PDA

View Full Version : Got my Tuner back... ERROR!

W9JAM
10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Got my tuner back from LDG, however they sent my a NEW z-817, but the cable that came with the new one is bad :( Do radios hate me that much?

N8YX
10-06-2011, 07:18 AM
What's involved in building a cable for one of these tuners?

W3WN
10-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Got my tuner back from LDG, however they sent my a NEW z-817, but the cable that came with the new one is bad :( Do radios hate me that much?No, they're just displaying a very ironic sense of humor.

Call LDG and ask them to send you a replacement. Shouldn't be a problem if the cable is bad from the get-go.

KC9ECI
10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I have to send my tuner in. It went tits up a few months ago. I've had it in a box ready to go, just haven't been motivated to take it up to the post office. I've been using a MFJ-949. Amazing at how fast you can tune a rig with one of those things once you've done it a few times.

W1GUH
10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Forgive this set-in-his-ways OF a comment about tuners that ya gotta send back to get fixed.

Fuggetaboudit!!!!! A Johnson Matchbox or a home-built link-coupled tuner will out-perform any other tuner out there and will never, ever, ever break unless it gets hit by lightning or a bajillion watts of RF. But you pay the price. You actually have to TUNE the damn things & it's so hard to reach up to turn the knobs!

OK...off the :soapbox:

W1GUH
10-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I have to send my tuner in. It went tits up a few months ago. I've had it in a box ready to go, just haven't been motivated to take it up to the post office. I've been using a MFJ-949. Amazing at how fast you can tune a rig with one of those things once you've done it a few times.

Uh-huh. Especially if you make a chart of settings/band!

KC9ECI
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Uh-huh. Especially if you make a chart of settings/band!

That is the secret of my success...a chart. I would still prefer to have my autotuner though. Makes band hopping in contests or DX chasing a little less of an ordeal.

W1GUH
10-09-2011, 07:41 PM
That is the secret of my success...a chart. I would still prefer to have my autotuner though. Makes band hopping in contests or DX chasing a little less of an ordeal.

Yep...considering the competitiveness, that's the one application for an auto-tuner. Thanks for pointing that out. Good luck!

W9JAM
10-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Well I talked to LDG and they said that the believe the problem is the Cat cable and suggested I build my own.... Needless to say, I'm NOT impressed with them right now...

btw, I didn't know that Walter Cronkite had the same radio I had when he was alive... the things you find on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z9136_Nhh4