PDA

View Full Version : Laptop CPU Operating Temp

n2ize
10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
What is a reasonable CPU core temp for a laptop ? My Mom has a Dell inspiron B130 laptop. Yesterday I added on a temperature monitoring widget and noticed that the CPU seems to run at around 156-162 deg F. When it is very busy, like when watching a fullscreen video or doing some intense processing it rises to around 190-195 deg F. Once the load is removed it rapidly drops back to around 156-162 deg F.

Is this normal ? I know these CPU's are designed to take extreme heat and they do get very hot, for instance, when I am doing video processing or CPU intense mathematical calculations on my desktop machine (which sits on the floor) I can literally feel the hot air rising like it was coming out of a floor space heater or a baseboard and the fans really rev up.

What is considered a normal op temp for the typical CPU ?

PA5COR
10-17-2011, 05:17 PM
They can become quite hot.
Though i clean out the fan ( removing the cover and clean the fan itsself and the heatsink) every 3 months because the lappie sees long time use every day, dual core Pentium in a Acer 7720G.

That keeps the temperature lower as you saw it, though the accuracy of such widget using the onboard NTC can have a fault error.
But serious use will rise the temperature considerably indeed ;)

kf0rt
10-17-2011, 05:31 PM
I know these CPU's are designed to take extreme heat and they do get very hot, for instance, when I am doing video processing or CPU intense mathematical calculations

I've never quite understood this.

If the CPU is running, it's executing instructions -- should run at the same temp no matter what it's doing (at least in 1978...).

By what mechanism is temperature related to application?

KC2UGV
10-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I've never quite understood this.

If the CPU is running, it's executing instructions -- should run at the same temp no matter what it's doing (at least in 1978...).

By what mechanism is temperature related to application?

Power stepping. They throttle down now when now in use.

KG4CGC
10-17-2011, 09:52 PM
With the changes I've made to the CPU, MB and etc, I should get a bigger heatsink. Fan too. I just don't want another set up that sounds like the 09L at Heathrow.

N6YG
10-17-2011, 11:57 PM
What is a reasonable CPU core temp for a laptop ? My Mom has a Dell inspiron B130 laptop. Yesterday I added on a temperature monitoring widget and noticed that the CPU seems to run at around 156-162 deg F. When it is very busy, like when watching a fullscreen video or doing some intense processing it rises to around 190-195 deg F. Once the load is removed it rapidly drops back to around 156-162 deg F.

Is this normal ? I know these CPU's are designed to take extreme heat and they do get very hot, for instance, when I am doing video processing or CPU intense mathematical calculations on my desktop machine (which sits on the floor) I can literally feel the hot air rising like it was coming out of a floor space heater or a baseboard and the fans really rev up.

What is considered a normal op temp for the typical CPU ?

You need a better case and fan for your desktop. My CPU, hd.. Run at about 5 to 15 degrees above ambient. Of course I have a huge passive CPU heat sink and it's all installed in a Cool Master Haf 932 (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2810) server case which uses two very low RPM (700rpm 19db 230mm) fans. I also have several other computers that are built into older Thermaltake Armor cases which also work very well.

The thing I like most about these big server cases is how extremely quite and easy they are to work on. Long gone are the days where computers sounded like idling 747's. Now my computers are so quite I actually have to look at the LED's to see if they're still running

KB3LAZ
10-18-2011, 08:11 PM
My quad core runs at about 68c dual core at about 62c. Both peak at about 70 when gaming. Which is on par with the specifications of my CPU. If those 90c or so peaks you are seeing become average Id start to worry, otherwise seems about average. Sometimes a Simple laptop cooler goes a long way other times they are useless.

I had an old laptop that would peak out at about 100c when this happened it would shut down for 10 mins or so. :P (ofc I knew this was a bad thing but was a 5 year old abused laptop so it was time for a new one.)

N6YG
10-18-2011, 09:18 PM
My quad core runs at about 68c dual core at about 62c. Both peak at about 70 when gaming. Which is on par with the specifications of my CPU. If those 90c or so peaks you are seeing become average Id start to worry, otherwise seems about average. Sometimes a Simple laptop cooler goes a long way other times they are useless.

I had an old laptop that would peak out at about 100c when this happened it would shut down for 10 mins or so. :P (ofc I knew this was a bad thing but was a 5 year old abused laptop so it was time for a new one.)

I had an HP desktop come in for repair that was so poorly designed HD temps would hit 100c and cpu temps were in the 90's. I cleaned up the cabling machined two holes in the side of the case and installed two 120mm fans with grills and filters which significantly reduced operating temps. I also had to relocate the HD to a location that actually had some airflow and that required fabricating a mount.

The owner really liked the computer and was willing to pay for the work. unfortunately it used a proprietary MB/case design which prevented swapping cases. Anyhow I still think the cool master HAF case is one of the better cases available.

It's large enough to use a massive passive CPU heat sink which eliminates high speed CPU fans which dramatically quiet's down the system. And unlike cases which again use loud high rpm 80mm fans, It's use of very large slow turning 230+ mm fans makes it one of the quietest and coolest running cases I have ever used.