PDA

View Full Version : Colony

KC2UGV
11-04-2011, 01:23 PM
For those who watch Discovery much already know about this show; but I just spotted it on Netflix. They have season 1 up on instant watch, and I already finished it :)

Awesome show! The premise is take 10 survivors of an apocalyptic dooms day scenario, plunk them down somewhere, and see where it goes.

Now, I'm usually not much of a reality TV show type of person; but this show border well on documentary and social experiment. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes to tinker with stuff, and who likes to build things with as little as they can.

I shuddered once while watching it: When they keyed up a spark-gap transmitter...

kc7jty
11-04-2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.whitmcleod.com/_img/how/3_a_i_1_aaHistory161.jpg

N8YX
11-05-2011, 07:03 AM
I shuddered once while watching it: When they keyed up a spark-gap transmitter...

Surprised the FCC/OfCom/IC/whatever wasn't up their asses over it.

KC2UGV
11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Surprised the FCC/OfCom/IC/whatever wasn't up their asses over it.

They probably did, and just paid the fine as a cost of business. I don't think they could have gotten cleared for it, however.

kb2vxa
11-05-2011, 05:50 PM
"The premise is take 10 survivors of an apocalyptic dooms day scenario, plunk them down somewhere, and see where it goes."
The South has been there, done that.

"I'd recommend it to anyone who likes to tinker with stuff, and who likes to build things with as little as they can."
Rednecks consider it a comedy show, they're not dumb and have been doing that all their lives.

As for the transmitter, I don't think anyone really cared but it was a really neat spark of an idea.

NQ6U
11-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Rednecks consider it a comedy show, they're not dumb and have been doing that all their lives.

Check out Rocket City Rednecks on the National Geographic Channel some time. Nuthin' but a bunch of good ol' boys, a number of whom happen to work for NASA in Huntsville, AL.

KC9ECI
11-05-2011, 07:05 PM
I watched it when it was one but added it to my instant que the other day to watch again. Look for "Out of the Wild" too, that's another good one. They take a bunch of people and the idea is to hike through Alaska and self rescue. Ive also just finished watching season 1 of Dual Survival. Also an interesting show.

N7YA
11-06-2011, 06:48 AM
I like the premise of the show well enough, i just cant handle the bickering and reality show melodrama...that shit always bugs me.