PDA

View Full Version : Radioshack makes good on promise...

KC2UGV
10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
... to listen to their customers.

Several months ago, Radio Shack asked their customers what they'd like to see in the stores. Overwhelmingly the answers were more components, more kits, and more hobby-type stuff.

So, today, I run into Rat Shack to try and find a regulator (3 A range). They didn't have one, so I browsed the store for anything else I may need.

What do I spot on the shelves? KITS!

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?fbn=Brand%2FVelleman&fbc=1&filterName=Brand&categoryId=4446519&s=D-StorePrice-RSK&filterValue=Velleman&allCount=51&f=Brand%2F1022056%2F&numProdsPerPage=60&s=D-StorePrice-RSK

Seems like they are carrying Velleman kits, and quite a few of them. USB interface proto kit, Metal Detector, Blinky Heart LED, High Power LED driver, Microcontroller kit, et al.

They had 10 in store, and seems like they have about 40 total on their site.

This is good news :)

W3WN
10-28-2011, 12:35 PM
At work the other day, the subject of RadioShack came up during a discussion at our IT staff meeting.

Naturally, I had to quip "Oh yes... RadioShacK: You have questions, we have cell phones!"

My boss laughed so hard that yes, he really did spit up coffee. Fortunately, it landed on the conference table, and not on his iPad!

WØTKX
10-28-2011, 01:49 PM
^^^ That's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I was "shackled" for almost three years. Working there SUCKED because of upper management.

Worked a lot of retail over the years, usually enjoy the work. This was worse than Montgomery Wards was.

KG4CGC
10-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I want to see radio kits and ham radio kits and gear.
Also, larger diameter 10 and 5 foot mast sections.

WØTKX
10-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Antenna "kits" would be great. So would a return to **gasp*** speaker components.

Simple but decent shortwave RX's, some with DRM and/or SAM capability.

If they would bring back a 10 meter rig, they'd sell 'em on the solar upswing.

Robots, helicopters, and computer kits too...

W3MIV
10-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Dreamer!

N7YA
10-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Wait a minute! That place is still around?

KC2UGV
10-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Antenna "kits" would be great. So would a return to **gasp*** speaker components.

Speakers, not so much (As they could never fit the bill between WalMart and Bose, they just wont sell). But, they do have copper-clad "antenna wire" at most locations, and a decent selection of audio recording stuff as well.

Simple but decent shortwave RX's, some with DRM and/or SAM capability.

It seems like Grundig is the only line of SW stuff they sell. I'm not sure if the Grundig model there has DRM, but it's a nice enough SW receiver for $99. Considered getting it yesterday :)

If they would bring back a 10 meter rig, they'd sell 'em on the solar upswing.

Robots, helicopters, and computer kits too...

They've got the kits, go and check them out next time you pass by. But, yeah, they should grab the licensing back from Albrecht for the HTX-10 & 100; or just rebrand them.

W1GUH
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Latest thing I picked up at Radio Shack was a tiny, self-contained DMM. Very convenient to leave in the globe box, or even carry around in your pocket. $39.95. Saw that in an RS store in Kent, CT. But, so far, I haven't found it on their website. Dunno if it's too new for the website or discontinued, but it's just what I'd been looking for at hamfests. The little case holds the probes and everythign. And -- for $6 you can get an "extended warrenty" that covers the batteries. I bought that in case the batteries conk out and besides, the female behind the counter was knowledgable, hot, and cool. (My mind went tilt on THAT note....but it was true!).

W1GUH
10-31-2011, 09:07 AM
'UGV:

fit the bill between WalMart and Bose

What, you mean they're between Bose and Infinity? ;) (For personal, as well as techinical reasons, I HATE Bose anything!)

kf0rt
10-31-2011, 09:15 AM
What, you mean they're between Bose and Infinity? ;) (For personal, as well as techinical reasons, I HATE Bose anything!)

Agree. Bose isn't very well regarded past the advertising and hype:

For $1000, the Bose 3-2-1 can not be described as anything less than a crime against sound reproduction.
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

KC2UGV
10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
'UGV:

I mean they could never sell anything speaker-wise that fits between high-end, and consumer crap. Nobody would buy it.

Take hams: Unless RS would carry Heil, we wouldn't buy it. And, Joe Consumer would never buy mid-line stuff, they just want sound, and generally don't care about quality. See how many people buy "sound bars" for flat-panel TV's...

W1GUH
10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Yep.

When I bought that Henry Kloss Tivoli Radio Model 2 (http://www.tivoliaudio.com/model-two-reg-stereo-in-cherry-metallic-taupe.html) from a local audio shop I couldn't help but comment on how much better it was than the "other" one, and for a LOT less money. The guy said, yea, "You're Better Off with Something Else!

BTW...I highly recommend those Tivoli radios. Mine makes outstanding computer and TV speakers.

NQ6U
10-31-2011, 10:57 AM
I had a compact Radio Shack auto-ranging DMM for years and really liked it. The only reason it failed is because I allowed the battery to leak and damage the PCB; I've been looking for something to replace it but haven't found anything to compare as of yet.

KG4CGC
10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
I mean they could never sell anything speaker-wise that fits between high-end, and consumer crap. Nobody would buy it.

Take hams: Unless RS would carry Heil, we wouldn't buy it. And, Joe Consumer would never buy mid-line stuff, they just want sound, and generally don't care about quality. See how many people buy "sound bars" for flat-panel TV's...
We've been going on the assumption that everyone is an idiot for so long now that no one wants to give quality products a chance. Hams will buy mic speaker stuff that is other than Heil. If Joe consumer is so stupid to sound, then why does JC go to custom audio shops for his custom street rod? Forgetting for a moment that he can't afford the stuff in the first place, he will find a way to buy.

KC2UGV
10-31-2011, 11:32 AM
We've been going on the assumption that everyone is an idiot for so long now that no one wants to give quality products a chance. Hams will buy mic speaker stuff that is other than Heil.

I used Heil as an example of a mid-to-upper range stuff.

If Joe consumer is so stupid to sound, then why does JC go to custom audio shops for his custom street rod? Forgetting for a moment that he can't afford the stuff in the first place, he will find a way to buy.

Because the custom audio shops will sell JC oxygen free cables, at $75/foot.

KG4CGC
10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Because the custom audio shops will sell JC oxygen free cables, at $75/foot.
Doesn't that make my point?

WØTKX
10-31-2011, 11:37 AM
There's a couple of gems at RS for hams.

They have a microphone that works damn well for SSB/AM/FM. 33-128

They have a microphone element that is amazing for restoring an old Hi-Z mic. 270-090

KC2UGV
10-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Doesn't that make my point?

No, it proves that Joe Consumer is a moron. He wont buy a high-end sound, unless there's a buzzword:

* Oxygen Free Copper
* Maximum Current Acceleration
* Warm-response Copper
etc etc

Mid-to-high end products wouldn't even contemplate such non-sense, so Joe Consumer won't buy them.

KG4CGC
10-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Give Joe some credit. I've seen him learn some amazing things width the right training.

NQ6U
10-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Give Joe some credit. I've seen him learn some amazing things width the right training.

dat rite. dey tot me 2 drive big truk.

KC2UGV
10-31-2011, 12:04 PM

I'll admit, I have, but it took work. I fell for the CB-craze of buying 30KW capable mobile antennas, complete with mag mount, to get SWR's lower :)

KG4CGC
10-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Most of the time, Joe just doesn't know what's out there. It's part of the marketing scheme, I suspect. Just keep'um coming into Wally Wurld cause they won't know the difference.
Just like local programming designed to keep the locals secluded to their market area.

WØTKX
10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Monster Cables. Just sayin'. :lol:

n2ize
11-04-2011, 04:01 AM
The audiophools not only but special speaker wire they also spend hundreds of dollars on "cable cookers" to "condition and break in" new cables, including the AC cable. They even but special wiring to run through the walls to the equipment, special AC outlets, etc. They seem to forget about the power utility's wires. Is the utility running quality cable from the generator to the house ? have the transformers been "conditioned" for quality ?

W3MIV
11-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Twenty or so years back, we used to have a local music store near here named An die Musik (On Music). They had a boutique audio room loaded to the gills with hollow state gear (solid state stuff was anathema to the purists), much of which was really beautiful from a purely sculptural viewpoint. One brand, the name now escapes me, offered pre-amps with exposed tubes socketed into the top of the cabinet. The box itself was gun-metal in color and in the dimly lighted room (what else?) it was gorgeous. As I recall, Mcintosh was their low-end, economy line.

The guy tried to sell me a pair of pure silver speaker cables. They were twelve-gauge wire with teflon inner insulation that suspended the conductor like coax, while the outer wrap was carbon fibre braid. Each of the sixteen-foot cables sold for $12k. He insisted that you could hear the difference if your hearing, ego and pocketbook were sophisticated enough.

kf0rt
11-04-2011, 06:25 AM
http://transparentcable.com/index.html

And when you're done laughing over their price list, go here for the real deal:

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

ROFL this: http://audiophilereview.com/cables/interview-with-karen-sumner-of-transparent-audio.html

Love the comments:

I'm auditioning Transparent Audio Reference MM2 power cords in my system right now. Wow, so incredibly musical. Brings an ease and naturalness to the sound and music that is totally inviting and enjoyable.

"Auditioning" power cords? Really? Seriously?

N8YX
11-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Back on topic (slightly):

I'd say your well-thought-out post of elsewhere was met with a tad of bitterness.

We still picking on their staff?

Nope; didn't think so...just the idiot participants who make absolute fools of themselves then take exception to whomever points out their errors.

So...why the angst? Haterz gonna hate?

N8YX
11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
"Auditioning" power cords? Really? Seriously?

Go to one of the many bicycling forums and check out the fanboi antics within...

kf0rt
11-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Go to one of the many bicycling forums and check out the fanboi antics within...

Do they speak of "pulling the trigger?"

NQ6U
11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I send my mains power cords to Nunavut to be gummed by toothless Inuit women before I ever connect them to my audio equipment. You may not be sophisticated enough to be able to hear the difference but I can.

N8YX
11-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Do they speak of "pulling the trigger?"

Frequently. The guy with the longest, lightest and most expen$ive crank is also a discussion favorite.

KG4CGC
11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry that Radio Shack (b)rass is pulling out ... prematurely.