PDA

View Full Version : New Mac and Cheese recipe I gotta try

W1GUH
10-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, OK, it's Martha Stewart's, but it DOES sound really good. Will be trying it soon...

Martha Stewart's Perfect Baked Macaroni & Cheese (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/martha-stewarts-perfect-baked-macaroni-cheese-2583441/)

Ever since Jefferson got his macaroni machine, and possibly even before that, American home cooks have been on a quest to get it right -- we want the bouncy noodles, the creamy cheese sauce, and the crunchy cap.

If you find yourself on this quest, just listen to Martha Stewart. Her version is downright perfect, and might even be the most popular recipe in the history of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. (Omnimedia!), by their count.

NQ6U
10-14-2011, 02:04 PM
She learned how to cook it in 50 gallon batches while she was in the slammer.

W1GUH
10-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Hmmmm....probaby DID stir the pot a lot.

W3MIV
10-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I am preparing to make my own recipe this evening. Simple. Neat. Fast and not at all fancy. (Foo on Martha!)

2 cups elbows, cooked al dente;
1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatos;
cheddar to suit, both grade and quantity; I like yellow extra sharp for this;
1 tbs "Italian" seasoning (I have McCormick on hand, but any similar mix of rosemary, basil, thyme, marjoram and oregano will suit);
1 tbs dehydrated onion flakes (again, I have McC but any will do);

Suitable deep dish that is safe in the oven -- I use an oven-proof antique Hall's Superior mixing bowl of about three quarts that was sold by A&P in the 30s;

Put half the macraroni in the bowl, sprinkle half the onion and seasoning on top; use half of the tomatos, reserving the juice; salt and pepper lightly;
top with as much cheese as you like (I like a lot -- my xyl likes less, but since I am the cook... );

Repeat, putting remaining elbows on top of cheese and following with other ingredients in order. Pour reserved tomato liquor over all. Cover with dense layer of grated cheese.*

Put in 350°F oven and bake for about fifty minutes.

Eat.

*I usually use grated store-brand (I know, Bill, I know...) cheddar, but also will slab a brick if that is what I have on hand when the urge hits me. Today I have both, so will use the bagged stuff.

W1GUH
10-14-2011, 03:37 PM
No béchamel? Might be the best part!

But yours sounds delicious, too. Especially the tomatoe. Guess I gotta try both. Last batch I made with white wine. Added a really nice touch.

WØTKX
10-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Simpler yet. Extra sharp cheddar, mix in a little bit of A1 Steak Sauce to taste. That's it!

I've also added mushrooms to this simple mix. Yummy.

W3MIV
10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
:rant:

Cooked the elbows, got all the stuff in the bowl and was preheating the oven when the damned bottom oven element decided to rupture in a spectacular display. Lots of smoke and one pissed off cook. :rant:

Put the bowl in the microwave. Forgot there is -- uh, was -- metallic gold type on the bottom and some metallic gold scrolls on the side. Ah, well. GE builds one tough microwave!

Have no idea how long to cook it, so I treated it as a casserole on the "auto-cook" menu and we shall see.

Can't really complain about the oven. Twas built in May 1986 and has done yeoman work all these years without a single fidget. Guess I'll see if I can get a replacement element; looks like an easy replacement.

Still...

:rant::rant:

K7SGJ
10-14-2011, 04:55 PM
It a piece of cake to replace the element. What's time consuming and expensive is replacing all the other shit you break getting to it.

W3MIV
10-14-2011, 07:21 PM
I used the microwave, which was an adventure for me. I hate microwave cooking (ordinarily). Came out almost the same as it would have in the conventional oven -- took about one-third of the time. I was surprised that the cheese was browned almost in the same way as the oven, but seemed a bit "chewier" and tougher. Imagination? Could very well be; I have one.

As for the element, I shall not get into it until tomorrow. Looks to be simple enough; seems I can get the element out and deal with its wiring without removing the unit from the wall.

This house KNOWS that I am planning to sell it come spring. :scared:

WØTKX
10-14-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm glad it all came out cheesy peasy in the end, and you got your CHEESE. :)

W1GUH
10-15-2011, 04:48 AM
:rant:

Cooked the elbows, got all the stuff in the bowl and was preheating the oven when the damned bottom oven element decided to rupture in a spectacular display. Lots of smoke and one pissed off cook. :rant:

Put the bowl in the microwave. Forgot there is -- uh, was -- metallic gold type on the bottom and some metallic gold scrolls on the side. Ah, well. GE builds one tough microwave!

Have no idea how long to cook it, so I treated it as a casserole on the "auto-cook" menu and we shall see.

Can't really complain about the oven. Twas built in May 1986 and has done yeoman work all these years without a single fidget. Guess I'll see if I can get a replacement element; looks like an easy replacement.

Still...

:rant::rant:

metallic gold type on the bottom and some metallic gold scrolls on the side.

Great sparks!

As for "heating element" -- never liked electric ranges. Totally prefer gas - tighter control on the burners.

Enjoy! Did you ever try that recipe with bacon?

W3MIV
10-15-2011, 06:29 AM
I prefer a gas cooktop, but an electric oven. When this house was built in 1987, there was no gas main in the community, ergo the (upscale) wall oven/microwave combo was all electric. It had a Jenn-Aire cooktop. The cooktop went on the fritz after a few years, and I replaced it with a new radiant smooth-top. Three weeks later, BGE informed us they were running natural gas into the community and were offering free hookup and a deal on the installation of gas furnaces. No joke. Three effing weeks after spending more than a grand on the new cooktop.

I did the furnace deal and have been well pleased. I kept the cooktop since I had been cooking on electric for so long I have become accustomed to its peculiarities. The plus of the smooth-top is the ease of cleaning it and that it is a uniform part of the island counter surface.

I have not tried bacon in the macaroni, but I occasionally add thin chunks of cooked, hot Italian sausage to it.

W3MIV
10-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Looks like a piece of cake. (Of course, I have been down that "piece-of-cake" road before -- :roll:. )

Ordered the element from PartSelect for $18. Cheap!

W1GUH
10-15-2011, 11:01 AM
but I occasionally add thin chunks of cooked, hot Italian sausage to it.

That sound good, too!

KB3LAZ
10-16-2011, 04:26 AM
Im a fan of noodles and cheese. No bread, or tomatoes, or w/e. :P

WØTKX
10-16-2011, 08:36 PM
No garlic, either. :mrgreen:

NQ6U
10-16-2011, 09:32 PM
No garlic, either. :mrgreen:

Heretic.

KB3LAZ
10-16-2011, 11:37 PM
All "Lol's" aside, I despise garlic.

K7SGJ
10-17-2011, 09:26 AM
All "Lol's" aside, I despise garlic.

Must be the vampire side of you.

W1GUH
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Whipped up a dish of Ms. Stewart's recipe.

It cooked perfectly came out wonderfully browned.

Was delicious -- but wasn't as creamy as promised. I'm witholding final judgement about that until I try one of the portions I froze.

I'm thinking that the Mac and Cheese that "Mom made way back when." was a different kind of recipe. I remember TOTALLY creamy sauce. All the recipes I"ve tried just haven't been that creamy. Ah, well....

Maybe I should make it with Cheez Whiz?

K7SGJ
10-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Whipped up a dish of Ms. Stewart's recipe.

It cooked perfectly came out wonderfully browned.

Was delicious -- but wasn't as creamy as promised. I'm witholding final judgement about that until I try one of the portions I froze.

I'm thinking that the Mac and Cheese that "Mom made way back when." was a different kind of recipe. I remember TOTALLY creamy sauce. All the recipes I"ve tried just haven't been that creamy. Ah, well....

Maybe I should make it with Cheez Whiz?

My Moms was a real creamy white sauce. Not having a lot of $$ back then, she used a brick of Velveeta in place of the cheddar and Romano; the rest of the recipe is very similar. She also drizzled butter on top of the croutons prior to baking. Good stuff.

n2ize
10-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Well, OK, it's Martha Stewart's, but it DOES sound really good. Will be trying it soon...

Martha Stewart's Perfect Baked Macaroni & Cheese (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/martha-stewarts-perfect-baked-macaroni-cheese-2583441/)

See, you and Reagan did agree on something.