PDA

View Full Version : Only one thing dumber than a truck driver

NQ6U
10-17-2011, 08:13 PM
And that's someone who wants to be a truck driver. And yet, here I am, teaching them what I know about same.

I just finished my first day of paid work in over two years and feel GOOD! Tired, but good.

W3MIV
10-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Mazel tov! Glad to hear you are again g'fully employed. I am counting on you to do the job well and put some good, responsible truckers on the road. There are too many young assholes out there, especially around here jockeying containers to and from Baltimore.

NQ6U
10-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Mazel tov! Glad to hear you are again g'fully employed. I am counting on you to do the job well and put some good, responsible truckers on the road. There are too many young assholes out there, especially around here jockeying containers to and from Baltimore.

Thanks, and I will do my best. And as for those container jockeys, that has more to do with the fact that they're paid by the trip than anything else. That's always a recipe for bad driving behavior.

KG4CGC
10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqsT4xnKZPg

K7SGJ
10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
When do you get to the ham radio section?

BTW Congrats on the FT job. Not having one sucks elephant dicks for a nickle a herd.

KG4CGC
10-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Only one thing dumber than a truck driver

A Swift truck driver.

NQ6U
10-17-2011, 10:10 PM
When do you get to the ham radio section?

Kind of funny you should ask that. The boss took me and another new hire instructor down to pee in the cup (an occupational hazard of being a truck driver), then we went to pick up a rental tractor over at Ryder. On the way there, we passed the San Diego HRO store and I said "oooooh, the candy store." Both my boss and the other instructor told me that they were interested in getting licensed. The other new instructor even has a bunch of Gordon West's license courses. I told them I'd do whatever I can to help them get their tickets.

KC2UGV
10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
This is kind of interesting. One of my ideas for my "retirement job" was truck driving (Another is bicycle vending of some sort)...

What is it that sucks about driving?

W5GA
10-18-2011, 07:58 AM
What is it that sucks about driving?
The regulations (necessary, but a PITA), and the other idiots on the road.

K7SGJ
10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Kind of funny you should ask that. The boss took me and another new hire instructor down to pee in the cup (an occupational hazard of being a truck driver), then we went to pick up a rental tractor over at Ryder. On the way there, we passed the San Diego HRO store and I said "oooooh, the candy store." Both my boss and the other instructor told me that they were interested in getting licensed. The other new instructor even has a bunch of Gordon West's license courses. I told them I'd do whatever I can to help them get their tickets.

Hmm. Might be some bonus $$ in there.

N7RJD
10-18-2011, 08:01 PM
A Swift truck driver.

SWIFT....Sure Wish I Finished Training.

KA9MOT
10-19-2011, 02:00 AM
And that's someone who wants to be a truck driver. And yet, here I am, teaching them what I know about same.

I just finished my first day of paid work in over two years and feel GOOD! Tired, but good.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Congratulations and good luck with the new job! Remember to tell your students to say NO! to Lease Purchase Agreements! My little brother got hosed 3 times before he learned to say NO!

I got a letter in the mail today... They are going to take my CDL away unless I can find a way to get a Medical Card...... That is my last connection to the trucking industry... I'll not let them have it. I'll just drive around illegally. I was one of the first people in the country to get the CDL. Turned in all 3 Chauffeurs Licenses in April 1990. The CDL examiner asked me to do a walk around because he had never had to do one.

kc7jty
10-19-2011, 03:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqsT4xnKZPg
That's Truman Capote isn't it?