PDA

View Full Version : A eulogy?

W5GA
10-31-2011, 09:24 AM
This morning is really tough. We have many animals, but as is usually the case in a situation like that there is one that is truly special. Our very special Sheltie, Shilah, has lump on her side that we just found this morning. She's not a young dog at 10 years, and she's been with us since she was 8 weeks old. With the exception of a 2 month period when she was 3, she's spent every single night on the bed. Always there, always faithful. We lost here for those 2 months after my wife was in a head on collision. My oldest son was in the car, and was trying to get Shilah out. She's always been shy, and with all the emergency vehicles around, slipped her collar and ran. She was living out in the country in the foothills outside Fresno, Ca. We'd put the usual flyers out on the phone poles, and my wife had gone so far as to look through the records at the local shelter for euthanized dogs trying to find her. We got a phone call one morning from some folks a few miles from us, saying they thought they'd seen Shilah. They had a free choice feeder for their dog, and another animal was "helping" the food disappear. We went over to the house, and the folks had a live trap on loan from the local game warden. My wife put her sweater in the trap, and we got another call the next morning from these good folks saying Shilah was in the trap. HAPPY DAYS!!! Talk about a dog that was happy to see her people!
She's been through thick and thin, traveled all over the country with us doing this and that. Always loving, always happy...the best dog we've ever had. This is really, really tough, but we fear the worst. She's going to the vet tomorrow - I hope it's not a one way trip.

Here's her picture:

KC2UGV
10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Man, I hope for nothing but the best from this. Hopefully, whatever the lump is, can be dealt with non-intrusively. For what it's worth, doesn't sound like something that would be a one-way trip :)

PA5COR
10-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Let's hope for the best outcome.
Found early this can be treated quite well.

K7SGJ
10-31-2011, 09:45 AM
We have several dogs, and one of them developed a lump such as you described. We took her to the vet and he told us it was fatty tissue. He also said it is fairly common to get this kind of a lump in older dogs. He said he could remove it, but it wasn't hurting the dog and would never become a problem other than esthetically. It has gotten a little larger and more solid over the years, but it has never been a bother to her.

I hope that Shilahs' is a similar condition and will be with your family for many many years to come.

W3WN
10-31-2011, 10:03 AM
It may be nothing, a benign growth. Mickey had a few of those as he got older, and the vet told us that at his age, it was more dangerous to operate (and hope he'd survive the procedure) than to leave them be. He lived for another 4 -5 years or so before his legs went.

Keeping the proverbial fingers crossed for good news on this...

KG4CGC
10-31-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this.

WA4TM
10-31-2011, 07:57 PM
I wish her all my best,,, and BTW that is one beautiful pup you got there..

W5GA
11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Well, a HUGE sigh of relief here. The vet says all is well, doesn't know what it was we felt but speculated it may have just been a full gut. Thanks for all the positive and kind thoughts, guys.

K7SGJ
11-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Glad to hear it.

PA5COR
11-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I love good outcome's

;)

KC2UGV
11-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Excellent news!

suddenseer
11-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Her's a pretty dog. I am glad it came out this way.

W3MIV
11-01-2011, 08:26 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

WØTKX
11-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Whew!

w2amr
11-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Good news Doug.

WA4TM
11-02-2011, 05:29 PM
That is great news!!!!!!!!:dance: