PDA

View Full Version : First bicycle mobile contact

N8YX
10-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Threw the VX-7R on my Rockhopper this evening, put 'DSG in front of one of our FT-726Rs and hit the Ohio-Erie Towpath Trail on 2M simplex as an experiment to see how far the thing could reach.

I got as far north as downtown Akron (Summit Lake Park) before turning around and heading back. At that point, HT signals were S5-S9 on the '726R and Nicki was almost full scale on the VX-7R's S-meter. Power used was 5w (HT) and 10w (base).

Next step is to build a mount for a dedicated mobile antenna and attach it to the rear rack, though the Diamond tri-band whip gave a good account of itself.

Bike pictured on the Summit Lake floating towpath bridge, just as night was falling...and the rain was beginning. Rode the final 7 miles home in total darkness and misty rain, but the Planet Bike headlights did their thing and illuminated the trail rather well.

KC2UGV
10-26-2011, 07:13 PM
A 45 degree mirror bracket would work for the upper chain stay... But, who am I to give advice, as I've got no luck thus far for bicycle mobile :(

N8YX
10-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Check this out:

http://www.universalcycles.com/images//products/medium/44185.jpg

See the taillight mount tab? It has four holes which could be used to attach a bracket. My thoughts are to make one from 1"x1" angle aluminum. The leftmost side will extend a slight bit past the outer edge of the pannier frame, while the rightmost side will be a few inches longer. A threaded BNC female will pass through a hole drilled in the right side horizontal part of the bracket. Antenna to radio coupling will be via a length of RG316 coax, terminated with an SMA connector. (I'm trying to keep this thing as light as possible.)

That bracket will be mounted vertical side rearward and I'm planning to drill three sets of holes in it: A central set for the Topeak taillight mount (which currently accommodates a Blackburn Flea) and two sets flanking the taillight mount, for red reflector attachment.

Key is going to be finding the right BNC/coax/SMA combo. I have one that's around 3 feet - and that's 3 feet too short. Hopefully one or two will turn up at the Massillon Hamfest this weekend.

KC2UGV
10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
I might have to give the Topeak mount another look... I never noticed that, I just though,"Put the tail light there!"

Hm...

N8YX
10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
I might have to give the Topeak mount another look... I never noticed that, I just though,"Put the tail light there!"

Hm...
Hot Tip:

If you use the Topeak top bags, glue a thin strip of rubber on the vertical edge of the yellow plastic latch - where it contacts the rack. Some users have complained theirs rattle while underway, and one reviewer stated that his bag divorced itself from the rack and "...disintegrated..." (uh huh).

We have two and I am looking to get a third, the model which holds an extra water bottle at its rear.

Both of us really like these racks. I have a seat-post mount version for my Camber - which is currently on 'DSG's new Rockhopper, on loan until her frame mount Super Tourist arrives.

N7YA
10-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Thats cool!

My first bicycle mobile was with Bud, the creator of Buddi-pole. He was peddling down the beach in Jamaica using one of his inventions.

On a side note, i like working bike mobiles because i chuckle like a 5th grader every time they sign with "/BM".....hehehuhuhehuh....BM.....thats poo. :bbh:

KC2UGV
10-28-2011, 07:57 AM
I've got to remember that suffix. I didn't realize cyclists have one :)

N8YX
10-28-2011, 09:26 AM
How much does an FT-817 weigh, and is there a Bluetooth headset option for it? May not be able to put out much of a signal on 15M and lower from a bike but it just might work on the higher bands.

N7YA
10-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I've got to remember that suffix. I didn't realize cyclists have one :)

I wasnt sure what it was either. I was guessing it was some interim Chinese call, i liked what it turned out to be better. Before that, i worked a W station signing /PM, pedestrian mobile. He was hiking on a volcano with a backpack rig, ive heard him numerous times and thats just how he rolls. I say good on him!

N8YX
11-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Second and third /BM contacts:

Worked AC6EA (a member of IoMH) and KC8ZKI on 2M while out on a ride today.

Both are locals and also hang out on 28.337. Now if only there was a way to fit a decent 10M rig, power supply and antenna to the bike...without having the setup weigh as much as the bike itself!

N7YA
11-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Two more than me! Nice job...could be a healthy trend starting here. Hams arent known for this. :lol:

K7SGJ
11-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Wonder what the WABM certificate would look like?

N8YX
11-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Wonder what the WABM certificate would look like?
Good question.

I'm scheming...thinking about getting hold of an FT-8900 and putting up a WIRES Node for the area towpath riders. So far, I've been solid "back to the base" from 10 miles away with just a handlebar-mounted HT and Diamond triband whip. Put a dedicated 6/2/440 omni on the forthcoming tower; once installed, such a setup should afford coverage for the Summit and Stark County portions of that trail - possibly into southern Cuyahoga County too.

N8YX
11-14-2011, 08:18 PM
For anyone wanting to mount an HT or cellphone to their bicycle or motorcycle handlebars, look what I found:

http://www.arkon.com/bicycle_handlebar_mount.php

Last week I crafted a mirror/HT/light/accessory mount which goes on and off the bike's bars in about 15 seconds and lets you take all your accessories with you. It was necessary to fabricate such a contraption because we run a set of "trekking" bars on our trail bikes and there's simply no good way to mount a mirror on an inward-curving bar end.

Problem solved and pix forthcoming. But not tonight - it's thunderstorming here and I'm not going out to the garage in it!

N8YX
11-21-2011, 09:43 AM
The southern section of our area's trail is finally open. Open enough so that a rider doesn't have to portage his or her bicycle across the random creek, ditch or unfinished earthwork which was an omnipresent feature of the trail for most of the summer.

Prior to Saturday, the furthest south we had gone was about five miles from my doorstep. I decided to push this a bit and see how far south I could get before oncoming weather and darkness forced me to turn around and head back north. Picture below is at the Erie St. trailhead, which is approximately one mile north of downtown Canal Fulton.

Bill and other Island railfans might be interested to know that this stop is located about two miles east of "Warwick", a very active CSX interchange. The VX7R was set to our local simplex frequency along with CSX's main road channel, and the latter was quite busy throughout the day. I heard the equipment defect detector at milepost 148 - which is something my listening post has a bit of difficulty with, due to a large hill in the middle of the radio wave path.