PDA

View Full Version : New flash....

W1GUH
10-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I've got stomach cancer.

The good news is...from the lab reports it appears localized and eminently treatable. AND, I'll be getting some of the finest care anywhere at Sloan-Kettering.

Whoever of you can find it in your heart, if you could send me some good energy, or, if you're a person who does such things, a prayer or two? I need all the help I can get!

NA4BH
10-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Consider the energy flowing from Alabama.

NQ6U
10-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Shit.

Sending as much good energy as I can possibly muster your way.

W1GUH
10-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks!!!

K7SGJ
10-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Your covered from Arizona. Glad you got it early. Hang tough.

kf0rt
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Dayum. Real sorry to hear that, Paul.

Tell ya a recent story, though (probably shouldn't).

My bro-in-law had stomach cancer. Wife's sister's husband and decent folk. His cancer ran the gamut and he had surgery, chemo and radiation. He told me that the worst of it was what the chemo does to mucus glands. Pooping and eating both HURT.

That's the bad news. The good news is that this guy was pushing 300 pounds going in and now weighs a healthy 180; seriously, he LOOKS 10 years younger today. The cancer is in total remission and it took less than a year.

Good vibes headed your way, of course.

W1GUH
10-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks! Heard a few good stories like that all week at work. And, yes, it DOES do wonders for your weight.

kf0rt
10-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks! Heard a few good stories like that all week at work. And, yes, it DOES do wonders for your weight.

From what I'm told, survival includes a new Harley. Life could suck worse. :)

W1GUH
10-27-2011, 08:03 PM
FWIW....if the tumor wasn't where it's creating an obstruction (esophagus-stomach junction), I still wouldn't know it's there. There are no other symptoms. My blood work came back 100% normal, so it seems that the only way to detect tumors that don't create a blockage is endoscopy.

In a way, I was lucky.

kf0rt
10-27-2011, 08:11 PM
FWIW....if the tumor wasn't where it's creating an obstruction (esophagus-stomach junction), I still wouldn't know it's there. There are no other symptoms. My blood work came back 100% normal, so it seems that the only way to detect tumors that don't create a blockage is endoscopy.

In a way, I was lucky.

But what are the real symptoms? That is, what made you think there was a problem? BIL tells me he had to fight for a diagnosis.

W1GUH
10-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Mucho discomfort swallowing. Food would go down to the junction then stick there. Sometimes it felt like I was trying to swallow and hiccup at the same time. Eventually what happened is that I ate too much too fast, it backed-up and triggered the "Old Faithul" reflex. First noticed it sometime in July -- but it was fleeting and temporary then. Last week it got to the point where it was time to check it out.

After a particularly bad bout I weighed myself & had lost 10 lbs in about a month. So...my liquid diet includes LOTS of milkshakes!

KC2UGV
10-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Here's to hoping it all pans out. I hear the best way to help ensure remission is to add an FT-2000 to your shack :)

W1GUH
10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Here's to hoping it all pans out. I hear the best way to help ensure remission is to add an FT-2000 to your shack :)

Naw...I'm going for a KWM-2 in the car!

W5GA
10-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry to hear this, Paul....Oklahoma is sending good vibes your way!

kf0rt
10-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Mucho discomfort swallowing. Food would go down to the junction then stick there. Sometimes it felt like I was trying to swallow and hiccup at the same time. Eventually what happened is that I ate too much too fast, it backed-up and triggered the "Old Faithul" reflex. First noticed it sometime in July -- but it was fleeting and temporary then. Last week it got to the point where it was time to check it out.

After a particularly bad bout I weighed myself & had lost 10 lbs in about a month. So...my liquid diet includes LOTS of milkshakes!

Whew. I'm a total sad sack physically, but no swallowing problems yet -- still work for CorpAm, afterall (that's a joke).

FWIW, Dairy Queen and Chick-fil-a both have great shakes. Island approved and the barkeep might have a suggestion or two.

Keep your head high, mon. You will survive!

WX7P
10-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Good luck to you.

You CAN beat this with good Docs, and positive vibe.

The best to you.

W4GPL
10-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Paul, all the best wishes from here. If you need anything (beyond our love & support), please do not hesitate to ask.

kc7jty
10-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Bummer on the news, keep that chin up and slay the beast within. Think positive.

PA5COR
10-28-2011, 02:08 AM
Consider energy flowing from over the pond too.
Conditions are good, allowing the full force reaching you.

Do everything possible to get better soon you hear?

VK3ZL
10-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Best wishes from Oz, Paul...

Bob..VK3ZL..

ad4mg
10-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Best wishes from here for your speedy recovery, Paul!

W3MIV
10-28-2011, 05:42 AM
A positive attitude and faith in your dox will see you through quickest. Wish you all the best from the suburbs of Insanity.

W3WN
10-28-2011, 09:06 AM
That's the last time I treat you (or anyone else) to a pre-Hamvention burger over in Station Square...

Hang in there.

KG4CGC
10-28-2011, 10:16 AM
You sound positive about it. Speedy Recovery!

n2ize
10-29-2011, 06:01 AM

In a way, I was lucky.

Sorry to hear this bad news. But you caught it early and modern procedures are very superb these days. I am sure you'll be cured fine.

Recently an uncle of mine was operated on for colon cancer. He had symptoms for a while. Bouts of vomiting, severe cramps, but he passed it off as bad diet. Finally he had to have it checked and they told him what it was. They operated, removed it and from what I have been told he is doing quite well now. The operation was right around the time of Hurricane Irene. He was in and out of the hospital in 2 days.

KK4AMI
10-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Get it fixed, Get Well and Get back on the air. Nothing but best wishes for you!

W1GUH
10-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks, everyone for the great words...It'd be a stretch to say I can actually feel the good wishes coming my way, but I know they're there. Again, thanks. Been out of town and on an internet moratorium....you'll hear about that in another post. Had a great time...now back to the WTF? Snow? In October!

suddenseer
10-29-2011, 02:22 PM

In a way, I was lucky.Paul, I HATE CANCER!!!
Almost 2 years ago, I was given similar news after a colonoscopy. The abnormal polyp tested malignant via biopsy. The gastro doc removed the associated area where the polyp was taken. To insure that no maverick live cancer cell escaped, I had to endure chemo, and radiation. Six months later, I had learned that the vanilla ensure made me vomit, and the chocolate stayed down.There were weeks that the cannabis really didn't work.

Fast forward 2 years, I am cancer free. Like you, I am lucky. Early detection usually leads to 95% cure rate. Since that time, one year ago my baby brother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was dealing with the painful symptoms for 6 months. At diagnosis, the cancer was in the third stage. He did not make it, He passed away a little over 6 months ago. 4793

This week, I found out my little sister has active cancer cells on her liver. The chemo treatments begin next week. I hate cancer. You, my sister, and myself are lucky. We found out early. Early detection makes all of the difference. There are other Islanders dealing with it as well, they know who they are.

Paul, you can do this. from a cancer survivor, and fellow Islander.

W1GUH
10-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Thank you!

W2NAP
10-29-2011, 05:00 PM
hope everything goes well mate

and yes snow in October