PDA

View Full Version : The Stink Bug: heir to the Universe...

W3MIV
10-28-2011, 07:47 PM
My neighbor finally agreed to the severe pruning of his weeping willow, a "Little Shop of Horrors" reprise that enfolded the chimney of my house. Having cleared the offending tinder, I elected to have an expert resuscitate the gas log in the FP. Needed a new "generator." To my non-surprise, a "generator" is the new and vastly higher priced equivalent of what I knew as a "thermocouple."

"Generates a whole lot more juice," Herr Professor informed me as he scribbled on the invoice. The only legible item, of course, was the total cost, which bullion I handed over.

This evening, the XYL hosts semi-annual Bunco evening -- a raucous gathering of very noisy women who drink lots of bad wine and eat hundred-weights of bad food -- so I bethought me to ignite the newly renovated FP just to shine a bit, as they say in those benighted climes where such expressions are de rigueur.

Wrong!

Upon opening the doors and flinging back the screens, I was confronted with a scene that might have brought forth a gasp from Gregor Samsa. How Herr Professor had managed to work in the midst of this throng should be recorded by an anthropologist. It is worthy of study. I was faced with a wriggling mass of olfactory riot. Igniting the gas did little more than piss the throng off to the point where they coursed through the fenêtre nearly bowling me over as they rushed out of my artificial Hades.

The only recourse was to seek a technological edge, so I flew to the basement, chortling all the way down the stairs. I returned armed with an industrial wet/dry vacuum boasting 2.5 HP and dimming the lights like an execution in one of those old William Bendix prison movies. My plan, of course, was to dispatch the SBs with the same alacrity that Hollywood applied to Lefty.

Wrong, plus!

Once sucked into the bowls of the whirlwind and mashed into a noisome pulp, the air exiting my machina terrible was far more objectionable than the unassaulted hexapoda. The entire house now reeked of halyomorpha halys.

Fortunately, I hit upon the idea of lighting scented candles -- of which the XYL has a collection that would bring a blush to Martha Stewart -- and seeing if the overpowering perfume of myriad pumpkins, apples, cedar glades and sundry would bring relief.

It is hard now to know which I prefer, the stink bugs or the damned candles...

kc7jty
10-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Know what you mean with the chemically concocted fragrances. Sounds like you had a good time though.​

NA4BH
10-28-2011, 08:17 PM
So WTF happened? You lost me at HELLO..............

KG4CGC
10-28-2011, 08:17 PM
OMG! Funny shist. Reminds me of some obscure Ray Stevens song.
I recall the story of a Christmas Tree farmer who in his early years with his wife, only kept a single, modest tree for themselves during the Season of Yule. Their first Christmas together include a hoard of of Praying Mantis hatchlings that apparently erupted from their sac once it became warmed by the conditions present inside their quaint, cabin home.
They left for a trip to the wife's inlaws on the afternoon the tree was brought inside. It was a 2½ drive one way. When they arrived home the next day, they little boogers were everywhere. After the screams died down, they killed as many as they could but even into the following Summer, a couple of them would come out of the woodwork, literally, every now and then as who knows how many were hiding out of sight.

For the next 2 years though, they never saw any other kind of bug anywhere for a radius of several feet around the house. Not even a bee or a housefly.

Yes, the sack was hiding in the tree!

WØTKX
10-28-2011, 08:43 PM
You had to give your house a whore shower? :snicker:

W5GA
10-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Albi, hie to the local emporium and get a bottle of Febreeze. You'll find it equally as efficacious as the candles without the competing scents.

ab1ga
10-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Heir to the UNIVERSE?

Then you have not yet encountered the Spican Snot Slinger, the tale of which can only be told after the word learns the truth of the Giant Rat of Sumatra.

W3MIV
10-29-2011, 09:34 AM
The Giant Rat of Sumatra now works for Xe.

ab1ga
10-29-2011, 09:36 AM
The Giant Rat of Sumatra now works for Xe.

All is discovered! None are safe! Fly while you can!

KK4AMI
10-29-2011, 12:26 PM
My deepest sympathies on those damn bugs. I used metal screening on both of my chimneys last year. I think it has been successful. We have only had a handful of bugs in the house this year. I closed off all access to the roof vents with screening as well.

kb2vxa
10-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Stink bugs, preying mantises, and for me come spring in West Creek a house full of ladybugs trying to get out. OK, I opened all the windows wide but little bug brains can't tell glass from air so for a couple of weeks I had live window shades. Thankfully stink bugs don't winter in sheltered areas.

"Reminds me of some obscure Ray Stevens song."
The single from the 2010 album We The People; Throw The Bums Out or... Caribou Barbie?

W3MIV
10-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Thankfully stink bugs don't winter in sheltered areas.

Ah, but they do. They come inside in fall and stay over the winter, awakening whenever the warmth suits them.

From W'pedia:

The brown marmorated stink bug is more likely to invade homes in the fall than others in the family.[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug#cite_note-IFAS-5) The bug survives the winter as an adult by entering houses and structures when autumn evenings become colder. Adults can live from several months to a year.[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug#cite_note-6)[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug#cite_note-7) They will enter under siding, into soffits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soffit), around window and door frames, or any space which has openings big enough to fit through. Once inside the house, they will go into a state of hibernation. They wait for winter to pass, but often the warmth inside the house causes them to become active, and they may fly clumsily around light fixtures.

W3WN
10-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Stink bugs, preying mantises, and for me come spring in West Creek a house full of ladybugs trying to get out. OK, I opened all the windows wide but little bug brains can't tell glass from air so for a couple of weeks I had live window shades. Thankfully stink bugs don't winter in sheltered areas.

"Reminds me of some obscure Ray Stevens song."
The single from the 2010 album We The People; Throw The Bums Out or... Caribou Barbie?Given the choice, I'd rather have the ladybugs back instead of the stinkbugs.

W3MIV
10-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Given the choice, I'd rather have the ladybugs back instead of the stinkbugs.

:plusone:

n2ize
10-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Nothing a gallon of Lindane won't handle.

kb2vxa
10-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks Albie, but I never saw a brown marinaded stink bug, only the salad green ones.

"Given the choice, I'd rather have the ladybugs back instead of the stinkbugs."
Me2, if left unmolested they don't ooze that orange stinky stuff that's highly irritating to the skin.

W3MIV
10-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I find, to my utter amusement, that the highest concentrations of these imported pests is Eastern PA and MD. Lucky us!

Don't get too giddy, though. They are spreading out rapidly.