PDA

View Full Version : How do you just walk away?

koØm
11-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Fifty-plus years ago, a teacher demostrated the forces present between the two opposite magnetic poles and how through "induction" these sub-atomic particles could be harnessed and made to do mechanical, electrical and thermal work. After becoming educated in the field of Electronics and other related subjects, I spent the last 40-plus years of my life managing the flow of electrons through different wires to perform specific tasks or deliver information. I also managed to dove-tail my hobby as well as my on-the-side hustle into this electronic thing.

At one time, I was emotionally involved as well was my "Self-Esteem" with my job/hobby/sideline but, recently I have to admit total indifference to the hobby/sidelide job because of the changes in times, people and, "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune"; I have decided to pull the plugs.

Now, this not the first time but, I am sure that it will be the last time, the only question is what to do with the equipment/parts that I have gathered over the years. Some have value, some have volume, most are QRO parts, projects and test equipment but, right now they are just in the way. Each day, I pack a little more into the plastic bins knowing that the contents will never be used by me again. I cannot see myself hauling them to different Flea Markets, online auction is out of the question and, I am reluctant to ship by any mail or courier service.

Cannot even find a deserving and interested Boy Scout Troop to give the stuff to.....

NQ6U
11-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Try giving the stuff you don't want to bother selling to a local ARC. That recently happened with mine; we sold them for enough money to finance next year's Field Day activities.

NA4BH
11-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Also check with the local Tech school.

KG4CGC
11-01-2011, 01:01 PM
First of all, chemical changes in the brain occur with age that cause these feelings. There is a good chance that it is a treatable organic condition. See your doctor. Having said this, while it is good to thin the radio barn from time to time, do not go and get rid of something that you know you will later regret not having. Then try expanding your interests to a field of electronics you have not explored yet. The learning curve will be there and may give you some needed stimulation.

koØm
11-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Try giving the stuff you don't want to bother selling to a local ARC. That recently happened with mine; we sold them for enough money to finance next year's Field Day activities.

That's an idea; I once saw this TV show where the family had a yard sale and, everything that did not sell was pitched into a bonfire and forgotten.

koØm
11-01-2011, 01:22 PM
First of all, chemical changes in the brain occur with age that cause these feelings. There is a good chance that it is a treatable organic condition. See your doctor. Having said this, while it is good to thin the radio barn from time to time, do not go and get rid of something that you know you will later regret not having. Then try expanding your interests to a field of electronics you have not explored yet. The learning curve will be there and may give you some needed stimulation.

OK, what about this one:

If you had a "Friend" who just got the sh*tty end of the sharp stick poked in his eye when he sold a item to another Licensed Amateur Radio operator who raped it for parts and then sent it back and claimed a full refund on eBay. Should this "friend" just suck it up and walk away as it was explained to him by the eBay rep that all "Stores-sellers" suffer loses through thief and breakage?

KG4CGC
11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
That's between you and your deity or code.

W3MIV
11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I sense that something has led you to this impasse of sorts, and that you are focusing on this as a diversion, as a means of doing "anything" as a substitute for directly tackling the issue that is the real sticking point. Step back. Do nothing. Let some interval intervene. It might bring clarity and perspective as percolation devolves to precipitation. As Charles sagely advises, do not act today in a manner you are likely to regret on the morrow.

W3WN
11-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Alb,

First, don't dispose of anything just yet. Certainly continue to sort, catalog, and store, but give it a little time. Don't make a rash decision... not that I think you would.

Now, should you decide to go through with some or all of the items being disposed of...

First, as has been suggested, contact friends in the local vicinity (and I'm not going to make the obvious wisecrack) and see if there's anything that anyone would like. It's up to you to decide if you want to give away things or sell them, by the way, do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Second, once your friends have what they'd like, you have a few options. A donation to a local club, as has been suggested, is a worthy cause, presuming it's a worthy club, of course. If I were doing this, I'd tell the group to come & get what's left -- but they have to take it all. The club can the do as it sees fit; distribute to members, use for the club's purposes, take to a hamfest or swap'n'shop to raise funds... but it's out of your hands and out of your hair.

Third, if this doesn't work or doesn't suit you, there are companies or individuals who will buy surplus electronics. Same deal, they have to come and take it all. Again, then it's out of your hair.

Now if you happen to have a case & chassis good for a KW antenna tuner, I have the parts, just not the case... just saying... :)