PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Globe Scout 65-A

WD4ICJ
10-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Had one of these as a kid. SWEET AM audio! Thought I had another one bought a couple of weeks ago, but it looks like I was scammed. (My own fault -- I saw the "red flags", but ignored them 'cause I wanted the rig so badly and the price was right.) So I'm looking again. Anybody willing to part with theirs? It'll have a real good new home with this nostalgic OM!
Ron Kocher, Palm Coast, FL WD4ICJ

NQ6U
10-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Sorry you got scammed, Ron. I will keep a lookout for one at the monthly swap meet. Do you have a price range?

WD4ICJ
10-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Can't go over $150 or so now that I've been scammed once already. Doesn't have to be really pretty, but must be fully functional, especially on AM.

By the way, is there any way I could "blacklist" the scammer on this site, so others know who NOT to do business with? I have his name and location, but won't post it without permission. Don't want to be guilty of a "personal attack".

ad4mg
10-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Can't go over $150 or so now that I've been scammed once already. Doesn't have to be really pretty, but must be fully functional, especially on AM.

By the way, is there any way I could "blacklist" the scammer on this site, so others know who NOT to do business with? I have his name and location, but won't post it without permission. Don't want to be guilty of a "personal attack".
We don't have a specific rule against personal attacks, Ron. The expectation here is that everyone acts like the adult they are, and they are treated as such. The staff very rarely steps in unless things get really out of hand.

Regarding the fellow who did you wrong, you may offer what you wish about this 'gentleman', but please keep it legal and accurate. If they happen to show up here on our shores, we will allow them the same opportunity. Our creed is that everyone arrives here with a clean slate, regardless of past history on other sites, and, within the few rules we have, may enjoy speaking his/her mind without fear of retaliation.

http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?14918-HamIsland-Forum-Rules

K7SGJ
10-28-2011, 07:23 AM

You're more apt to get into trouble if you DON'T tell us the story. And, if you don't have pix, it didn't happen. :-D

W3WN
10-28-2011, 02:57 PM

By the way, is there any way I could "blacklist" the scammer on this site, so others know who NOT to do business with? I have his name and location, but won't post it without permission. Don't want to be guilty of a "personal attack".The Feedback Forum on QTH.COM can give you some examples of how people have listed "problem" transactions, both good and bad.

Essentially, just tell us what happened. As Jack Webb would have put it, "just the facts, sir". Offhand, if you lay it out that "he posted this, I replied thus, then this happened, then that happened" it's not a personal attack. Now, if you decide to discuss his ancestry, or speculate on the marital status of his parents at the time of his conception... that might be a personal attack.

(JMHO as a grey haired beachcomber -- I am not a mod on the site, so you don't have to listen to me!)

WD4ICJ
10-30-2011, 11:36 PM
The following occured between 10/10 and 10/26/11:
1. I ran a "wanted" ad for a Globe Scout 65-A on the AM Fone site.
2. Scammer wrote me: "I have one. Looks good and works perfectly. Interested in buying?
3. Me: Yes! How much? Scammer: $100 Me: You have a deal. How do you want to be paid? I can do "Pay Pal", MO, or cashier's check. Scammer: Send money via a Western Union Money transfer. (RED FLAG #1! But I didn't listen)
4. Scammer sent me his name and address, ask for same from me , plus my phone number...I sent him name, addrss & phone, and asked for HIS phone number. (Didn't get it. RED FLAG #2! But I didn't listen.) I STILL don't have his phone number....but he got mine) 5. Scammer sent me a UPS form, stating that the item was "boxed" on 10/17/11, and tracking # would be provided upon receipt of $100. 6. Me - "How much for shipping? There was no shipping amount listed on the form." Scammer: "Shipping is $20. Total amount to send: $120." 7. I sent $120 via WU to the scammer's name and town. 8. Scammer: "I couldn't pick up the money because the WU control number is wrong". (RED FLAG #3! Once a scammer has the control number, he can collect the cash without an ID!!! I didn't know that before. I know now....but too late. Like a dumb ass, I sent the scammer the control number.) 9. Me to scammer: "Please let me know when Xmtr ships so I know when to expect it here. Also please send the UPS tracking number, and your phone number". Scammer: "Transmitter has been shipped, it should get to you anytime from now. Thanks" (NO UPS tracking number, and NO phone number sent.) 10: (about a week later) Me: "The transmitter has not arrived, it is long overdue. Please use the UPS tracking number and find out where it is, and advise." (Nothing heard from scammer since)

Scammer's name: (or one of them...) Leonard Chiddister
Address provided: 15531 Lago Vila, Tomball, TX 77377 (Yes, there really is a Tomball, TX!)
No phone # ever received, no UPS tracking # ever recieved, no ham call letters, no Xmtr ever received....the money's gone. Watch out for this guy! Thanks for your help, and for letting me post this. Ron Kocher, Palm Coast, FL

WØTKX
10-31-2011, 12:31 AM
http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-284078.html?

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=268134&Messages=5

K7SGJ
10-31-2011, 08:49 AM
2. Scammer wrote me: "I have one. Looks good and works perfectly. Interested in buying?
3. Me: Yes! How much? Scammer: $100 Me: You have a deal. How do you want to be paid? I can do "Pay Pal", MO, or cashier's check. Scammer: Send money via a Western Union Money transfer. (RED FLAG #1! But I didn't listen)
4. Scammer sent me his name and address, ask for same from me , plus my phone number...I sent him name, addrss & phone, and asked for HIS phone number. (Didn't get it. RED FLAG #2! But I didn't listen.) I STILL don't have his phone number....but he got mine) 5. Scammer sent me a UPS form, stating that the item was "boxed" on 10/17/11, and tracking # would be provided upon receipt of $100. 6. Me - "How much for shipping? There was no shipping amount listed on the form." Scammer: "Shipping is $20. Total amount to send: $120." 7. I sent $120 via WU to the scammer's name and town. 8. Scammer: "I couldn't pick up the money because the WU control number is wrong". (RED FLAG #3! Once a scammer has the control number, he can collect the cash without an ID!!! I didn't know that before. I know now....but too late. Like a dumb ass, I sent the scammer the control number.) 9. Me to scammer: "Please let me know when Xmtr ships so I know when to expect it here. Also please send the UPS tracking number, and your phone number". Scammer: "Transmitter has been shipped, it should get to you anytime from now. Thanks" (NO UPS tracking number, and NO phone number sent.) 10: (about a week later) Me: "The transmitter has not arrived, it is long overdue. Please use the UPS tracking number and find out where it is, and advise." (Nothing heard from scammer since)

Address provided: 15531 Lago Vila, Tomball, TX 77377 (Yes, there really is a Tomball, TX!)
No phone # ever received, no UPS tracking # ever recieved, no ham call letters, no Xmtr ever received....the money's gone. Watch out for this guy! Thanks for your help, and for letting me post this. Ron Kocher, Palm Coast, FL

It would be great if every ham that had an issue with a transaction would present the facts like you did. Well done.

W1GUH
10-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Yes. Very well done AND a great education about those red flags, a couple of which I didn't know. Sorry about the scam -- here's hoping a great deal opens up for you; you deserve a happy ending.

Yep....Globe Scouts have sweet AM. Heard many of them back in the day.

Thanks for the lesson!

K7NUT
11-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Had one of these as a kid. SWEET AM audio! Thought I had another one bought a couple of weeks ago, but it looks like I was scammed. (
Ron Kocher, Palm Coast, FL WD4ICJ
Ron, I can now FINALLY "reply"! Just a thought, if you want people to "bite" your bait, you need to put your contact info in your post so we/I don't have to "join" this forum to respond, just a thought!?
I'm in the process of selling gear from a "Silent Key" and I might have what your talking about, however I do not know much about it?
This is the "link" to my web site and the page with the gear, however, I just brought the last of the stuff home last night(11/10), it's all Hollow State gear.

http://www.mcallisterdrywall.com/Radio/Radio Gear.html

I will get the other stuff on there once I get time.
Ron, could you give me a call, let's see if this thing is what your thinking of?

Geoff

www.mcallisterdrywall.com (http://www.mcallisterdrywall.com)

K7SGJ
11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Hey, it's a nice forum with great people. Welcome to the shores. Barkeep, how bout a welcome umbrella for Geoff? Something to settle the drywall dust.

W3WN
11-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Ron, I can now FINALLY "reply"! Just a thought, if you want people to "bite" your bait, you need to put your contact info in your post so we/I don't have to "join" this forum to respond, just a thought!?
I'm in the process of selling gear from a "Silent Key" and I might have what your talking about, however I do not know much about it?
This is the "link" to my web site and the page with the gear, however, I just brought the last of the stuff home last night(11/10), it's all Hollow State gear.
http://www.mcallisterdrywall.com/Radio/Radio Gear.html
I will get the other stuff on there once I get time.
Ron, could you give me a call, let's see if this thing is what your thinking of?
Geoff
www.mcallisterdrywall.com (http://www.mcallisterdrywall.com)Welcome, Geoff. Tell the barkeep the first umbrella drink is on my tab!

Just looked over the list of items. FWIW, I think your asking prices are quite reasonable. I'll PM you about one item in particular.

W3WN
11-11-2011, 02:03 PM

No phone # ever received, no UPS tracking # ever recieved, no ham call letters, no Xmtr ever received....the money's gone. Watch out for this guy! Thanks for your help, and for letting me post this. Ron Kocher, Palm Coast, FLIf you have not posted this on the QTH Feedback Forum, you should.

You will get a few miscreants who will chide you for missing the red flags, just ignore them. They're just tire-kickers anyway. Or tire-biters, but that's another story.

NQ6U
11-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Ron, I can now FINALLY "reply"! Just a thought, if you want people to "bite" your bait, you need to put your contact info in your post so we/I don't have to "join" this forum to respond

Why do you have a problem with joining this forum? We stopped throwing virgins into the volcano not long after the missionaries arrived.

K7SGJ
11-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah, but when you finished with them, they were no longer virgins. And the volcano Gods are pissed.

KG4CGC
11-12-2011, 12:33 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/636685dd.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/mini-TKB89339.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/tequila.jpg

K7NUT
11-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Why do you have a problem with joining this forum? We stopped throwing virgins into the volcano not long after the missionaries arrived.

First, I'm already a "member" of many forums, not to say there's anything wrong with this one, I just don't need to hang out on another one...?

Second, more importantly, if someone where to "Google" an item, I don't know, say there trying to sell radio gear for a "silent key" or something, this site might be a hit, but, because there's no contact info in the post RE: the item they were searching for, joining would be the only way one could say, "hey, I think I have one of those"!
You see what I mean?
I guess it's a moot point, It looks like Ron joined to inquire about the radio, then bailed. He might get back to me someday, but I sure am curious if this is the radio he is looking for?
I can't believe the dust these old "hollow state" radios are stirring up!? :)

NUT

N8YX
11-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I can't believe the dust these old "hollow state" radios are stirring up!? :)

NUT
I can.

Ever see what late-model Collins stuff fetches?

How about a nice SR2000 + VFO and P/S?

Those rigs along with a select few others of the tube era represent the pinnacle of technology for their day, and they're user-serviceable to boot. Much like the solid-state Swan/Cubic, Drake and select Japanese offerings of the 80s and early 90s.

Game-changer for most was the introduction of SMT. I'm set up to work on the stuff and can get access to any rework equipment I don't have...but how many other hams can make that claim, especially the newcomer who doesn't hail from an electronics background? Depending on the problem at hand, most tube and through-hole constructs can be diagnosed and repaired by the electronics neophyte but micro-miniature SMT is a whole 'nother animal...particularly where high-density PGA devices are concerned.

The trend in the entire electronics industry has been that of "blow-it-and-throw-it" for some time now - but an old Hallicrafters, Drake, Collins or Hammarlund was built to be serviceable and usable. And many rigs of the bygone day still hear and talk just as well as their state-of-the-art counterparts, albeit getting by without such niceties as memories, synthesizers and whatnot.