PDA

View Full Version : My new friend

w2amr
10-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Check out my new friend. I have seen her around for the past year or so, and assumed it was a neighbor's cat. Some of the neighbors on the next block say they feed her from time to time, but she has no real home or shelter, other than going under parked vehicles to get out of the weather. She is deaf and very skinny. She is also very friendly. I made accommodations for her in my garage last Thursday, and on Friday handed her of to a friend who works for the South Jersey animal welfare . She was given an exam by a vet and found to have an ear infection and a cut in her mouth which is causing her problems when eating. She has already been fixed , so she was probably dumped by her former owners and wandered into this area. I have to give her an antibiotic twice a day in her food, and she is eating much better now. I put a furniture pad and soft towel on my tablesaw by the window and this is where she spends most of her time. She loves basking in the afternoon sunlight that comes through the window during the day. She has also mastered the litter box. When I go into the garage I get a very loud meow greeting and then the purring starts. What a sweetheart.

KG4CGC
10-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Bless you, George!
She looks like a real sweetheart!

ab1ga
10-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Add one life saved to your score card, OM. Well done!

PA5COR
10-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Thumbs up here too.
That's how we mostly get our cats, they just "know" we offer a good home to stray's

w2amr
10-29-2011, 11:56 AM
If Leyna only knew what is living in the garage.......:mrgreen:

ab1ga
10-29-2011, 12:03 PM
If Leyna only knew what is living in the garage.......:mrgreen:

Five will get you ten she already knows. Now I know why the kitty is in the garage...

KK4AMI
10-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Congrats on the Save. Question? How do you know when a cat's deaf? That would imply that cats listen to us in the first place :)

W3MIV
10-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Congrats on the Save. Question? How do you know when a cat's deaf? That would imply that cats listen to us in the first place :)

Cats do listen, but you have to be talking on a topic of interest to them. I had a Maine Coon who loved me to read Horace to him in the original Latin, but if I picked up a volume of Ovid he would turn and leave the room.

ki4itv
10-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Cats do listen, but you have to be talking on a topic of interest to them. I had a Maine Coon who loved me to read Horace to him in the original Latin, but if I picked up a volume of Ovid he would turn and leave the room.

:lol:
finicky felines.

NQ6U
10-29-2011, 07:33 PM

My cat, on the other hand, only listens when I read cookbooks aloud.

W3MIV
10-29-2011, 07:48 PM
My cat, on the other hand, only listens when I read cookbooks aloud.

Read a Vietnamese cookbook and you might get a different reaction. ;)

K7SGJ
10-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Check out my new friend. I have seen her around for the past year or so, and assumed it was a neighbor's cat. Some of the neighbors on the next block say they feed her from time to time, but she has no real home or shelter, other than going under parked vehicles to get out of the weather. She is deaf and very skinny. She is also very friendly. I made accommodations for her in my garage last Thursday, and on Friday handed her of to a friend who works for the South Jersey animal welfare . She was given an exam by a vet and found to have an ear infection and a cut in her mouth which is causing her problems when eating. She has already been fixed , so she was probably dumped by her former owners and wandered into this area. I have to give her an antibiotic twice a day in her food, and she is eating much better now. I put a furniture pad and soft towel on my table saw by the window and this is where she spends most of her time. She loves basking in the afternoon sunlight that comes through the window during the day. She has also mastered the litter box. When I go into the garage I get a very loud meow greeting and then the purring starts. What a sweetheart.

Cats are sly. Here is the rest of the story. (Apologies to Paul Harvey where ever you are)

This thing wasn't abandoned, it ran away from a home where meals weren't all that great, and any attention or love was weighed and measured and found to be lacking. After many weeks of recon in the neighborhood, he selected your place as the most likely site to achieve the goals he set out to accomplish. The cat went on a crash diet to give the appearance of neglect. He then found a mouse femur and and sharpened it on a rock. After dipping it in some rotting garbage, he jammed it into the roof of his mount insuring an infection.

It was then he appeared on your doorstep. You obviously showed him kindness, fed him, and attended to his wounds. Then, here is where you fucked up, you made a nice bed on your table saw for the conniving feline. The fact is this cat wanted this all along. If you look under mattress you made for him, you will find detailed instructions from Norm Abrams on how to build a multi level (and multi family) cat house. Yes, that little bastard had an eye on the saw the whole time.

So if you here the whine of a saw plowing through lumber, and the pop of a nail gun in the middle of the night, you have no one to blame but yourself.

ETA You better hide the keys to the car you are restoring. It only takes three or four of them to steer, work the pedals, and gear shift.

w2amr
10-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Cats are sly. Here is the rest of the story. (Apologies to Paul Harvey where ever you are)

This thing wasn't abandoned, it ran away from a home where meals weren't all that great, and any attention or love was weighed and measured and found to be lacking. After many weeks of recon in the neighborhood, he selected your place as the most likely site to achieve the goals he set out to accomplish. The cat went on a crash diet to give the appearance of neglect. He then found a mouse femur and and sharpened it on a rock. After dipping it in some rotting garbage, he jammed it into the roof of his mount insuring an infection.

It was then he appeared on your doorstep. You obviously showed him kindness, fed him, and attended to his wounds. Then, here is where you fucked up, you made a nice bed on your table saw for the conniving feline. The fact is this cat wanted this all along. If you look under mattress you made for him, you will find detailed instructions from Norm Abrams on how to build a multi level (and multi family) cat house. Yes, that little bastard had an eye on the saw the whole time.

So if you here the whine of a saw plowing through lumber, and the pop of a nail gun in the middle of the night, you have no one to blame but yourself.

ETA You better hide the keys to the car you are restoring. It only takes three or four of them to steer, work the pedals, and gear shift.
Aww Geez.8)

WØTKX
10-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Gonna name the new kitty Toonces, or what?

http://media.windingroad.com/windingroad/versus/toonces_jpg_470x470_q100.jpg

N8YX
10-30-2011, 11:54 AM
All of ours have been strays or feral.

They are very appreciative of their new accommodations, if not outright demanding. Especially our Manx/Tuxedo cross. The Maine Coon is the calmest of the lot by far.

w2amr
10-30-2011, 12:26 PM
The sun comes through that window for a few hours each day, She takes full advantage.

w2amr
10-30-2011, 12:27 PM
All of ours have been strays or feral.

They are very appreciative of their new accommodations, if not outright demanding. Especially our Manx/Tuxedo cross. The Maine Coon is the calmest of the lot by far.How many do you have now Fred?

KG4CGC
10-30-2011, 01:23 PM
The sun comes through that window for a few hours each day, She takes full advantage.
Solar Reckoning from the Animal Kingdom.
Wait ... Mutual of Omaha's Animal Kingdom with Marlin Perkins.
"I've had Jim and Brock under a Tootsie tribal voodoo hypnosis spell now for the last 20 years. I'm going to send Jim down into this pit of vipers and ..... "

w2amr
10-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Solar Reckoning from the Animal Kingdom.
Wait ... Mutual of Omaha's Animal Kingdom with Marlin Perkins.
"I've had Jim and Brock under a Tootsie tribal voodoo hypnosis spell now for the last 20 years. I'm going to send Jim down into this pit of vipers and ..... "
Marlin never got his hands dirty.:mrgreen:

K7SGJ
10-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Okay Jim. I'll hold the camera while you circumcise that water buffalo.

N8YX
10-30-2011, 05:07 PM
How many do you have now Fred?
3 - 'Sir Snooty', the Manx mutt (thinks he's better than everyone else), 'Prince' the Maine Coon and 'Midnight', an all-black female. She's 1/3 the size of the boys and absolutely fearless.

This is just about my limit - wouldn't have taken the female in but she was going to die of a uterine infection. Of course, the critter is now Jillian Michaels to the other two...who really do want to be left alone to slumber their days away.

W3MIV
10-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Her antics will keep them younger than were they permitted to just lounge around and go to seed. That comes fast enough without pressing it.

w2amr
10-31-2011, 03:43 AM
3 - 'Sir Snooty', the Manx mutt (thinks he's better than everyone else), 'Prince' the Maine Coon and 'Midnight', an all-black female. She's 1/3 the size of the boys and absolutely fearless.

This is just about my limit - wouldn't have taken the female in but she was going to die of a uterine infection. Of course, the critter is now Jillian Michaels to the other two...who really do want to be left alone to slumber their days away.I didn't know they slept so much. This cat was asleep for almost 4 hours laying in the sun yesterday. But she is still recovering.

PA5COR
10-31-2011, 06:48 AM
My cats, 15/16 years old, and the Maine Coon can sleep 4 hours without blinking an eyelid.
They are all very healthy, and well fed.

w2amr
11-01-2011, 03:47 AM
My cats, 15/16 years old, and the Maine Coon can sleep 4 hours without blinking an eyelid.
They are all very healthy, and well fed.
I'm still learning. Up to this point, all the cats I have taken care of were ferals in work. Tootsie here is my first indoor couch potato. So far she has shown no intrest in going back outside.

W3MIV
11-01-2011, 05:21 AM
So far she has shown no intrest in going back outside.

That is your first major lesson: Cats are not stupid. Once they have you on the hook, they will wrap you around a toe.

w2amr
11-01-2011, 05:46 AM
That is your first major lesson: Cats are not stupid. Once they have you on the hook, they will wrap you around a toe.
yep

W5GA
11-01-2011, 07:08 AM
2nd lesson...dogs have owners, cats have staff.

KG4CGC
11-01-2011, 08:09 AM
2nd lesson...dogs have owners, cats have staff.Truth!
That one always makes me lulz.

W3MIV
11-01-2011, 08:09 AM
2nd lesson...dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Very true. Worse, the periodically remind you of your status.

kb2vxa
11-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Cats are descended from Bastet and humans created as their servants. Those who tend to forget are severely punished so when kitty rubs on your leg saying "feed me"; do so immediately without fail... OR ELSE!

w2amr
12-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Update. Toots has put on about 3 or 4 lbs, and all of her medical issues have been resolved. I made a short video of her training. Here she is working out on the speed bag.
http://s961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/jerseygeorge441/?action=view&current=tootsworkout.mp4

K7SGJ
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
That left jab followed by a right hook is a killer combination.

KG4CGC
12-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Awwww! such a sweetie ☺

W1GUH
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
'AMR...you look very, very good in angel wings. Bless you, she's such a love.

Cats and reading. Never had a cat who could stand seeing me read. No matter what it was, it'd be the place they just HAD to lay down on!

w2amr
12-23-2011, 04:03 AM
'AMR...you look very, very good in angel wings. Bless you, she's such a love.

Cats and reading. Never had a cat who could stand seeing me read. No matter what it was, it'd be the place they just HAD to lay down on!
Pretty hard to do anything in the garage now,when I'm out there she demands my attention.

PA5COR
12-23-2011, 05:07 AM
Respect.
We have 3 cats, danged if i know how i get something done here...

kf0rt
12-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Pretty hard to do anything in the garage now,when I'm out there she demands my attention.

Payback for the Santa hat, no doubt.

KC2KFC
12-23-2011, 08:58 AM
She is quite a cutie George. My wife and I have been collecting cats for about 15 years now. A friend of mine calls me the cat herder. We currently have nine. We lost Gracie a little over a year ago. Two of them from an animal shelter and the rest are strays that found us. I think it's great that you took her in and cared for her.

w2amr
12-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Payback for the Santa hat, no doubt.:lol: Actually that's not toots, just a picture I found online. It does Looks just like her though.

w2amr
12-23-2011, 12:53 PM
She is quite a cutie George. My wife and I have been collecting cats for about 15 years now. A friend of mine calls me the cat herder. We currently have nine. We lost Gracie a little over a year ago. Two of them from an animal shelter and the rest are strays that found us. I think it's great that you took her in and cared for her.9 Cats? That must be a busy litter box.

N8YX
12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
9 Cats? That must be a busy litter box.

We have one for each of ours. That is, in theory. They occasionally get territorial and try to co-opt each other's 'facilities'.

Glad to hear your critter is doing well, George. I'm fixing to tranq our latest one. Someone turned her switch to Full On today and she's absolutely going nuts running around the house. Don't dare drop a part from my workbench on the floor, either - New Toy! - and it's gone just like that.

ab1ga
12-23-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm fixing to tranq our latest one. Someone turned her switch to Full On today and she's absolutely going nuts running around the house. Don't dare drop a part from my workbench on the floor, either - New Toy! - and it's gone just like that.

She needs play time - take an old sock, fold it over a couple of times, then tie a ten-foot length of cord around the middle of it. Drag along the floor, going around corners and such. Let them chase fake mouse until worn out.

N8YX
12-23-2011, 01:33 PM
She needs play time - take an old sock, fold it over a couple of times, then tie a ten-foot length of cord around the middle of it. Drag along the floor, going around corners and such. Let them chase fake mouse until worn out.

We've got fake mice, lasers, rubber spiders, rattle balls, you name it - nothing wears this one out. I spent 20 minutes running her up and down the stairs with the laser this morning; 5 minutes later she's back at it again...chasing an imaginary friend, from the looks of things. Extremely high energy.

The boys aren't falling for this nonsense: One's favorite toy is a catnip mouse and the other likes a rubber 'stress ball' which my employer handed out earlier this year. Best stress relief of all comes from watching the cats chase it.

ab1ga
12-23-2011, 02:28 PM
That's why you put a long string on it. You get to sit in your favorite chair, drinking your favorite beverage, occasionally tugging at the string steadily but not quickly. As the lump of sock goes across the terrain (carpeting is best), it twitches and jerks as it moves along.

Even if they don't chase it, they sit real quiet like and watch it ready to pounce, usually when it's about to go around a corner. When the string is all reeled in, you cast the line again and see if you can get another kitty to bite.

And, like I mentioned, the best thing about catfishin' is you don't have to move any more than you feel like, yourself.

w2amr
12-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Toots didn't do much of anything except sleep when I first rescued her. Now the better she feels, the less she sleeps, and the more she plays. She loves sitting by the back window watching the birds and squirrels hanging around the bird feeders behind the garage. I have a 50 watt floodlamp positioned above her catbed that keeps the temp around 40 degrees , even when the rest of the garage is in the 20's. I also bought a heated waterbowl that keeps her water from freezing. I think we are set for the winter.

w2amr
12-23-2011, 02:38 PM
That's why you put a long string on it. You get to sit in your favorite chair, drinking your favorite beverage, occasionally tugging at the string steadily but not quickly. As the lump of sock goes across the terrain (carpeting is best), it twitches and jerks as it moves along.

Even if they don't chase it, they sit real quiet like and watch it ready to pounce, usually when it's about to go around a corner. When the string is all reeled in, you cast the line again and see if you can get another kitty to bite.

And, like I mentioned, the best thing about catfishin' is you don't have to move any more than you feel like, yourself.

Damn, that sounds like fun.:mrgreen:

W1GUH
12-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Reminds me of four cats and their mattress races. There was a mattress leaning up against the wall upright, and those four kitten LOVED to race each other running all over it. Up, down, sideways....they LOVED it! Ya just gotta love cats. So lovable and so entertaining!

WØTKX
12-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Somebody gave me a Pocket Fisherman, so I used it to do "kitty casting" with my first cat Raul. Stout line and a catnip bag. I liked getting reeled in real fast. Was a crazy assed attack monkey kitty... A Russian Blue with a wild streak, he was in the habit of daily gifts of dead somethings.

He sincerely believed it helped his food bowl stay full. :mrgreen:

http://www.dealassoc.com/Pocket_Fisherman.jpg

w2amr
12-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Somebody gave me a Pocket Fisherman, so I used it to do "kitty casting" with my first cat Raul. Stout line and a catnip bag. I liked getting reeled in real fast. Was a crazy assed attack monkey kitty... A Russian Blue with a wild streak, he was in the habit of daily gifts of dead somethings.

He sincerely believed it helped his food bowl stay full. :mrgreen:

http://www.dealassoc.com/Pocket_Fisherman.jpg
I did something like that with the 4 ferals I used to take care of in work. I had an 8' length of rope with knots tied in it. I would coil it up , cast it away from me. Then haul in 4 crazed cats dragging along the ground hanging on for dear life , biting and clawing at the rope. As I was coiling it back up for another cast, all 4 would crouch down waiting for the next attack. Nothing but fun.