PDA

View Full Version : TV repair help

W3MPS
10-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Today I stumbled across a Panasonic TH42PX60U Plasma TV someone was throwing out. I proceeded to look both ways to make sure no one was watching, then liberated it from the dumpster.

After delving into the matter, it turns out that the power supply took a dump. For $35.00 I can get a kit that has the needed components to fix the power supply.

Are there any special precautions I should take while attempting my repair? Besides the usual anti static precautions, don't get zapped, be gentle de-soldering and soldering.... so forth and so on.

And why do they find it necessary to put the back panel on with a hundred screws??? My Phillips screw driver got put down in favor of my 1/4" drive air ratchet, FTW!
It was a little loud, yet so much faster.

kf0rt
10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
No special precautions -- static control is nice and remember how you got it apart so you can get it back together.

BUT, I'm thinking plasma sets need to stay upright...?

Did a power supply repair on a 46" Samsung LCD some time ago; pretty easy.

KJ3N
10-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Plasma TVs are notorious for RFI, BTW.

W3MPS
10-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Cool, thank you. It sounds like this will be my project for next week. I'm not too terribly concerned about RFI at the moment. Playing with the radio has taken a back seat to more mundane pursuits such as work and wrapping up my degree.

ka8ncr
11-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Check every capacitor and every piece of silicon.

W3MPS
11-12-2011, 05:45 PM
The TV has been up and running for a week now. After replacing a transistor, a resistor, and two fuses I can watch standard definition signals on my HD TV.

Guess I'll have to upgrade to an HD reciever now.