PDA

View Full Version : I've not done this before but........

KA9MOT
10-14-2011, 01:38 PM
I was wondering, does anybody have a spare HF rig they would trust me enough to loan me until I can scrape together enough funds to buy another.
I ended up having to sell my last rig in September so I could help with an unexpected bill my family is still trying to pay. I have resonant antennas (Butternut HF-9V and a OCF Dipole 80M and up), I am jonesing real bad here. I don't even have a receiver any more.

I'm sure I could come up with enough money for shipping.

PA5COR
10-15-2011, 03:22 AM
Sad you live there and i'm here, too far, too costly.
Just get my FT 847 back from a m8 that had his Icom Pro 3 zapped and needed a spare rig for the 2 months it took to be repaired.

I have the FT 2000 D and Ft 847, and the FT 100 mobile here.

KA9MOT
10-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the thought COR. That is a very long way.

N8YX
10-16-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a couple of Cubic Astro 102s which need fixed, and which I am in no hurry to sell - unless someone wants to buy one of them. Let me take a look under the hoods and see what I can come up with.

W2NAP
10-16-2011, 02:14 PM
i feel your pain mate. im hf less now to. (I can listen) but cant talk

KA9MOT
10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a couple of Cubic Astro 102s which need fixed, and which I am in no hurry to sell - unless someone wants to buy one of them. Let me take a look under the hoods and see what I can come up with.

That is a cool looking rig. I've never heard of this one. It looks very interesting. And thanks for considering it.

KA9MOT
10-16-2011, 06:06 PM
i feel your pain mate. im hf less now to. (I can listen) but cant talk

I'd like to say that I happy to be in good company, but I can't. This sucks. I know your pain...I'd rather have a sore toe.

N2CHX
10-16-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm kinda wishing I hadn't sold my Icom. If I still had it, I would loan you my backup Atlas 201x, which currently is my main. And actually, the probability of me finding the time to get on the air right now is pretty low. How long do you think you would need it?

KA9MOT
10-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm kinda wishing I hadn't sold my Icom. If I still had it, I would loan you my backup Atlas 201x, which currently is my main. And actually, the probability of me finding the time to get on the air right now is pretty low. How long do you think you would need it?

You should probably keep your Atlas......It is the only thing you've got and even a little time is better than none.

I should have mentioned the important fact that I probably not be able to get a radio before February.....

N2CHX
10-16-2011, 07:02 PM
You should probably keep your Atlas......It is the only thing you've got and even a little time is better than none.

I should have mentioned the important fact that I probably not be able to get a radio before February.....

Yeah well, I still need to fix my power supply. That and my husband owes me bigtime right now so the possibility of spending some $ on a new (used) rig is pretty good.

W3WN
10-18-2011, 07:40 AM
I have a TS-520 that I'm not using at the moment, with a set of spare tubes yet. I don't mind loaning it, but I'm not sure how I'd get it to you.

KA9MOT
10-18-2011, 01:24 PM
WOW! A TS-520! One of many legendary old radios I've never had the opportunity to use. I really like the older radios. Always have.

The only way would be to ship it. I imagine that is a pretty heavy rig and I am always hesitant to ship a heavy rig. If you decide to you could ship it, I can pay for shipping, but we would have to hold off until the 3rd of November.

Thanks for the offer Ron.

W3WN
10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
WOW! A TS-520! One of many legendary old radios I've never had the opportunity to use. I really like the older radios. Always have.

The only way would be to ship it. I imagine that is a pretty heavy rig and I am always hesitant to ship a heavy rig. If you decide to you could ship it, I can pay for shipping, but we would have to hold off until the 3rd of November.

Thanks for the offer Ron.Yeah, it's got some mass to it. Not a true boat anchor, like an HT-37, but enough.

What I don't have is any proper way to pack it. A bunch of wadded up newspaper is not going to work, trust me! So let me see what I can find.

KA9MOT
10-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Yeah, it's got some mass to it. Not a true boat anchor, like an HT-37, but enough.

What I don't have is any proper way to pack it. A bunch of wadded up newspaper is not going to work, trust me! So let me see what I can find.

I've given this some thought, and I appreciate the offer, but I think that it is too risky to ship this rig. See my next post.

KA9MOT
10-19-2011, 01:48 AM
I asked you guys a huge favor and I must say, your response has been touching. After all, none of you really know me.
I discussed Ron possibly shipping the Kenwood with my wife and she brought up some valid points. If a rig got damaged or lost during shipping I could not afford to replace it. So, I won't be accepting any rigs from you guys. There is too much of a risk involved.

Thank you so much for your consideration.

I'm going to ask some of the locals and see if I can come up with a loaner that way...and if not, I'll just have to tough it out.

Thanks again guys and gals...

W3WN
10-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Well, here's a thought...

I picked up a little 20 meter QRP rig at the last hamfest. I want to say off the top of my head it's a K9AY design, but I want to double-check that in the shack tonight. (The design was published in QST, and the author made them available for a time directly).

It's not much power, and it's CW only, but I'm willing to loan THAT rig to you for the time being. As it's all solid state, shipping shouldn't be a hassle. And if the post office dings it, well, my investment would be meager.

I do plan to play with it at some point, but not in the immediate future (suffice to say the price was right, and it was just too good an opportunity to pass up!), so it's worth the (low) risk to me.

KA9MOT
10-20-2011, 02:15 AM
Hmmm....that would give me a reason to learn CW........ :lol:

W3WN
10-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Hmmm....that would give me a reason to learn CW........ :lol:There ya go! :evil:

Here's one link to more info about the K9AY rig: http://www.kd5om.com/AAEngineeringQRP.htm

Think about it & let me know. No rush.

N8YX
10-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Another thought:

For the cost of shipping a full-sized amateur transceiver plus power supply, you could get an HR2510/2600 - or an HW-8. As nice as 10 has been working lately I think I would opt for the 2600 and connect it to a simple vertical or dipole.

KC2UGV
10-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Another thought:

For the cost of shipping a full-sized amateur transceiver plus power supply, you could get an HR2510/2600 - or an HW-8. As nice as 10 has been working lately I think I would opt for the 2600 and connect it to a simple vertical or dipole.

I'm kicking myself now for selling my HTX-10...