PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading an old computer

N1LAF
10-07-2011, 08:19 AM
I am upgrading an old computer, it is about 12 years old. Works like a champ, was a upper end system in it's day.

It has the ASUS CUSL2 motherboard, 128 MB of memory, running Windows 98SE and Windows 2K, dual boot, on a removable HD tray. BIOS version 1001A, With the Sound Blaster Audio drive kit. It is the last system I put together from components I bought from a computer fair, multiple vendors.

After 12 years, it is due for a hard drive replacement. Best Buy had a sale on 320 GB drives PATA for $54. Got it. But... need to update the BIOS before I can use it. The latest BIOS, circa 2002, was still on the ASUS website. Downloaded it. First I replaced the BIOS battery, because it wasn't keeping date and processor information. New battery fixed this.

Then tested the floppy drive to make sure it still works. Verified it still works, and I can boot from a newly formatted floppy disk.

Copied the FLASH utility and the new BIOS to the boot floppy, and flashed the BIOS. Now at 1014.001

Before I setup the system with the new hard drive, I will be upgrading the memory. 512 MB max by the motherboard spec. Found the appropriate memory on walmart.com. It is a Crucial 103270 memory, 512 MB, PC-133 168 pin SDRAM, unbuffered. This will be here by Oct 18th.

I will now put together a strategy of triple-boot this system on the new Hard Drive. Has anyone triple boot with Win98/2000/XP? I imagine I will partition on this hard drive, a 30 GB FAT32, and the rest NTSF.