PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Alfredo

suddenseer
10-06-2011, 11:20 AM
No kidding, this recipe is a winner to my taste buds. It is good for new vegans (like me), or omnivores who want to cut their cholesterol intake a bit. My daughter who is an Alfredo prisoner loves it. I made some to share at our camp out with pagans last weekend. I ran out. I serve it over chicken seitan cutlets, which can be found at most grocery stores, peas, and whatever pasta I have on hand at the time.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
2 cups of plain soymilk
1 pkg. of extra firm silken tofu (Mori-Nu)
4 tbsp of white wine
2 tbsp of onion powder
3 tsp of garlic powder
2 tsp of sea salt or Kosher salt
1 tsp of pepper
2-3 tbsp arrowroot powder

1. Blend all ingredients except arrowroot powder in a food processor (or blender on high) until creamy smooth. Heat in a saucepan over med-lo heat until just about bubbling.
2. Remove some of the sauce and mix with 2 tbsp of the arrowroot, return to saucepan. heat, but don't boil. If sauce is too thin, remove more sauce, and mix in 1 tbsp of arrowroot powder, add to saucepan. Wisk smooth.
3. Serve over pasta, with peas, and chicken seitan slices.

I got the idea for this recipe from the Vegan Dad website, but has been modified for my taste.

So far, the vegan lifestyle has been wonderful. To all of you diabetics out there: My A1C test went from 7.1 to 5.9 in 90 days. That is almost a normal non-diabetic result. My doctor told me I am the only patient of his that has improved so quickly. He took my off of the statin meds as well. I get to eat wonderful meals like this one, and am getting healthier at the same time. My glucose reading 2 hours after a meal like this one is usually about 120. I can dig it.

W1GUH
10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Think I'd prefer rice cakes.

NQ6U
10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I thought this thread was going to be full of evidence that Albi is actually an extraterrestrial from the Vega system.

kc7jty
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
I thought this thread was going to be full of evidence that Albi is actually an extraterrestrial from the Vega system.
He's got the Baltimore accent down perfect if he is.

n2ize
10-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Think I'd prefer rice cakes.

It may not be everyone's favorite recipe but when you are eating for your health it is important. And, it sure beats the ultra-bland approach.

NQ6U
10-06-2011, 04:27 PM
He's got the Baltimore accent down perfect if he is.

The accent didn't come across during our PSK31 QSO.

WØTKX
10-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I've tried soy milk products. The almond flavored is my favorite for drinking or cereal.

Tried using it (unflavored) in sauces, but real cream or half and half is noticeably better. I cheat by using 1/2 cream, and half decent store bought Alfredo. Usually doctored up with dill and maybe extra garlic.

Various veggies cooked with noodles then add shrimp, salmon or chicken. Sometimes I'll have the meat on the side. Sauce poured over everything. Topped off with Romano and/or Parmesan.

suddenseer
10-07-2011, 05:52 AM
I am not trying to convert omnivores to vegan. I only offer recipes to those who may want to lower cholesterol, and fat by skipping the animal products once in a while. I jumped on the band wagon because of my poor health. After a round of chemo, and radiation, and lung infections, and steroid injections, I found myself weak, low immunity, very sick I gained 60 pounds in one month during the steroid shots. I can tell you the chocolate Ensure does not make one vomit like the vanilla does. There is at least one out there (you know who you are) who has had a similar experience.

I have been doing this for 4 months now. I am in much better health. I am taking walks, and taking my granddaughter to the playground. I feel alive again. I feel good. Eating plant life is the primary reason that I feel good.

W3MIV
10-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Homo sapiens is an omnivore. Ergo, meat is not injurious or unhealthy for us. The issue is the amount of meat we Americans -- and a steadily growing portion of the "developed" world (so-called) consume daily.

On another note: I have never visited Vega or any of its companions. Neither did I ever own one of those execrable automobiles. :hand: