PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Ray dog food

kc7jty
10-19-2011, 12:59 AM

We're talking "Super Premium" here folks. Thank god the chicken and veggies are real.

W3MIV
10-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Hey, if anyone should know about dog food, it is Rachel Ray.

KC2UGV
10-19-2011, 06:40 AM

We're talking "Super Premium" here folks. Thank god the chicken and veggies are real.

I think I'll stick with Beneful Weight Control lol

W3WN
10-19-2011, 08:48 AM
But... but... how do you use an Electrolux on already prepared dog food?

Seriously, I don't think most dogs know the difference. And yes, I know that there is cheap crap peddled as nutrious pet food... but gourmet? C'mon.

kf0rt
10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
I think I'll stick with Beneful Weight Control lol

That's 1-star crap -- expensive and not real good for your dog. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/beneful-dog-food-dry/

Much better (and cheaper) -- get the store brand from Costco. :yes:

ETA: The Rachel Ray stuff comes in at 2 stars, Kirkland at 4.

W3MIV
10-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Not having any dog around the house comes in at five stars. ;)

KC2UGV
10-19-2011, 09:24 AM
That's 1-star crap -- expensive and not real good for your dog. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/beneful-dog-food-dry/

Much better (and cheaper) -- get the store brand from Costco. :yes:

ETA: The Rachel Ray stuff comes in at 2 stars, Kirkland at 4.

I'll have to talk to my vet. It's what he recommended (As did the Erie County SPCA).

kf0rt
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Gets my vote. Srsly.

kf0rt
10-19-2011, 10:14 AM
I'll have to talk to my vet. It's what he recommended (As did the Erie County SPCA).

Be interested in what the vet says. We don't/do have a dog (wtf, long story), but seem to be the family petsitters and watch my dad's Greyhound sometimes. Greyhound was eating Beneful because that's what his "rescue home" was feeding him. Breath that would knock a buzzard off a shitwagon. In researching the breath thing, I mentioned the Beneful to a bunch of Greyhound "experts" and was subsequently handed my ass for "feeding that crap to a perfectly good dog." Had nothing to do with his breath, though...

W3WN
10-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Be interested in what the vet says. We don't/do have a dog (wtf, long story), but seem to be the family petsitters and watch my dad's Greyhound sometimes. Greyhound was eating Beneful because that's what his "rescue home" was feeding him. Breath that would knock a buzzard off a shitwagon. In researching the breath thing, I mentioned the Beneful to a bunch of Greyhound "experts" and was subsequently handed my ass for "feeding that crap to a perfectly good dog." Had nothing to do with his breath, though...Our old mutt suffered with major itching and scratching issues as he got older. Spoke with the vet, she said it sounded like an allergy problem. She recommended a change from the supermarket-sold variety to one that was carried at a local pet supply store. Cost a little bit more, but within 2 weeks, the itching & scratching stopped.

This seemst to be a common problem with many commercial (especially highly advertised) products.

KC2UGV
10-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Our old mutt suffered with major itching and scratching issues as he got older. Spoke with the vet, she said it sounded like an allergy problem. She recommended a change from the supermarket-sold variety to one that was carried at a local pet supply store. Cost a little bit more, but within 2 weeks, the itching & scratching stopped.

This seemst to be a common problem with many commercial (especially highly advertised) products.

Corn allergy most likely. Many dogs have it, and most all supermarket brands have it in there, whereas higher-end pet store varieties don't.

kb2vxa
10-19-2011, 02:03 PM
GOURMET pet food? FOO! Does anybody actually taste this stuff in order to rate it or maybe they gauge the reactions of finicky pampered pooches?

Evelyn, a modified dog
Viewed the quivering fringe of a special doily
Draped across the piano, with some surprise

In the darkened room
Where the chairs dismayed
And the horrible curtains
Muffled the rain
She could hardly believe her eyes

A curious breeze
A garlic breath
Which sounded like a snore
Somewhere near the Steinway (or even from within)
Had caused the doily fringe to waft & tremble in the gloom

Evelyn, a dog, having undergone
Further modification
Pondered the significance of short-person behavior
In pedal-depressed panchromatic resonance
And other highly ambient domains . . .

Arf she said.

kc7jty
10-19-2011, 05:01 PM
BINGO!
we have a winner

KG4CGC
10-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Who decides what pet food flavors are good? Cats lick their butts and dogs do the same. Hell, just make it all Butt Flavor.

ki4itv
10-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Further modification

Arf she said.
:lol:

The poodle bites! (come on, frenchie)
The poodle chews it! (snap it!)

KG4CGC
10-19-2011, 05:29 PM

kf0rt
10-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Most dogs don't really care what they eat. If you own a dog, it's up to you.

n2ize
10-19-2011, 07:54 PM

I like dogs and cats but I don't miss the headache with having them as pets.

n2ize
10-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Most dogs don't really care what they eat. If you own a dog, it's up to you.

Any dog I have ever seen vacuum's up its food.

kf0rt
10-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Any dog I have ever seen vacuum's up its food.

The one dog we had... German Shepherd / Black Lab mix... spent his whole life eating Purina Dog Chow and table scraps. Lived to be 13 (not bad for a big dog).

Love dogs, but doubt I'll do that again. House dog here is a little Pom (not mine; wouldn't have it).

We have a dog at work; surprised it's allowed. Co-worker who brings his dog in every day. Kinda makes work worth it.

WØTKX
10-19-2011, 09:41 PM
GOURMET pet food? FOO! Does anybody actually taste this stuff in order to rate it or maybe they gauge the reactions of finicky pampered pooches?

Further modification

Arf she said.

Setlist from Zappa Plays Zappa, Paramount Theater. Denver, 8/27/2011.

No Evelyn, but it was AMAZING. Dweezil has put together a great band, doing poppa's music.

And they make it their own, especially with the jams. No shit, you must see them if you can!

1 Cletus Awreetus Awrightus
2 Cheepnis
3 Fifty Fifty
4 Pojama People
5 Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
6 Dancin' Fool - SEGUE
7 City Of Tiny Lites - DZ, Scheila
8 Big Swifty - Ben, Pete, JOE, Jamie - Set length
9 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
10 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
11 St Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast - SEGUE
12 ROLLO

I loved hearing Pojama People:

Some people's hot
Some people's cold
Some people's not very
Swift to behold
Some people do it
Some see right through it
Some wear pyjamas
If only they knew it

The pyjamas people are boring me to pieces
They make me feel like I am wasting my time
They all got flannel up 'n down 'em
A little trap-door back aroun' 'em
An' some cozy little footies on their mind

Po-jama people!
Po-jama people, people!
Lawd, they make you sleepy
With the things they might say

Po-jama people!
Po-jama people, people!
Mother, Mary 'n Jozuf, wish they'd all go away!

Po-jama people!
It's a po-jama people special...
Take one home with you & save a dollar today

Po-jama people!
Po-jama people, people!
Wrap 'em up
Roll 'em out
Get 'em out of my way

KC2UGV
10-20-2011, 07:43 AM

I don't know about the vendors of the food, but I sample my pet's food prior to feeding it to them (Except the snake, but it's hard to fuck up frozen mice). If I wouldn't eat it, why should I expect my animals (Dog and multiple rats, both of which have subsisted on human food for hundreds of centuries) to eat it?

K7SGJ
10-20-2011, 09:44 AM
We have had dogs forever, and wouldn't be without them. (Lots of other critters, too.) We usually have 4 or so, and they love to run the property. Recently, we just lost one, and will be losing another in the near future. For us, that is a very difficult time. Especially when we bring them home for the last time and put them to rest in a special place I am sure they would enjoy. I certainly would. For us, they become a part of the family, and strong bonds and unconditional love is exchanged over many years. I'm sure that at some time in the near future, we will go to the shelter and adopt a couple more in need of a home. As long as we have the space for them to run, and we are physically able to care for them, they will always be welcome at our place.

ETA We have always fed them the food from Sam's club. If we try to change to anything else, the dogs seem to have all sorts of problems.

K7SGJ
10-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Dupe

n2ize
10-20-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't know about the vendors of the food, but I sample my pet's food prior to feeding it to them (Except the snake, but it's hard to fuck up frozen mice). If I wouldn't eat it, why should I expect my animals (Dog and multiple rats, both of which have subsisted on human food for hundreds of centuries) to eat it?

I would taste my pets food before I feed it to them but somehow tubifex worms and moquito larvae don't set well with me. :lol:

KC2UGV
10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
I would taste my pets food before I feed it to them but somehow tubifex worms and moquito larvae don't set well with me. :lol:

Come on! Tubifex worms taste great! Also, they make for cool videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-VDk61ayz8

NQ6U
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM

And then there are the dung beetles...