PDA

View Full Version : WARNING Ohio! Bring In Your Pets!

KG4CGC
10-18-2011, 11:45 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml

(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml)ZANESVILLE, Ohio - Dozens of animals escaped Tuesday from a wild-animal preserve that houses bears, big cats and other beasts, and the owner later was found dead there, said police, who shot several of the animals and urged nearby residents to stay indoors. (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml)
(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml)As a result of the breakout, several schools near the preserve have canceled classes Wednesday, reports (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml)CBS 10-TV (http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/10/18/zanesville-exotic-animals-escape.html). (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml)
(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml)The fences had been left unsecured at the Muskingum County Animal Farm in Zanesville, in east-central Ohio, and the animals' cages were open, police said. They wouldn't say what animals escaped but said the preserve had lions, wolves, tigers, giraffes, camels and bears. They said bears and wolves were among 25 animals that had been shot and killed and there were multiple sightings of exotic animals along a nearby highway. (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml)
(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml)"These are wild animals that you would see on TV in Africa," Sheriff Matt Lutz warned at a press conference. (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/18/national/main20122339.shtml)
quote unquote

NA4BH
10-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Lions, tigers, and bears.

How would the Sheriff know what they show on TV in Africa? LOL

KG4CGC
10-19-2011, 12:40 AM
I would imagine the cats would head south while the bears would just look for woods. Then there were wolves too.

NA4BH
10-19-2011, 12:43 AM
The bears gotta poop, you know.

KG4CGC
10-19-2011, 12:44 AM
The Pope does too.

n2ize
10-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Lions, tigers, and bears.

Oh my !!

suddenseer
10-19-2011, 04:29 AM
That is down in Hank's area. Our teapublican majority gave us a new open law that gets the government out of Ohioan's lives. Now, anyone can own any exotic animal. Gone are the licenses that required proof of the ability to care for them, and keep them safely from getting into adjoining properties. Since the government is out of our lives, these stories are almost a weekly event here. The cops around here where i live are now forced to go hunt for panthers, and lions that escaped from city town houses. Teapublicans cannot see beyond their asscrack. They assume there will be plenty of police funds to take on the new role of local game wardens. I guess they think Obamacare will pay for injuries that a wild animal can inflict on a person.

kb2crk
10-19-2011, 06:21 AM
All the cages were open and the owner was dead. sound like Peta might be involved? no news on the owner at all except he was found dead. A dead man cant open all the cages.

KK4AMI
10-19-2011, 07:57 AM
All the cages were open and the owner was dead. sound like Peta might be involved? no news on the owner at all except he was found dead. A dead man cant open all the cages.

The owner had some felony firearms issues. They think he might have opened the cages then committed suicide. Of course he might have served as a parting snack for the recently released residents.

N8YX
10-19-2011, 08:15 AM
We got this covered, though I don't agree with killing the animals outright. Tranq 'em and ship to one of the many wildlife shelters which have been built to deal with the results of irresponsible owners.

K7SGJ
10-19-2011, 08:23 AM
We got this covered, though I don't agree with killing the animals outright. Tranq 'em and ship to one of the many wildlife shelters which have been built to deal with the results of irresponsible owners.

Nah. Makes too much sense, and that's waaay too humane.

suddenseer
10-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Since anyone can now legally purchase a wild animal (cause it's soooo cute). These kind of reports will continue here in Ohio. The little zoo owner in question obviously had the means to comply with the old law. People that live around Hara Arena do not.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/black-leopard-sightings-still-being-reported-1243913.html

NQ6U
10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Tranq 'em and ship to one of the many wildlife shelters which have been built to deal with the results of irresponsible owners.

You're talking about tranqing the irresponsible owners, right? Not a bad idea but how about the Teabaggers who changed the law to allow ownership of exotic animals in the first place? Should not the same thing be done with them?

NQ6U
10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
The Pope does too.

Hey, that's none of your business. And, BTW, it smells like frankincense and myrrh.

—Pope Carlo I

suddenseer
10-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I should have been more clear. The present teapublican Ohio Guvnah John Kaisik(sic) allowed a ban on exotic animals by previous govnah Ted Strickland to expire. This was a decree, not legislature, therefore had a drop dead date without the next Guvnah's conformation. Kaisck(sic), with the approval of the teapublican majority allowed the ban to be lifted. The small zoo incident would not have been prevented because it was legal before the ban and grandfathered in. However, my previous post mentioned the fact that a panther is on the loose northwest of Dayton. Kaisisck clearly should have maintained the ban to stop this kind of mishap in the future.
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/10/exotic-animal-ban-resurfaces-as.html

W3WN
10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
All the cages were open and the owner was dead. sound like Peta might be involved? no news on the owner at all except he was found dead. A dead man cant open all the cages.That was my first thought too, especially considering PETA's recent track record.

News reports now claim that the owner set the poor critters free and then took his own life.

And the saddest part is that the public safety officials (ie cops) were told to shoot to kill rather than take any risks, since they don't know how wild the released exotic animals are. So between those shot on sight and those that have been traffic fatalities (at least one or two), the poor critters don't stand much of a chance.

W3WN
10-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I should have been more clear. The present teapublican Ohio Guvnah John Kaisik(sic) allowed a ban on exotic animals by previous govnah Ted Strickland to expire. This was a decree, not legislature, therefore had a drop dead date without the next Guvnah's conformation. Kaisck(sic), with the approval of the teapublican majority allowed the ban to be lifted. The small zoo incident would not have been prevented because it was legal before the ban and grandfathered in. However, my previous post mentioned the fact that a panther is on the loose northwest of Dayton. Kaisisck clearly should have maintained the ban to stop this kind of mishap in the future.
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/10/exotic-animal-ban-resurfaces-as.htmlIrresponsible people will continue to do irresponsible things, whether those things are legal or not. So, while the ban may have made this more difficult for someone going forward, I doubt that you would have really stopped a determined enough nut job.

kb2vxa
10-19-2011, 01:51 PM
This reminds me of the Maersk (yeah, that Maersk) incident a few years ago when her tigers repeatedly escaped their cages on her estate in Jackson, N. J. After a few years of legal wrangling the tiger wrangling began and they now reside each in a secure compound one here and one there, exact locations unknown. Here kitty kitty kitty... HELLO KITTY!

suddenseer
10-19-2011, 01:54 PM
I remember the debate in Columbus, Ohio. There were reports of people in 1 bedroom apartments with alligators, rattlesnakes, adult chimps, and a female lion. Even with a state law with no teeth, many municipalities have strong local ordinances. Every spring, there are a few gators found in Ohio waterways. This should not be. Gators don't belong here. These same people without any sense seem to be the most fertile as well.

W3WN
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I remember the debate in Columbus, Ohio. There were reports of people in 1 bedroom apartments with alligators, rattlesnakes, adult chimps, and a female lion. Even with a state law with no teeth, many municipalities have strong local ordinances. Every spring, there are a few gators found in Ohio waterways. This should not be. Gators don't belong here. These same people without any sense seem to be the most fertile as well.I hear you.

There were reports in the media about a week or so ago about an alligator being found near one of the local reservoirs. Obviously dumped there by it's former owner. The local water authority didn't want to let anyone on the property to corral it, just figured to leave it be and let winter's cold weather take it's course. The local animal rights activists raised a hubub, and at last report, they authority had consented to a search team...

but the real problem is the irresponsible ass wipes that dumped the poor creature in the first place...

W3MIV
10-19-2011, 03:30 PM
I find it difficult to describe any crocodilian as a "poor creature," tearful or otherwise. I would have no trouble at all putting a few hundred grains of lead alloy in its head.

n2ize
10-19-2011, 03:53 PM

I was thinking the same way. Do they really have to kill them ? It's not their fault they were abused and turned loose in an unfriendly environment. They are probably just as frightened of people as people are of them. Like you said, bring in some experts and tranquilize them and put them in a zoo, nature preserve, etc. They shouldn't have to die because of some irresponsible persons actions.

K7SGJ
10-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I remember the debate in Columbus, Ohio. There were reports of people in 1 bedroom apartments with alligators, rattlesnakes, adult chimps, and a female lion. Even with a state law with no teeth, many municipalities have strong local ordinances. Every spring, there are a few gators found in Ohio waterways. This should not be. Gators don't belong here. These same people without any sense seem to be the most fertile as well.

The way I see it, if they find the previous owner, or catch someone letting a gator go in local waterways, they shoud shove a big treble hook up their ass and troll the waterway slowly with them until the gator strikes. Throw the bait away and relocate the gator to where it belongs in the first place. Problem solved.

ab1ga
10-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I was thinking the same way. Do they really have to kill them ? It's not their fault they were abused and turned loose in an unfriendly environment. They are probably just as frightened of people as people are of them. Like you said, bring in some experts and tranquilize them and put them in a zoo, nature preserve, etc. They shouldn't have to die because of some irresponsible persons actions.

It's a fine sentiment, but the fact is that often the animals never find a permanent home and are ultimately euthanized. The exotic animals are often very expensive to care for, which may have been the root cause of the Ohio release and would explain a despondent suicide on the part of the owner. What the fool didn't realize is that zoos and other animal preserves have plenty of crocodiles, tigers, bears, etc. and won't take any more. It breaks my heart to think of it, but those animals were doomed the moment their owner set them loose and then denied them the means for survival by his death.

W3WN
10-20-2011, 07:29 AM
I find it difficult to describe any crocodilian as a "poor creature," tearful or otherwise. I would have no trouble at all putting a few hundred grains of lead alloy in its head.It was rasied in captivity, most likely as a pet, and dumped, hundreds if not thousands of miles from it's native habitat. And if left alone, it will soon die a cold death, if it doesn't get shot or poisoned first. All because some irresponsible Burt-type maroon couldn't or wouldn't be bothered to make other arrangements. That, and only that, is the context for calling it a "poor creature."

W3WN
10-20-2011, 07:37 AM
I was thinking the same way. Do they really have to kill them ? It's not their fault they were abused and turned loose in an unfriendly environment. They are probably just as frightened of people as people are of them. Like you said, bring in some experts and tranquilize them and put them in a zoo, nature preserve, etc. They shouldn't have to die because of some irresponsible persons actions.I saw the local sherrif on the news last night, and clearly he was getting hammered in the media and by the public for the "shoot to kill" order.

In his defense, it has to be pointed out that public safety comes first, and that these animals were released with no warning; were roaming unfamiliar territory looking for food and shelter; and when startled could and sometimes did become violent. And in at least one case, a vet tried shooting a tiger with a tranquilizer, and before the dart could have any effect, the animal went into a rampage over being shot... with the vet 15 feet or so away, about to be attacked and mauled, of course the cops shot the critter down.

There were other reports of people being charged by lions or tigers or other critters, although I haven't heard about any injuries. Yet.

Given more time, it's more likely that an attempt would have been made to capture more of the creatures alive. Time was not on anyone's side here.

This was an unusual and possibly unique situation. Who would have expected the owner of these creatures to deliberately let them loose on the public with no warning, at night, and then kill himself? And why? For revenge? We may never know. Clearly though, local law enforcement officers were not prepared for the situation... who prepares for this?

The worst part... the Bengal Tiger is an endangered species, there are said to be only about 2500 of them left. There were 18 tigers at this preserve, at least half were Bengals. All now dead.

KC2UGV
10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Irresponsible people will continue to do irresponsible things, whether those things are legal or not. So, while the ban may have made this more difficult for someone going forward, I doubt that you would have really stopped a determined enough nut job.

Irresponsible people can't own something that can't be sold or imported. Only deranged people, who would go out of their way could get their hands on it.

It's not like during the pre-ban expiration, you could get a bengal tiger on the corner for $10...

ab1ga
10-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Didn't Dilmus deal in exotic animals?
I detect a worrying trend....

n2ize
10-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I saw the local sherrif on the news last night, and clearly he was getting hammered in the media and by the public for the "shoot to kill" order.

In his defense, it has to be pointed out that public safety comes first, and that these animals were released with no warning; were roaming unfamiliar territory looking for food and shelter; and when startled could and sometimes did become violent. And in at least one case, a vet tried shooting a tiger with a tranquilizer, and before the dart could have any effect, the animal went into a rampage over being shot... with the vet 15 feet or so away, about to be attacked and mauled, of course the cops shot the critter down.

There were other reports of people being charged by lions or tigers or other critters, although I haven't heard about any injuries. Yet.

Given more time, it's more likely that an attempt would have been made to capture more of the creatures alive. Time was not on anyone's side here.

This was an unusual and possibly unique situation. Who would have expected the owner of these creatures to deliberately let them loose on the public with no warning, at night, and then kill himself? And why? For revenge? We may never know. Clearly though, local law enforcement officers were not prepared for the situation... who prepares for this?

The worst part... the Bengal Tiger is an endangered species, there are said to be only about 2500 of them left. There were 18 tigers at this preserve, at least half were Bengals. All now dead.

What was this so called "nature preserve" for ? was it a private zoo ? Did it serve as a place for scientific study ? Or was this another case of a fool with a lot of money satisfying a whim to be different and be noticed ? I personally don;t think any one person should be allowed to harbor close to 2 dozen tigres and loads of other animals that are rare to these parts.

n2ize
10-20-2011, 04:29 PM
It's a fine sentiment, but the fact is that often the animals never find a permanent home and are ultimately euthanized. The exotic animals are often very expensive to care for, which may have been the root cause of the Ohio release and would explain a despondent suicide on the part of the owner. What the fool didn't realize is that zoos and other animal preserves have plenty of crocodiles, tigers, bears, etc. and won't take any more. It breaks my heart to think of it, but those animals were doomed the moment their owner set them loose and then denied them the means for survival by his death.

Well, if they are going to kill them then how about cutting up the meat and sending it over hear so i can have it cooked next to some mashed potatoes, veggies, and gravy. Animals also = food. They go good cut, sliced, ground, in stews, etc. I hope they don;t let this good meat go to waste.

ab1ga
10-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Well, if they are going to kill them then how about cutting up the meat and sending it over hear so i can have it cooked next to some mashed potatoes, veggies, and gravy. Animals also = food. They go good cut, sliced, ground, in stews, etc. I hope they don;t let this good meat go to waste.

For all I know it goes to a zoo, where it's used to feed other animals.

W3MIV
10-20-2011, 06:46 PM
For all I know it goes to a zoo, where it's used to feed other animals.

Yonkers qualifies.

;)

KG4CGC
10-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Yonkers qualifies.

;)Hoboken.

n2ize
10-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Yonkers qualifies.

;)

Yes, you got that right, Yonkers is a friggin Zoo. I for the most part hate Yonkers. I The only reason I tolerate it is because I live in Crestwood, the richest section of Yonkers and i am within short (walking) distance from the nearby prestigious surrounding exquisite villages like Scarsdale and Bronxville, Mamaroneck, Larchmonte, New Rochelle that put Yonkers to shame. The only other thing is Yonkers does have a couple of the best pizzerias in the USA. But I would rather live in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Outside of NYC I have my eyes set of late on Dawson City YT as a possible future home. I would love to live up there in retirement. Peace and quiet and watching the aurora.

W3WN
10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Well, if they are going to kill them then how about cutting up the meat and sending it over hear so i can have it cooked next to some mashed potatoes, veggies, and gravy. Animals also = food. They go good cut, sliced, ground, in stews, etc. I hope they don;t let this good meat go to waste.Tastes like chicken.

W3WN
10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Yes, you got that right, Yonkers is a friggin Zoo. I for the most part hate Yonkers. I The only reason I tolerate it is because I live in Crestwood, the richest section of Yonkers and i am within short (walking) distance from the nearby prestigious surrounding exquisite villages like Scarsdale and Bronxville, Mamaroneck, Larchmonte, New Rochelle that put Yonkers to shame. The only other thing is Yonkers does have a couple of the best pizzerias in the USA. But I would rather live in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Outside of NYC I have my eyes set of late on Dawson City YT as a possible future home. I would love to live up there in retirement. Peace and quiet and watching the aurora.And work some DX.