PDA

View Full Version : Wallingford is a great hamfest!

W1GUH
10-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Lots and lots of great hams there - tend to the OF vintage (I love that, of course), beautiful setting in CT, good food, and lots and lots of vendors.

Saw loads of great BA's. One guy was selling a Heath Marauder for $175 (asking), another a Warrior for $225. THANK GOPOD I HAVE NO USE OR ROOM FOR THEM OR THE MONEY WOULD HAVE FLOWN OUT OF MY POCKET! Both were cosmetically excellent. Saw a 75S-3, also cosmetically excellent...nay....PERFECT....wanted $550. If I didn't already have one or had room for one more, that one would've followed me home. Saw an excellent small Johnson Matchbox with meter for $150 - another one w/o meter for $75.

Now, into the more "desirable" (meaning too damn expensive) radios....

A TMC SSB receiver converter. Damn fine piece of equipment, but is it really worth $300+?

A CBS Audimax. Had one in the 90's and that could be the most "fun" piece of audio processing I've used. But the guy wanted $400 - claimed they go for $600 on eBay. No, thanks, I got mine in '91 for $75. But it IS a fun thing if you find one for a decent price.

ART-13, asking $300.

"Started" hi-power AM rig with 2 4-400's. Not finished, but I think the RF deck is ready to go - $175!!!! Another piece that would've followed me home IF..

All I remember in the BA department.

Found a few parts I've been looking for. Small stuff, like a pot and a filament transformer - but that's stuff that kinda hard to find at most hamfests.

ECARS had a table there so I got to meed one of the net control stations. That's a GREAT bunch of people and they're worth checking into on 7255 to say hi, especially from a mobile rig.

Also saw Dave, K1ZZ - CEO of the ARRL. Great guy & we've got some common ham radio stuff from 1970.

C'mon out next year. This one's worth a drive & a stay. It's big and there's lots of goodies there.

Oh, yea, last but not least....

40 was WIDE OPEN to MD this morning. Listening, Albi? Try another sked next weekend? I'll be en route to or at Deerfield.