PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 11.10 is here

KA9MOT
10-14-2011, 01:31 AM
My old 'puter said it is time to upgrade......... I'll let ya' know how that goes.

So far, it goes slowly. I have a 21MB connection and it took 2 hours to DL 900MB...................

I hope things improve.... my current version is 10.10 and here lately the old girl has been locking up.

BTW, The Old Girl is Dell Dimmension with a P4 @ 2 point something GHz processor and 2 Gig of Ram.... nothing special.

KC2UGV
10-14-2011, 06:45 AM
It's supposed to be head and shoulders above 11.04... I'm not totally sold on Unity yet, but then again, I generally only do a server install, with FluxBox on top of it.

KA9MOT
10-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I don't have clue what that is, but that is why I am a Ubuntu fan. I see some differences with the graphical interface, but so far that is it.

KC2UGV
10-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't have clue what that is, but that is why I am a Ubuntu fan. I see some differences with the graphical interface, but so far that is it.

FluxBox is just a different windowing system :)

There's not too much difference in the workings of Unity vs. Gnome; but in your case it's "better", because there are fewer options to play with (aka break).

Not meaning to sound condescending, but you don't sound like tinkering with stuff like the settings for the internal workings of your windowing system, is your cup of tea.

KA9MOT
10-14-2011, 11:08 AM
I love to tinker with stuff! It is the best way for me to learn. However, with software, you can't hold it in your hand and examine it.

BTW, when I said I see some difference with the graphical interface, I was comparing Ubuntu 11.04 (What I really had, not 10.10 like I thought) to 11.10. I think I am going to like 11.10 once I figure out the menu system.... I like tree style menus......this is a menu bar with icons.

NQ6U
10-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I love to tinker with stuff! It is the best way for me to learn. However, with software, you can't hold it in your hand and examine it.

Yeah. The ones and zeros leak out and make a mess on the floor, then you can never get them back in the right order again.

KA9MOT
10-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah. The ones and zeros leak out and make a mess on the floor, then you can never get them back in the right order again.

LOL! Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

KC2UGV
10-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Not too much different than breaking the case of an IC open, and letting all the magick smoke out...

W3WN
10-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just downloaded the ISO, and hopefully I'll have time this weekend to play with it... famous last words...

mw0uzo
10-15-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm still not getting on with Unity or Gnome 3, so I have been experimenting with Xubuntu on an old laptop. Its certainly come on a lot from the awful bloat that ruined the slim xfce desktop. When the next LTS comes out in 6 months, I think I will be migrating to Xubuntu.
(Debian didn't work out in the end, got fed up with last minute configuration slowing down what should have been quick tasks)

KA9MOT
10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I think I am going to like it. I've not had my computer lock up since I upgraded, but for some odd reason my setting for Evolution have gone away and now I have to remember all my email passwords to use it again, so I'll just continue to use my browser to get me email....

I'm still not sure about those buttons running down the left side of my monitor.... I don't currently like them, but I can't figure out how to put the old style menu on the thin like I used to have.......

mw0uzo
10-15-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm still not sure about those buttons running down the left side of my monitor.... I don't currently like them, but I can't figure out how to put the old style menu on the thin like I used to have.......

If you install Gnome 3 from the software center, you can select gnome classic which will return to a similar (but different) desktop like gnome 2. Not tested, but if you install just gnome-panel then that will allow you to get the classic desktop without the whole of gnome 3. Gnome 2 has been completely removed, so if you particularly liked gnome 2 (like me) then you will have no choice but to use gnome 3 classic or use another desktop like xfce instead.

KA9MOT
10-15-2011, 07:08 PM
And I messed it up. I was foolin' around and discovered they didn't have the drivers installed for my nVidia card........so I installed them. All of a sudden my monitor is not recognized and I'm stuck with 800X600 resolution....So I uninstalled that driver and still my monitor is stuck at 800X600.......

So, back on the windows machine. I had to find an old 200GB Hard drive and install it so I could copy all 87GB of music I somehow managed to amass on that computer in the few months I have been using it. Everything is saved, now time to do a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10. Maybe I'll dig up one of my old ATI video cards before I do.

N6YG
10-15-2011, 09:23 PM
My old 'puter said it is time to upgrade......... I'll let ya' know how that goes.

So far, it goes slowly. I have a 21MB connection and it took 2 hours to DL 900MB...................

I hope things improve.... my current version is 10.10 and here lately the old girl has been locking up.

BTW, The Old Girl is Dell Dimmension with a P4 @ 2 point something GHz processor and 2 Gig of Ram.... nothing special.

Ubuntu is a very stable system. My computer runs 24-7 for months at a time. About the only time it gets shut down is when theres a power outage (4 this year so far)or when I want to work on it. If your systems been locking up its probably not the OS. Personally I would start searching for the real culprit. For example failing power supplies are notorious for causing lockups and instability. In fact I would say the majority of computers that come to me for repair are suffering from either bad memory of failing power supplies. If I was you the first thing I would do is load a live CD and do the memory test. Bad memory can corrupt OS files and cause all sorts of problems including lockups.

Another good way to test memory is to run md5sum on a large file such as a 4 to 8 gig video. After the checksum has been created move the file to another HD and check it again with md5sum. This method will catch bad memory that even the most expensive memory testers fail to catch.

I simply can't overstate the stability of the various Linux operating systems. For example I have a dedicated Linux based firewall. It's built on a micro ITX system, boots from a write protected CF card and runs off 12 volts provided by a 55ah AGM battery which is solar charged. It's been running continuously 24-7 for over 5 years.

ad4mg
10-16-2011, 04:12 AM
I think I am going to like it. I've not had my computer lock up since I upgraded, but for some odd reason my setting for Evolution have gone away and now I have to remember all my email passwords to use it again, so I'll just continue to use my browser to get me email....

At the password screen, a drop-down box at the bottom right allows you to select "Ubuntu-Classic". This will start Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop. The selection titled just "Ubuntu" starts with the Unity desktop.