PDA

View Full Version : For all you computer gurus

K7SGJ
11-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Before I do anything to my Asus netbook, again, I would like some opinions and/or suggestions. (other than to shitkan it, or the OS)

It runs Windows 7 starter, has 2 gig mem (max), 250GB/5200RPM HD (I have a solid state HD I will be putting in it), and has an Atom Processor. I know the 5200 is not going to be speedy.

The problem: Runs slower than hell. Especially when loading a new screen. However, the last time this happened, I formatted the drive and reloaded the OS, and it ran quite well again, for awhile. Then, over time, it started to slow down more and more. I have only had essential programs load at startup in hopes that would help. Prior to the reload, I did do a REG clean, defrag, spyware/malware sweep, and all the other usual stuff to no avail.

Like I said, I will be putting the SS HD in soon, and this will speed it up considerably. But just like the other units around the house, they eventually get painfully slow. It becomes so severe, that although a mouse command will be acknowledged, it will not execute for 10-20 seconds while all the other boogie-woogie is going on.

My question is, what is happening to it that it gets slower as time goes by, and how can I minimize or eliminate the problem and keep it functionong like it does after a clean install?

Thanks in advance.
eddie

WØTKX
11-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Check for malware, use a few different tools. Look at all your running processes, Google them to make sure they are kosher. You could run a low level disk diagnostic as well, but... save that for later.

If you are running a router (likely) check to make sure you are surfing the net in a very stealthy manner. ShieldsUp is great for that at https://www.grc.com (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2)

Sometimes printer programs and other gadger put a lot of chatter on the net.

kf0rt
11-01-2011, 09:20 PM
I've had an Acer Aspire One netbook for a couple years now; don't use it much, but it's handy when needed. ATOM CPU, etc. Pretty much the same configuration you have.

This thing pretty well sucks running XP out of the box. It was slow when it was brand new.

I split the 160 Gig hard drive in half and installed Ubuntu Linux on the other half. This works reasonably well and the performance doesn't suck too bad. The ATOM was never designed to run a full-blown version of Windows with any performance. Windows 7 starter is a marketing gimmick and you'll never get decent desktop performance out of an ATOM processor.

No foul; the ATOM has it's place, but if you want to use it for anything useful, Linux is probably the better approach.

KJ3N
11-01-2011, 09:31 PM
It runs Windows 7 starter, has 2 gig mem (max)....

That's a big part of your problem right there. Should be running XP, if you're going to stick with WinDoze.

As previously mentioned, Linux would be the better choice.

WØTKX
11-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Ahhhh, I did not know that about the Atom processors and Windows 7. Doesn't surprise me at all. I don't own any Atom based systems. I've been sticking with AMD & ATI for a few years now, and it's been good.

kf0rt
11-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Ahhhh, I did not know that about the Atom processors and Windows 7. Doesn't surprise me at all. I don't own any Atom based systems. I've been sticking with AMD & ATI for a few years now, and it's been good.

The ATOM is actually pretty cool... It's like a Pentium III. Small footprint and it will run XP/7, just not with any real performance. Way cool for embedded stuff, I'm thinking. We've run some ATOM boards at work running serious Windows bloatware (under XP). The shist works, but performance is no great shakes.

The ATOM would absolutely SCREAM under DOS 6.0. <g>

KC2UGV
11-02-2011, 05:19 AM
The Atom can run Window 7 rather snappy, with a gig of RAM (It's what I have on my netbook, where I ran Win7 for a while).

I think you have two issues: Windows Starter, and the pagefile on the HD.

Take a 2GB SD Card (They are a dime a dozen now), and stick it in one of the SD Card slots, then tell windows to use the entire thing for ReadyBoost. You'll see a 1000% difference.

KA9MOT
11-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Check for malware, use a few different tools. Look at all your running processes, Google them to make sure they are kosher. You could run a low level disk diagnostic as well, but... save that for later.

If you are running a router (likely) check to make sure you are surfing the net in a very stealthy manner. ShieldsUp is great for that at https://www.grc.com (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2)

Sometimes printer programs and other gadger put a lot of chatter on the net.

That ShieldsUp thing is cool! It says I am very stealthy!

WØTKX
11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes it is. I'm a fan of Steve Gibson, I've even had a few beers with him years ago at a Comdex show in Vegas when I was working for one of his favorite vendors. We sent him prototypes, and he'd try to break them.

KA9MOT
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
You know, I was wondering how well one of these netbooks would run Android......... They do have a version for that....

N1LAF
11-05-2011, 08:50 AM
I bought a Dell refurbished netbook, for something like $250, has the Atom Z530 processor, 1.6 Ghz, 1 GB RAM and XP/SP3. Not a gaming computer, but for everything else, its pretty good. As far as performance issues, as I have seen before, if you have anti-virus software, check its settings. Some will have 'adjustments' on its aggressive scanning behavior. Antivirus scanning may affect performance. AVG has a settings to adjust "how quickly scan completes" setting

Netbooks are great to have on travel, lightweight, and long battery life. They also play MP4 movies, several, on batteries.