PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Snowstorm

N1LAF
10-29-2011, 01:30 PM
CT Weather Forecast
From Storm Team 8 Weather Center

Updated: Saturday, 29 Oct 2011, 1:51 PM EDT

(WTNH) - By Steve Villanueva

Winter storm, high wind, and coastal flood Warnings/Advisories in effect.

The breakdown goes like this. Heavy snow most of the state down to the shoreline. Rain in New London and Windham counties. Changeover to snow for you by this evening. The snow will be very heavy with snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour. Driving is tough, very low visibilities. Plus we will have very strong winds, The strongest will be in New London county. Wind gust of 60 MPH hour are possible there. 50 mph winds possible elsewhere. The snow stays with us though about midnight, then starts to end from west to east. NW Ct will see most of the snow, 6" - 12" expected there. Most of the state will see roughly 5"-10" of heavy wet snow. Power outages are likely.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/weather/storm_team_8_forecast

Here it is, 2:30 pm, and snowing very heavy, the ground is turning white. I expect the storm will be worse than predicted.

... so much for global warming ;)

W3MIV
10-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Up to five inches predicted here last night. Has been naught but some thin, wet slush -- and that only on vegetation, some roofs and autos left on the street -- and some big rain drops with pits.

n2ize
10-29-2011, 01:50 PM
It's piling up over here. Already snapped a few tree branches and cause some power interruptions.

ab1ga
10-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Started here about ten minutes ago.
Big flakes falling vertically, occasionally swirling due to wind.
This is gonna be a mess.

n2ize
10-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Trouble is most of the trees here are still green. No surprise, up to about a week or two ago we were still having temps around 80. Now the trees, already laden with heavy leaves are getting all this heavy snow and ice. This is going to make things very problematic over the next 12-24 hours.

kb2vxa
10-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Oh lucky me, cold wind driven rain here at the Jerkme S'more so it's take the balls off the brass monkey and bring them below decks, secure the cannons, batten down the hatches and ride it out.

W2NAP
10-29-2011, 04:52 PM
in the words of nelson HA! HA!

ad4mg
10-29-2011, 04:59 PM
We left Hatteras Island this morning. It was 62°. Got to Richmond, and it was 43°.

I'm going back ... :-D

N8YX
10-29-2011, 04:59 PM
in the words of nelson HA! HA!

Don't laugh just yet. Indiana may get dumped on before this winter is over.

W2NAP
10-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Don't laugh just yet. Indiana may get dumped on before this winter is over.

were used to getting dumped on... I say BRING IT ON!

I kinda figure tho. this winter is going to be pretty bad this year

NQ6U
10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
I know naught of this "snow" thing of which you speak. WX here on the Islets of Langerhans was sunny with high temperature 72° F (21° C, 294° K).

n2ize
10-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I like this weather. i am enjoying it.

kf0rt
10-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Here's the debris left over from this week's 6" of wet stuff. Trees weren't ready for this; all melted now.

http://www.westton.com/misc/tree.jpg

WØTKX
10-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I had about a dozen really large limbs come down, but only two dropped in the neighbors yard.

No real damage, but it's a big mess. Lost some big trees in the neighborhood.

n2ize
10-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Here's the debris left over from this week's 6" of wet stuff. Trees weren't ready for this; all melted now.

http://www.westton.com/misc/tree.jpg

Round here that's normal autumn ground cover, from about the last week in October to Thanksgiving. However, since a lot of the trees here were still green and are not snow covered and are going to have to withstand temps in the 20's tomorrow night I suspect the leaves are going to come down a lot quicker this year.

W1GUH
10-30-2011, 03:29 AM
I like this weather. i am enjoying it.

I hope you took advantage of it. That's the perfect kind of day for antenna erection.

n2ize
10-30-2011, 03:31 AM
I hope you took advantage of it. That's the perfect kind of day for antenna erection.

And for other types of erections too. :lol:

W2NAP
10-30-2011, 05:11 AM
guess some places up in the NE got over 20 inches of snow

N8YX
10-30-2011, 05:42 AM
guess some places up in the NE got over 20 inches of snow
That heavy, wet stuff is no fun to clear out of a driveway.

One of our three in-service motorcycles is going to being put up for winter today and we're going to wash the other in preparation for storage this coming week. That will leave the Concours for me to ride during what will hopefully be a relatively snow-free winter.

W3MIV
10-30-2011, 07:57 AM
... what will hopefully be a relatively snow-free winter.

From your lips to god's ears.

KK4AMI
10-30-2011, 08:28 AM
From your lips to god's ears. Aren't you the one that was bragging about selling your house and moving further north (More Snow)?

W3MIV
10-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Aren't you the one that was bragging about selling your house and moving further north (More Snow)?

I don't recall "bragging" about selling my house, but I am planning to do so. As to direction, I think your geography needs a refresher. Delaware is east, not north, and lies in the same latitude as Maryland. As a matter of fact, my new home will lie about 33 miles farther south than my present home, though more than ninety miles farther east.

ad4mg
10-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Aren't you the one that was bragging about selling your house and moving further north (More Snow)?

I don't recall "bragging" about selling my house, but I am planning to do so. As to direction, I think your geography needs a refresher. Delaware is east, not north, and lies in the same latitude as Maryland. As a matter of fact, my new home will lie about 33 miles farther south than my present home, though more than ninety miles farther east.
Allow me to help, Albie.

'AMI, do you know where the Richmond Coliseum is? Albert's new crib is nowhere near there. 8)

KK4AMI
10-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Sorry, I forgot which State you mentioned. Thought it was Connecticut.

W1GUH
10-30-2011, 12:48 PM
My only regret about the snow is there weren't any football games (that I could find, anyway) on TV being played in it. There's nothing like a televised football game when you can hardly see the field for all the snow, and they scrape off the snow on the stripes! And, on natural grass, a sea of mud forms!

KG4CGC
10-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Where's your Global warming NOW? Huh?
Guess this proves it. :smug:

W2NAP
10-30-2011, 02:59 PM
My only regret about the snow is there weren't any football games (that I could find, anyway) on TV being played in it. There's nothing like a televised football game when you can hardly see the field for all the snow, and they scrape off the snow on the stripes! And, on natural grass, a sea of mud forms!

best football right there.

W1GUH
10-30-2011, 06:25 PM
best football right there.

Yep!

W2NAP
10-30-2011, 08:27 PM
the guy who started the "dome stadiums" should be beat with a horse whip

W1GUH
10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
the guy who started the "dome stadiums" should be beat with a horse whip

And, if he's a ham, the Wouff Hong and Rettysnitch simultaneously!

W2NAP
10-31-2011, 04:19 PM
man i miss old school football. played in the super cold,wind,and snow.

n2ize
10-31-2011, 06:46 PM

I don't know about Albert but when I retire I have plans of moving much further north.

NQ6U
10-31-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't know about Albert but when I retire I have plans of moving much further north.

I'd pretty much have to move north. Either that or significantly improve my Español. "Hola, Pablo. ¿Que tal?"

ab1ga
11-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Well, I hope I don't have to do that again.

Power and comms lost Saturday at 1920 local, restored today at 1410. I'm too worn out to do the math right now.

Spent time:
- Shuttling wife back and forth from student-teaching gig (one of two cars was in shop awaiting repair when they lost power).
- Putting gas in generator
- Tending to trivial needs of cats now cranky because of disruptions of routine
- Changing oil in generator
- Procuring gas for generator
- Trying to look for new job using madly overbooked library computers
- Cancelling appointments
- Recharging cell phone
- Wondering why a generator used for the very first time is making such a funny noise.

How have things been here?