PDA

View Full Version : Firefox for Mac

NQ6U
10-01-2011, 12:19 AM
I always liked Safari (Apple's default browser) well enough but recently I've become disappointed by it's lack of privacy features. There is no easy way to deal with tracking cookies, Web bugs and the like, which bothers me a lot given the way many site owners like to track their visitors across the Web. Safari does allow plug-ins and there are some available but the number and function is limited, plus they're usually not free. While I don't mind paying for good software, I'm always reluctant to spend $20 on it if I can't at least try it out first.

So, yesterday, after I deleted all the cookies, quit and restarted Safari, went back in without ever visiting a Web site and found 300+ cookies once again, I got pissed off and installed Firefox. Woo-hoo, am I ever glad I did! Not only are the built-in privacy setting far better than what Safari has to offer, there's a ton of great, free security and privacy plug-ins. Plus, it's noticeably faster than Safari as well. One of the reasons I'd stopped using Firefox before was it had become bloated and slow. Not any more.

I highly recommend a Firefox 7 test drive for any Mac users out there on the Island.

KC2UGV
10-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Really? FF over Safari? Personally, FF just seems too slow to me, since I bought into the Chrome cult :)

NQ6U
10-03-2011, 03:32 PM
The Mac version of Chrome sucks eggs, which is odd when you consider it uses Apple's own WebKit HTML engine. But there's no doubt that FF is noticeably faster than Safari. I also used Chrome on the XP machine out in the shack for a while but ended up going back to FF because it was more stable and didn't have as many issues with certain Web sites.