more.

Don't really like to shave, never have.

w3bny
11-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Hedge trimmers...(was gonna put some comment about who gets the braun when I am done with it but the "hedge" are just fine)

kf0rt
11-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Let ya know what I use... Next month, when I use it. Had a Panasonic beard trimmer for a couple years, but it tended to break the hair rather than cut it, so gave up on that. The new (electric, runs on AA's) just works.

Okay, went upstairs and peeked... Remington Precision MB10, it says. Think I bought it at Best Buy out of frustration, and it wasn't expensive; under $40, as I recall. It has an adjustable and removable comb for the beard and when removed, it's a good dog-hair trimmer. Put new AA's in it maybe once a year, if that. Well designed and it just works.

Five minutes (six, if you take a shower) and you're ready for a hamfest!

Oy vey...

K7SGJ
11-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Let ya know what I use... Next month, when I use it. Had a Panasonic beard trimmer for a couple years, but it tended to break the hair rather than cut it, so gave up on that. The new (electric, runs on AA's) just works.

Okay, went upstairs and peeked... Remington Precision MB10, it says. Think I bought it at Best Buy out of frustration, and it wasn't expensive; under $40, as I recall. It has an adjustable and removable comb for the beard and when removed, it's a good dog-hair trimmer. Put new AA's in it maybe once a year, if that. Well designed and it just works.

Five minutes (six, if you take a shower) and you're ready for a hamfest!

Oy vey...

Yeah, as long as it's 6 days travel time in 100 degree heat with 80% humidity.

W3MPS
11-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Most intriguing. I fell victim to Gillette's Mach 3 due to the fact that they had some sort of contract with the Army. The gimmick was that the Mach 3 razor was the only one available in the PX that we were allowed to resupply at during basic training.

Given the fact that I've been out for a while and shaving is no longer mandatory, I believe I shall explore the finer points of shaving.

I was looking at the various safety razor blade sampler packs on Amazon. I am really liking the fact that a 25 blade assortment is only $15.00 or so. When I find a blade I like....... I'm still in shock, about $18.00 to $20.00 per hundred!?

@#@*%&^!&@%#*^@%^#@ paying $25.00 for an 8 pack!

W3MIV
11-16-2011, 06:55 AM
The price of a blade or cartridge, alone, is a poor indicator of the efficiency of the system. It is the number of shaves that it will give before it must be replaced. A straight razor may cost $200, but if it lasts a lifetime of shaves, it is far more cost effective than the cheapest of blades.

NQ6U
11-16-2011, 10:02 AM
A straight razor may cost $200, but if it lasts a lifetime of shaves, it is far more cost effective than the cheapest of blades.

Until you factor in the emergency medical costs, anyway.

W3MIV
11-16-2011, 10:06 AM
I am inclined to believe that more blood has been spilt at the expense of safety razors than straights. The name, alone, inspires a misplaced confidence that has opened many a careless eye, whereas only a man with a true death wish would wield the open blade with such merry abandon.

W3MPS
11-16-2011, 09:52 PM
The price of a blade or cartridge, alone, is a poor indicator of the efficiency of the system.

Very true; however, the price point is attractive. I intend to get a sampler pack and try it out and see how I like it. Worst case, I'm out no more than my usual shaving expenditures.

Retro is in

So give it a spin

It might please the women

Burma Shave

W3MPS
11-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Or a bit of more hack poetry

A retro shave

Is all the rave

Don't deny it

You should try it

Burma Shave

W1GUH
11-17-2011, 10:52 AM
The price of a blade or cartridge, alone, is a poor indicator of the efficiency of the system. It is the number of shaves that it will give before it must be replaced. A straight razor may cost $200, but if it lasts a lifetime of shaves, it is far more cost effective than the cheapest of blades.

[completely, 100% tongue-in-cheek]

You learn that from your days an an Amway distributor? ;) That's exactly how we were trained to sell their products..."It's concentrated, so you use less, and that costs you less in the long run!"

BTW...you making all the money you want?

N7YA
11-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Retro straight blades is where its at,

Its not just for killing, and thats a fact!

Burma Shave. :-D

W3MPS
11-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Retro straight blades is where its at,

Its not just for killing, and thats a fact!

Burma Shave. :-D
Yo dawg, that's so deep, yet so gangsta! Lol

British steel

It gives a real feel

Ask Judas Priest

To say the least

Burma Shave

N7YA
11-18-2011, 05:13 AM
Yeah, i pretty much like to keep it real...when im not representin' up in heYAH!

W1GUH
11-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Must not be any Minnesota or Wisconsin fans here. Somewhere previously I referred to Minnesota Badgers. I was totally off-base. Minnesota is the Gophers. DUH!! It's Wisconsin that's the Badgers.

Still...hows about a Wolverine shaving brush?

n2ize
11-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Must not be any Minnesota or Wisconsin fans here. Somewhere previously I referred to Minnesota Badgers. I was totally off-base. Minnesota is the Gophers. DUH!! It's Wisconsin that's the Badgers.

Still...hows about a Wolverine shaving brush?

Not sure how the wolverine bristles are. Badger is used for shaving brushes mainly because it retains it's form and rigidity when wet with water and shave soap yet is still soft enough that it is gently and does not scratch or irritate the face. Plus the bristles are very durable and last very long. There are many century old shaving brushes still in use It's physical properties are a natural for use in shaving.

W3WN
11-22-2011, 08:46 AM

Still...hows about a Wolverine shaving brush?We don't need no stinkin' Badgers.

W1GUH
11-22-2011, 08:51 AM
We don't need no stinkin' Badgers.

Damn straight! That "little brown jug" should stay right there in Ann Arbor, where it belongs!

(Guess you can tell that Michigan was my "growing up" college football team.)

rot
11-22-2011, 09:30 PM
My grandfather was a barber in Charlotte. I used to get my haircut as a kid and he would put the hot towel, shave cream and then go throught the motion with a cardboard straight razor simulator he made... Always make a big deal out of it....Good times.
I use a Merkur double edge razor, brush and shaving soap/water. Works on this face. I've lost a bit of fine motor control in the fingers and the straight would end up a messy blood letting so I stay away from that.
I hate to shave and I hate the scrag face...always something.
rot

n2ize
11-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Just thought I'd mention that I have been shaving with the old fashioned safety razor regularly and I am really enjoying it. I am getting consistent smooth close shaves and no cuts, nicks, or blood. Only real difference that I can see between this and the modern razors is, 1) I have to take a bit more time when i shave and go a little bit slower, and, 2) a pack of 5 safety blades costs me $1.35 where as a pack of 4 modern cartridge blades costs me >$20.00/

n6hcm
11-29-2011, 07:10 PM
i got eight cartridges for $16. each cartridge gets about four shaves, so i'm good at $0.50/shave. it seems i have to shave more to get rid of dead skin than i do to get rid of whiskers (i'd keep them otherwise).

WØTKX
11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c-QGyWw_WkY/S23jJHf-yhI/AAAAAAAAAHI/9IN2quSyQHc/s320/Sweeney+Todd.jpg

W3MIV
11-30-2011, 04:56 PM
It'd be the last shave one need worry about.

W1GUH
11-30-2011, 06:46 PM
One thing about shaving brushes is that they should be stored bristles down. So...unless you get one with some sort of stand, you need to get that extra. I managed to find one made by Kent:

http://www.kentbrushes.com/kent/large/wet_is_best.jpg

Whole collection here.
(http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=52&cat=Shaving+brushes)

They also sell stands. Navigate from the above link.

One thing about shaving with a brush and soap if you fly -- you can take a brush in your carry-on baggage, and if you can stand to use "whatever soap is there" you're all set. Beats buying a can of shaving cream and throwing a lot away. Or maybe they make shaving soap in travel size?

Finally...saw a picture of the barber shop in NYC's Twentieth Century Limited. It shows the barber shaving a customer -- yep, with a straight razor on a moving train. That guy must have been GOOD...or those trains must really have been smooth. Yikes!!!

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/MED/26/2697/5FPUD00Z/posters/alfred-eisenstaedt-barber-victor-e-aceto-shaving-passenger-aboard-the-20th-century-limited.jpg

W3MIV
11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
If you want to travel and shave with a brush, buy shaving cream in a tube (like toothpaste) or in a can with a cap on it. Google Proraso.

Don't make the mistake I made several years back and put a pressurized can of shaving suds in my check bag. You may be lucky, but I had a bag full of suds when I landed Boston. Proraso is good stuff, and it is very "travelable." Quarter size gob in your palm and work it up with your brush. Lush!

I have the same prime badger brush I have been using for a half-century or more. Had to repair a split handle (good ol' JB Weld) and it soldiers on...

W1GUH
11-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Good info. There's limit on how much you can carry-on. Dunno if that comes in a travel size. OTOH, in checked baggage almost anything is OK. I was speaking of carry-on.

n2ize
12-01-2011, 11:50 AM
One thing about shaving brushes is that they should be stored bristles down. So...unless you get one with some sort of stand, you need to get that extra. I managed to find one made by Kent:

http://www.kentbrushes.com/kent/large/wet_is_best.jpg

Whole collection here.
(http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=52&cat=Shaving+brushes)

They also sell stands. Navigate from the above link.

One thing about shaving with a brush and soap if you fly -- you can take a brush in your carry-on baggage, and if you can stand to use "whatever soap is there" you're all set. Beats buying a can of shaving cream and throwing a lot away. Or maybe they make shaving soap in travel size?

Just buy a cake of Williams Shaving Soap. Or if you can't get Williams get Colgate, Costs about 90 cents and pack it in your luggage. It doesn't take much room. I use it all the time for shaving. It works great.

Also, you stand the brushes upside down so they can properly drain and dry. Once the brush is properly dry it can be stored in any position,

n2ize
12-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I have the same prime badger brush I have been using for a half-century or more. Had to repair a split handle (good ol' JB Weld) and it soldiers on...

I had the same problem. Mine has a celluloid handle and it developed a small crack on one side (probably from being dropped). I fixed mine with Ambroid(R) celluloid glue and its been fine.

W3MIV
12-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Also, you stand the brushes upside down so they can properly drain and dry. Once the brush is properly dry it can be stored in any position,

I don't understand what you mean. Paul is correct in that the brush should hang with the bristles pointing down so that they drain and dry without being subjected to bending and any moisture remaining in the brush will not seep back into the knot. It is almost impossible to completely rinse a brush of all soap after shaving, so it is best to keep the bulk of the residue out of the knot.

Williams shaving soap used to smell like cheap lime. Have they changed the scent? On the whole, I prefer Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood at $9 the cake. Lush lather and it lasts a long, long time.

N7YA
12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Whoa! :shock:

Did a thread on the Island just...get back on topic??

n2ize
12-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't understand what you mean. Paul is correct in that the brush should hang with the bristles pointing down so that they drain and dry without being subjected to bending and any moisture remaining in the brush will not seep back into the knot. It is almost impossible to completely rinse a brush of all soap after shaving, so it is best to keep the bulk of the residue out of the knot.

I mean exactly what I said. You hang the brush upside down so the water drains and the brush dries via evaporation. But once there is no longer any moisture in the brush it doesn't matter which way it is oriented in 3-space because it is dry and there is no fluid flow due to gravitational force on water molecules in the brush.

Williams shaving soap used to smell like cheap lime. Have they changed the scent? On the whole, I prefer Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood at $9 the cake. Lush lather and it lasts a long, long time.

It has a faint sweet soapy smell (not like lime) almost bordering on odorless. And for the price it can't be beat.

W1GUH
12-01-2011, 10:34 PM
More expensive than hotel soap. Talking about traveling.

n2ize
12-02-2011, 06:55 AM
More expensive than hotel soap. Talking about traveling.

Yeah, but if you are traveling can't you just pack a puck of inexpensive shaving soap (such as Williams or Colgate) along ? That's what I would do. Or buy a cake of shaving soap at a local store in whatever place you are staying at ? Otherwise if you must you can probably use hotel soap to shave with. You may not get as much lather and it may not be as good for shaving but, it should work..

W3MIV
12-02-2011, 07:01 AM
It is easy to carry a small shaving soap in a zip-lock sandwich bag. Your hand will form a good-enough shaving mug. Hotel soaps are "soap" soaps, and not good for shaving. Even the "facial" varieties. They are meant to clean your face, while shaving soap is meant to lubricate it for the razor.

Let the shaving soap dry before putting it back in the zip-lock else it will start to get mushy.

W1GUH
12-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Guess our faces are different. Never noticed any difference at all. But then, I don't shave all that often. And yes, a small cake in a ziplock is just fine.

W3MPS
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM
First shave of the new year! I ordered a Merkur razor and a hundred pack sampler of blades from around the world for my present to myself. I must say, I like it.

The closeness and quality of the shave was top notch. Guess I'm set for blades for the next two years.

Happy new year and off with the beards!

w3bny
01-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Bite me. I like my bunneh fluffs now!

KG4CGC
01-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Fluffs? LOL! OK.
Barbed wire spikes here.
Or like we said as kids, Bobwire."

w3bny
01-03-2012, 09:43 PM
fluffs!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/Bunnieman/IMG_20111007_113854.jpg

WØTKX
01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Gruff Fluff.

KC2UGV
01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
You looked like a pissed off Bunny...

NQ6U
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
fluffs!

Best argument in favor of shaving I've seen in quite a while...

w3bny
01-04-2012, 01:37 PM
You looked like a pissed off Bunny...

Actually no I wasnt. Just a self pic at the desk. (did anybody notice the C-4 crate on the wall?)

Best argument in favor of shaving I've seen in quite a while...

Ah hatez yuo so much XD ;)

WØTKX
01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
The C4 lends itself well to the gruff 'tude, fluff dude!

w3bny
01-04-2012, 02:16 PM
The C4 lends itself well to the gruff 'tude, fluff dude!

Ok I'll put a MLP plush up will that make you all happy then...WILL IT!!! (Durpy FTW)

K7SGJ
01-04-2012, 03:05 PM
fluffs!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/Bunnieman/IMG_20111007_113854.jpg

I had to go to the post office today. While waiting in line, I got to looking at some photos on the wall, and......well...........ah....probably just a coinky dink..........never mind.

w3bny
01-04-2012, 03:40 PM
I had to go to the post office today. While waiting in line, I got to looking at some photos on the wall, and......well...........ah....probably just a coinky dink..........never mind.

yeah yeah...coming soon to a post office or ICE poster near you...

KB3LAZ
01-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah, but if you are traveling can't you just pack a puck of inexpensive shaving soap (such as Williams or Colgate) along ? That's what I would do. Or buy a cake of shaving soap at a local store in whatever place you are staying at ? Otherwise if you must you can probably use hotel soap to shave with. You may not get as much lather and it may not be as good for shaving but, it should work..

Is shaving soap different than that crap they sell in the can that comes out as foam? I looked it up but it looks the same once applied. I cant use that stuff that looks like whipped cream because my face brakes out. Plain dial soap works decent for me.

First shave of the new year! I ordered a Merkur razor and a hundred pack sampler of blades from around the world for my present to myself. I must say, I like it.

The closeness and quality of the shave was top notch. Guess I'm set for blades for the next two years.

I think I will buy one. I just can not get a close shave without breaking out. As of now I am using this free 5 blade razor. Close shave but it brakes me out. A el cheapo single blade plastic safety razor does not irritate my skin but it gives a shit shave. I have tried everything else, its worth a try.

On a side note I have paid for a shave with a straight razor and its just perfect. However, I dont want to pay for a shave 3x a week.

KG4CGC
01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Shaving soap? I use Dawn Ultra.

w3bny
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Better than Easy-off yellow

On edit...

Speaking of Easy-off yellow. I remember my first experience to Magic shaving powder gold in bootcamp...<sniff-sniff> What the hell is that d00d did you just fart?

KG4CGC
01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Better than Easy-off yellow

Ever hear about men with very pitted facial skin who use Nair and a butter knife?

KB3LAZ
01-04-2012, 04:24 PM

As in dish soap? I have lots of it but it is scented. My pores will not like that.

w3bny
01-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Ever hear about men with very pitted facial skin who use Nair and a butter knife?

aka Magic shaving powder and a butter knife.

KG4CGC
01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
As in dish soap? I have lots of it but it is scented. My pores will not like that.
Yes.
For most of the year I shower with it too. Poison Ivy is a bitch in the South.
As for my pores, they're usually oil geysers for 6 months out of the year. That could change though, being an olde pharte and all.

n2ize
01-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Is shaving soap different than that crap they sell in the can that comes out as foam? I looked it up but it looks the same once applied. I cant use that stuff that looks like whipped cream because my face brakes out. Plain dial soap works decent for me.

Shaving soap will give you more lather and foam than regular dish soap. It is also not as heavily perfumed and gentler on the skin that regular soap. It provides better lubrication for a smoother shave than dish soap. It also is cheaper than the stuff in the cans. A puck of Williams or Colgate shaving soap costs me less than $2.00 and lasts much longer than a can of shave cream. It also tends to moisturize and provide for a better shave than shaving cream.

If you are going to use shaving soap I recommend a good badger shaving brush. The badger brush is just the right consistency for whipping up a nice lather and applying it to the face. The only drawback is that good quality genuine badger shaving brushes can be expensive... But, they last a lifetime and beyond.

w3bny
01-05-2012, 09:48 AM
A foamy badger isnt a good thing you know!

NQ6U
01-05-2012, 10:01 AM
A foamy badger isnt a good thing you know!

That seems a bit odd, coming as it does from a furry... ;)

w3bny
01-05-2012, 10:05 AM
That seems a bit odd, coming as it does from a furry... ;)

HAHHAAHHAHA...no! Thats like the second rule. The roo is always on top and never touch a foamy badger.

on edit...

There is also a very important rule for those that attend furry "cons" that must always be obeyed!

Never stick your d*ck in crazy!

N7YA
01-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Never stick your d*ck in crazy!

This sound advice almost always comes from experience.

I should know. :whistle:

KG4CGC
01-05-2012, 06:25 PM
<snip>

There is also a very important rule for those that attend furry "cons" that must always be obeyed!

Never stick your d*ck in crazy!That's not just a furry rule.