PDA

View Full Version : The TR-3 performed flawlessly on it's maiden cruise.

W1GUH
10-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Took it out on the road today. Had done all the tests possible on the bench. Put in the new power cable (8 Ga, powerpoles all the way), hooked up the DC4, hooked up the rig and it worked!

First reaction...WOW, just fuckin' WOW that's one GOOD sounding radio. Deserves another WOW! Dunno is it's superior filters, superior circuitry, hollow-state, lack of any synthesizer or all of the above, but the sound is smooth as silk and pure gold!

Both ways -- got great audio reports from all over the NE.

OK...gotta qualify "flawlessly." What that means is that no new problems were introduced by putting it in the car and transmitting for longer than just testing on the bench.

The PTO does drift and also has a propensity to jump about a kc. Here's hoping that the jumping is the usual grounds that need to be fixed up and the drift wasn't really there -- just how I was tuning guys. I've noticed this on the bench, so this wasn't a surprise.

But I was lucky in that the guys I hooked up with were really nice and were really great about reporting those to me. Except for that they said it really sounded good. Super!

K7SGJ
10-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Good show. Worked on a few of those several years back. When aligned and tuned it's a nice rig.

W1GUH
10-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Just learned over on the 'zed that that radio has LC filters, not crystal. That goes a long way to explain the great sound.

KC2UGV
10-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Boat anchor (Of some sort) will be my next rig purchase... Nice writeup, and keep us posted on how it's working out.

N8YX
10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Now if they only made cars these days whose dash size and style could easily accommodate a rig such as that. Heck, I would even settle for being able to mount a '440S in mine!

Nice to hear that Drake is still doing its thing.

W1GUH
10-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Sure is after lo, these almost 50 years. Don't know if the tubes are original or not, but the output power is around 150 watts, give or take the error in my meter.

As for room in a car for it, it's been my experience that it's not a good idea to have both a radio AND a non-radio friend in the car at the same time. Unless any passenger is really into radio, they HATE the radio there.

And, if I'm solo in the car, there's PLENTY of room in the passenger seat!

Oh...and, as usual, I plugged the headphone output into the car sound system. Not only the best, but the ONLY "speaker" for a mobile.

Jeff K1NSS
10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Forgot there was such a thing, my mind defaults to TR-4, for all the radio catalogs my eyes wore out. Pretty cool, that snappy squared-off two tone look. One Kc analog readout, jeeze. Keep 'em flying!

W1GUH
10-23-2011, 06:42 PM
The TR-4 corrected some operating flaws in the TR-3. Specifically, the TR-3 has no PTT on AM nor break-in on CW. The '4 fixed that. Also, the TR-4 has a relative output meter -- makes tune-up a lot easier. The plate current meter in the TR-3 is so undamped, ya gotta leave the carrier on for an excessive length of time waiting for it to settle down.

Back in 8-land we wanted to run a TR-3 in a TR-3 and do 75 on 75 on 75!

W1GUH
10-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Only hassle today is that I have no hand mic that works with that radio, so I couldn't do mobile in motion. Used the amplified desk mic that came with it. NOT something to do in a car -- damn inconvenient.

WØTKX
10-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Nice Grille! Ooops, wrong thread. :mrgreen:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/triumph-sports-cars-39.jpg

FB on the other kind of TR-3.

W1GUH
10-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I should download that and photo-shop the radio onto or into it!

NQ6U
10-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey, now that I'm working again, I'll soon be able to afford to recap the HV power supply for my T-4X and get it on the air. Maybe we can have a Drake-to-Drake QSO.

WØTKX
10-23-2011, 07:16 PM
That sounds quackers...

http://www.stanfordterraceinn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/19-duck_1.jpg

W1GUH
10-23-2011, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Z2MP8vMWU

But a Drake to Drake -- you KNOW that'd be great. Let's go for it!

KG4CGC
10-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Good to see the old Drake still cutting the mustard.
Now, as for, Drake to Drake ... Isn't that a gay duck thing?

W1GUH
10-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey, now that I'm working again, I'll soon be able to afford to recap the HV power supply for my T-4X and get it on the air. Maybe we can have a Drake-to-Drake QSO.

If that's an AC-4, this guy (http://www.theheathkitshop.com/page7/page7.html)sells a really good replacement kit to do just that. That's how I did my AC-3 & it's really good. He seems like a really good guy, too. Enjoy!

W1GUH
10-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Good to see the old Drake still cutting the mustard.
Now, as for, Drake to Drake ... Isn't that a gay duck thing?

GMTA!

NQ6U
10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
If that's an AC-4, this guy (http://www.theheathkitshop.com/page7/page7.html)sells a really good replacement kit to do just that. That's how I did my AC-3 & it's really good. He seems like a really good guy, too. Enjoy!

Yep, that's exactly what I plan on using. The kit for the AC-4 is about $60.

W1GUH
10-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Hope you can do that while 10 is wide-open. Our best bet with my PW mobile.

ka4dpo
10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
I seem to remember you asking some questions about running the TR-3 mobile a while back. Glad it worked out so well. I traded in a mint KWM-2 on a brand new TR4CW/RIT, best deal I ever made. The Drake worked circles around the Collins rig especially on CW. I still have a really nice B-line that I plan to keep and the LC selectivity circuits really do sound nice.

I hope I can work you on it, that would be awesome. What band/bands do you operate mobile?

w2amr
10-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Took it out on the road today. Had done all the tests possible on the bench. Put in the new power cable (8 Ga, powerpoles all the way), hooked up the DC4, hooked up the rig and it worked!

First reaction...WOW, just fuckin' WOW that's one GOOD sounding radio. Deserves another WOW! Dunno is it's superior filters, superior circuitry, hollow-state, lack of any synthesizer or all of the above, but the sound is smooth as silk and pure gold!

Both ways -- got great audio reports from all over the NE.

OK...gotta qualify "flawlessly." What that means is that no new problems were introduced by putting it in the car and transmitting for longer than just testing on the bench.

The PTO does drift and also has a propensity to jump about a kc. Here's hoping that the jumping is the usual grounds that need to be fixed up and the drift wasn't really there -- just how I was tuning guys. I've noticed this on the bench, so this wasn't a surprise.

But I was lucky in that the guys I hooked up with were really nice and were really great about reporting those to me. Except for that they said it really sounded good. Super!
Good Show, Congrats.:clap: It's always a great feeling bringing one back from the dead.

W1GUH
10-24-2011, 04:36 PM
I seem to remember you asking some questions about running the TR-3 mobile a while back. Glad it worked out so well. I traded in a mint KWM-2 on a brand new TR4CW/RIT, best deal I ever made. The Drake worked circles around the Collins rig especially on CW. I still have a really nice B-line that I plan to keep and the LC selectivity circuits really do sound nice.

I hope I can work you on it, that would be awesome. What band/bands do you operate mobile?

I can do all "regular" bands. Haven't found a 60m antenna yet, and haven't been able to successfully tune a 17m antenna yet.

Casually, I usually stay on 40 for the services...ECARS & MIDCARS.

Still looking for a KWM-2 myself. Ah, I'll eventually see one.

W1GUH
10-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Good Show, Congrats.:clap: It's always a great feeling bringing one back from the dead.

It's what I like doing best with radios. Well, second after meeting great hams on the air.